Mildly increased ALP.

Breed: miniature schnauzer
My dog's routine blood work shows an alkaline phosaphate level of 159. The vet is not worried and recommends re-testing in 6 months. I would like to know what I can do prevention-wise to keep her liver healthy. Something homeopathic like milk thistle or sam-e? Do you recommend this and at what dose. She is 18 lbs with no problems.

I would agree with your vet that at this point nothing needs to be done. An ALKP level of 159 is slightly higher than normal but absolutely nothing to worry about. There are a lot of perfectly healthy dogs that have a slightly high ALKP. I get more worried when I see numbers like 400 or 800 or more, but even then I don't get excited unless there are other symptoms or other liver enzymes that are elevated.

There really is no need to use any supplements at this point. However, I would agree that's it a good idea to retest either in 6 months, or sooner if you feel like something is not right. My guess is that everything will be just fine!

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Not eating or drinking and is painful. My cat tink 3 yrs seems very poorly he hasn't eaten or drank for 2 days now is very... (3353 views)

4 year old cat not eating. My 4 year old cat, who normally is a great eater, isn't eating much at all. She... (4560 views)

Heartworm and MDR1 I rrecently had both dogs genotyped for MDR1 mutation and both are positive. Bella... (5017 views)

Diarrhea and large abdomen. My 5 yr old DSH has been acting weird for the last 2 days. He had foamy,watery... (6765 views)

Rimady and kidney disease. I took my dog to the vet because she yelped when I rubbed her belly above her... (5486 views)

Protein in urine. Hi, My Yorkie is 12 and had smelly pee starting in September 2010. I took a sample... (8658 views)

Clumsy,wobbly yorkiepoo. My son put my 11 month old yorkiepoo outside yesterday and he didn't let him back in... (11525 views)

Aggressive hamster. hello, i got a russian hamster yesterday and in the store and at home he was really... (7723 views)

Old dog vomiting. My dog has been throwing up food that she eats except soft stuff, she is old and she... (13200 views)

Dog's baby teeth not out. Hi Dr Marie, Happy Holidays to you. I have a question. I don't think this is a... (11633 views)