Bruising on neck.

Breed: Mini Dachshund
My mini dachshund went in for a dental cleaning, which the vet said went as normal. Afterwards, we noticed some pretty bad bruising on his neck. When we asked about it, they said that that can happen during a dental cleaning just as a result of how the procedure is performed. This is actually the second time it's happened, and usually the bruising disappears within three or four days. My question to you is: is it normal that when a small breed dog gets his dental cleaning for his neck to be badly bruised afterwords? Is there some thing that they do during the cleaning that would result in that? Thank you very much for your time, I appreciate it.

I wouldn't say that this is "normal" after a dentistry.

Did she have any blood taken, perhaps for preanesthetic blood work? If so, it is quite common for there to be some bruising on the front of the neck where the blood was taken.

If your dog continues to have issues with bruising it may be worthwhile to have your vet do a coagulation profile just to make sure he doesn't have any sort of bleeding disorder.

Fishy smell from dog. My boston terrier puts off a fishy smell. It doesn't happen all the time, but... (31413 views)

Worn footpads. Hi, Dr. Marie: I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed... (5977 views)

My dog is deaf. Almost total deaf within the last 3 months. 14 yr. old english pointer. Female. In... (6651 views)

Defecating out of her vagina. We found Clara abandoned next to our house a few days ago. Yesterday we found out... (8358 views)

Vomiting undigested food. My cat primarily eats dry food. She frequently vomits undigested food.What can I do... (12411 views)

Blood at end of urine stream. My female dog has had blood in her urine for 2 months. I live in Belize, Central... (16546 views)

Yellow skin and urine. My cat has been lethargic for about two weeks. Last week I noticed her Urine was... (11914 views)

Dog died after surgery. On Saturday evening my daughters 6 month old dog swallowed a needle which got her... (13038 views)

Puppy stepped on. my 7 wk old pure staffie has just been accidently stood on by one foot of my 14-15... (39823 views)

Puppy leaking urine. My puppy seems to be going pee while he sleeps .. He's 7 weeks old. Is this normal?... (9246 views)