Dog is scratching his ear.

Breed: shepard/pit bull mix
For the past couple of weeks, Shilo has been scratching his ear and rubbing it on either the carpet or furniture. He does not seem to be in any pain but when I scratch in front of his ear, he pulls away from me (he did not always do this). He appears to be healthy and as active as usual. What should I do?

It sounds like you may be dealing with an ear infection.

Sometimes it is not easy to see if the ear is infected or not. While we usually see an increase in waxy debris and some odor, sometimes we just see a little bit of redness.

Dogs with sarcoptic mange can have itchy ears along the ear margin which is the side of the ear as opposed to the inside. These dogs are usually itchy behind the elbows as well.

I would highly advise a vet visit. If there is an ear infection it will not go away without a prescription medication.

I hope all is well!

Where can I buy Tramadol? Steve has a degenerative disease.He is doing well.I give him steroids almost every... (55547 views)

Fly biting seizures. At night with the lights on, Misha snaps at the air as if she's catching flies.... (21155 views)

Allergy treatment. I know Memphis has allergies. Within the last month he has started itching his eyes.... (9354 views)

Methamphetamine use by dog. "My dog has mental breakdown in which he acts like he is on drugs. he runs in... (17446 views)

Hamster too cold? hi! my hamster has been sleeping alot. she is usally up sometimes during the day and... (8358 views)

Did raw food cause death? Hi, Dr. Marie, My sweet Shiva, who has been with me since an 8-wk old pup in 2002,... (8899 views)

Pain in front leg. She has been limping, crying out to us, and holding up her front right leg. It... (8316 views)

My dog won't eat. Hello i have a male 2 year old pitbull. He is an extremely picky eater when it comes... (16138 views)

Diarrhea with canned food. We have only had goliath for 5 months. all my other cats I would give them a little... (6616 views)

Aggressive cat. I have had 2 cats same amount of time. Julia has started hissing, growling, and... (9807 views)