Best ringworm treatment.

Breed: Oli - Persian and Mi
We adopted Milo (5 months) from a shelter 2 weeks ago. He has two patches where skin is missing and it looked like he scratched himself with his never been trimmed claws (which have since been trimmed).

Within the past two days, I have discovered ringworm patches on myself. It makes me think these patches on Milo are ringworm as well. Oli (20 months) is not showing any symptoms of ringworm.

I have an appointment with my vet in a few days for testing but I went ahead and googled medication for ringworm in cats. Since Oli is asymptomatic, would he be treated orally? I've read that griseofulvin is very aggressive and makes a cat sick with diarrhea and lethargy as well as the possibility of causing liver damage and don't want to put Oli through that if he doesn't need it.

What course of treatment would you recommend for Oli and Milo? I temporarily reside outside the US and want to be armed with as much information as I can before seeing the vet here.

Sorry to hear that you and your kitties are having these problems!

If you have been diagnosed with ringworm then there is a really high possibility that it came from Milo.

You may be interested in reading this question that I recently answered about ringworm treatments.

Griseofulvin is the drug that most vets will use to treat ringworm in cats. Most cats actually handle Griseovulfin well. Some do get some stomach upset though. While I don't recommend using Griseofulvin in an animal with liver disease, in a healthy animal it is very unlikely to cause liver problems.

There are some animals that can get bone marrow issues with griseofulvin though and this can be serious. But again, most cats do fine.

Itraconazole is another drug that is good to use for ringworm. This is the drug though that can sometimes cause liver problems (although it is not common). But, it tends to be one of the most effective drugs.

Another option is to use lyme sulfur dips. This product is like a shampoo. It smells absolutely horrible and it has to be used several times. But, often it will do the trick for ringworm.

Sometimes, if there is just a small area of ringworm we can treat with an over the counter cream called clotrimazole. But, if we do so we usually need to keep an elizabethan collar on the cat so that he does not lick at it.

Of course, the first thing your vet will do is determine whether this actually is ringworm. They will likely try to shine something called a Wood's lamp on the area. Sometimes this gives us a diagnosis right away. But, sometimes we need to send samples to the lab to get a diagnosis.

Hopefully it will be something simple like a bacterial infection and not ringworm!

Cat bitten by dog. My cat recently got bit by a dog. he has a huge hole on his left leg kind of toward... (6853 views)

Not eating and tired cat. My kitty is a very playful cat. Runs, jumps and cuddles all day long. He is looking... (51254 views)

Hair loss and black skin. my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now... (9983 views)

Anxious at night time. Okay, So this is a slightly weird question but it is one that is extremely... (33804 views)

Pancreatitis My dog had an exploratory Lap. done 3 days ago to rule out a foreign body. She had... (15591 views)

Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor Two years ago, Sheena was diagnosed with neurofibrosarcoma, or peripheral nerve... (13239 views)

All cats in house getting sick. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a household of 6, normally healthy cats. Lately, we have... (5214 views)

Dog ate toy. Yes, he's at it again. Last night, 9 pm, I bought him a toy penguine to chew on.... (115832 views)

Sunscreen for cats and dogs. My cat is a white cat and he loves to lounge in the sun. I was wondering if you... (14332 views)

Swollen eyelid. My dog had one lower eyelid swollen inside. I discover this after she had... (18148 views)