Black spot on dog's nose.

Breed: Labordor
Hi my name is Joanne
I noticed about a week ago my 8 year old lab had a small black growth on the beek of his nose I tried using a wet cloth to clean it and see if I could tell what it is but if you touch it to much it starts to bleed lightly could this be dangerous one week later and it's still there very small and hard feeling

Hi Joanne. This is a tough question to answer without being able to see and feel the lump. Before I speculate, do you think there is any way you could send me a photo of the lump? You can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Hi I sent the picture of Sam

OK, thanks for that. Here is the picture you sent:

black spot on dog's nose

This is really a tough one to answer. My gut instinct is that this is nothing serious. It could be a cyst that continues to come to a head and rupture.

But there is a possibility there could be something more serious going on. Black lumps can be something called a melanoma. Most of these are benign but some can be more serious.

It could also be indicative of a dental problem although the position is not exactly right. Sometimes there can be a festering lump on the nose because of a tooth root infection.

I wouldn't go rushing in on emergency to get this checked. But I would recommend that you have your vet see it at some point in the future. If you have a regularly scheduled visit coming up soon and that would be fine. Otherwise I would make an appointment in the next month or two if things are not resolving.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Dropped puppy on head. I have a 5 week old puppy, one of 6, he weighs less than 1 pound. My 2 year old... (37956 views)

Puppy ich on skin. why does my puppy have white ich on his skin?Is there any cure to it?Is there any... (16448 views)

Tail fell off. My dog wrapped her tail up in a chain and the other day it fell off. She continues... (12913 views)

My dog is pooping blood. What does it mean when a dog poops blood? I woke up this morning and there was... (692589 views)

Bleeding and then death. What would make a dog bleed soliva, loose muskle control, keep it from eating,... (16192 views)

Should I spay my dog? Hello, I have an 8-year old Maltese which is not spayed. It was something we... (14747 views)

Bumps on belly and vomiting. MY NEO IS AROUND 2 MONTHS OLD,NOT YET VACCINATED. FOR SOME DAYS BOILS ARE... (9628 views)

Dog ate soap. My dog just ate a whole bar of soap? Do I need to be worried? It was Dove soap. ... (183570 views)

congested kitten Hi,i recently took in a stray kitten & a few days ago she started coughing on &... (12999 views)

Swollen carpal pad. Dear Dr. Marie: About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the carpal pad on our... (37462 views)