Bruising on neck.

Breed: Mini Dachshund
My mini dachshund went in for a dental cleaning, which the vet said went as normal. Afterwards, we noticed some pretty bad bruising on his neck. When we asked about it, they said that that can happen during a dental cleaning just as a result of how the procedure is performed. This is actually the second time it's happened, and usually the bruising disappears within three or four days. My question to you is: is it normal that when a small breed dog gets his dental cleaning for his neck to be badly bruised afterwords? Is there some thing that they do during the cleaning that would result in that? Thank you very much for your time, I appreciate it.

I wouldn't say that this is "normal" after a dentistry.

Did she have any blood taken, perhaps for preanesthetic blood work? If so, it is quite common for there to be some bruising on the front of the neck where the blood was taken.

If your dog continues to have issues with bruising it may be worthwhile to have your vet do a coagulation profile just to make sure he doesn't have any sort of bleeding disorder.

Rabies from my dog? my 70 days old cocker spaniel bit my toe and there ws little bleeding and i cleaned... (6231 views)

Dog ate moldy food. I know its likely my question won't get answered, and this is a question that can't... (28637 views)

Swollen vulva. "I have a female Rat Terrier who is 6 months old and I was wondering if its normal... (34784 views)

Chin acne. Hi there, My cat came down with a case of feline acne, probably caused by stress,... (10988 views)

Do dogs have panic attacks? In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and... (8272 views)

Brown bugs over top of tail. Dear Dr. Marie: I HAVE A CAT, IT HAS BROWN BUG AND SCAB AT THE DORSAL ASPECT OF... (11716 views)

Homemade chicken jerky treats for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, If you do choose to answer my questions, I thank you so much in... (6228 views)

3 week old kitten with diarrhea. i have a kitten that is 3 weeks old and she has diarrhea and also i wanted to know... (14726 views)

Fishy smell from dog. My boston terrier puts off a fishy smell. It doesn't happen all the time, but... (33516 views)

Leaking anal glands. My dog has anal leakage. I had her glands expressed but she is still leaking. I... (46484 views)