Dog is scratching his ear.

Breed: shepard/pit bull mix
For the past couple of weeks, Shilo has been scratching his ear and rubbing it on either the carpet or furniture. He does not seem to be in any pain but when I scratch in front of his ear, he pulls away from me (he did not always do this). He appears to be healthy and as active as usual. What should I do?

It sounds like you may be dealing with an ear infection.

Sometimes it is not easy to see if the ear is infected or not. While we usually see an increase in waxy debris and some odor, sometimes we just see a little bit of redness.

Dogs with sarcoptic mange can have itchy ears along the ear margin which is the side of the ear as opposed to the inside. These dogs are usually itchy behind the elbows as well.

I would highly advise a vet visit. If there is an ear infection it will not go away without a prescription medication.

I hope all is well!

Cold paws and sore belly. My cat is in really bad shape, at first, she was really bloated and meowed in pain... (12382 views)

Clear discharge from eye. Hi there, My one year old cat has had a slight watery discharge from her left eye... (12908 views)

Dog with bloody stool. Hi, I mistakenly changed my dog's food without mixing which I now know is a big... (14177 views)

Senior food for 7 year old dog? I have 2 black pugs. One (Mr. P) is 11 years old, and the other (Samson) is 7 years... (6013 views)

Guinea pig losing teeth. its mouth is sore and can only chew mashed up food its loosing his teeth to its not... (10343 views)

Diaphragmatic hernia. Our 8-year-old neutered male cat has a history of various health issues:... (8034 views)

Does pet store flea medicine work? My dog just got fleas. I've given her multiple flea baths, flea collar, and flea... (13750 views)

Grove snail care. Dear Dr. Marie, Hi. My snail has been burying himself lately, so whenever I want... (14431 views)

Home cooked diet for dog. I cook Tater ground sirloin, white rice and then mix in some canned no salt green... (6620 views)

Large lump on dog's side. A lump (about the size of a quarter) showed up suddenly on his side, about an inch... (27467 views)