Swollen glands in neck.

Breed: corgi
7 year old corgie, swollen glands in neck, possible swelling in abdominal area near hind quarters, loose stool, poor appetite, lethargy

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Jack is not feeling well.

It sounds like the glands you are describing in his neck are swollen lymph nodes. There are really only two reasons why lymph nodes get swollen. One is infection and the other is cancer.

Can you feel for similar lumps on his back legs just behind his knee? I'll draw you a picture of where the popliteal lymph nodes are:

popliteal lymph node

Normally the lymph node will be very tiny (like a large pea) but if you can feel a big ball in this area then these lymph nodes are swollen as well.

If you are feeling that these lymph node are swollen then I am very concerned about the possibility of a cancer called lymphoma. Lymphoma can sometimes be treated successfully with chemotherapy, but often it is fatal.

There are some infections that can cause all the lymph nodes to be swollen but this is not common.

If just the front lymph nodes are swollen there is the possibility that this is some type of infection. But this really shouldn't cause a swelling in his abdomen.

It sounds like Jack needs to see a vet as soon as possible. The vet should be able to tell quite easily if this is likely to be cancer or infection.

I hope he is ok!

Thank you for your time and thorough and thoughtful reply. I was hoping it was just an infection... We did take Jack to our vet yesterday. It is lymphoma. She prescribed prednisone just to make him feel better until it over takes him. Much sadness in the Carter household this Christmas, thanks again.

Steve Carter

Oh, I'm very sorry to hear that this is lymphoma. That was my fear.

In my experience dogs with lymphoma tend to do extremely well on Prednisone for a few weeks and then decline fairly rapidly.

Most of my clients do seem to know when it is time to decide for euthanasia.

I hope little Jack makes it through Christmas ok.

Thank you and God Bless! Steve

Do cats taste sweet? Dr. Marie, This is really more of a general question than a question about my pet... (20050 views)

Dog panting at night time. I would like to know if you can tell me why my dog is panting at night time. I have... (292985 views)

Cat is really hungry. Maya has feline asthma and has been on inhaled corticosteroids for a year... (15178 views)

Dog drinking less water. Over the past week, my dog has been drinking less water than usual. She usually... (13791 views)

Dog with masticatory myositis. hi my dog has had masticatory myositis last jan and again in april and now has it... (9486 views)

Dog spay incision lump. My dog has a lump under her spay incision. I adopted Tiaa from a rescue group a... (78549 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma questions. Hello Dr. Marie, What is the typical procedure to removal meibomian gland... (14893 views)

Very sick dog. Last night I noticed my dog had diarrhea and bad gas, but I thought she was just a... (14840 views)

Rapid wheezing in a cat. My family adopted a cat from the humane society almost a year ago. When we got her... (10257 views)

Puppy has 6-8 bowel movements per day. My 7 month old dog has 6 - 8 bowel movements per day. Most are well formed, some... (14147 views)