Feral cat with eye infection.

Breed: Feral Cat
We have a feral cat that was born in our yard 5 years ago. When he was a kitten he contracted conjunctivitus.
We captured him an broght him to the vet, he was treated but it never fully cleared up. He is too old now to capture again because he would hurt himself in the trap. His eyes seem to be getting worse and we are at our wits end. Please, is there anything besides a topical medication for this type of infection. There is no way that he would let us apply any sort of cream or salve. He will come up to us but we cannot touch him. He eats here daily.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Rita Aloupis

Thanks for your question.

I have seen a number of cats who have upper respiratory and eye infections that just never clear up.

Unfortunately for the eye infections they need to be treated with medication placed in the eye.

One thing that should help reduce the symptoms is Lysine which is a supplement that helps the body fight against respiratory viruses. Most cats will take lysine in their food, so even if you can't catch this little guy you should be able to still get the medicine into him.

When a cat keeps getting conjunctivitis it often means that there is a virus in his system. Usually these viruses don't go. It is possible he has a herpes virus. This is not terribly serious but is annoying as it causes repeated eye infections. However, it's also possible that he has a more serious virus affecting the immune system such as FIV or feline leukemia. Unfortunately there is no cure for these viruses.

I wish I could give you another solution for the eye infection. I have tried using oral antibiotics in situations like this but they rarely help.

I hope the lysine helps.

Thank you very much for your quick response. We have bought the Lysine, however it is in tablet form which is 500mg each. Terry weighs about 10lbs. how much of the tablet should we give him a day.
Rita Aloupis

You're very welcome. I can't officially give dosing information online.

However, I can tell you that for the Lysine that I usually prescribe the dose is 250-500mg per cat twice daily.

There should be a label on yours that tells you how much to give.

Thank you for your past advise. I now have another question that is regarding another feral cat that has been with us since 1999. She seems to have developed an upper respiratory problem and we like to know the best way to treat it. We have treated this before, with the other ferals that we take care of, with an antibiotic that we get from our vet. Is there any other treatment and can we get it at a Pet store or online.
I'd also like to pay for this question but I'm not sure where to complete this transaction.

Just so you know, Dr. Marie has answered your new question here.

If you ever need to ask a new question, you can go here to ask your question.

Thank you,
Ask A Vet Question Staff.

Older cat problems. My cat is eating constantly. Every hour or two she cries at me to eat. And she's... (9853 views)

In heat cat spay. Dear Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed today (by laser). When I picked her up the vet... (13170 views)

vet question Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on... (8761 views)

Dropped puppy on head. I have a 5 week old puppy, one of 6, he weighs less than 1 pound. My 2 year old... (33663 views)

Recessed vulva I have a customer that claims the dog she bought from me has perivulvar pyoderma. ... (26856 views)

Diabetic cat problems. I have a diabetic cat who gets 4ml ProZinc 2x per day with meals. Normally she is... (6295 views)

Cat can't move tail or legs. My girlfriend's family saved a cat viciously attacked by dogs in the street in... (27540 views)

Reverse sneeze. My dog started making a weird nosie that sounds kind of like a pig but that seems to... (6320 views)

Mark on dog's nose. Hello! My dog is a Toy Fox Terrier (5 years old). He is a typical hyperactive toy... (4284 views)

Blood in urine after neuter. My dog was neutered 2 days ago. When he pees now there is small traces of blood in... (31493 views)