Wobbly cavalier during pregnancy.

Breed: cavalier king charle
Hi, we have a female 3 year old cavalier king charles spaniel. she is 5 weeks pregnant and woke up this morning as if she was drunk. her back legs were crossing and giving way under her own weight. she is normally very active having no problems jumping on the sofa etc. we took her to see our vet who took a blood sample and basically said they didn't know what it was and told us to keep an eye on her and to take her back if there is no improvement. the blood tests taken were all ok. she is still well in herself but walks around the house as if she is drunk. could the puppies be sat on a nerve or could it be something more serious. any help or advice would be very much appreciated. thank you

I'm sorry to hear that Amber is having this problem.

Do you know if the vet did any neurological tests on Amber? The type of test I am interested in is if the vet tried to knuckle her back feet over to see if she automatically placed them back in the right place.

If she does knuckle her back legs then this could be a problem with her back.

A back problem would not be directly caused by being pregnant, but if she has gained some weight then this can be putting extra strain on her back. Many dogs with back problems will heal with rest and pain medication (if your vet feels it is safe for her to be on medication while she is pregnant.) However, if the wobbliness gets worse, or if she becomes unable to move her back legs then this can be a sign of a serious problem that might require surgery.

Another possibility is if she has gotten into a recreational drug such as marijuana. Is this possible?

Some dogs can have issues with low blood sugar or low calcium levels during their pregnancy (or sometimes during lactation). However, these tests would likely have been run in the blood tests your vet did.

One thing you may want to ask your vet about is something called syringomyelia. This is a rare condition in dogs but it is more common in Cavaliers. It usually causes neck pain but sometimes we can just see neurological problems affecting the spinal cord.

I hope things look up soon!

Rubs his nose in vomit. A couple of times in the last few weeks, Atka has gotten sick to his stomach and... (9816 views)

Guinea Pig heat cycle. my female guinea pig has a swollen vulva which is very red. this happens once every... (31297 views)

Should I breed my dog? I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies... (4510 views)

Dog pooping blood. My dog is pooping blood, but not pooping. Just blood coming out like she is... (14080 views)

Vomiting after eating. my pet vomits after eating since 20 days with brownish in color,faeces is loose with... (8329 views)

Frontline and Revolution safe for pregnant dogs. Dr. Marie my poor yorkie is pregnet and she got flees from my sisters new dog what... (46649 views)

Hole on puppy's head. My german shepherd gave birth to 9 puppies on June 19, however 1 pup came out with a... (14770 views)

Older cat with problems. Hi there. I really hope that you can answer my question. My cat Derek is obviously... (51775 views)

My cat died. My cat was found dead by a neighbour on a grass verge about 10ft from the road on... (10563 views)

Cut cat's skin while grooming. Help Dr. Marie! While cutting away a clump of matted hair from behind my kitty's... (28890 views)