Mildly increased ALP.

Breed: miniature schnauzer
My dog's routine blood work shows an alkaline phosaphate level of 159. The vet is not worried and recommends re-testing in 6 months. I would like to know what I can do prevention-wise to keep her liver healthy. Something homeopathic like milk thistle or sam-e? Do you recommend this and at what dose. She is 18 lbs with no problems.

I would agree with your vet that at this point nothing needs to be done. An ALKP level of 159 is slightly higher than normal but absolutely nothing to worry about. There are a lot of perfectly healthy dogs that have a slightly high ALKP. I get more worried when I see numbers like 400 or 800 or more, but even then I don't get excited unless there are other symptoms or other liver enzymes that are elevated.

There really is no need to use any supplements at this point. However, I would agree that's it a good idea to retest either in 6 months, or sooner if you feel like something is not right. My guess is that everything will be just fine!

Fluid filled lumps on ear. My dog has many lumps on her ears that feel like they are fluid filled and sensitive... (10748 views)

Is this a flea problem? My small 3 year old in door cat very recently survived a bout with flea anemia. We... (9831 views)

Clear discharge from dog's nose. Hello, My 3 year old Golden Retriever has been blowing her nose--exactly how... (22124 views)

Hypothermic dog. Two days ago my black lab pup fell threw some ice, he was in the water for about 5... (9687 views)

Vomiting lethargic puppy. my dog is not wanting to eat at all and is just laying around she has vomited a few... (44037 views)

Snorted out vaccine. Hello Dr. Marie....Rianna had her booster for Bordatella first of October..she has... (9634 views)

Dog shaking and limping. Dear Dr: Since yesterday I see that my dog tires to go to the bathrooms and hide.... (11133 views)

Does dog saliva heal a wound? Is there any truth to the old wive's tale that when your dog instinctlively licks a... (8081 views)

Dog died suddenly. Please help me....My dog lucky (6) was found dead at the side of our house the other... (50938 views)

Dog having seizures. Hi Dr. Marie, My regular vet left to go on holiday today and after calling the... (15536 views)