Mildly increased ALP.

Breed: miniature schnauzer
My dog's routine blood work shows an alkaline phosaphate level of 159. The vet is not worried and recommends re-testing in 6 months. I would like to know what I can do prevention-wise to keep her liver healthy. Something homeopathic like milk thistle or sam-e? Do you recommend this and at what dose. She is 18 lbs with no problems.

I would agree with your vet that at this point nothing needs to be done. An ALKP level of 159 is slightly higher than normal but absolutely nothing to worry about. There are a lot of perfectly healthy dogs that have a slightly high ALKP. I get more worried when I see numbers like 400 or 800 or more, but even then I don't get excited unless there are other symptoms or other liver enzymes that are elevated.

There really is no need to use any supplements at this point. However, I would agree that's it a good idea to retest either in 6 months, or sooner if you feel like something is not right. My guess is that everything will be just fine!

Is this distemper? I live in Mexico and I rescued Trinket when she was 8 to 10 weeks old. She had... (7057 views)

Green penile discharge. Hi, I have a 7 month old alaskan malamute. I have noticed that he has green... (12920 views)

Genetic defects in a puppy. my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny... (8507 views)

Addison's disease. I had almost the same experience as the person who wrote you about losing their dog... (13932 views)

Pit bull has bald patches. Hi, we have beeen to the vet three different times and he still breaking out and... (3291 views)

Slimy white stuff in urine. Last night my cat urinated on the couch. That's abnormal on it's own but, in... (21616 views)

Lentigo on a cat. Hi Dr. Marie... My 3.5 year old tortoiseshell cat has developed a black freckle... (15786 views)

Kitten nursing on my neck. why does my 8 to 10 month old kitty keep trying to suckle at my neck. He will not... (11252 views)

Dropped puppy on head. I have a 5 week old puppy, one of 6, he weighs less than 1 pound. My 2 year old... (29095 views)

Dog ate acorn Dear Dr. Marie: Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit... (86483 views)