Lethargic dog.

Breed: 1/2 Mastiff 1/2 Dutc
The last 3 days, Duke has become very lethargic, laying around and just sleeping. He is normally very active, always wanting to play and go outside. Now, I cannot get him to play at all, and he only wants to be outside as long as it takes him to pee, then he will run around for a few minutes, then askes to come back inside. Fetch and tug of war, his favorite two games, do not interest him at all right now. Also, he has a thick, heavy clear discharge coming from his nose, this has been present for 2 days. He has also been licking heavily, his legs, the couch whatever. I somewhat think this is due to his dripping nose however. Duke is 3 yo, and weighs 95 lbs. He normally eats little, we free feed him, but he does not seem to be off of his feed, and he is still drinking water. He is still going numbers 1 and 2 regularly and without problems. He has not thrown up. Thank you.

I'm sorry to hear that Duke is having these problems. I can think of a few things that could be causing these symptoms.

Has Duke been vaccinated? If not, in some areas distemper virus can affect dogs and cause nasal discharge and lethargy. Distemper can be very serious. However, if he is up to date on his vaccines then distemper is quite unlikely.

Another possibility is kennel cough. While this virus usually causes coughing sometimes just nasal discharge and a fever (causing the lethargy) can happen. Some dogs will get over kennel cough on their own. So, as long as he is eating ok it is probably ok to wait for another day or two.

A tooth infection could cause this as well. If an upper tooth root is infected this can cause a one sided nasal discharge. Unfortunately most infected teeth need to be removed.

While a nasal tumor could cause these symptoms it would be very unlikely in such a young dog.

A fungal infection in the nose is possible too.

If he is still eating well then you probably don't need to rush to the vet right away. However, if these symptoms persist another day or two then a vet visit is a good idea.
However, I always tell people to follow their gut. If you think something is really wrong then a trip to the vet's today is probably good.

Is ginger safe for dogs? I make dog biscuits to sell at craft shows and with xmas coming up sooner than we... (46372 views)

In pain after spay. Our dog got spayed 2 days ago and she still cries in pain quite a bit. I was... (12912 views)

Euthanize biting dog? My name is Meghan and I am going through a super tough situation and thought maybe... (9034 views)

Healthy cat died suddenly. Why did my cat die? I came home from work today to find that my cat had died. I... (30775 views)

Lentigo on a cat. Hi Dr. Marie... My 3.5 year old tortoiseshell cat has developed a black freckle... (23875 views)

Testicle tumor and incontinence. my 11 year old dog has a swollen testicle, (a friend told me it may be a tumor), he... (10592 views)

Can dogs get chlamydia? I recently found out that i had Chlamydia, my dog hank has a bad habit of getting... (46163 views)

Seizure episode. he just had a sesiure like episode where he was walking with me and just kinda... (8109 views)

Tapeworms in cat. I've been using drontal deworming xl tablets to treat my cat with tapeworms also... (9042 views)

Dog spinning and bothered My dog doesn't have flea's but acts like he is being bothered by something. He... (14044 views)