Hamster scabs and hair loss.

Breed: Dwarf Hamster
I have a dwarf hamster (it's white with red eyes, if that helps on the breed). It started losing fur on its belly and a red ear in March. It worse, so a couple of months ago I took it to the vet. They treated him for sartopic mites and i give him antibiotics for a staph infection. Neither has worked. He has lost all his fur on his belly, legs, by his ears and now is starting on his back. One eye stays a little swollen looking. We use paper bedding. Any other suggestions of what I can do for him? I called the vet, but they require another office visit, I already paid $100, I can't do another visit.... I have a picture but don't know how to add it here.
Kina

I'd love to see a photo before commenting. You can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com. Thanks!

Thanks for the photos. I've included the two best ones here:

hamster hair loss

hamster hair loss

How frustrating that you have done treatments for mange and antibiotics and he is still not getting better! I have some ideas for you, but unfortunately there is no easy/inexpensive way to get the the bottom of this problem.

The first thing I think of when I see a hamster like this is indeed mange. There are a couple of treatments including revolution (selamectin) which is what we often use as a heartworm/flea preventative on dogs and cats, or oral ivermectin. It sounds like you have tried one of these treatments. They usually do work well, although sometimes the treatment needs to be repeated every 2 weeks for 3 treatments.

The next possibility is a fungal infection. Unfortunately the only way to accurately know this is to send away samples for a fungal culture which is going to increase the cost. Antifungal medicines can help but again, can be expensive and can come with some side effects. Usually oral medicines have to be given (as opposed to creams).

It's also possible that George has a condition called Cushing's disease (more info here, but we usually see this in older hamsters. Plus we don't usually see as many scabs as it looks like George has.

And then, a bacterial infection is possible but really should have been successfully treated by now with the antibiotics.

It's worthwhile to give your vet a call. If you only did a single treatment for mange you could ask if they think you should repeat it. Otherwise, they may be willing to prescribe antifungal medicines....it is possible that they'll want to see him again before doing that though.

Crusty sores on cat. I noticed Robin had a sore that seemed infected under the right side of his chin. I... (24945 views)

Lump on puppy's jaw. Hi, My puppy has a lump on her face at the side just below her eye, Its roughly... (11500 views)

Bumpy skin on back. My cat BonBon has a significant amount of dry, bumpy, itchy, red skin on her back... (9616 views)

Dog eats grass and vomits Hi Marie! My Germen Spitz(male) eats some grass while he is out and vomits.Avoids... (8388 views)

Rabbit thymoma? Okay. Hi. I'm very concerned about my bun. I have gone to the vet twice. The first... (17039 views)

Dog has wound under arm. I was wondering how I would go about dressing an area on my dog under her arm? It... (7563 views)

Repeated bouts of Giardia. Our 4 month old Boston terrier Gidget was diagnosed with giardia over 6 weeks ago.... (5368 views)

Urinating in house. Our cat Alice was involved in a fight in the garden with another cat. SHe had a sore... (9417 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (13667 views)

Coughing and sneezing dog. I have a three month old teacup Yorkie. He had a check up last week and got his... (25195 views)