Feral cat with eye infection.

Breed: Feral Cat
We have a feral cat that was born in our yard 5 years ago. When he was a kitten he contracted conjunctivitus.
We captured him an broght him to the vet, he was treated but it never fully cleared up. He is too old now to capture again because he would hurt himself in the trap. His eyes seem to be getting worse and we are at our wits end. Please, is there anything besides a topical medication for this type of infection. There is no way that he would let us apply any sort of cream or salve. He will come up to us but we cannot touch him. He eats here daily.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Rita Aloupis

Thanks for your question.

I have seen a number of cats who have upper respiratory and eye infections that just never clear up.

Unfortunately for the eye infections they need to be treated with medication placed in the eye.

One thing that should help reduce the symptoms is Lysine which is a supplement that helps the body fight against respiratory viruses. Most cats will take lysine in their food, so even if you can't catch this little guy you should be able to still get the medicine into him.

When a cat keeps getting conjunctivitis it often means that there is a virus in his system. Usually these viruses don't go. It is possible he has a herpes virus. This is not terribly serious but is annoying as it causes repeated eye infections. However, it's also possible that he has a more serious virus affecting the immune system such as FIV or feline leukemia. Unfortunately there is no cure for these viruses.

I wish I could give you another solution for the eye infection. I have tried using oral antibiotics in situations like this but they rarely help.

I hope the lysine helps.

Thank you very much for your quick response. We have bought the Lysine, however it is in tablet form which is 500mg each. Terry weighs about 10lbs. how much of the tablet should we give him a day.
Rita Aloupis

You're very welcome. I can't officially give dosing information online.

However, I can tell you that for the Lysine that I usually prescribe the dose is 250-500mg per cat twice daily.

There should be a label on yours that tells you how much to give.

Thank you for your past advise. I now have another question that is regarding another feral cat that has been with us since 1999. She seems to have developed an upper respiratory problem and we like to know the best way to treat it. We have treated this before, with the other ferals that we take care of, with an antibiotic that we get from our vet. Is there any other treatment and can we get it at a Pet store or online.
I'd also like to pay for this question but I'm not sure where to complete this transaction.

Just so you know, Dr. Marie has answered your new question here.

If you ever need to ask a new question, you can go here to ask your question.

Thank you,
Ask A Vet Question Staff.

Is ketoconazole safe? Hi. My 6 y/o Papillon has suffered fron skin problems his whole life. I've been told... (4528 views)

Stop dogs from fighting. I have 2 female doxies, one beats up the other all the time. How can i control this?... (4920 views)

Long term effects from chicken jerky? Hello Marie, I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better... (5468 views)

Dog has warm ears. Is it normal for my dog to have warm ears? There is no discharge and the ears are... (84708 views)

Weight loss in cat. My cat use to be really overweight. About a year ago he started to get sick a lot... (7366 views)

mycoplasma felis respiratory infection Hi. I asked you a question previously about Indigo and I'd really like your... (32113 views)

Pimple on ear. My dog has a pimple on his ear. Its on the inside flap. It only bother him when i... (14049 views)

Yellow fluid from nose. Dr. Marie, My male pug, aged 10, stuck with a piece of apple last night (29/1), I... (5631 views)

Will removing an eye affect my dog? Sadly, our son's dog recently had a car accident and my lose one eye. He is still in... (7603 views)

Lump on dog's belly. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 5 year old Cocker Spaniel female - spayed when she was a... (15080 views)