Bald patches on body.

Breed: labrador retriever
I live in Spain. Last Spring my dog had hard white lumps of skin down the sides of her body which came off and the fur came away with it. It left new skin with no fur. These patches were not sore and she did not scratch so were not itchy. Now its December and it has come back again.

The vet tested skin and there was no infestation and blood test was normal.

Do you have any suggestions for treatment and do you know what this is.

This is a tough question to answer without being able to see Freya.

It is interesting that she was not itchy. I'm wondering if what you are seeing is something called a seasonal flank alopecia.

Here are some pictures of dogs with seasonal flank alopecia:

flank alopecia

seasonal flank alopecia

cyclical flank alopecia

This is really common in boxers but can happen in other breeds as well. I have seen it in Bulldogs, Labs and Golden Retrievers.

If this is flank alopecia we really don't know what causes it. Some people will treat it with melatonin but usually it goes away on its own within a few weeks.

The way to diagnose this would be to have your vet take a skin biopsy.

I hope this helps!

Cat with pseudomonas infection. Sorry to bother you again. I wrote to you abt Shakey who has Pseudomas bacteria... (9523 views)

Should I help a sick vole? I know you only answer questions about dogs, cats, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs,... (9772 views)

Vaginal bleeding. Hi, my little desexed jack russell is bleeding slightly from her vagina when she... (96059 views)

Sick pregnant cat. hi, i think my cat is pregnant, shes suddenly put on alot of weight and has spotted... (9048 views)

Lump with hole and something moving in it. Hi, i just got a new kitten 3 days ago, this morning i woke up and picked her up and... (13287 views)

Dog died after injections. Our 12 yo 12 lb healthy mini dachsund fell off our bed in the middle of the night.... (5938 views)

Wobbly after seizure. hello, I have a 4 year old husky mix who is epelectic. Hes on phenobarbital and... (39886 views)

Cat attacking his tail. my cat started attacking his tail sometimes making it bleed..we took him to the vet... (9048 views)

Cat is hungry and has swollen tummy. Our cat seems to be hungry all the time, she is spayed, but we have just moved... (26862 views)

Dog has heart failure. Hello, I am considering adopting a special needs dog. He is 3 and has a grade 3... (7372 views)