Swollen glands in neck.

Breed: corgi
7 year old corgie, swollen glands in neck, possible swelling in abdominal area near hind quarters, loose stool, poor appetite, lethargy

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Jack is not feeling well.

It sounds like the glands you are describing in his neck are swollen lymph nodes. There are really only two reasons why lymph nodes get swollen. One is infection and the other is cancer.

Can you feel for similar lumps on his back legs just behind his knee? I'll draw you a picture of where the popliteal lymph nodes are:

popliteal lymph node

Normally the lymph node will be very tiny (like a large pea) but if you can feel a big ball in this area then these lymph nodes are swollen as well.

If you are feeling that these lymph node are swollen then I am very concerned about the possibility of a cancer called lymphoma. Lymphoma can sometimes be treated successfully with chemotherapy, but often it is fatal.

There are some infections that can cause all the lymph nodes to be swollen but this is not common.

If just the front lymph nodes are swollen there is the possibility that this is some type of infection. But this really shouldn't cause a swelling in his abdomen.

It sounds like Jack needs to see a vet as soon as possible. The vet should be able to tell quite easily if this is likely to be cancer or infection.

I hope he is ok!

Thank you for your time and thorough and thoughtful reply. I was hoping it was just an infection... We did take Jack to our vet yesterday. It is lymphoma. She prescribed prednisone just to make him feel better until it over takes him. Much sadness in the Carter household this Christmas, thanks again.

Steve Carter

Oh, I'm very sorry to hear that this is lymphoma. That was my fear.

In my experience dogs with lymphoma tend to do extremely well on Prednisone for a few weeks and then decline fairly rapidly.

Most of my clients do seem to know when it is time to decide for euthanasia.

I hope little Jack makes it through Christmas ok.

Thank you and God Bless! Steve

Seizures Max is 14. Four nights ago he had a big seizure that lasted about 60-90 seconds. ... (88844 views)

Cancerous growth in dog's mouth? Hi, I have just spotted a growth in my dogs mouth. What does mouth cancer look like... (12981 views)

Frontline Plus and Advantage Multi? Can I give my dog Advantage Multi plus the Frontline Plus. I know the Advantage... (16435 views)

Cause of death? Hi Dr. Marie, I\'m sorry that I can\'t afford to pay for an answer, but your... (5130 views)

Wound on dog's ear. Hello, my puppy has a tiny hole underneath his ear flap. It's red and I worry its... (13832 views)

Pemphigus and prednisone. Dear Dr Marie I am from Nepal. It is a developing country with per capita income... (5076 views)

Dog is panting a lot. My dog Sam has been panting alot for the past year. Recently he is doing this more... (24035 views)

Why is my dog limping? hello we have just woke up this morning and found my american bulldog limping on his... (39758 views)

Dental problems and weight loss. i think she has a bad tooth,lost of weight,not eating her regular food,gave her rice... (15957 views)

Puppy biting owners. My Pomeranian puppy is now four months old and last week i gave anti rabies... (11027 views)