Bald patches on body.

Breed: labrador retriever
I live in Spain. Last Spring my dog had hard white lumps of skin down the sides of her body which came off and the fur came away with it. It left new skin with no fur. These patches were not sore and she did not scratch so were not itchy. Now its December and it has come back again.

The vet tested skin and there was no infestation and blood test was normal.

Do you have any suggestions for treatment and do you know what this is.

This is a tough question to answer without being able to see Freya.

It is interesting that she was not itchy. I'm wondering if what you are seeing is something called a seasonal flank alopecia.

Here are some pictures of dogs with seasonal flank alopecia:

flank alopecia

seasonal flank alopecia

cyclical flank alopecia

This is really common in boxers but can happen in other breeds as well. I have seen it in Bulldogs, Labs and Golden Retrievers.

If this is flank alopecia we really don't know what causes it. Some people will treat it with melatonin but usually it goes away on its own within a few weeks.

The way to diagnose this would be to have your vet take a skin biopsy.

I hope this helps!

Lab not eating. My 13 yr old Lab, Dylan, who has NEVER turned her nose up at any kind of food, has... (23471 views)

Painful dog. I have a small dog, under 20 pounds, that I rescued off the street in Mexico. I'm... (8523 views)

Freckles on a dog's belly. Francois has developed some brown spots on his belly and testicles. He licks in... (22316 views)

Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas? Hi, I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was... (22187 views)

Puppy not gaining weight. my puppy is one month old and is not gaining any weight and is not active not eating... (9626 views)

Dog not eating i have a boxer labrador mix .his name is angus.because summer has started and the... (24048 views)

Coughing and panting. My dog is 12 1/2 and he has a hacking cough and pants all the time except when he's... (31222 views)

Dog won't gain weight. Our boy, Zidane, was born May 19, 2009, which makes Zidane almost 18 months old. He... (13512 views)

Does vinegar kill fleas? I have two cats, and my tenant has one as well. We are aware that they have fleas... (8266 views)

Start thryoid medicine? Biscuit has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (T4 > 7). He has lost 1 pound... (8535 views)