Should we put down out cat?

Breed: Short haired Tabby
Good evening.

My 15 year old tabby seems to be in rough shape. He is still eating and drinking water but has stopped grooming himself. For a week or so he has been throwing up and has had watery diarrhea messes on the floor. I recently lost my job so I am not able to take him to his vet. The family has started fighting over whether or not he should be put down. I on the other hand don't want to do that.

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated

It sounds like Chance desperately needs to see a vet. There are a number of things that can cause the symptoms that you have mentioned and some of them can be treated.

It's possible he has hyperthyroidism or kidney disease. Or it could be a more serious issue like a cancer.

From what you have written, I think you have two options:

1. To see the vet and get some tests done to determine if this is a fixable problem.
2. If that is not an option, then yes, it does sound like it is time for euthanasia. It's not fair to leave him in the state that he is in.

I'm very sorry for the bad news.

Swollen hip in Golden. We inherited him from my father-in-law 2 years ago, he was very much over weight so... (5745 views)

Dog suddenly needy. Austin is 7. He is a shelter dog. I've had him since he was 2-ish. He was diagnosed... (36684 views)

Red lump between dog's toes. Hello I noticed that Sam has a big red swellen bump between second and third... (92690 views)

My dog twisted her back. Dear Dr. Marie, Hope you are well. I was contacting you in hopes that you could... (37493 views)

Chihuahua had a seizure. Hi , my daughter's dog is very tiny weighing just 3.8 lbs. Last night he was on my... (26223 views)

Accidents outside of box. Mt cat is litter box trained and has been since she was around 3 months old. We... (6644 views)

Swollen hip. I am so worried about my dog Holly. I think she may have hip dysplasia. Her hip is... (11173 views)

Not eating and tired cat. My kitty is a very playful cat. Runs, jumps and cuddles all day long. He is looking... (52258 views)

Give thyroid medicine? Hi there, I live in a remote northern community and we do not have a vet here. My... (8201 views)

Limping dog. Hello, My dog is a GS mix - she is just over 1 yr old and weighs approx. 70 lbs. ... (21135 views)