Green discharge post whelping.

Breed: chihuahua
is it normal for my dog to have greenish pee and black clumps after she gave birth? also why does she have black diarrhea even though she didn't eat the placenta?

Congrats on your new puppies!

Most likely the green color and black clumps you are seeing in your dog's urine are discharge from her uterus and vagina after having birth. It is normal for a dog to pass some blood clots or have an unusual discharge for a few days after whelping.

However, if she is having trouble urinating (straining to pee, asking to go out often) then it is possible she has an infection in her urine and should see a vet.

It is not uncommon for a dog to have diarrhea after having puppies. If the diarrhea is black and tarry this could mean that she has some blood in her digestive tract. The blood could be from cleaning vaginal discharge. The other source of bleeding could be from a stomach ulcer but this is really not common after whelping.

As long as Princess is eating well and nursing the puppies well I wouldn't be too concerned. But, if you are uncertain then a vet visit is the best thing.

Dog ate dark chocolate. My 12 pound maltese ate two fun sized baby ruths, a fun sized butterfinger, and one... (18504 views)

Cat losing clumps of fur Our beloved 9 yo old male cat Gretzkey is ripping his hair out in clumps. Our house... (43908 views)

Balding on legs and belly. My cat is bald on the back of her legs and losing hair on her belly as... (12558 views)

Swollen glands in neck. 7 year old corgie, swollen glands in neck, possible swelling in abdominal area near... (27002 views)

Rimadyl and Otomax. Hi, I have a two part question. The first is Rimadyl dosage for an older dog. My... (11205 views)

Blood in urine after bladder surgery Hello again Dr. Marie. My dog had bladder surgery on Monday. To make a long story... (21241 views)

Cryptosporidium and clostridium. I am hoping for confirmation that we are on the right track with treating our two 11... (20638 views)

Torn nail in cat. My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a... (13558 views)

Sneezing dog. My 1 year old Chihuahua has been sneezing and reverse sneezing for the last couple... (26646 views)

Cancer or infection? I recently had to put my dog to sleep after I found out he had cancer that had... (10923 views)