Problems after anesthetic.

Breed: long hair domestic,
My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This made him need oxygen for more than 2 hours and he was panting. When he got home, he panted a little, then after getting on his favorite pillow, started to breathe better and relax, however he is still lethargic and will not eat or drink much. My important question is why the anesthia? How long will it take to get out of the anesthia? Will he eat and drink normally soon? Do you think he was given too much anthesthia? Please help. Thanks

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Kaniakas is not doing well. It sounds like the vet or vet staff had a hard time getting blood from him. I will commonly put an animal under a brief gas anesthetic in order to get blood. Often this is less stressful than wrestling with a cat who is struggling. However, I will always get an owner's approval before I do this. I also go over the risks involved. While most cats do just fine, if a cat has a pre-existing medical condition it can possibly make the cat worse.

The effects you are seeing now could very well be due to the anesthesia. How long these effects last depend on what type of anesthesia was used. If he was given a sedative injection first it can last for 12-24 hours. However, if it was simply gas anesthesia with no injections most cats are back to normal within an hour or two.

If he is still not eating after 24 hours then I would be concerned that there is something serious going on. One thing I would worry about would be if he is having a problem with his heart. Some cats can have a condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy which is a condition they can be born with. Cats that have this often can not have the condition diagnosed without an ultrasound. Then, if they go through a stressful situation (i.e. having blood taken) their heart can struggle. However, most cats that have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy will be much sicker (or possibly even die) than your cat sounds.

I think my biggest concern with this situation is that your vet did not ask your permission to do this.

I really hope Kaniakas is feeling better soon. If you have more concerns, you do not need to open a new question. You can simply hit the "reply to Dr. Marie" button and you will not be charged a new fee.

Thank you very much Dr. Marie, I appreciate your help.

First, I made the mistake of calling my cat Kaniakas, that is my last name, his name is Porkchop. Porkchop has always been very healthy until his stool was soft and he was tested, showing no parasites, so then they decided to draw blood because they could not determine anything else. I've had a vet (a while back) tell me that because of the nature of a manx having narrow behind, could cause this situation.

It has been more than 1 hour this was yesterday at 2:30 p.m., now it is 10:30 a.m. the next day, so obviously they gave him an injection which they also neglected to tell or any of the risks involved. Any suggestions. Thanks again, Betty Kaniakas

Again thank you Dr. Marie, but I forgot to tell you he was given a shor of prednisilone. Could any ill effects be from that? Also, two days prior to that he had xrays and his heart and lungs were perfect, as well as during the recovery of the antestic, his heart and lungs sounded totally normal to the two vets that were there, I made sure to ask. Thanks again, Betty Kaniakas

Sorry about the delay! It is a busy day here in the office. It is not uncommon for manx cats to have stool issues. However, often there is an underlying cause.

The bloodwork may give some clues. You may also want to ask your vet about inflammatory bowel disease.

It does not sound like he is having heart issues from what you have described. However it would be a good idea to call your vet and ask if they are concerned that Porkchop has not fully recovered.

Yellow liquid at tip of penis. Every once in a while (maybe twice a week) he will have a yellowish white dot of... (10101 views)

Kitten won't eat. my kitten won't eat but will drink water and he is sluggish and has had weight loss... (13341 views)

Swelling inside leg. I got my beagle from a beagle rescue, so I don't know too much about her background... (14408 views)

Hypothyroidism in Sheltie. Hi My dog had a thyroid test and the results came back as .8 which he said was low... (4476 views)

Parvo virus vaccine question. can dogs get parvo even if they are vaccinated?... (6899 views)

Lump on puppy's neck. Hello Dr. Marie I hope you could choose my question because i'm so worried about my... (9127 views)

Bite wound not healing. My dog was attacked on the weekend and had a puncture wound on her left shoulder.... (13762 views)

Tumor behind eye. hi dr marie,enjoy your website and read all the dog related problems! my girl... (6335 views)

Lump on dog's side. Bundy has developed a circular mark...1/2 inch in diameter...the fur has gone the... (13481 views)

Cat is always hungry and stealing food. hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4... (11037 views)