Is Frontline working for fleas?

Breed: Pug
I live in Iowa and rescued a black Pug from a family in July. The previous owner said it didn't have fleas, it did. I inititally used BioSpot. Didn't do A THING. So I switched to FrontLine Plus when the vet gave me the a-okay. I bathed him before and having been using FrontLine Plus ever since. At first, I put down powder and sprayed some stuff. I periodically spray the flea home stuff around in the carpet/on beds, etc. I check for flea dirt using a flea comb or the furminator almost daily. But I still feel like I have fleas. It's January in Iowa and by now we've had our first frost. I haven't found any flea dirt on him or on this bedding (which I was weekly). However, this morning I found a little brown/black speck where he was laying, put it on toilet paper, rubbed it and it turned red/orange but it was the only speck I found. Am I overreacting? FYI I do have OCD and take medicine for it. I simply want a professional answer on the fleas. Thank you!

It sounds like you are doing the right things. One thing to know about fleas is that you will not be able to cure the problem instantly. When a dog has fleas, there will be flea eggs in your house. While vacuuming will help, it's not going to completely get rid of the fleas.

As the flea eggs hatch, they are amazing at seeking out a cat or dog to jump on. They can only reproduce if they get a blood meal from a cat or a dog. So, you need to keep treating monthly. Sometimes we can get rid of a problem in 3 months, but sometimes it can take 6. You need to be sure that every animal in the house is treated with a prescription product each month.

There are some parts of the world where Frontline is not working as well as it used to. I can't speak from experience because I practice in Canada where we do not have Frontline. But, you could ask your vet's opinion on the efficacy of Frontline in your area. If it is not working well, then you could switch to a product such as Comfortis, Revolution, Trifexis or Advantage.

For more information on fleas, you can check out this article that I wrote:
Help with flea problems.

Black stuff in cat's ears. Hi Dr. Marie. My cat Thelma (who happens to be male and nearly 15) has had an issue... (34899 views)

Dog ate grapes. Last night at 9PM I took my dog out for a walk. We were in our town and someone had... (38201 views)

Brown spot on lip of dog. Greetings, I have noticed that my cat has problem with her mouth. On the lower... (10175 views)

Cat with asthma. My Abby was diagnosed with a respiratory problem similar to asthma and was... (7216 views)

Cat puts her paw on my face. Why does my cat Bruski always put her paw on my face when shes sleeping shell keep... (23011 views)

Possible autoimmune disease. Hi, My dog is currently under vetrinarian care but he has a problem that my... (8352 views)

Bleeding from mouth. Hi Dr. Marie, What would cause recurrent tongue and gum ulcers in cats? Chuger is... (28856 views)

Head tremors and clingy dog. For the first time in 12 years my dog has started following me around obsessively... (7835 views)

Red spot near vulva. My six-year-old spayed, lab mix has a small red area near her vulva. She bites and... (21269 views)

Hairless cat skin problem. I recently took my hairless cats collar off and there was a small red sore were the... (9375 views)