Bald patches on body.

Breed: labrador retriever
I live in Spain. Last Spring my dog had hard white lumps of skin down the sides of her body which came off and the fur came away with it. It left new skin with no fur. These patches were not sore and she did not scratch so were not itchy. Now its December and it has come back again.

The vet tested skin and there was no infestation and blood test was normal.

Do you have any suggestions for treatment and do you know what this is.

This is a tough question to answer without being able to see Freya.

It is interesting that she was not itchy. I'm wondering if what you are seeing is something called a seasonal flank alopecia.

Here are some pictures of dogs with seasonal flank alopecia:

flank alopecia

seasonal flank alopecia

cyclical flank alopecia

This is really common in boxers but can happen in other breeds as well. I have seen it in Bulldogs, Labs and Golden Retrievers.

If this is flank alopecia we really don't know what causes it. Some people will treat it with melatonin but usually it goes away on its own within a few weeks.

The way to diagnose this would be to have your vet take a skin biopsy.

I hope this helps!

Dry nose in a dog. is it normal that my 10 year old dog haves a very dry nose everytime?... (9122 views)

Did air freshener kill my dog? hi. my dog, simon, a jack russell/poodle, died of kidney failure which was caused... (12720 views)

Test for Cushings? My dog is breathing rapidly, about 60 times per minute, night and day, but otherwise... (7191 views)

Allergy treatment. I know Memphis has allergies. Within the last month he has started itching his eyes.... (9361 views)

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (7904 views)

OK to keep cats in a small room? I am concerned for two cats that I know. They live in a house where they are... (6302 views)

Artificial sweetener ingestion. This morning I ate an atkins bar for breakfast. I left the wrapper on the couch and... (40827 views)

Can dogs get tetanus? My dog got her paw caught in an animal trap this evening. She is walking around... (29918 views)

Rat lost his brother. My rat has lost his brother will he be ok i am not getting another... (12903 views)

Lumps all over body. Hello, I have a 6 year old italian grey hound. Before he was very very active and... (34763 views)