Advil for arthritis?

Breed: Golden Retriever/Cho
Can you give advil or store brand anti-inflammatories for arthritis or do you have to get "canine" anti-inflammatories from a vet?

There are no over the counter anti-inflammatories that are really safe to use in dogs. The products that you get from a vet are much safer and much more effective.

Before we had good, safe anti-inflammatories we would sometimes prescribe aspirin for arthritis. But dogs can get a number of side effects on aspirin including:

• Vomiting

• Stomach ulcers

• Kidney damage

• Bleeding problems

While some dogs do fine on aspirin, some dogs can have serious side effects that can even be life threatening.

Advil is not recommended for dogs as it is very hard on their kidneys.

Some dogs can take tylenol but it doesn't tend to work very well. Tylenol can be hard on a dog's liver as well.

Dogs can have glucosamine for arthritis. You can buy this without a prescription. But, no one regulates how much glucosamine is actually in a bottle of glucosamine. This means that some of the less expensive types of glucosamine are really not very effective.

In my experience Glucosamine is not as effective as non-steroidal drugs like Metacam, Rimadyl, Deramaxx, or Previcox.

I always recommend a vet visit for dogs with suspected arthritis. Sometimes what we think is arthritis pain is actually something else!

Died after grooming. Hi, my puppy recently died and was wondering if you could help me, she had a trip to... (8336 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Buster was throwing up for over two weeks. I had him to an emergency pet hospital,... (21929 views)

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (5165 views)

Dog has horrible breath. How can i stop my dogs horriable breath. like home things that i could do like... (10178 views)

Painful erection for dog. Help Dr Marie, My puppy is not neutered and three or four times I have found him... (16950 views)

Coughing and liver problems. Hi there! We are hoping that you can lend us some advice with our baby. Our... (12653 views)

Is spinach good for dogs? Is spinach toxic for... (148179 views)

Rabies from my dog? my 70 days old cocker spaniel bit my toe and there ws little bleeding and i cleaned... (4903 views)

Puppy has diarrhea. i just aquired a 7 month old german shepard/lab mix (already 60 lbs) a week ago and... (16238 views)

Do dogs sweat? Zoe, our chow mix, never pants. When our other dogs, after playtime, are laying... (7368 views)