Should we put down out cat?

Breed: Short haired Tabby
Good evening.

My 15 year old tabby seems to be in rough shape. He is still eating and drinking water but has stopped grooming himself. For a week or so he has been throwing up and has had watery diarrhea messes on the floor. I recently lost my job so I am not able to take him to his vet. The family has started fighting over whether or not he should be put down. I on the other hand don't want to do that.

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated

It sounds like Chance desperately needs to see a vet. There are a number of things that can cause the symptoms that you have mentioned and some of them can be treated.

It's possible he has hyperthyroidism or kidney disease. Or it could be a more serious issue like a cancer.

From what you have written, I think you have two options:

1. To see the vet and get some tests done to determine if this is a fixable problem.
2. If that is not an option, then yes, it does sound like it is time for euthanasia. It's not fair to leave him in the state that he is in.

I'm very sorry for the bad news.

Mesenchymal tumor Need some input. My dog (she's 6)had developed a small lump/bump on her head above... (9889 views)

Mast Cell tumor? This past Saturday afternoon I was petting my dog and I noticed a small bump under... (25557 views)

Cat howling at night. Our 25 yo orange tiger stripe male developed kidney failure and we had to make the... (9928 views)

Sudden bulldog death. Hello Dr. Marie, I own a boarding kennel and have for fifteen years. We pride... (31953 views)

Coughing shih tzu. Louie has always gagged after drinking water, often clear watery mucous comes up. ... (27901 views)

Dog ate moldy food. I know its likely my question won't get answered, and this is a question that can't... (28647 views)

Tapeworm pictures in a dog. I just discovered my dog has worms in her poop. She sleeps on our bed and where she... (44677 views)

Cat can't meow. This morning my 9-yr old female indoor cat, Ally, can't meow (she's always very... (137580 views)

Shaking and tucking tail. 3 days ago my dog, who was being taken on a walk in the morning, suddenly started... (196397 views)

High lipase and triglycerides. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's Vacuolar Hepatopathy... (8474 views)