Swollen glands in neck.

Breed: corgi
7 year old corgie, swollen glands in neck, possible swelling in abdominal area near hind quarters, loose stool, poor appetite, lethargy

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Jack is not feeling well.

It sounds like the glands you are describing in his neck are swollen lymph nodes. There are really only two reasons why lymph nodes get swollen. One is infection and the other is cancer.

Can you feel for similar lumps on his back legs just behind his knee? I'll draw you a picture of where the popliteal lymph nodes are:

popliteal lymph node

Normally the lymph node will be very tiny (like a large pea) but if you can feel a big ball in this area then these lymph nodes are swollen as well.

If you are feeling that these lymph node are swollen then I am very concerned about the possibility of a cancer called lymphoma. Lymphoma can sometimes be treated successfully with chemotherapy, but often it is fatal.

There are some infections that can cause all the lymph nodes to be swollen but this is not common.

If just the front lymph nodes are swollen there is the possibility that this is some type of infection. But this really shouldn't cause a swelling in his abdomen.

It sounds like Jack needs to see a vet as soon as possible. The vet should be able to tell quite easily if this is likely to be cancer or infection.

I hope he is ok!

Thank you for your time and thorough and thoughtful reply. I was hoping it was just an infection... We did take Jack to our vet yesterday. It is lymphoma. She prescribed prednisone just to make him feel better until it over takes him. Much sadness in the Carter household this Christmas, thanks again.

Steve Carter

Oh, I'm very sorry to hear that this is lymphoma. That was my fear.

In my experience dogs with lymphoma tend to do extremely well on Prednisone for a few weeks and then decline fairly rapidly.

Most of my clients do seem to know when it is time to decide for euthanasia.

I hope little Jack makes it through Christmas ok.

Thank you and God Bless! Steve

Swollen carpal pad. Dear Dr. Marie: About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the carpal pad on our... (30188 views)

Cat with megacolon. My 12-year old cat was diagnosed with megacolon about five years ago. When he looks... (7144 views)

Healthy cat died suddenly. Why did my cat die? I came home from work today to find that my cat had died. I... (26514 views)

Inbreeding dogs. is it true that if a female dog and her son have a relationship will the puppies... (41976 views)

Anxious cat - medicine? Hello, My Cat Guen shows MANY attention seeking behaviors. She chews chords,... (20681 views)

Cat has scabs and dry skin. Any home treatment for scabs/dry skin for cats on their head, chin, and neck? I put... (12703 views)

Anal sac abscess. my dogs butt is very pouched out and red and leaking pus what can i do for my little... (13060 views)

Hamster with cushing's disease hi a am mina. i have 10 hamester. Unfortunately "blaki" (my Hamster) Maybe have... (9995 views)

Diarrhea and not eating. My saluki started with a foul smelling yellow diarrhea. Then she slowly stopped... (5696 views)

Connection between dandruff and diabetes? My pet has recently been diagnosed with Diabetes. She is on 5 units of insulin 2x... (15835 views)