Black spot on dog's nose.

Breed: Labordor
Hi my name is Joanne
I noticed about a week ago my 8 year old lab had a small black growth on the beek of his nose I tried using a wet cloth to clean it and see if I could tell what it is but if you touch it to much it starts to bleed lightly could this be dangerous one week later and it's still there very small and hard feeling

Hi Joanne. This is a tough question to answer without being able to see and feel the lump. Before I speculate, do you think there is any way you could send me a photo of the lump? You can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Hi I sent the picture of Sam

OK, thanks for that. Here is the picture you sent:

black spot on dog's nose

This is really a tough one to answer. My gut instinct is that this is nothing serious. It could be a cyst that continues to come to a head and rupture.

But there is a possibility there could be something more serious going on. Black lumps can be something called a melanoma. Most of these are benign but some can be more serious.

It could also be indicative of a dental problem although the position is not exactly right. Sometimes there can be a festering lump on the nose because of a tooth root infection.

I wouldn't go rushing in on emergency to get this checked. But I would recommend that you have your vet see it at some point in the future. If you have a regularly scheduled visit coming up soon and that would be fine. Otherwise I would make an appointment in the next month or two if things are not resolving.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (6372 views)

Long term effects from chicken jerky? Hello Marie, I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better... (5513 views)

Golden Retriever puppy diarrhea. Dr, All of a sudden last Sunday my 8 week old male Golden had two large stools... (18964 views)

Ectopic ureter or pelvic bladder? My dog ziggy is almost a year old. I got him at 6 months. He has a urination... (39401 views)

Sore head from bow. Hello, My dog got her bow caught and it ripped the hair out of the top of her head.... (6436 views)

Large blister on ear. MY DOG HAS WHAT LOOKS AND FEELS LIKE A LARGE WATER BLISTER ON HIS EAR WHAT COULD IT... (17233 views)

Kittens died. My 9-10 month old cat had five kittens. No problem delivering. Kittens seemed... (10940 views)

Getting new pup after parvo. We rescued a puppy from the pound 6 month ago, we did not know when we get here that... (29060 views)

Peeing on walls. Okay,I have a female spayed 2 year old cat and never sprayed walls and peed walls.... (13014 views)

CCNU chemotherapy. My 12.5 year old Boxer mix was diagnosed with malignant melanoma last week. Surgery... (10206 views)