Dog is scratching his ear.

Breed: shepard/pit bull mix
For the past couple of weeks, Shilo has been scratching his ear and rubbing it on either the carpet or furniture. He does not seem to be in any pain but when I scratch in front of his ear, he pulls away from me (he did not always do this). He appears to be healthy and as active as usual. What should I do?

It sounds like you may be dealing with an ear infection.

Sometimes it is not easy to see if the ear is infected or not. While we usually see an increase in waxy debris and some odor, sometimes we just see a little bit of redness.

Dogs with sarcoptic mange can have itchy ears along the ear margin which is the side of the ear as opposed to the inside. These dogs are usually itchy behind the elbows as well.

I would highly advise a vet visit. If there is an ear infection it will not go away without a prescription medication.

I hope all is well!

Guinea pig not eating. Hello, I have a 3 year old guinea pig who has stopped eating. Last week I... (6605 views)

Guinea pig jumping out of my arms. I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks.... (5681 views)

Scrubbing Bubbles toxic? My Toulouse is a male. I discovered one day that after I would exit the shower &... (20802 views)

Is this a liver shunt? Hello Dr. Marie, Murphy is 16 months old. For the first 6 months of her life, she... (4483 views)

Is clostridium zoonotic? Clostridium Type A has been known to cause sudden death in healthy deer but it has... (7957 views)

Dog suddenly needy. Austin is 7. He is a shelter dog. I've had him since he was 2-ish. He was diagnosed... (35111 views)

High ALT in a dog. Autumn went to the vet on Sept 29, 2013 with a problem jumping and walking on... (17986 views)

Low fat foods and tripe for pancreatitis. My 3 yr old Golden who was on Orijen for 2 years had a pancreatitis attack about 6... (23552 views)

Incontinent kitten. Hi there! I have a kitten who was found in a drain at about 3 weeks. The vets at... (11345 views)

Facial lymph nodes and teething. Hi Dr. Marie, After a lot of investigating w/ my own regular vet (very... (11624 views)