Black skin patches on dog.

Breed: Harrier mix
My dog started developing patches on his side a few months ago. His hair is falling out in these patches and the skin appears to look dry, scaly, red and sometimes bleeding. It doesn't appear to hurt or bother him. He's currently not on any medications. The most recent patch looks quite large like the size of two quarters side by side. Some older patches look like hair is growing back. Is there an ointment or something I can put on it? Is this an allergy?
Thank you,
Carrie

Sorry to hear about Sammy's skin problems. And thank you for sending me the photo:

black skin on dog

Are these patches symmetrical? Or, in other words is there one on either side?

If so, this may be something called flank alopecia (also called seasonal alopecia). We often don't know the cause for flank alopecia. It is common in boxer dogs but it can happen in any breed. While some people will try treating it with melatonin, it's debatable whether this works. I usually don't do any treatment and it gets better on its own within a few months.

Flank alopecia is not itchy. If this is an itchy spot then it will be something else. A fungal infection could potentially look like this, but my money would really be on flank alopecia. If this is itchy then I would have your vet look at it. If it is some type of infection then Sammy would need a prescription medication, most likely in the form of tablets in order to get better. There won't be a cream that will help.

Some dogs with hypothyroidism can have skin that looks like this. But this is not common.

If it is not bothersome to Sammy then it's probably ok to keep an eye on him for now. Otherwise it's good to have your vet take a look.

It's not symmetrical. In fact, the patches are only occurring on side of him.

Seasonal alopecia still can happen to a dog even if it is not symmetrical. However, if there are a lot of spots then it is probably a good idea to have your vet take a look.

Kennel cough in pregnant dog. My dog just started very mild reverse sneeze/sneezing and slight runny nose I'm... (29085 views)

Sick after having puppies. I have an important question about my dog. She had puppies 2 weeks ago and suddenly... (12384 views)

Cat abscess not healing. About two weeks ago we took my cat to the vet, he has a abscess near his bottom, the... (14341 views)

Kitten nursing on my neck. why does my 8 to 10 month old kitty keep trying to suckle at my neck. He will not... (23046 views)

OTC sedation for cats. I just brought my two cats home from their dental cleaning and found out that they... (114816 views)

Bloated abdomen my dog has been severly bloated for five weeks, at first i thought he had just got... (15297 views)

Wart on dog's paw. Hello Dr Marie, I'm hoping you can help me identify a lump that I have found on... (32799 views)

Swollen face after fight. My miniature pinscher was attacked by a boxer a few days ago. Her wounds have... (14664 views)

Large scab on cat's neck Dear Dr. Marie, My cat has a scab on its back, it's L shaped and is uniformly... (16113 views)

Not eating, blood tests normal. Hello, Dr. Marie. I'm actually asking this question for my parents about their cat,... (28247 views)