Mildly increased ALP.

Breed: miniature schnauzer
My dog's routine blood work shows an alkaline phosaphate level of 159. The vet is not worried and recommends re-testing in 6 months. I would like to know what I can do prevention-wise to keep her liver healthy. Something homeopathic like milk thistle or sam-e? Do you recommend this and at what dose. She is 18 lbs with no problems.

I would agree with your vet that at this point nothing needs to be done. An ALKP level of 159 is slightly higher than normal but absolutely nothing to worry about. There are a lot of perfectly healthy dogs that have a slightly high ALKP. I get more worried when I see numbers like 400 or 800 or more, but even then I don't get excited unless there are other symptoms or other liver enzymes that are elevated.

There really is no need to use any supplements at this point. However, I would agree that's it a good idea to retest either in 6 months, or sooner if you feel like something is not right. My guess is that everything will be just fine!

Watery eyes. Minnie's eyes are very watery, she can't seem to keep them open and her nose is... (12066 views)

Cat with asthma. My Abby was diagnosed with a respiratory problem similar to asthma and was... (9948 views)

Diarrhea and then death. My question is about the death of our Daisy Mae. We are staying in South Padre... (39643 views)

Dog's eye is closed. Hello, My dog was playing with his toy and shaking it around and when he was... (39458 views)

Problems after spay. Camie was fixed last Monday morning. We haven't been very irresponsible with... (12115 views)

Rat pees and poops on owner. I have a baby rat that poops and pies on me when she gets out of the... (11602 views)

Lethargic after Trifexis. Hello, Thank you for your help. My beagle, Daisy (25 lbs), ate her dose of... (29295 views)

Milk coming out nose. Hi my dog has just had pups 5 weeks ago an since day one, one of the puppies has... (29594 views)

Brewer's Yeast for fleas. Is brewers yeast and garlic a safe treatment for deterring fleas and ticks,... (20505 views)

Sore eye in a dog. Hi, My Yorkie's left eye is squinting; it looks like she can't open it. She has... (26734 views)