Black skin patches on dog.

Breed: Harrier mix
My dog started developing patches on his side a few months ago. His hair is falling out in these patches and the skin appears to look dry, scaly, red and sometimes bleeding. It doesn't appear to hurt or bother him. He's currently not on any medications. The most recent patch looks quite large like the size of two quarters side by side. Some older patches look like hair is growing back. Is there an ointment or something I can put on it? Is this an allergy?
Thank you,
Carrie

Sorry to hear about Sammy's skin problems. And thank you for sending me the photo:

black skin on dog

Are these patches symmetrical? Or, in other words is there one on either side?

If so, this may be something called flank alopecia (also called seasonal alopecia). We often don't know the cause for flank alopecia. It is common in boxer dogs but it can happen in any breed. While some people will try treating it with melatonin, it's debatable whether this works. I usually don't do any treatment and it gets better on its own within a few months.

Flank alopecia is not itchy. If this is an itchy spot then it will be something else. A fungal infection could potentially look like this, but my money would really be on flank alopecia. If this is itchy then I would have your vet look at it. If it is some type of infection then Sammy would need a prescription medication, most likely in the form of tablets in order to get better. There won't be a cream that will help.

Some dogs with hypothyroidism can have skin that looks like this. But this is not common.

If it is not bothersome to Sammy then it's probably ok to keep an eye on him for now. Otherwise it's good to have your vet take a look.

It's not symmetrical. In fact, the patches are only occurring on side of him.

Seasonal alopecia still can happen to a dog even if it is not symmetrical. However, if there are a lot of spots then it is probably a good idea to have your vet take a look.

Ovariectomy vs. Ovariohysterectomy. My beautiful little girl had a lump near one of her lower nipples last week. After... (7235 views)

Older cat losing weight. My eleven year old cat has congenital hipdisplasia however she has been happy... (23133 views)

Puppy not gaining weight. my puppy is one month old and is not gaining any weight and is not active not eating... (9411 views)

Dog with masticatory myositis. hi my dog has had masticatory myositis last jan and again in april and now has it... (10133 views)

Insulin shock Lucy is diabetic.She gets 4units 2x daily with food..Monday she started to have... (6554 views)

Is vet just trying to make money? I have 3 cats aged 3, 4 and 7. Lately every time I walk into my DVM's off ice I... (8406 views)

Liver disease in a cat. Ruby is 8 years old, and was diagnosed with liver disease last Thursday. I could... (15463 views)

Boxer fainted. My 1 1/2 year old boxer fainted or collapsed yesterday evening as he was walking to... (8110 views)

Kidney problems in ferret. Hi there, I am the owner of a ferret male, 2.5 years old, who in the last week,... (12308 views)

How to stop dog from scratching. I bought a cone for my dog because he has a sore on his eye that he keeps scratching... (17974 views)