Bruising on neck.

Breed: Mini Dachshund
My mini dachshund went in for a dental cleaning, which the vet said went as normal. Afterwards, we noticed some pretty bad bruising on his neck. When we asked about it, they said that that can happen during a dental cleaning just as a result of how the procedure is performed. This is actually the second time it's happened, and usually the bruising disappears within three or four days. My question to you is: is it normal that when a small breed dog gets his dental cleaning for his neck to be badly bruised afterwords? Is there some thing that they do during the cleaning that would result in that? Thank you very much for your time, I appreciate it.

I wouldn't say that this is "normal" after a dentistry.

Did she have any blood taken, perhaps for preanesthetic blood work? If so, it is quite common for there to be some bruising on the front of the neck where the blood was taken.

If your dog continues to have issues with bruising it may be worthwhile to have your vet do a coagulation profile just to make sure he doesn't have any sort of bleeding disorder.

Can rabbits carry rabies? I am wondering what the chances of a baby wild rabbit having rabies is. The baby is... (15971 views)

Two gerbils fighting. i have a gerbil that i got and i put it with my other gerbil and they were fiting... (7725 views)

Cat suddenly bites or scratches. Hi there....i have a beautiful BIG moggy who is a 'lovecat' - very affectionate -... (14994 views)

Puppy knuckling on back legs. Hi I have a pug who is 5 months old, he was fine until about 2 week ago. He started... (7593 views)

Did air freshener kill my dog? hi. my dog, simon, a jack russell/poodle, died of kidney failure which was caused... (10956 views)

Ferret with hair loss and wobbliness. My ferett has lost all hair on back and i came home today and he is extremly wobbly... (18138 views)

Dog can't move hind legs. What happens if your dog can't move her hind legs without them sliding out from... (14104 views)

Sick Golden Dr., I try to keep this short: My kids golden, 7+ years old, got lyme like 3... (6467 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Hi, I'm desperate to find out how to help my dog. 9 days ago (Monday night) she woke... (26001 views)

Hyperthyroid older cat. Dear Dr. Marie: My cat is 25 years old and has been relatively healthy in the 10... (7702 views)