Black spot on dog's nose.

Breed: Labordor
Hi my name is Joanne
I noticed about a week ago my 8 year old lab had a small black growth on the beek of his nose I tried using a wet cloth to clean it and see if I could tell what it is but if you touch it to much it starts to bleed lightly could this be dangerous one week later and it's still there very small and hard feeling

Hi Joanne. This is a tough question to answer without being able to see and feel the lump. Before I speculate, do you think there is any way you could send me a photo of the lump? You can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Hi I sent the picture of Sam

OK, thanks for that. Here is the picture you sent:

black spot on dog's nose

This is really a tough one to answer. My gut instinct is that this is nothing serious. It could be a cyst that continues to come to a head and rupture.

But there is a possibility there could be something more serious going on. Black lumps can be something called a melanoma. Most of these are benign but some can be more serious.

It could also be indicative of a dental problem although the position is not exactly right. Sometimes there can be a festering lump on the nose because of a tooth root infection.

I wouldn't go rushing in on emergency to get this checked. But I would recommend that you have your vet see it at some point in the future. If you have a regularly scheduled visit coming up soon and that would be fine. Otherwise I would make an appointment in the next month or two if things are not resolving.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Should we continue with antibiotics? Dear Dr. Marie, I'm writing about my cat who had a skin allergy which started... (7523 views)

Aggressive cat. I have had 2 cats same amount of time. Julia has started hissing, growling, and... (9421 views)

Grief after dog's death. I need your help, please... for peace of mind so I can sleep and live with myself. ... (11195 views)

Sick kitten. Kitty is 13 weeks old, has had diarehha off and on for 9 days, also another sibling,... (10826 views)

Facial lymph nodes on a dog. My puppy has a lump under each eye. Almost like a gland. I have no clue, maybe tumor... (23506 views)

Vomiting dog Hi Marie, Our dog is a 5 year old Lhasa male (entire).Which we bought to China with... (24313 views)

Dog urinates while walking Recently, I have noticed that my dog will walk along urinating. It seems to me that... (35347 views)

Reusing thermometers I took my Lhasa Apso, Monroe, to Banfield at PetSmart today. He is having issues... (12636 views)

No bowel movements after parvo. I have a seven month old poodle mix puppy with parvovirus. He was a puppy someone... (28175 views)

Bald spots on cat's legs. I moved from Los Angeles to St.Louis with my cat. For a few months now I've noticed... (19415 views)