Hamster scabs and hair loss.

Breed: Dwarf Hamster
I have a dwarf hamster (it's white with red eyes, if that helps on the breed). It started losing fur on its belly and a red ear in March. It worse, so a couple of months ago I took it to the vet. They treated him for sartopic mites and i give him antibiotics for a staph infection. Neither has worked. He has lost all his fur on his belly, legs, by his ears and now is starting on his back. One eye stays a little swollen looking. We use paper bedding. Any other suggestions of what I can do for him? I called the vet, but they require another office visit, I already paid $100, I can't do another visit.... I have a picture but don't know how to add it here.
Kina

I'd love to see a photo before commenting. You can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com. Thanks!

Thanks for the photos. I've included the two best ones here:

hamster hair loss

hamster hair loss

How frustrating that you have done treatments for mange and antibiotics and he is still not getting better! I have some ideas for you, but unfortunately there is no easy/inexpensive way to get the the bottom of this problem.

The first thing I think of when I see a hamster like this is indeed mange. There are a couple of treatments including revolution (selamectin) which is what we often use as a heartworm/flea preventative on dogs and cats, or oral ivermectin. It sounds like you have tried one of these treatments. They usually do work well, although sometimes the treatment needs to be repeated every 2 weeks for 3 treatments.

The next possibility is a fungal infection. Unfortunately the only way to accurately know this is to send away samples for a fungal culture which is going to increase the cost. Antifungal medicines can help but again, can be expensive and can come with some side effects. Usually oral medicines have to be given (as opposed to creams).

It's also possible that George has a condition called Cushing's disease (more info here, but we usually see this in older hamsters. Plus we don't usually see as many scabs as it looks like George has.

And then, a bacterial infection is possible but really should have been successfully treated by now with the antibiotics.

It's worthwhile to give your vet a call. If you only did a single treatment for mange you could ask if they think you should repeat it. Otherwise, they may be willing to prescribe antifungal medicines....it is possible that they'll want to see him again before doing that though.

Jack Russel skin problems. My Jack Russel has bad skin. Every now and again she gets really itchy and has bald... (15773 views)

Calcification in the lungs. dog lung calcification Dear Dr.Mari, I hear some bad sounds whenever my dog... (6463 views)

How long is parvo contagious? i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put... (20652 views)

Mark on dog's nose. Hello! My dog is a Toy Fox Terrier (5 years old). He is a typical hyperactive toy... (4004 views)

Min Pin won't eat. My 2 year old (obese) miniature pinscher has been displaying very odd behavior.... (10795 views)

Mildly increased ALP. My dog's routine blood work shows an alkaline phosaphate level of 159. The vet is... (6733 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea every two weeks. I adopted my yorkiepoo from a local shelter in 12/2012. From that time until a few... (10412 views)

Good chew toys for dogs. Hi Dr, I have a 9 month old dog who is part Golden and part Canadian beaver. He... (14115 views)

Diarrhea with canned food. We have only had goliath for 5 months. all my other cats I would give them a little... (4836 views)

Cat with bone cancer. When I came home on 4th of JUly Toesy (inside cat)was limping and not using front... (11813 views)