Wobbly cavalier during pregnancy.

Breed: cavalier king charle
Hi, we have a female 3 year old cavalier king charles spaniel. she is 5 weeks pregnant and woke up this morning as if she was drunk. her back legs were crossing and giving way under her own weight. she is normally very active having no problems jumping on the sofa etc. we took her to see our vet who took a blood sample and basically said they didn't know what it was and told us to keep an eye on her and to take her back if there is no improvement. the blood tests taken were all ok. she is still well in herself but walks around the house as if she is drunk. could the puppies be sat on a nerve or could it be something more serious. any help or advice would be very much appreciated. thank you

I'm sorry to hear that Amber is having this problem.

Do you know if the vet did any neurological tests on Amber? The type of test I am interested in is if the vet tried to knuckle her back feet over to see if she automatically placed them back in the right place.

If she does knuckle her back legs then this could be a problem with her back.

A back problem would not be directly caused by being pregnant, but if she has gained some weight then this can be putting extra strain on her back. Many dogs with back problems will heal with rest and pain medication (if your vet feels it is safe for her to be on medication while she is pregnant.) However, if the wobbliness gets worse, or if she becomes unable to move her back legs then this can be a sign of a serious problem that might require surgery.

Another possibility is if she has gotten into a recreational drug such as marijuana. Is this possible?

Some dogs can have issues with low blood sugar or low calcium levels during their pregnancy (or sometimes during lactation). However, these tests would likely have been run in the blood tests your vet did.

One thing you may want to ask your vet about is something called syringomyelia. This is a rare condition in dogs but it is more common in Cavaliers. It usually causes neck pain but sometimes we can just see neurological problems affecting the spinal cord.

I hope things look up soon!

Ear margin dermatosis. Hello, I have a 5 year old over-weight beagle. He's had these small dry crusty... (76367 views)

Swelling on neck. I just noticed that when my dog barks the right side of her neck swells about 1-2... (5920 views)

Rimadyl and liver problems. Hi Dr. Marie Last night my dog sustained some type of injury to himself while... (10105 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. Dear Dr. Marie, I adopted a shelter dog from the southern US last September. He is... (11629 views)

Older cat with problems. Hi there. I really hope that you can answer my question. My cat Derek is obviously... (53902 views)

Cat with bloody diarrhea iam also a vet from pakistan.i want to ask that if a cat has bloody diarrhoea;wat i... (8069 views)

Fearful Sheltie. my dog is very nervous of new people and places. she is very nervous and can't focus... (10488 views)

Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky. Has anyone had a problem with Nature’s Deli chicken Jerky Dog Treats (from Denver,... (8129 views)

My dog is deaf. Almost total deaf within the last 3 months. 14 yr. old english pointer. Female. In... (7882 views)

Cat limping and vomiting. Today I noticed that my cat was limping a bit. Later on in the day I noticed that... (20415 views)