Lethargic dog.

Breed: 1/2 Mastiff 1/2 Dutc
The last 3 days, Duke has become very lethargic, laying around and just sleeping. He is normally very active, always wanting to play and go outside. Now, I cannot get him to play at all, and he only wants to be outside as long as it takes him to pee, then he will run around for a few minutes, then askes to come back inside. Fetch and tug of war, his favorite two games, do not interest him at all right now. Also, he has a thick, heavy clear discharge coming from his nose, this has been present for 2 days. He has also been licking heavily, his legs, the couch whatever. I somewhat think this is due to his dripping nose however. Duke is 3 yo, and weighs 95 lbs. He normally eats little, we free feed him, but he does not seem to be off of his feed, and he is still drinking water. He is still going numbers 1 and 2 regularly and without problems. He has not thrown up. Thank you.

I'm sorry to hear that Duke is having these problems. I can think of a few things that could be causing these symptoms.

Has Duke been vaccinated? If not, in some areas distemper virus can affect dogs and cause nasal discharge and lethargy. Distemper can be very serious. However, if he is up to date on his vaccines then distemper is quite unlikely.

Another possibility is kennel cough. While this virus usually causes coughing sometimes just nasal discharge and a fever (causing the lethargy) can happen. Some dogs will get over kennel cough on their own. So, as long as he is eating ok it is probably ok to wait for another day or two.

A tooth infection could cause this as well. If an upper tooth root is infected this can cause a one sided nasal discharge. Unfortunately most infected teeth need to be removed.

While a nasal tumor could cause these symptoms it would be very unlikely in such a young dog.

A fungal infection in the nose is possible too.

If he is still eating well then you probably don't need to rush to the vet right away. However, if these symptoms persist another day or two then a vet visit is a good idea.
However, I always tell people to follow their gut. If you think something is really wrong then a trip to the vet's today is probably good.

Tumor behind eye. hi dr marie,enjoy your website and read all the dog related problems! my girl... (9641 views)

Take temperature orally? My dog is recovering from pretty serious surgery. I am supposed to be taking his... (29654 views)

Blind, deaf and no sense of smell. Jack was diagnosed as hyperthyroid in February and has been on methimazole since... (6402 views)

Itchy feet and nose. Hi, my dog started about 3 days ago with very itchy paws to the point that they are... (6975 views)

Conjunctivitis zoonotic? My dog has conjunctivitis, which he is being treated for and my friends daughter who... (12842 views)

Kitten is walking funny. Recently I have noticed that our new addition to the family has been walking... (12699 views)

Dog hurt her leg. hi my dog trixey is nearly 15.i think she may have hurt her leg because she can't... (5812 views)

Dogs ate chocolate and sugar. I have an 85 pound lab, an 8 pound mini dachshund and a 12 pound mini dachshund. We... (18611 views)

Sick Golden Dr., I try to keep this short: My kids golden, 7+ years old, got lyme like 3... (6320 views)

Dog has loose stools. I adopted Levi, a beautiful and terrific champion show dog in August. I have never... (12318 views)