Dog is scratching his ear.

Breed: shepard/pit bull mix
For the past couple of weeks, Shilo has been scratching his ear and rubbing it on either the carpet or furniture. He does not seem to be in any pain but when I scratch in front of his ear, he pulls away from me (he did not always do this). He appears to be healthy and as active as usual. What should I do?

It sounds like you may be dealing with an ear infection.

Sometimes it is not easy to see if the ear is infected or not. While we usually see an increase in waxy debris and some odor, sometimes we just see a little bit of redness.

Dogs with sarcoptic mange can have itchy ears along the ear margin which is the side of the ear as opposed to the inside. These dogs are usually itchy behind the elbows as well.

I would highly advise a vet visit. If there is an ear infection it will not go away without a prescription medication.

I hope all is well!

mycoplasma felis respiratory infection Hi. I asked you a question previously about Indigo and I'd really like your... (30364 views)

Seizures and not eating. Earlier in the week Cash had a pee/poop/vomit fest in the house, unusual for him. ... (7161 views)

Wound on dog's ear. Hello, my puppy has a tiny hole underneath his ear flap. It's red and I worry its... (11660 views)

Pitbull with breathing problems. My daughter rescued a pit bull a few years ago. He has been an amazing dog. However,... (12159 views)

Stop puppy from biting. How can I stop my puppy from biting me? I don't want to give her up but she is... (7825 views)

Severe liver problems. I took Dillinger to vet on Friday, and after a blood test and urine analysis the vet... (6010 views)

Dog licking everything My dog has recently started compulsivley licking his paws/us/anything else he can... (13189 views)

Paralyzed Rottweiler. 10 yr old rottie mix 100 lbs suddenly became unable to move or walk 5 days ago. He... (11824 views)

Pain in nose and snout. Well, my dog Minnie hasn't been herself lately. The problem is that if I touch her... (27437 views)

Cat doesn't want to move. My cats bio: July was infested with fleas. Took two months to totally rid them from... (4584 views)