Is Frontline working for fleas?

Breed: Pug
I live in Iowa and rescued a black Pug from a family in July. The previous owner said it didn't have fleas, it did. I inititally used BioSpot. Didn't do A THING. So I switched to FrontLine Plus when the vet gave me the a-okay. I bathed him before and having been using FrontLine Plus ever since. At first, I put down powder and sprayed some stuff. I periodically spray the flea home stuff around in the carpet/on beds, etc. I check for flea dirt using a flea comb or the furminator almost daily. But I still feel like I have fleas. It's January in Iowa and by now we've had our first frost. I haven't found any flea dirt on him or on this bedding (which I was weekly). However, this morning I found a little brown/black speck where he was laying, put it on toilet paper, rubbed it and it turned red/orange but it was the only speck I found. Am I overreacting? FYI I do have OCD and take medicine for it. I simply want a professional answer on the fleas. Thank you!

It sounds like you are doing the right things. One thing to know about fleas is that you will not be able to cure the problem instantly. When a dog has fleas, there will be flea eggs in your house. While vacuuming will help, it's not going to completely get rid of the fleas.

As the flea eggs hatch, they are amazing at seeking out a cat or dog to jump on. They can only reproduce if they get a blood meal from a cat or a dog. So, you need to keep treating monthly. Sometimes we can get rid of a problem in 3 months, but sometimes it can take 6. You need to be sure that every animal in the house is treated with a prescription product each month.

There are some parts of the world where Frontline is not working as well as it used to. I can't speak from experience because I practice in Canada where we do not have Frontline. But, you could ask your vet's opinion on the efficacy of Frontline in your area. If it is not working well, then you could switch to a product such as Comfortis, Revolution, Trifexis or Advantage.

For more information on fleas, you can check out this article that I wrote:
Help with flea problems.

Red dots on dog's abdomen. Hello. My dog Biscuit has been having red dots like skin under his abdominal. It... (6905 views)

Ear problems in a cat. I adopted my cat Fudge from a shelter when he was 9. He came with a host of... (11835 views)

What caused my cat to die? Hello Dr. Marie - I found my cat dead yesterday morning under my neighbors van,... (48726 views)

Toxic to pets? I am going green and looking for a floor cleaning solution that is dog safe. I was... (7048 views)

Pregnancy symptoms in dogs. Hi Dr Marie My 2.5 yr old OES was bred last week with 1 AI and 5 natural ties. This... (18296 views)

Infection after cherry eye surgery? Chewy had successful cherry eye surgery about 3 months ago. Vet has closed. I... (19523 views)

Rimadyl and liver problems. Hi Dr. Marie Last night my dog sustained some type of injury to himself while... (10641 views)

I'm out of prednisone. Sammy has been on 2.5mg of prednisone per day for the past two years for... (18140 views)

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (11177 views)

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (11488 views)