Not eating, losing weight.

Breed: short hair calico
My cat has lost a lot of weight in the past 3 weeks. She cries for food but then doesnt eat it. She drinks water. She is lethargic. Is there anything I can do for her without taking her to the vet? I cannot afford alot on a vet bill. Can you tell me what you think might be wrong? This cat has been my therapy I suffer from severe depression, and she has afforded me affection. I love her so much, and so does my daughter. We would be devastated if we had to put her down. Thank-you very much.
Sincerely, Crystal

I'm very sorry to hear that your cat is having these problems.

Unfortunately by far the best and likely least expensive thing you can do is to get her to the vet as soon as possible.

With the symptoms of weight loss, not eating and lethargy, there really is nothing that could cause these symptoms that you can treat at home. There are some things that could cause these symptoms that can be treated relatively inexpensively if we catch them early enough. One example would be an infected cat bite or other type of wound.

If cats go more than a few days without eating they are at risk for getting a condition called fatty liver which is very serious.

I really hope that she improves soon.

Cat pooping on floor. My cat doesn't poop in her litter box, so I put down rugs near her litter box and... (10649 views)

Not eating or using litter box. about 4 or 5 days ago my cat stopped eating and using the bethroom for about 2 days.... (13819 views)

Too young for euthanasia? Is there an age too young for... (5118 views)

Surgery or rest for CCL tear. Dear Dr. Marie, My dog often limping recently and i've brought her to see a vet in... (8720 views)

Feeding a cat with fatty liver. Hi Dr. Marie, I am in a bit of a muddy situation. My client changed vets for ONE of... (6866 views)

Cat licking his fur. Good evening, My 4 year old tuxedo cat has always been quite special (he meows... (12444 views)

Scabs on cat's back. For a couple of months now, I’ve noticed my cat has been trying to scratch her... (172814 views)

Cat with sore penis. I have a neutered male cat 5 years old. 4 months ago he was really sick, we took him... (18951 views)

Swollen oozing paw. Hello my dog Jack is 10 1/2 years old and he has a very yucky looking paw. It is... (31254 views)

Drooling and walking sideways. Last night Sadie started shaking really badly, drooling like crazy and when she... (10837 views)