Green discharge post whelping.

Breed: chihuahua
is it normal for my dog to have greenish pee and black clumps after she gave birth? also why does she have black diarrhea even though she didn't eat the placenta?

Congrats on your new puppies!

Most likely the green color and black clumps you are seeing in your dog's urine are discharge from her uterus and vagina after having birth. It is normal for a dog to pass some blood clots or have an unusual discharge for a few days after whelping.

However, if she is having trouble urinating (straining to pee, asking to go out often) then it is possible she has an infection in her urine and should see a vet.

It is not uncommon for a dog to have diarrhea after having puppies. If the diarrhea is black and tarry this could mean that she has some blood in her digestive tract. The blood could be from cleaning vaginal discharge. The other source of bleeding could be from a stomach ulcer but this is really not common after whelping.

As long as Princess is eating well and nursing the puppies well I wouldn't be too concerned. But, if you are uncertain then a vet visit is the best thing.

Nutritional supplement for repeated fractures. I have a chihuahua who has broken the same leg three times in the last year. The... (10585 views)

Dog losing weight. my king charles is losing weight, ive tried al different kinds of wet and dry food... (8203 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My dog has eaten very little the last week and has thrown up almost every time. He... (10956 views)

Antibiotics for anal glands? Hi I have written before about our unique living situation. We are expats with... (8166 views)

Bloated abdomen in hamster. Hi....our pet hamster buddy is extremely bloated. We have had him for a year and a... (83799 views)

Increased thirst and urination. I have an 11 year old spayed female toy poodle. She has been drinking a lot of water... (24443 views)

Chattering jaw. my 2yr old lhasa apso could just be sitting and his jaw starts to shake non-stop for... (9678 views)

Pimples on dog's stomach. Your Question: Edit Question Our dog suddenly got little pimple-like lesions all... (37295 views)

Cut my dog's nail too short. Last night, we trimmed one of our dog's nails a little too close to the quick and... (193962 views)

Flea Allergy Hello Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by... (12718 views)