Mildly increased ALP.

Breed: miniature schnauzer
My dog's routine blood work shows an alkaline phosaphate level of 159. The vet is not worried and recommends re-testing in 6 months. I would like to know what I can do prevention-wise to keep her liver healthy. Something homeopathic like milk thistle or sam-e? Do you recommend this and at what dose. She is 18 lbs with no problems.

I would agree with your vet that at this point nothing needs to be done. An ALKP level of 159 is slightly higher than normal but absolutely nothing to worry about. There are a lot of perfectly healthy dogs that have a slightly high ALKP. I get more worried when I see numbers like 400 or 800 or more, but even then I don't get excited unless there are other symptoms or other liver enzymes that are elevated.

There really is no need to use any supplements at this point. However, I would agree that's it a good idea to retest either in 6 months, or sooner if you feel like something is not right. My guess is that everything will be just fine!

Stuffed up dog. We are a foster home/rescue home for dogs. We brought in a new foster two weeks ago... (60389 views)

How to get cat to eat. I have a cat that developed anorexia. She lost so much weight that she developed... (5674 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (16722 views)

Bumps near mouth and chin. My cat has some bumps near his mouth and they are red and itchy. Do you know what... (16788 views)

KBr Side Effects? I read your answer about seeing severe side effects of KBR and would like your... (11587 views)

Child and dog have a virus. My puppy that is 9 weeks old has had all shot. Today he has terrible diarrhea and... (7231 views)

Guinea pig not eating. Hello, I have a 3 year old guinea pig who has stopped eating. Last week I... (7105 views)

Cat is hungry and has swollen tummy. Our cat seems to be hungry all the time, she is spayed, but we have just moved... (26764 views)

Coughing Dog. my dog is coffing all of a suden and hes haveing trouble breathing but hes acting as... (14659 views)

Gagging dog. Last night, my dog was in his crate for bed, when I heard him gag for the first... (94842 views)