Bruising on neck.

Breed: Mini Dachshund
My mini dachshund went in for a dental cleaning, which the vet said went as normal. Afterwards, we noticed some pretty bad bruising on his neck. When we asked about it, they said that that can happen during a dental cleaning just as a result of how the procedure is performed. This is actually the second time it's happened, and usually the bruising disappears within three or four days. My question to you is: is it normal that when a small breed dog gets his dental cleaning for his neck to be badly bruised afterwords? Is there some thing that they do during the cleaning that would result in that? Thank you very much for your time, I appreciate it.

I wouldn't say that this is "normal" after a dentistry.

Did she have any blood taken, perhaps for preanesthetic blood work? If so, it is quite common for there to be some bruising on the front of the neck where the blood was taken.

If your dog continues to have issues with bruising it may be worthwhile to have your vet do a coagulation profile just to make sure he doesn't have any sort of bleeding disorder.

Kitten not pooping. Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4... (11033 views)

Wound on dog's ear. Hello, my puppy has a tiny hole underneath his ear flap. It's red and I worry its... (15618 views)

Can dogs drink tea? Can dogs drink tea? I have been told by quite a few people that it helps puppies to... (55689 views)

Time to put dog to sleep? My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost... (7392 views)

Needs anals done often. Heidi is having trouble with anal glands. She is on a home cooked diet, mostly... (10009 views)

Peeing on blankets. We adopted Ginger a year ago and it took some time to get her house trained. She now... (17371 views)

64 days pregnant. hello, I have a 1 1/2 year old Pomeranian half jack russel. I just found out she is... (16991 views)

Cat with a cold. My cat has a cold, and i was wondering if there is anything i can do at home for her... (18031 views)

Puppy and adult dog vomiting. Our 8 yr old lab became ill about 2 weeks ago with occassional vomiting, diarrhea,... (5131 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hey Dr. Marie (and Happy Holidays!) I noticed about a week ago while petting my... (38901 views)