Bald patches on body.

Breed: labrador retriever
I live in Spain. Last Spring my dog had hard white lumps of skin down the sides of her body which came off and the fur came away with it. It left new skin with no fur. These patches were not sore and she did not scratch so were not itchy. Now its December and it has come back again.

The vet tested skin and there was no infestation and blood test was normal.

Do you have any suggestions for treatment and do you know what this is.

This is a tough question to answer without being able to see Freya.

It is interesting that she was not itchy. I'm wondering if what you are seeing is something called a seasonal flank alopecia.

Here are some pictures of dogs with seasonal flank alopecia:

flank alopecia

seasonal flank alopecia

cyclical flank alopecia

This is really common in boxers but can happen in other breeds as well. I have seen it in Bulldogs, Labs and Golden Retrievers.

If this is flank alopecia we really don't know what causes it. Some people will treat it with melatonin but usually it goes away on its own within a few weeks.

The way to diagnose this would be to have your vet take a skin biopsy.

I hope this helps!

Dog with bloody stool. Hi, I mistakenly changed my dog's food without mixing which I now know is a big... (12197 views)

Sick hamster or hibernating. Please help ! My hamster is not moving now but it is breathing.. I am not sure about... (16801 views)

When to neuter my dog. Hi, I have an 8 month old 63 lb male intact golden retriver. When should I neuter... (7955 views)

Dark sticky diarrhea. My 14yr old poodle has diarrhea and an upset stomach (he keeps eating grass in the... (13651 views)

Grief after dog passed away. I recently lost my 13 year old German Shepherd mix. She is my first dog. My... (7026 views)

Peeing in house on lasix. My dog has collapsed trachea and also an enlarged heart that was pressing on his... (14028 views)

Canine herpes on vulva. Hi there, One of my girls was bred on April 2, natural tie observed. This is her... (22456 views)

Kidney problem or diabetes? Hi Dr Marie, Hicks is 17 years old now. Still moderately active. 2 years ago, she... (5084 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog is a mutt, 14yrs old, and has been acting strangely as of late. She doesn't... (10445 views)

Lepto from mice? I live in New York City, in an apartment. Two days ago, I left Honey's food out on... (14114 views)