Not eating, losing weight.

Breed: short hair calico
My cat has lost a lot of weight in the past 3 weeks. She cries for food but then doesnt eat it. She drinks water. She is lethargic. Is there anything I can do for her without taking her to the vet? I cannot afford alot on a vet bill. Can you tell me what you think might be wrong? This cat has been my therapy I suffer from severe depression, and she has afforded me affection. I love her so much, and so does my daughter. We would be devastated if we had to put her down. Thank-you very much.
Sincerely, Crystal

I'm very sorry to hear that your cat is having these problems.

Unfortunately by far the best and likely least expensive thing you can do is to get her to the vet as soon as possible.

With the symptoms of weight loss, not eating and lethargy, there really is nothing that could cause these symptoms that you can treat at home. There are some things that could cause these symptoms that can be treated relatively inexpensively if we catch them early enough. One example would be an infected cat bite or other type of wound.

If cats go more than a few days without eating they are at risk for getting a condition called fatty liver which is very serious.

I really hope that she improves soon.

Vomiting undigested food. I read in a magazine Woman's World about your service to give pet medical advice. My... (17938 views)

Dog licking anus after vaccines. The day after a routine vax appt with a new vet, our dog suddenly began licking her... (9966 views)

Balding legs Two month old Freddie was a rescue with mites. He went through the sulphur bath... (7657 views)

Lumps on dog's nose. Do you know what these bumps count be? He also has a bald spot under his eye. He is... (55173 views)

Cat died. Hit by car? My cat was found a few days ago under my neighbours car. He had been bleeding from... (24611 views)

Itchy on back. max is a 11yo. Boston terrier about 18pounds. He is in perfect health, according to... (8496 views)

Puppy with bald spots. Hello, Im concerned about my dog, she is only 4 months but she is barely growing... (7565 views)

Dog Won't Eat My dog won't eat at all,but he still drink(not much)..He wanna move but he can't... (22399 views)

Debris on cat's eye. Good afternoon! My cat seems to be having eye issues. 6 months ago I took her to... (11085 views)

Immune mediated disease. Our dog was taken to the vet on July 3rd after 2 days of lethargy and falling over... (15309 views)