Green discharge post whelping.

Breed: chihuahua
is it normal for my dog to have greenish pee and black clumps after she gave birth? also why does she have black diarrhea even though she didn't eat the placenta?

Congrats on your new puppies!

Most likely the green color and black clumps you are seeing in your dog's urine are discharge from her uterus and vagina after having birth. It is normal for a dog to pass some blood clots or have an unusual discharge for a few days after whelping.

However, if she is having trouble urinating (straining to pee, asking to go out often) then it is possible she has an infection in her urine and should see a vet.

It is not uncommon for a dog to have diarrhea after having puppies. If the diarrhea is black and tarry this could mean that she has some blood in her digestive tract. The blood could be from cleaning vaginal discharge. The other source of bleeding could be from a stomach ulcer but this is really not common after whelping.

As long as Princess is eating well and nursing the puppies well I wouldn't be too concerned. But, if you are uncertain then a vet visit is the best thing.

Black spot on Hamster's skin. my hamster has a black spot under his hair.should he have this?????????????. he is a... (17991 views)

Vomiting and not eating. My shepherd mix, Beanie, is 8 years old, weighs about 44 pounds, and has always been... (7579 views)

Prednisone and Tramadol for Neck Pain. Seymour is a 7-year old black neufy/mix, 110 lbs,very strong and energetic. The... (15677 views)

Bump in dog's mouth. My dog was taken for a walk her ball went under a car, she retreived her ball... (7599 views)

Sore neck Hi Dr. Marie, You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another... (4543 views)

Will dog with broken back recover? Hi Dr. Marie, Our dog pulled out of her collar and was hit by a vehicle Saturday... (40129 views)

Female dog humping. My female pit bull everyday, anytime I lay down on my couch or bed, she jumps up on... (8672 views)

Limping cat. We have an outside cat who is about 12 years old. Up until recently she has looked... (8041 views)

Best ear cleaner? i would like to know which solution is better to use, oti-clens or... (6053 views)

Accident in bed. Hi Dr. Marie, I am writing to you because Max (who normally sleeps in our bed at... (9461 views)