Large lump on back.

Breed: mutt
hi. my dog has a large hump on the top of his back. it doesn't seem to hurt him at all but i was curious what you think it could be.it looks like it keeps getting bigger.right now it's the size of a softball. should i be concerned about it being something that will eventually get so bad i will have to put him down. thank you in advance for your response.

There are lots of things that this can be.

It may be a lipoma which is a fat lump and nothing to worry about.

It could be an abscess. If this is the case it will need some surgery and antibiotics.

Any time there is a lump I recommend having a vet take a look.

The vet should be able to tell you whether there is a concern for cancer or not.

Is my dog in heat? my dog was really sick and she wouldnt eat. then after a few days she got better and... (36023 views)

Crusty sores on cat. I noticed Robin had a sore that seemed infected under the right side of his chin. I... (35433 views)

Not sure if first shots done. I just bought a 7 week old pomeranian from a local family. They told me he has had... (40484 views)

Why did my cat die? Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece... (16094 views)

Cat pulling hair out of stomach. Dark has been pulling the hair out of his stomach for over a year. He now has a... (13745 views)

Dark sticky diarrhea. My 14yr old poodle has diarrhea and an upset stomach (he keeps eating grass in the... (17181 views)

Bump near anus. My dog has what looks like a pimple or maybe an ingrown hair? It's not white like a... (48138 views)

Milk coming out of squirrel's nose. I have an orphaned squirrel that doesn't have his eyes open yet. He has aspirated... (15905 views)

Dog pees when excited. comit had surgery done to remove a hernia and the vets said it was of most good to... (13257 views)

How many vaccines for a puppy? Hi Dr. Marie, Codee was given 5in1 parovirus 2 shots. Is it true that it should... (6251 views)