Is Frontline working for fleas?

Breed: Pug
I live in Iowa and rescued a black Pug from a family in July. The previous owner said it didn't have fleas, it did. I inititally used BioSpot. Didn't do A THING. So I switched to FrontLine Plus when the vet gave me the a-okay. I bathed him before and having been using FrontLine Plus ever since. At first, I put down powder and sprayed some stuff. I periodically spray the flea home stuff around in the carpet/on beds, etc. I check for flea dirt using a flea comb or the furminator almost daily. But I still feel like I have fleas. It's January in Iowa and by now we've had our first frost. I haven't found any flea dirt on him or on this bedding (which I was weekly). However, this morning I found a little brown/black speck where he was laying, put it on toilet paper, rubbed it and it turned red/orange but it was the only speck I found. Am I overreacting? FYI I do have OCD and take medicine for it. I simply want a professional answer on the fleas. Thank you!

It sounds like you are doing the right things. One thing to know about fleas is that you will not be able to cure the problem instantly. When a dog has fleas, there will be flea eggs in your house. While vacuuming will help, it's not going to completely get rid of the fleas.

As the flea eggs hatch, they are amazing at seeking out a cat or dog to jump on. They can only reproduce if they get a blood meal from a cat or a dog. So, you need to keep treating monthly. Sometimes we can get rid of a problem in 3 months, but sometimes it can take 6. You need to be sure that every animal in the house is treated with a prescription product each month.

There are some parts of the world where Frontline is not working as well as it used to. I can't speak from experience because I practice in Canada where we do not have Frontline. But, you could ask your vet's opinion on the efficacy of Frontline in your area. If it is not working well, then you could switch to a product such as Comfortis, Revolution, Trifexis or Advantage.

For more information on fleas, you can check out this article that I wrote:
Help with flea problems.

Border collie leg problems? Hi Doctor, from Surrey in The UK, We have a gorgeous Border Collie pup. We think... (12516 views)

Tough upper respiratory infection. We picked up Indigo from a breeder on June 13th. He sneezed occasionally throughout... (26724 views)

Spay a nursing cat? Our kitty gave birth to three kittens 10 days ago and is already in heat. Is it... (8640 views)

Blood blisters on a cat My cat has developed what appear to be blood blisters, one just below her nose and... (15303 views)

Sore leg in 16 year old cat. Hello We have a cat that is about 16 years old. The last couple of days she has... (4749 views)

Hartz and Advantage. I gave my cat Hartz one spot flea treatment and it doesnt work grrrr, i gave it on... (9182 views)

Cat died. Dear Doctor Haynes, I started looking after a stray young tomcat (who I presume... (6001 views)

Tramadol not working. He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on... (14348 views)

Dog died suddenly even after glucose. my dog died suddenly...... it vomited three time .........then she was not able to... (10030 views)

Puppy has diarrhea. i just aquired a 7 month old german shepard/lab mix (already 60 lbs) a week ago and... (15674 views)