Hamster scabs and hair loss.

Breed: Dwarf Hamster
I have a dwarf hamster (it's white with red eyes, if that helps on the breed). It started losing fur on its belly and a red ear in March. It worse, so a couple of months ago I took it to the vet. They treated him for sartopic mites and i give him antibiotics for a staph infection. Neither has worked. He has lost all his fur on his belly, legs, by his ears and now is starting on his back. One eye stays a little swollen looking. We use paper bedding. Any other suggestions of what I can do for him? I called the vet, but they require another office visit, I already paid $100, I can't do another visit.... I have a picture but don't know how to add it here.
Kina

I'd love to see a photo before commenting. You can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com. Thanks!

Thanks for the photos. I've included the two best ones here:

hamster hair loss

hamster hair loss

How frustrating that you have done treatments for mange and antibiotics and he is still not getting better! I have some ideas for you, but unfortunately there is no easy/inexpensive way to get the the bottom of this problem.

The first thing I think of when I see a hamster like this is indeed mange. There are a couple of treatments including revolution (selamectin) which is what we often use as a heartworm/flea preventative on dogs and cats, or oral ivermectin. It sounds like you have tried one of these treatments. They usually do work well, although sometimes the treatment needs to be repeated every 2 weeks for 3 treatments.

The next possibility is a fungal infection. Unfortunately the only way to accurately know this is to send away samples for a fungal culture which is going to increase the cost. Antifungal medicines can help but again, can be expensive and can come with some side effects. Usually oral medicines have to be given (as opposed to creams).

It's also possible that George has a condition called Cushing's disease (more info here, but we usually see this in older hamsters. Plus we don't usually see as many scabs as it looks like George has.

And then, a bacterial infection is possible but really should have been successfully treated by now with the antibiotics.

It's worthwhile to give your vet a call. If you only did a single treatment for mange you could ask if they think you should repeat it. Otherwise, they may be willing to prescribe antifungal medicines....it is possible that they'll want to see him again before doing that though.

Scabs on cat's back. For a couple of months now, I’ve noticed my cat has been trying to scratch her... (173618 views)

Different pupil sizes in older cat. I recently noticed that my cat's irises don't match... one is opened wide, the other... (26693 views)

Cat struggling to breathe. It looks like my cat is struggling to breathe. I can see her chest moving up and... (12780 views)

Addison's disease. I had almost the same experience as the person who wrote you about losing their dog... (17961 views)

Hill's k/d for bladder stones Nigel developed kidney stones and had surgery to removed them and re-route the... (8461 views)

Vomiting Golden Retriever. I have a 8-year-old golden retriever that has been vomiting for the past 36 hours. ... (14737 views)

Swollen ear with pus. my dogs ear has suddenly become really swollen with what seems like puss it is very... (8442 views)

Do I have rabies? Hiii m rakesh..i was bitten by a dog when i was 18 years old. I dnt know that dog... (9190 views)

Mom misses puppies. Our boxer had 2 pups both died, she has taken on a stuffed animal replacement but is... (7809 views)

Cat not eating since new kitten arrived. My cat's behavior has changed quite a bit and won't eat. I will explain when he... (19475 views)