Problems after anesthetic.

Breed: long hair domestic,
My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This made him need oxygen for more than 2 hours and he was panting. When he got home, he panted a little, then after getting on his favorite pillow, started to breathe better and relax, however he is still lethargic and will not eat or drink much. My important question is why the anesthia? How long will it take to get out of the anesthia? Will he eat and drink normally soon? Do you think he was given too much anthesthia? Please help. Thanks

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Kaniakas is not doing well. It sounds like the vet or vet staff had a hard time getting blood from him. I will commonly put an animal under a brief gas anesthetic in order to get blood. Often this is less stressful than wrestling with a cat who is struggling. However, I will always get an owner's approval before I do this. I also go over the risks involved. While most cats do just fine, if a cat has a pre-existing medical condition it can possibly make the cat worse.

The effects you are seeing now could very well be due to the anesthesia. How long these effects last depend on what type of anesthesia was used. If he was given a sedative injection first it can last for 12-24 hours. However, if it was simply gas anesthesia with no injections most cats are back to normal within an hour or two.

If he is still not eating after 24 hours then I would be concerned that there is something serious going on. One thing I would worry about would be if he is having a problem with his heart. Some cats can have a condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy which is a condition they can be born with. Cats that have this often can not have the condition diagnosed without an ultrasound. Then, if they go through a stressful situation (i.e. having blood taken) their heart can struggle. However, most cats that have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy will be much sicker (or possibly even die) than your cat sounds.

I think my biggest concern with this situation is that your vet did not ask your permission to do this.

I really hope Kaniakas is feeling better soon. If you have more concerns, you do not need to open a new question. You can simply hit the "reply to Dr. Marie" button and you will not be charged a new fee.

Thank you very much Dr. Marie, I appreciate your help.

First, I made the mistake of calling my cat Kaniakas, that is my last name, his name is Porkchop. Porkchop has always been very healthy until his stool was soft and he was tested, showing no parasites, so then they decided to draw blood because they could not determine anything else. I've had a vet (a while back) tell me that because of the nature of a manx having narrow behind, could cause this situation.

It has been more than 1 hour this was yesterday at 2:30 p.m., now it is 10:30 a.m. the next day, so obviously they gave him an injection which they also neglected to tell or any of the risks involved. Any suggestions. Thanks again, Betty Kaniakas

Again thank you Dr. Marie, but I forgot to tell you he was given a shor of prednisilone. Could any ill effects be from that? Also, two days prior to that he had xrays and his heart and lungs were perfect, as well as during the recovery of the antestic, his heart and lungs sounded totally normal to the two vets that were there, I made sure to ask. Thanks again, Betty Kaniakas

Sorry about the delay! It is a busy day here in the office. It is not uncommon for manx cats to have stool issues. However, often there is an underlying cause.

The bloodwork may give some clues. You may also want to ask your vet about inflammatory bowel disease.

It does not sound like he is having heart issues from what you have described. However it would be a good idea to call your vet and ask if they are concerned that Porkchop has not fully recovered.

Dog's stool a little loose. Dr Marie, Examining that bump around Max's nipples it appears to be less solid.... (4391 views)

Diarrhea question. My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a... (8092 views)

Vomiting while in heat. Is it normal for a female dog coming out of heat to be... (19222 views)

Conjunctivitis zoonotic? My dog has conjunctivitis, which he is being treated for and my friends daughter who... (13079 views)

Pancreatic enzymes. How do we handle a situation when we unexpectely temporaryly are without the... (7910 views)

Cat losing weight. My cat is only about 2 years, she is female. She recently got sick, she started off... (9160 views)

Wound on ear won't heal. My puppy accidentally scratched her inner ear, the wound scabbed over but now she... (15958 views)

Yorkie with diarrhea. Hello, I have a yorkshire terrier that 1 year old and weighs 5.5 pounds. He is a... (11093 views)

Cat can't put weight on leg. hi basil got away from me last night down near the woods he returned about 30 mins... (20409 views)

Sick after eating Iams ProHealth. My cat has been eating IAMS PROHEALTH and this morning he threw up 4 times and now... (9136 views)