Black spot on dog's nose.

Breed: Labordor
Hi my name is Joanne
I noticed about a week ago my 8 year old lab had a small black growth on the beek of his nose I tried using a wet cloth to clean it and see if I could tell what it is but if you touch it to much it starts to bleed lightly could this be dangerous one week later and it's still there very small and hard feeling

Hi Joanne. This is a tough question to answer without being able to see and feel the lump. Before I speculate, do you think there is any way you could send me a photo of the lump? You can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Hi I sent the picture of Sam

OK, thanks for that. Here is the picture you sent:

black spot on dog's nose

This is really a tough one to answer. My gut instinct is that this is nothing serious. It could be a cyst that continues to come to a head and rupture.

But there is a possibility there could be something more serious going on. Black lumps can be something called a melanoma. Most of these are benign but some can be more serious.

It could also be indicative of a dental problem although the position is not exactly right. Sometimes there can be a festering lump on the nose because of a tooth root infection.

I wouldn't go rushing in on emergency to get this checked. But I would recommend that you have your vet see it at some point in the future. If you have a regularly scheduled visit coming up soon and that would be fine. Otherwise I would make an appointment in the next month or two if things are not resolving.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Dog can't move tail. My dog's tail is bent at the base and it is almost as if she can't move it. It seems... (11945 views)

Getting new pup after parvo. We rescued a puppy from the pound 6 month ago, we did not know when we get here that... (31480 views)

Vomiting every day. My cat has been throwing up almost every day for weeks but not after feeding. This... (32739 views)

Older dog losing weight. I have Sheppard/Lab mixed breed about 13 years old. She is a large dog and has been... (76723 views)

Older cat with congestion. First, thank u for your input on my cami that past on previous question.my husband... (6180 views)

Dog urinating in house. hey my 5 year old staff has started urinating in the house she has never done this... (10629 views)

Accidents outside of box. Mt cat is litter box trained and has been since she was around 3 months old. We... (6445 views)

PU surgery on a cat? Hi Dr. Marie , I hope you can help me with my cat, Jack. He is 1 ½ years old and... (10009 views)

Sudden death in papillon My Doctor, I had a six year old female Papillon. She was in seemingly perfect and... (8849 views)

Rimadyl and Otomax. Hi, I have a two part question. The first is Rimadyl dosage for an older dog. My... (10907 views)