Large lump on back.

Breed: mutt
hi. my dog has a large hump on the top of his back. it doesn't seem to hurt him at all but i was curious what you think it could be.it looks like it keeps getting bigger.right now it's the size of a softball. should i be concerned about it being something that will eventually get so bad i will have to put him down. thank you in advance for your response.

There are lots of things that this can be.

It may be a lipoma which is a fat lump and nothing to worry about.

It could be an abscess. If this is the case it will need some surgery and antibiotics.

Any time there is a lump I recommend having a vet take a look.

The vet should be able to tell you whether there is a concern for cancer or not.

Sick Golden Dr., I try to keep this short: My kids golden, 7+ years old, got lyme like 3... (7405 views)

Dog ate sewing needle. I think my dog has swallowed a sewing needle. What should I... (38314 views)

Kennel cough in pregnant dog. My dog just started very mild reverse sneeze/sneezing and slight runny nose I'm... (19119 views)

Swelling on dog's face. Hi the right side of my 6 year old boxer boy's face has swelled up - looks like he... (55449 views)

Repeated bouts of Giardia. Our 4 month old Boston terrier Gidget was diagnosed with giardia over 6 weeks ago.... (7489 views)

dog rigid then drowsy I was rubbing my dog's tummy while he was lying on his back like always. He then... (8975 views)

Senior food for 7 year old dog? I have 2 black pugs. One (Mr. P) is 11 years old, and the other (Samson) is 7 years... (5411 views)

Vomiting, diarrhea and red eyes. Hi Dr. Marie, My cat Mercy is 6 years old and is an indoor cat (she is deaf). ... (13484 views)

Did I make the right decision? Hello, I guess my question isn't so much of a question but more of a plea for... (43276 views)

Rabies from a feral kitten? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings and I hope this e-mail reaches you in good health. I... (18171 views)