Wobbly cavalier during pregnancy.

Breed: cavalier king charle
Hi, we have a female 3 year old cavalier king charles spaniel. she is 5 weeks pregnant and woke up this morning as if she was drunk. her back legs were crossing and giving way under her own weight. she is normally very active having no problems jumping on the sofa etc. we took her to see our vet who took a blood sample and basically said they didn't know what it was and told us to keep an eye on her and to take her back if there is no improvement. the blood tests taken were all ok. she is still well in herself but walks around the house as if she is drunk. could the puppies be sat on a nerve or could it be something more serious. any help or advice would be very much appreciated. thank you

I'm sorry to hear that Amber is having this problem.

Do you know if the vet did any neurological tests on Amber? The type of test I am interested in is if the vet tried to knuckle her back feet over to see if she automatically placed them back in the right place.

If she does knuckle her back legs then this could be a problem with her back.

A back problem would not be directly caused by being pregnant, but if she has gained some weight then this can be putting extra strain on her back. Many dogs with back problems will heal with rest and pain medication (if your vet feels it is safe for her to be on medication while she is pregnant.) However, if the wobbliness gets worse, or if she becomes unable to move her back legs then this can be a sign of a serious problem that might require surgery.

Another possibility is if she has gotten into a recreational drug such as marijuana. Is this possible?

Some dogs can have issues with low blood sugar or low calcium levels during their pregnancy (or sometimes during lactation). However, these tests would likely have been run in the blood tests your vet did.

One thing you may want to ask your vet about is something called syringomyelia. This is a rare condition in dogs but it is more common in Cavaliers. It usually causes neck pain but sometimes we can just see neurological problems affecting the spinal cord.

I hope things look up soon!

Dog not urinating after neuter. Hi dr just wondering if you could help me. My 1year old American Akita diesel had... (43562 views)

Addison's disease. I had almost the same experience as the person who wrote you about losing their dog... (17900 views)

Why is my hamster biting me? My hamster bites me only when I take him out of his ball or exercise wheel. Even on... (11983 views)

Trifexis overdose. My approx 4-5lb teacup Pomeranian ate HALF of the Trifexis meant for a 60-120lb dog... (4851 views)

Dog spay incision lump. My dog has a lump under her spay incision. I adopted Tiaa from a rescue group a... (89559 views)

Can't use back legs. In the past 7 months my dog has had 2 "episodes". First, in September 2010 he had... (33466 views)

Rogain toxic to dogs? Hello. Thank you for taking the time to read and answer my question. I have... (22672 views)

Palliative care vs. euthanasia? Hello. First let me say that this turned out to be long and probably rambling. ... (11172 views)

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (18661 views)

Dog with wound. My pup is 7 months old and two days ago she dug out of her kennel and I didn't see... (17833 views)