Black skin patches on dog.

Breed: Harrier mix
My dog started developing patches on his side a few months ago. His hair is falling out in these patches and the skin appears to look dry, scaly, red and sometimes bleeding. It doesn't appear to hurt or bother him. He's currently not on any medications. The most recent patch looks quite large like the size of two quarters side by side. Some older patches look like hair is growing back. Is there an ointment or something I can put on it? Is this an allergy?
Thank you,
Carrie

Sorry to hear about Sammy's skin problems. And thank you for sending me the photo:

black skin on dog

Are these patches symmetrical? Or, in other words is there one on either side?

If so, this may be something called flank alopecia (also called seasonal alopecia). We often don't know the cause for flank alopecia. It is common in boxer dogs but it can happen in any breed. While some people will try treating it with melatonin, it's debatable whether this works. I usually don't do any treatment and it gets better on its own within a few months.

Flank alopecia is not itchy. If this is an itchy spot then it will be something else. A fungal infection could potentially look like this, but my money would really be on flank alopecia. If this is itchy then I would have your vet look at it. If it is some type of infection then Sammy would need a prescription medication, most likely in the form of tablets in order to get better. There won't be a cream that will help.

Some dogs with hypothyroidism can have skin that looks like this. But this is not common.

If it is not bothersome to Sammy then it's probably ok to keep an eye on him for now. Otherwise it's good to have your vet take a look.

It's not symmetrical. In fact, the patches are only occurring on side of him.

Seasonal alopecia still can happen to a dog even if it is not symmetrical. However, if there are a lot of spots then it is probably a good idea to have your vet take a look.

Sheltie is afraid of people. I have a one year old female Sheltie. she is very nervous around people. She was... (14638 views)

Border collie leg problems? Hi Doctor, from Surrey in The UK, We have a gorgeous Border Collie pup. We think... (13938 views)

Dog jealous over owner. My female dog is 2 years old. She's a black lab. She had puppies and my boyfriend... (20319 views)

Not putting weight on leg. Our cat jumped off the fridge and did something to his back leg. He limps now. When... (11768 views)

Bloated abdomen my dog has been severly bloated for five weeks, at first i thought he had just got... (12700 views)

How to get guinea pig to gain weight. Hi! Remember me? Some days ago one of my friends gave me a guinea pig that she... (14786 views)

Boxer fainted. My 1 1/2 year old boxer fainted or collapsed yesterday evening as he was walking to... (8387 views)

Are tomatoes bad for dogs? I have a question about dogs and tomatoes. I accidentally fed my dog a few(maybe... (541589 views)

Lethargic dog. The last 3 days, Duke has become very lethargic, laying around and just sleeping. ... (30132 views)

Why did my cat die? Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece... (13832 views)