Green discharge post whelping.

Breed: chihuahua
is it normal for my dog to have greenish pee and black clumps after she gave birth? also why does she have black diarrhea even though she didn't eat the placenta?

Congrats on your new puppies!

Most likely the green color and black clumps you are seeing in your dog's urine are discharge from her uterus and vagina after having birth. It is normal for a dog to pass some blood clots or have an unusual discharge for a few days after whelping.

However, if she is having trouble urinating (straining to pee, asking to go out often) then it is possible she has an infection in her urine and should see a vet.

It is not uncommon for a dog to have diarrhea after having puppies. If the diarrhea is black and tarry this could mean that she has some blood in her digestive tract. The blood could be from cleaning vaginal discharge. The other source of bleeding could be from a stomach ulcer but this is really not common after whelping.

As long as Princess is eating well and nursing the puppies well I wouldn't be too concerned. But, if you are uncertain then a vet visit is the best thing.

Heartworm and MDR1 I rrecently had both dogs genotyped for MDR1 mutation and both are positive. Bella... (9228 views)

Cut my dog's nail too short. Last night, we trimmed one of our dog's nails a little too close to the quick and... (200945 views)

Arsenic in Rawhides? I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy... (8465 views)

Dog's face is swollen. my dog's face is swollen, her muzzle is swollen on both sides and very firm/hard... (132519 views)

Can we give benadryl for allergic reaction? My 9 month old boxer puppy has been stung by a bee or bees, we think in his mouth. ... (11906 views)

Can't walk, dehydrated puppy. My puppy is 3 months old. She was left at home with her dogsitter but was obviously... (17432 views)

Puppy won't eat. My daughter has a Blue Nose Pit 4 1/2 months old female she has a great appetite and... (16902 views)

Peeing on blankets. We adopted Ginger a year ago and it took some time to get her house trained. She now... (18942 views)

Sick after having puppies. My fathers hunting dog just had 6 puppies over a matter of 2 days, She is an old dog... (13398 views)

Dog licking at penis. Hi doc- Little background- Austin is 4- very active, outgoing. He has Addison's... (286511 views)