Lethargic dog.

Breed: 1/2 Mastiff 1/2 Dutc
The last 3 days, Duke has become very lethargic, laying around and just sleeping. He is normally very active, always wanting to play and go outside. Now, I cannot get him to play at all, and he only wants to be outside as long as it takes him to pee, then he will run around for a few minutes, then askes to come back inside. Fetch and tug of war, his favorite two games, do not interest him at all right now. Also, he has a thick, heavy clear discharge coming from his nose, this has been present for 2 days. He has also been licking heavily, his legs, the couch whatever. I somewhat think this is due to his dripping nose however. Duke is 3 yo, and weighs 95 lbs. He normally eats little, we free feed him, but he does not seem to be off of his feed, and he is still drinking water. He is still going numbers 1 and 2 regularly and without problems. He has not thrown up. Thank you.

I'm sorry to hear that Duke is having these problems. I can think of a few things that could be causing these symptoms.

Has Duke been vaccinated? If not, in some areas distemper virus can affect dogs and cause nasal discharge and lethargy. Distemper can be very serious. However, if he is up to date on his vaccines then distemper is quite unlikely.

Another possibility is kennel cough. While this virus usually causes coughing sometimes just nasal discharge and a fever (causing the lethargy) can happen. Some dogs will get over kennel cough on their own. So, as long as he is eating ok it is probably ok to wait for another day or two.

A tooth infection could cause this as well. If an upper tooth root is infected this can cause a one sided nasal discharge. Unfortunately most infected teeth need to be removed.

While a nasal tumor could cause these symptoms it would be very unlikely in such a young dog.

A fungal infection in the nose is possible too.

If he is still eating well then you probably don't need to rush to the vet right away. However, if these symptoms persist another day or two then a vet visit is a good idea.
However, I always tell people to follow their gut. If you think something is really wrong then a trip to the vet's today is probably good.

Crusty cat nipple. My 8 year old male cats nipple was hard and crusty. I pulled it and it came out and... (66131 views)

Hyperaldosteronism? My niece's 12 yr old cat vomits about every 6 days, gets dehydrated, listless and... (4694 views)

Breeding big and little dog. i have a year and a half old female jack russell/rat terrier cross that is in heat... (8323 views)

Dog's nails are breaking. My dog is about 10 years old and shows no signs of any illness. Recently, her nails... (8590 views)

Coughing kitten. I have a 6 wk old rescued kitten who in the past 2 days has developed a horrible... (13961 views)

Can't move back legs. I hope you reply quick my dog is dragging both of his back legs he cant stand up but... (19869 views)

Bladder stones again. Hi there My cat had 100% blockage of urethra in Sept 2009, and underwent PU... (11313 views)

PPA safety for dogs. Hi, Dr. Marie: I am writing a follow-up question from a few weeks ago regarding... (13601 views)

White tongue in a kitten. Kitten 6weeks old looks like a 4 week old. Sootie has a white tongue? Is it... (16329 views)

Possible demodectic mange. We live in Bangladesh an are unable to obtian decent vet care for my dog. I am... (39637 views)