Swollen glands in neck.

Breed: corgi
7 year old corgie, swollen glands in neck, possible swelling in abdominal area near hind quarters, loose stool, poor appetite, lethargy

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Jack is not feeling well.

It sounds like the glands you are describing in his neck are swollen lymph nodes. There are really only two reasons why lymph nodes get swollen. One is infection and the other is cancer.

Can you feel for similar lumps on his back legs just behind his knee? I'll draw you a picture of where the popliteal lymph nodes are:

popliteal lymph node

Normally the lymph node will be very tiny (like a large pea) but if you can feel a big ball in this area then these lymph nodes are swollen as well.

If you are feeling that these lymph node are swollen then I am very concerned about the possibility of a cancer called lymphoma. Lymphoma can sometimes be treated successfully with chemotherapy, but often it is fatal.

There are some infections that can cause all the lymph nodes to be swollen but this is not common.

If just the front lymph nodes are swollen there is the possibility that this is some type of infection. But this really shouldn't cause a swelling in his abdomen.

It sounds like Jack needs to see a vet as soon as possible. The vet should be able to tell quite easily if this is likely to be cancer or infection.

I hope he is ok!

Thank you for your time and thorough and thoughtful reply. I was hoping it was just an infection... We did take Jack to our vet yesterday. It is lymphoma. She prescribed prednisone just to make him feel better until it over takes him. Much sadness in the Carter household this Christmas, thanks again.

Steve Carter

Oh, I'm very sorry to hear that this is lymphoma. That was my fear.

In my experience dogs with lymphoma tend to do extremely well on Prednisone for a few weeks and then decline fairly rapidly.

Most of my clients do seem to know when it is time to decide for euthanasia.

I hope little Jack makes it through Christmas ok.

Thank you and God Bless! Steve

Pain in stomatitis after extractions. 9 year old cat has stomatitis. She is NOT FIV positive. She has had all her teeth... (19759 views)

Is rescue cat in pain? Hello I took in a stray female cat about 10 days ago. HER behaviour is odd. She... (9036 views)

Healthy weight for a puppy. My papipoo recently had a haircut and I was shocked at how skinny he is. What is a... (10549 views)

Dime sized sore above eye. Turbo has a dime size sore just above his left eye. Ive tried washing with peroxide... (18005 views)

Panting after insulin. My 6 year old dog was Diagnosed with diabetes 5 months ago. Having some trouble... (44625 views)

Constipated dog. We have a large, 45kg, dog, mixed breed.He's five and a half years old. He is... (9067 views)

Lepto from mice? I live in New York City, in an apartment. Two days ago, I left Honey's food out on... (15413 views)

Lifespan of a rat? What is the average lifespan of a rat? My rat is 3 years old and very healthy. Is... (7280 views)

High liver enzymes. After vomiting, we took him to the vet, thinking it was a sinus or allergy... (12030 views)

13 year old cat losing weight. I have a 13 yr old male cat that has gradually started to lose weight. He has had... (10168 views)