Dog is scratching his ear.

Breed: shepard/pit bull mix
For the past couple of weeks, Shilo has been scratching his ear and rubbing it on either the carpet or furniture. He does not seem to be in any pain but when I scratch in front of his ear, he pulls away from me (he did not always do this). He appears to be healthy and as active as usual. What should I do?

It sounds like you may be dealing with an ear infection.

Sometimes it is not easy to see if the ear is infected or not. While we usually see an increase in waxy debris and some odor, sometimes we just see a little bit of redness.

Dogs with sarcoptic mange can have itchy ears along the ear margin which is the side of the ear as opposed to the inside. These dogs are usually itchy behind the elbows as well.

I would highly advise a vet visit. If there is an ear infection it will not go away without a prescription medication.

I hope all is well!

Puppy vomiting at night. My 5 month old lab is crate trained and in his crate almost nightly he has begun to... (45150 views)

Guinea Pig heat cycle. my female guinea pig has a swollen vulva which is very red. this happens once every... (30493 views)

Genetics of lymphoma for Goldens. Its been a tough week. This question is looking hopefully many years down the... (4874 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old dachshund. She consumed 2 and 1/2 pieces of... (9306 views)

Regular anal gland expression. Hello, I am trying to get some answers about my puppy's anal gland problem. I... (6687 views)

Cat won't eat or drink. Licorice doesn't want to eat much or drink. He is lethargic, but his gums are pink... (21024 views)

What does rat poison look like? I live in a town right outside of Boston, MA. We recently got a lot of snow, so they... (17994 views)

Red eye in kitten. my kitten all of a sudden got a red around his left eye. He keeps pawing at it when... (7986 views)

Why did my cat die? my 10-year-old cat died today, she had lost weight had yesterday something happened... (10795 views)

Trouble breathing and died. my beloved cat mr whippy died recently and i am breaking my heart thinking i could... (8624 views)