Advil for arthritis?

Breed: Golden Retriever/Cho
Can you give advil or store brand anti-inflammatories for arthritis or do you have to get "canine" anti-inflammatories from a vet?

There are no over the counter anti-inflammatories that are really safe to use in dogs. The products that you get from a vet are much safer and much more effective.

Before we had good, safe anti-inflammatories we would sometimes prescribe aspirin for arthritis. But dogs can get a number of side effects on aspirin including:

• Vomiting

• Stomach ulcers

• Kidney damage

• Bleeding problems

While some dogs do fine on aspirin, some dogs can have serious side effects that can even be life threatening.

Advil is not recommended for dogs as it is very hard on their kidneys.

Some dogs can take tylenol but it doesn't tend to work very well. Tylenol can be hard on a dog's liver as well.

Dogs can have glucosamine for arthritis. You can buy this without a prescription. But, no one regulates how much glucosamine is actually in a bottle of glucosamine. This means that some of the less expensive types of glucosamine are really not very effective.

In my experience Glucosamine is not as effective as non-steroidal drugs like Metacam, Rimadyl, Deramaxx, or Previcox.

I always recommend a vet visit for dogs with suspected arthritis. Sometimes what we think is arthritis pain is actually something else!

Black spot on toe. Hello. I was cutting my puppies toe nail today and noticed a new black spot on her... (12319 views)

Pancreatitis and HGE. I had my Cooper put to sleep 3 weeks ago today. On the Monday before, he vomited... (42669 views)

Bump after fight. My dog got attacked by another dog 4 days ago during a walk. The other dog was on a... (101409 views)

Arthritis in a Newfie. My ten year old Newfie mix is eating less and seems very stiff and sometimes... (11467 views)

Panting at night on steroids. my 12 year old black lab is on steroids for an auto immune disease and the medicine... (8678 views)

Very thirsty dog. My 13 year old spayed female lab is continually drinking water, can't seem to get... (9782 views)

Time to put to sleep? I adopted my cat about 1.5yrs ago. When I adopted her I was told she was 3 yrs old;... (15561 views)

Natural allergy remedies. Options for a dog allergic to grass? Not interested in doing drugs for the rest of... (10853 views)

Red lesion on whippet's leg. Hi there. My whippet gets a little crazy sometimes running in the backyard. I... (8425 views)

Nursing cat has no milk. she has difficulty producing milk; one time losing milk early, the second she... (12361 views)