Black spot on dog's nose.

Breed: Labordor
Hi my name is Joanne
I noticed about a week ago my 8 year old lab had a small black growth on the beek of his nose I tried using a wet cloth to clean it and see if I could tell what it is but if you touch it to much it starts to bleed lightly could this be dangerous one week later and it's still there very small and hard feeling

Hi Joanne. This is a tough question to answer without being able to see and feel the lump. Before I speculate, do you think there is any way you could send me a photo of the lump? You can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Hi I sent the picture of Sam

OK, thanks for that. Here is the picture you sent:

black spot on dog's nose

This is really a tough one to answer. My gut instinct is that this is nothing serious. It could be a cyst that continues to come to a head and rupture.

But there is a possibility there could be something more serious going on. Black lumps can be something called a melanoma. Most of these are benign but some can be more serious.

It could also be indicative of a dental problem although the position is not exactly right. Sometimes there can be a festering lump on the nose because of a tooth root infection.

I wouldn't go rushing in on emergency to get this checked. But I would recommend that you have your vet see it at some point in the future. If you have a regularly scheduled visit coming up soon and that would be fine. Otherwise I would make an appointment in the next month or two if things are not resolving.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Lumps on mammary glands. Fraya is a rescue we have had for a month. We are not sure of her age, but we think... (27803 views)

Kittens not eating or nursing My cat had 5 kittens 5 weeks ago. Recently, she has stopped feeding them and taking... (14063 views)

Best cloth bedding for guinea pigs. I wanted to make a new bed for my guinea pig's house (her "nest"). Are there any... (9365 views)

Chihuahua had a seizure. Hi , my daughter's dog is very tiny weighing just 3.8 lbs. Last night he was on my... (27164 views)

Golden Retriever puppy diarrhea. Dr, All of a sudden last Sunday my 8 week old male Golden had two large stools... (21440 views)

My dog is grieving. Good Day Dr. In March of 2011 we lost Lucy (Coton du Tulear) to heart disease. ... (16066 views)

Should older dog be spayed? Hi, I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than... (11835 views)

Breeding and vaccines. I wanted to breed my female pitbull, but I have not yet given her the annual... (18428 views)

Dog can't move tail. My dog's tail is bent at the base and it is almost as if she can't move it. It seems... (13401 views)

Blood in stools. My dog has bright red blood in his stools. He is in good form, jumping around and... (11639 views)