Wobbly cavalier during pregnancy.

Breed: cavalier king charle
Hi, we have a female 3 year old cavalier king charles spaniel. she is 5 weeks pregnant and woke up this morning as if she was drunk. her back legs were crossing and giving way under her own weight. she is normally very active having no problems jumping on the sofa etc. we took her to see our vet who took a blood sample and basically said they didn't know what it was and told us to keep an eye on her and to take her back if there is no improvement. the blood tests taken were all ok. she is still well in herself but walks around the house as if she is drunk. could the puppies be sat on a nerve or could it be something more serious. any help or advice would be very much appreciated. thank you

I'm sorry to hear that Amber is having this problem.

Do you know if the vet did any neurological tests on Amber? The type of test I am interested in is if the vet tried to knuckle her back feet over to see if she automatically placed them back in the right place.

If she does knuckle her back legs then this could be a problem with her back.

A back problem would not be directly caused by being pregnant, but if she has gained some weight then this can be putting extra strain on her back. Many dogs with back problems will heal with rest and pain medication (if your vet feels it is safe for her to be on medication while she is pregnant.) However, if the wobbliness gets worse, or if she becomes unable to move her back legs then this can be a sign of a serious problem that might require surgery.

Another possibility is if she has gotten into a recreational drug such as marijuana. Is this possible?

Some dogs can have issues with low blood sugar or low calcium levels during their pregnancy (or sometimes during lactation). However, these tests would likely have been run in the blood tests your vet did.

One thing you may want to ask your vet about is something called syringomyelia. This is a rare condition in dogs but it is more common in Cavaliers. It usually causes neck pain but sometimes we can just see neurological problems affecting the spinal cord.

I hope things look up soon!

Pregnant dog with a fever? My bitch is pregnant - 63 days from first breeding today. Reproduction specialist... (40168 views)

Hydrocode side effect? My dog is a 16-1/2 year old Wheaten who has had two seizures at a groomers. I took... (8138 views)

Puppy doesn't want to eat. It has been over a week since my Sheltie has lost her appetite. She hardly touches... (10357 views)

Tresaderm causing seizure? Hi, I have a special-needs 6 year old cat that was born with a neurological... (7079 views)

Is Tropiclean safe? Dear Dr. Marie: Hello! I am writing to ask about giving a water additive to my... (19925 views)

Cat with painful lump. my outside cat just recently got a big lump on the right side of his stomach and he... (16993 views)

Bloddy vaginal discharge in a cat. My cat is bleeding from her vagina, she is not spayed and we don't believe she is... (8405 views)

Won't nurse puppies One week ago our Yorkie Maya had a litter of puppies. She gave birth to seven... (50615 views)

Seizure and diarrhea. Hi. My dog had a seizure this morning. her legs started shaking but she still had... (30832 views)

Vomiting after eating. My cat will vomit after eating several times a week. She will also 'leak' or 'drip'... (25407 views)