Not eating, losing weight.

Breed: short hair calico
My cat has lost a lot of weight in the past 3 weeks. She cries for food but then doesnt eat it. She drinks water. She is lethargic. Is there anything I can do for her without taking her to the vet? I cannot afford alot on a vet bill. Can you tell me what you think might be wrong? This cat has been my therapy I suffer from severe depression, and she has afforded me affection. I love her so much, and so does my daughter. We would be devastated if we had to put her down. Thank-you very much.
Sincerely, Crystal

I'm very sorry to hear that your cat is having these problems.

Unfortunately by far the best and likely least expensive thing you can do is to get her to the vet as soon as possible.

With the symptoms of weight loss, not eating and lethargy, there really is nothing that could cause these symptoms that you can treat at home. There are some things that could cause these symptoms that can be treated relatively inexpensively if we catch them early enough. One example would be an infected cat bite or other type of wound.

If cats go more than a few days without eating they are at risk for getting a condition called fatty liver which is very serious.

I really hope that she improves soon.

Did I make the right decision? Hello, I guess my question isn't so much of a question but more of a plea for... (42398 views)

Rabbit thymoma? Okay. Hi. I'm very concerned about my bun. I have gone to the vet twice. The first... (19839 views)

Puppy not eating. Hello my 7 month old pup just recently started to eat less. This just started 2... (21798 views)

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (9377 views)

Not nursing, diarrhea. We have two mom cats with seven kittens each, one litter a week and a half older... (5138 views)

Puppy not gaining weight. my puppy is one month old and is not gaining any weight and is not active not eating... (9484 views)

Dog eats grass and vomits Hi Marie! My Germen Spitz(male) eats some grass while he is out and vomits.Avoids... (9612 views)

Fearful Sheltie. my dog is very nervous of new people and places. she is very nervous and can't focus... (9084 views)

Dog won't go downstairs. He is 5 years old, not less than 3 months. My pop up blocker wouldn't let me change... (22772 views)

Kitten with runny nose. my kitten has had a runny nose with bad sneezing for 4 weeks now, shes eatting,... (12339 views)