Not eating, losing weight.

Breed: short hair calico
My cat has lost a lot of weight in the past 3 weeks. She cries for food but then doesnt eat it. She drinks water. She is lethargic. Is there anything I can do for her without taking her to the vet? I cannot afford alot on a vet bill. Can you tell me what you think might be wrong? This cat has been my therapy I suffer from severe depression, and she has afforded me affection. I love her so much, and so does my daughter. We would be devastated if we had to put her down. Thank-you very much.
Sincerely, Crystal

I'm very sorry to hear that your cat is having these problems.

Unfortunately by far the best and likely least expensive thing you can do is to get her to the vet as soon as possible.

With the symptoms of weight loss, not eating and lethargy, there really is nothing that could cause these symptoms that you can treat at home. There are some things that could cause these symptoms that can be treated relatively inexpensively if we catch them early enough. One example would be an infected cat bite or other type of wound.

If cats go more than a few days without eating they are at risk for getting a condition called fatty liver which is very serious.

I really hope that she improves soon.

Rare form hepatitis. I got Sadie in January this year. She is a rescue. She's been sick since February.... (4602 views)

Dog has a crooked tail. We have a pure bred Staffy 5 months old. Her tail curls right over her back and... (14799 views)

Questions about Feliway. Am interested in buying Feliway for scratching but need to know the ingredients.... (17807 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. My 12 pound maltese ate two fun sized baby ruths, a fun sized butterfinger, and one... (17207 views)

Urinating in the house. I have a 6 y.o. Bichon Frisé who should be house trained by now. In fact, he is... (16356 views)

Great Dane not eating. Dr. Marie, my dog molly just recently started not eating dog food or drinking and... (10691 views)

Stopped prednisolone suddenly. Hi Dr. Marie, My 2.5 year old cat, Pebbles, was diagnosed with pretty severe... (20637 views)

Infected spay incision? Puppy got spayed about 12 days ago and her incision was healing really quickly. Now,... (71742 views)

Dog weak slow and shaking. My dog has become not interest in anything and has become very weak and has very... (13965 views)

Roundworms. Cat has roundworms. bought otc piperzine for her. how long should it take to work?... (17261 views)