Bald patches on body.

Breed: labrador retriever
I live in Spain. Last Spring my dog had hard white lumps of skin down the sides of her body which came off and the fur came away with it. It left new skin with no fur. These patches were not sore and she did not scratch so were not itchy. Now its December and it has come back again.

The vet tested skin and there was no infestation and blood test was normal.

Do you have any suggestions for treatment and do you know what this is.

This is a tough question to answer without being able to see Freya.

It is interesting that she was not itchy. I'm wondering if what you are seeing is something called a seasonal flank alopecia.

Here are some pictures of dogs with seasonal flank alopecia:

flank alopecia

seasonal flank alopecia

cyclical flank alopecia

This is really common in boxers but can happen in other breeds as well. I have seen it in Bulldogs, Labs and Golden Retrievers.

If this is flank alopecia we really don't know what causes it. Some people will treat it with melatonin but usually it goes away on its own within a few weeks.

The way to diagnose this would be to have your vet take a skin biopsy.

I hope this helps!

Black stuff in cat's ears. Hi Dr. Marie. My cat Thelma (who happens to be male and nearly 15) has had an issue... (36839 views)

My dog is deaf. Almost total deaf within the last 3 months. 14 yr. old english pointer. Female. In... (6946 views)

Will neutering stop a dog peeing on things? hi i my dog pisses on everything well getting him fixes stop that thanks... (10466 views)

Chlamydia contagious? Can dogs get chlamydia? I encountered information regarding oral chlamydia&don't... (10576 views)

Did Orbax cause diarrhea? Hi Dr Marie, it's me again regarding Bandit, my 4 yr old DSH. I had e-mailed you... (10089 views)

Tracheal collapse. I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will... (6557 views)

Food allergy? My pug will be eight in a few months. A few months ago, he started scratching alot.... (7667 views)

Cat has flaky skin. My Maine Coon, Nino has had flaky skin for quite awhile. I had him at the vet a few... (9441 views)

vet question Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on... (9227 views)

Hartz Ultra Guard for fleas? hello dr. marie, bear has fleas. i gave her a bath then treated her with hartz... (10490 views)