Not eating, losing weight.

Breed: short hair calico
My cat has lost a lot of weight in the past 3 weeks. She cries for food but then doesnt eat it. She drinks water. She is lethargic. Is there anything I can do for her without taking her to the vet? I cannot afford alot on a vet bill. Can you tell me what you think might be wrong? This cat has been my therapy I suffer from severe depression, and she has afforded me affection. I love her so much, and so does my daughter. We would be devastated if we had to put her down. Thank-you very much.
Sincerely, Crystal

I'm very sorry to hear that your cat is having these problems.

Unfortunately by far the best and likely least expensive thing you can do is to get her to the vet as soon as possible.

With the symptoms of weight loss, not eating and lethargy, there really is nothing that could cause these symptoms that you can treat at home. There are some things that could cause these symptoms that can be treated relatively inexpensively if we catch them early enough. One example would be an infected cat bite or other type of wound.

If cats go more than a few days without eating they are at risk for getting a condition called fatty liver which is very serious.

I really hope that she improves soon.

Dog toe xray. I took my dog Cooper to the vet last week and he believed he had a bone... (21019 views)

Is this a mouth tumor? Hi, Our cat has been doing poorly lately. She went for about a month eating once... (4006 views)

When to put down older dog. I know my dog is on the way out, she has cataracts, hearing is dim, legs are shaky,... (5807 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (16226 views)

Yellow skin and urine. My cat has been lethargic for about two weeks. Last week I noticed her Urine was... (11484 views)

Dog has a runny eye. Hi Marie! Aprox. 2 months ago, Hope's one eye started to water and run a clear... (20265 views)

Chin acne in cats. He's been on a cleansing agent and anti-biotic/steroid for 5 of 7 days for his acne... (6685 views)

Puppy died suddenly. I came home after being gone for 3 hours. We have baby Pomeranians 6 weeks old. They... (17994 views)

Slimy white stuff in urine. Last night my cat urinated on the couch. That's abnormal on it's own but, in... (27613 views)

Jack Russel skin problems. My Jack Russel has bad skin. Every now and again she gets really itchy and has bald... (15856 views)