Large lump on back.

Breed: mutt
hi. my dog has a large hump on the top of his back. it doesn't seem to hurt him at all but i was curious what you think it could be.it looks like it keeps getting bigger.right now it's the size of a softball. should i be concerned about it being something that will eventually get so bad i will have to put him down. thank you in advance for your response.

There are lots of things that this can be.

It may be a lipoma which is a fat lump and nothing to worry about.

It could be an abscess. If this is the case it will need some surgery and antibiotics.

Any time there is a lump I recommend having a vet take a look.

The vet should be able to tell you whether there is a concern for cancer or not.

Cloudy eye after an infection hi my dog steve is 8 months old hes a pureb german shepherd, within the last 8weeks... (10394 views)

Xylitol in fruit toxic to dogs? Hello Dr. Marie, I've recently become very aware of the dangers of xylitol with... (28787 views)

Golden retriever with lymphoma died. My golden retriever was 125 pounds (all muscle) and enjoyed perfect health for all... (29285 views)

Cat having trouble urinating. I have a cat, a very lively talkative cat, who is displaying health problems. She... (5954 views)

Wheezing cat. My cat is wheezing. Because he is 15 now I was not suprised. But then it grew worse.... (13231 views)

Dental problems in 20 year old cat. My cat Jack, who is 20 yrs old and has a predominant heart murmur and obviously a... (12014 views)

Excessive drooling Recently my cat, who is a little more than 15 years old, has stared excessively... (4240 views)

Gerbil's head exploded. We have had two gerbils for a couple of years but last night one of there heads... (13905 views)

Is FHO a good idea? my 11 year old 35kg male dog suffers from severe hip displasia & pain relief... (12212 views)

Cause of death? Hi Dr. Marie, I\'m sorry that I can\'t afford to pay for an answer, but your... (4625 views)