Black skin patches on dog.

Breed: Harrier mix
My dog started developing patches on his side a few months ago. His hair is falling out in these patches and the skin appears to look dry, scaly, red and sometimes bleeding. It doesn't appear to hurt or bother him. He's currently not on any medications. The most recent patch looks quite large like the size of two quarters side by side. Some older patches look like hair is growing back. Is there an ointment or something I can put on it? Is this an allergy?
Thank you,
Carrie

Sorry to hear about Sammy's skin problems. And thank you for sending me the photo:

black skin on dog

Are these patches symmetrical? Or, in other words is there one on either side?

If so, this may be something called flank alopecia (also called seasonal alopecia). We often don't know the cause for flank alopecia. It is common in boxer dogs but it can happen in any breed. While some people will try treating it with melatonin, it's debatable whether this works. I usually don't do any treatment and it gets better on its own within a few months.

Flank alopecia is not itchy. If this is an itchy spot then it will be something else. A fungal infection could potentially look like this, but my money would really be on flank alopecia. If this is itchy then I would have your vet look at it. If it is some type of infection then Sammy would need a prescription medication, most likely in the form of tablets in order to get better. There won't be a cream that will help.

Some dogs with hypothyroidism can have skin that looks like this. But this is not common.

If it is not bothersome to Sammy then it's probably ok to keep an eye on him for now. Otherwise it's good to have your vet take a look.

It's not symmetrical. In fact, the patches are only occurring on side of him.

Seasonal alopecia still can happen to a dog even if it is not symmetrical. However, if there are a lot of spots then it is probably a good idea to have your vet take a look.

My cat's fur is falling out. My cat's fur is falling out. Patchy and balding. I have 2 cats, the other is... (13958 views)

Cat has scabs on neck. Hi! My cat wont stop scratching himself..he is an indoor cat and it just randomly... (11333 views)

D-Con mice bait ingested. 75 to 80 lb dog ingested D-con mice bait, eliminated it all in bowel movement,... (17829 views)

My dog is pooping blood. What does it mean when a dog poops blood? I woke up this morning and there was... (669014 views)

Ear Cleaning. I'd like to know is a vinegar and water solution a good home remedy for my dogs... (24924 views)

Roundworms and hookworms. How often do you find roundworms /hookworms in dogs is it rare of fairly... (3948 views)

Can dog get Hepatitis C? can dogs contract hep c from biting someone that has it? ... (25587 views)

Kitten died after anesthetic. Dear Dr. Marie, We are heartbroken. Our 5 MONTH old spyhnx kitten passed away... (7321 views)

Antibiotics for anal glands? Hi I have written before about our unique living situation. We are expats with... (6479 views)

Poodle with leg problems. My dog is a small size poodle. she is now 2 years old when she turned 1 she started... (7233 views)