Dog is scratching his ear.

Breed: shepard/pit bull mix
For the past couple of weeks, Shilo has been scratching his ear and rubbing it on either the carpet or furniture. He does not seem to be in any pain but when I scratch in front of his ear, he pulls away from me (he did not always do this). He appears to be healthy and as active as usual. What should I do?

It sounds like you may be dealing with an ear infection.

Sometimes it is not easy to see if the ear is infected or not. While we usually see an increase in waxy debris and some odor, sometimes we just see a little bit of redness.

Dogs with sarcoptic mange can have itchy ears along the ear margin which is the side of the ear as opposed to the inside. These dogs are usually itchy behind the elbows as well.

I would highly advise a vet visit. If there is an ear infection it will not go away without a prescription medication.

I hope all is well!

Golden Retriever puppy diarrhea. Dr, All of a sudden last Sunday my 8 week old male Golden had two large stools... (19537 views)

Coronavirus and FIP. I recently adopted a cat from overseas, and I found out later he was housed briefly... (8487 views)

Oozing boil on dog's paw. My dog has a sort of woozing boil on her paw and all around it there is hair loss... (12176 views)

Inbreeding dogs. is it true that if a female dog and her son have a relationship will the puppies... (41546 views)

Sore head from bow. Hello, My dog got her bow caught and it ripped the hair out of the top of her head.... (6819 views)

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (10012 views)

Not eating, losing weight. My cat has lost a lot of weight in the past 3 weeks. She cries for food but then... (9523 views)

Anal tumor. I have an 8 year old male labrador retriever, we has terrible hips problems in which... (13086 views)

KBr Side Effects? I read your answer about seeing severe side effects of KBR and would like your... (11375 views)

Swelling on dog's face. Hi the right side of my 6 year old boxer boy's face has swelled up - looks like he... (54333 views)