Sore black lab?

Breed: American Black Lab
Hi,
I have a 6 1/2 year old extremely active Black Lab named Miller. He loves to jump and catch balls and jump and catch Frisbees. On Tuesday, we think he might have strained something in his abdomen area - he isn't limping, yelping or whimpering when you examine him - his activity is just less than normal. Food and water consumption is fine...he is just slower to get up on the couch or fetching a ball. It seems to bother him for any kind of stretching. Can I give him Aleve or something else for inflammation? He has a prescription for Tramadol 25mcg but I wasn't sure if this would help in this case. Thanks so much!!!

I'm sorry to hear that Miller is not feeling well. Any time a lab doesn't want to be active, we know there is a problem!

It would be uncommon for a dog to strain something in the abdomen. However, what you have described could indicate a back problem. Often if dogs have a sore back they will be reluctant to jump and move slowly. A back problem can be hard to pick up unless you are trained in doing back exams, and even then, sometimes it can be hard to diagnose.

There are other possibilities, as his symptoms are kind of vague. Are his gums nice and pink? I've seen dogs with abdominal bleeding have symptoms like this. If this were the case then his gums would be very pale. If you think this is happening then he needs to see a vet right away.

It's also possible that he has some abdominal cramping causing him pain. Most dogs with this will have a lack of appetite, but then in a lab it takes a lot to put their appetite off.

I never recommend over the counter medications for pain relief in dogs. There are a few reasons why. One is that if there is something going on with his kidneys or liver or if there is bleeding then an over the counter medication like Aleve or aspirin could make these worse. The other is that these medications can stay in a dog's system for several days. So, if you end up going to the vet's and they want to give him some steroids or a prescription non-steroidal medication they may not be able to give him anything until the first drug is out of his system.

The Tramadol could be helpful if this is just a pain problem. However, I can't legally advise you on the specifics of administering medications over the internet.

Is there any way that you could have your vet see Miller today? If this is a back problem then they can prescribe medications that will really help. They can also do some neurological examination to make sure that this is not a serious back problem. Some dogs with back "strains" can go on to get a prolapsed disc which could cause paralysis. Although this is uncommon it does happen. Treating early and giving strict rest is very important when there is a potential back problem. If this is not a back problem then your vets can help you figure out what it is!

If you are not able to get to the vet right away the best advice I can give is to keep Miller as quiet as possible and make sure that he doesn't do any jumping or running.

I really hope he is ok!

Immodium overdose? I may have overdosed my chihuahua on immodium ad yesterday. I gave her a humans dose... (17308 views)

Dog with small pink lump. My dog has a smallish lump on her back which is sort of pinkish in colour but dosn't... (18530 views)

Feeding sardines. I have a male Maltese which I have owned for 4 years, he was a rescue dog so his... (13955 views)

Medication for aggressive dog? Hi! We adopted a 2.5 year old male white shepherd/lab, Denver, almost a year ago. At... (7278 views)

Can I feed raw veggies? Is it alright to feed our dog fresh, raw pieces of vegetables-like celery, green... (7956 views)

How long for Frontline to work An older cat has been living under my porch for a while. I am interested in bringing... (8967 views)

Seizures wouldn't stop. My dog suddenly had status epilepticus without having prior history of seizures. He... (28205 views)

calamine lotion on dogs Doeden has a itchy rash, raised pale bumps, on the back of his neck; I put on some... (90575 views)

Sneezing guinea pig. My guinea pig is sneezing and wiping her nose more frequntly than she did... (19195 views)

Guinea Pig Pregnancy info. Hi, i bought a guinea pig from a pet store about a month ago and now, i think shes... (13917 views)