Not eating, losing weight.

Breed: short hair calico
My cat has lost a lot of weight in the past 3 weeks. She cries for food but then doesnt eat it. She drinks water. She is lethargic. Is there anything I can do for her without taking her to the vet? I cannot afford alot on a vet bill. Can you tell me what you think might be wrong? This cat has been my therapy I suffer from severe depression, and she has afforded me affection. I love her so much, and so does my daughter. We would be devastated if we had to put her down. Thank-you very much.
Sincerely, Crystal

I'm very sorry to hear that your cat is having these problems.

Unfortunately by far the best and likely least expensive thing you can do is to get her to the vet as soon as possible.

With the symptoms of weight loss, not eating and lethargy, there really is nothing that could cause these symptoms that you can treat at home. There are some things that could cause these symptoms that can be treated relatively inexpensively if we catch them early enough. One example would be an infected cat bite or other type of wound.

If cats go more than a few days without eating they are at risk for getting a condition called fatty liver which is very serious.

I really hope that she improves soon.

Older cat missing litter box. My 18 year old male cat is getting into the liter box and urinating on the floor... (19082 views)

Urinating in house. Our cat Alice was involved in a fight in the garden with another cat. SHe had a sore... (13180 views)

Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas? Hi, I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was... (26031 views)

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (12486 views)

Guinea Pig heat cycle. my female guinea pig has a swollen vulva which is very red. this happens once every... (37923 views)

Paralyzed dog now walking Emma's back legs have been paralyzed for almost 6 weeks. I took her to the vet and... (11276 views)

Blood in stool. hi lucky just went poop outside and he did liquidy bright red blood iam not sure... (48398 views)

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (12277 views)

Chicken jerky treats making dog sick My 2 yr old Shizu/Poodle has been scratching and her water intake seems to have... (7852 views)

Stroke or brain tumor? I have been doing a lot of searching on the internet over the weekend and am glad... (13500 views)