Green discharge post whelping.

Breed: chihuahua
is it normal for my dog to have greenish pee and black clumps after she gave birth? also why does she have black diarrhea even though she didn't eat the placenta?

Congrats on your new puppies!

Most likely the green color and black clumps you are seeing in your dog's urine are discharge from her uterus and vagina after having birth. It is normal for a dog to pass some blood clots or have an unusual discharge for a few days after whelping.

However, if she is having trouble urinating (straining to pee, asking to go out often) then it is possible she has an infection in her urine and should see a vet.

It is not uncommon for a dog to have diarrhea after having puppies. If the diarrhea is black and tarry this could mean that she has some blood in her digestive tract. The blood could be from cleaning vaginal discharge. The other source of bleeding could be from a stomach ulcer but this is really not common after whelping.

As long as Princess is eating well and nursing the puppies well I wouldn't be too concerned. But, if you are uncertain then a vet visit is the best thing.

Lentigo on a cat. Hi Dr. Marie... My 3.5 year old tortoiseshell cat has developed a black freckle... (25801 views)

Should I spay my older dog? Greetings, I have an 8 year old female shih tzu that never had any puppies,and... (20204 views)

Dog chewing feet. I was told that if your irishwolfhound chew his back paws this means a heart... (13359 views)

Megaesophagus in a puppy. I have a 7 week old lab/pit mix puppy who has been throwing up her food since we got... (10582 views)

Time for euthanasia? My 19 year old cat has been ill for some time. For many years I have had to help... (8423 views)

Does Hartz kill roundworms? well, this one time when I had a lab mix puppy that wasn't vetted or wormed or... (12390 views)

New hamster tips. Ok well im getting a hamster tomorrow and i had one a few years ago. a few years ago... (10595 views)

Kitten not pooping. Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4... (13400 views)

Dog is limping. Denaro has had a limp in his left front leg for about a month, it goes from a... (18272 views)

Why is cat urinating in the house? Hi Dr. Marie, Recently, my one cat Habibi has started urinating outside of the... (7489 views)