Sore black lab?

Breed: American Black Lab
Hi,
I have a 6 1/2 year old extremely active Black Lab named Miller. He loves to jump and catch balls and jump and catch Frisbees. On Tuesday, we think he might have strained something in his abdomen area - he isn't limping, yelping or whimpering when you examine him - his activity is just less than normal. Food and water consumption is fine...he is just slower to get up on the couch or fetching a ball. It seems to bother him for any kind of stretching. Can I give him Aleve or something else for inflammation? He has a prescription for Tramadol 25mcg but I wasn't sure if this would help in this case. Thanks so much!!!

I'm sorry to hear that Miller is not feeling well. Any time a lab doesn't want to be active, we know there is a problem!

It would be uncommon for a dog to strain something in the abdomen. However, what you have described could indicate a back problem. Often if dogs have a sore back they will be reluctant to jump and move slowly. A back problem can be hard to pick up unless you are trained in doing back exams, and even then, sometimes it can be hard to diagnose.

There are other possibilities, as his symptoms are kind of vague. Are his gums nice and pink? I've seen dogs with abdominal bleeding have symptoms like this. If this were the case then his gums would be very pale. If you think this is happening then he needs to see a vet right away.

It's also possible that he has some abdominal cramping causing him pain. Most dogs with this will have a lack of appetite, but then in a lab it takes a lot to put their appetite off.

I never recommend over the counter medications for pain relief in dogs. There are a few reasons why. One is that if there is something going on with his kidneys or liver or if there is bleeding then an over the counter medication like Aleve or aspirin could make these worse. The other is that these medications can stay in a dog's system for several days. So, if you end up going to the vet's and they want to give him some steroids or a prescription non-steroidal medication they may not be able to give him anything until the first drug is out of his system.

The Tramadol could be helpful if this is just a pain problem. However, I can't legally advise you on the specifics of administering medications over the internet.

Is there any way that you could have your vet see Miller today? If this is a back problem then they can prescribe medications that will really help. They can also do some neurological examination to make sure that this is not a serious back problem. Some dogs with back "strains" can go on to get a prolapsed disc which could cause paralysis. Although this is uncommon it does happen. Treating early and giving strict rest is very important when there is a potential back problem. If this is not a back problem then your vets can help you figure out what it is!

If you are not able to get to the vet right away the best advice I can give is to keep Miller as quiet as possible and make sure that he doesn't do any jumping or running.

I really hope he is ok!

Shifting lameness and weight loss. In March, Grayson suddenly started limping on his front left paw. We took him to... (8330 views)

Growth near bum of cat. Hello: I noticed my outside male cat had a growth coming out of his back end. After... (15798 views)

Throwing up and diarrhea. My dog has been throwing up and has had diarrhea for a couple of days. She is able... (31318 views)

Great Dane not eating. Dr. Marie, my dog molly just recently started not eating dog food or drinking and... (12001 views)

Swollen gums in dog. in end june of 2009 , gingivitus like symptoms appeared in my dog . the vet did... (20927 views)

Dog walking sideways. Hello Dr. Here is my question, So my little shitzu is about 2 1/2 yrs old and... (45996 views)

Tracheal collapse. I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will... (7475 views)

Spinal cord lymphoma Hello Dr. Marie, Our angel puppy Oreo passed away last night. We decided to move... (12939 views)

Limping on rear leg. Hello Dr. Marie! Buddy came to us about six months ago a stray. Though it was... (23154 views)

Bengal Cat health questions. please could you read this topic Dr. Marie and answer to help this person? thank you... (10655 views)