Large lump on back.

Breed: mutt
hi. my dog has a large hump on the top of his back. it doesn't seem to hurt him at all but i was curious what you think it could be.it looks like it keeps getting bigger.right now it's the size of a softball. should i be concerned about it being something that will eventually get so bad i will have to put him down. thank you in advance for your response.

There are lots of things that this can be.

It may be a lipoma which is a fat lump and nothing to worry about.

It could be an abscess. If this is the case it will need some surgery and antibiotics.

Any time there is a lump I recommend having a vet take a look.

The vet should be able to tell you whether there is a concern for cancer or not.

Sudden pain in dog. I have a nine year old female black lab mix, Polly. When I adopted her, I was... (6230 views)

Large black mole on dog. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m kind of worried because my dog, a Labrador retriever he has... (31498 views)

Possible elbow hygroma. I just noticed a mass on my 4 month old puppy's front right leg. She is mini... (27554 views)

Dog has lost her voice. What could cause this? It's come on gradually for about 3 months. When she tries to... (14987 views)

Parvo carrier? A dog by the name of Bo was pulled from the pound along with some puppies, the... (29551 views)

Not eating, drinking or peeing. I aquired this 10yr old fixed,declawed male cat a couple of months ago. for about 4... (11948 views)

Cat is always hungry and stealing food. hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4... (14077 views)

Coughing puppy. My 3 month old puppy is trying to hack/cough up as if she has something stuck in... (11460 views)

Possibly hip dysplasia. Dear Dr. Marie, I recently had to put my dog down as he was only two and a half... (7561 views)

Coughing shih tzu. Louie has always gagged after drinking water, often clear watery mucous comes up. ... (24667 views)