Best ringworm treatment.

Breed: Oli - Persian and Mi
We adopted Milo (5 months) from a shelter 2 weeks ago. He has two patches where skin is missing and it looked like he scratched himself with his never been trimmed claws (which have since been trimmed).

Within the past two days, I have discovered ringworm patches on myself. It makes me think these patches on Milo are ringworm as well. Oli (20 months) is not showing any symptoms of ringworm.

I have an appointment with my vet in a few days for testing but I went ahead and googled medication for ringworm in cats. Since Oli is asymptomatic, would he be treated orally? I've read that griseofulvin is very aggressive and makes a cat sick with diarrhea and lethargy as well as the possibility of causing liver damage and don't want to put Oli through that if he doesn't need it.

What course of treatment would you recommend for Oli and Milo? I temporarily reside outside the US and want to be armed with as much information as I can before seeing the vet here.

Sorry to hear that you and your kitties are having these problems!

If you have been diagnosed with ringworm then there is a really high possibility that it came from Milo.

You may be interested in reading this question that I recently answered about ringworm treatments.

Griseofulvin is the drug that most vets will use to treat ringworm in cats. Most cats actually handle Griseovulfin well. Some do get some stomach upset though. While I don't recommend using Griseofulvin in an animal with liver disease, in a healthy animal it is very unlikely to cause liver problems.

There are some animals that can get bone marrow issues with griseofulvin though and this can be serious. But again, most cats do fine.

Itraconazole is another drug that is good to use for ringworm. This is the drug though that can sometimes cause liver problems (although it is not common). But, it tends to be one of the most effective drugs.

Another option is to use lyme sulfur dips. This product is like a shampoo. It smells absolutely horrible and it has to be used several times. But, often it will do the trick for ringworm.

Sometimes, if there is just a small area of ringworm we can treat with an over the counter cream called clotrimazole. But, if we do so we usually need to keep an elizabethan collar on the cat so that he does not lick at it.

Of course, the first thing your vet will do is determine whether this actually is ringworm. They will likely try to shine something called a Wood's lamp on the area. Sometimes this gives us a diagnosis right away. But, sometimes we need to send samples to the lab to get a diagnosis.

Hopefully it will be something simple like a bacterial infection and not ringworm!

Abscess on dog's neck. We have been keeping an eye on a hard lump on my boxers upper neck, by ear. It... (41823 views)

Dog ate sanitary pad About a month ago my dog got into the trash and chewed up some sanitary napkins. He ... (6173 views)

Jaundiced dog. Hi, I have an 8yr old female labrador that on the 30th December, 2013 evening... (15749 views)

Why did my dog die? I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping... (7909 views)

Cat with asthma. My cat sam is 9 yrs old. he weighs about 16 pounds. He has coughing spells about 3... (8343 views)

Underweight dog. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs, one of whom, Mushka (mixed breed), has been... (11425 views)

Limping cat. Hi, My calico cat has been limping for over 6 months, Rt paw. About 3 yrs ago she... (16380 views)

Yorkie having seizures. my dog has fits his back legs go stiff he then starts panting excessively his fur is... (9189 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and worried about my two cats. I know how to avoid... (5092 views)

low protein food My brother's cat, who is about 14 years old, recently got bloodwork done at the vet,... (8494 views)