Allergic reaction.

Breed: pit bull terrier
Last night my dog went outside and came back in with a red, irritated mouth. Overnight, his face swelled up with more bumps, as well as on his legs. It looked like he was attacked by a gang of mosquitoes. He was so irritated and hot; he would only lay on the bathroom or kitchen floor. He drank a lot of water. I got him some antihistamine and he eventually went to sleep, and the hives went away. he is still puffy on his cheeks though. He keeps vomiting up his food. Speaking of food, I normally give him a mixture of his purina one and alpo chicken with veggies in gravy. last night I gave him beef with gravy, so I am unsure if that is what caused his allergic reaction. Anyways, for the most part he is still running, barking at birds, and begging, but he just cannot hold down food. I boiled him some chicken and rice; he will eat the chicken, but not the rice. When he eats the chicken, he vomits and wants to go outside to eat grass. What can I give him to eat? Is this normal for him to be passing whatever has made him sick? Should I give him some more antihistamine for his swelling?

Aw, poor Sheek. He sounds so uncomfortable.

Usually when we see an allergic reaction that causes facial swelling and bumps (hives), the culprit is not something that the dog has eaten. Usually the culprit is either a recent vaccination (like within 24 hours), or more commonly, an insect sting such as a bee or a wasp. This is likely what happened.

The antihistamine is a good idea. Dogs will take 1 mg per pound for Benadryl. And it can be repeated every 8 hours. Some dogs even need it for a couple of days.

It concerns me though that Sheek is vomiting. This really is not a normal thing to see this long after the initial allergic reaction. If he is vomiting everything that he eats then he may need to have an emergency visit tonight. If he just vomited once or twice then I would say to give him a 12 hour fast and follow that with small meals of boiled chicken and rice, but vomiting everything he eats sounds more serious.

There really isn't an over the counter drug that will stop the vomiting.

It's a tough call on what to do here but I really would advise that you have an emergency vet see him tonight. Alternatively, you could give another dose of Benadryl and if things haven't improved within 30-60 minutes then take him in.

He seems a little gassy too, because his vomit is mostly bubbles. I am in no way trying to endanger my pet, but I do not want to overblow the situation either if it is normal. You are saying that it is not normal for him to vomit, do you think something poisonous bit him or maybe the backyard has some kind of poison ivy or something?

I hear what you're saying. It's always a tough call to decide whether or not to take him to emergency.

It definitely does sound like an allergic reaction, mostly because he had the hives (bumps on his body). I have seen some dogs vomit within a few hours of an allergic reaction, but it's not common to see it 24 hours later as well.

I'm not thinking that this is a toxin. There are a few things that can cause vomiting of everything he eats, but I can't directly connect them to the allergic reaction.

It's a good thing that he is still acting bright and alert. I still would say that if he continues to vomit after another antihistamine then he will feel much better with injectable meds from the vet.

Thanks Dr. Marie,

I gave him the antihistamine this morning (around 7:30 a.m.), so I will try again, and I am hoping that he will get better tonight. I hear his stomach growling, and I know he wants to eat, is there something I can give him? Do you think it is best that I stay away from his usual mixed food?

I think it's not a bad idea to give him no food for the rest of tonight. Still give him small amounts of water though. Then, in the morning start with a small amount of food and see if he keeps that down. If not, then it's off to the vet for sure!

Yes, ma'am. Thanks for your help

You're very welcome! Feel free to reply back in the morning if he is still not well.

Very sick kitty. just found you, wish we had found you earlier. maybe kitty will still be with us... (6376 views)

Puppy has runny nose. Heavy clear drool vomited once this morning Oct 29th 2010 7am. Very wet nose no loss... (12143 views)

Home cooked diet for dog. I cook Tater ground sirloin, white rice and then mix in some canned no salt green... (5927 views)

Swelling by anus. King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked... (20804 views)

Dog has bone cancer. My dog has been limping for some time now. His toe has been diagnosed with Bone... (12138 views)

Large red spots on dog's stomach. When I got home from work today, my dog had several large red spots on his stomach.... (179743 views)

older cat with itchy ears. Dear Dr Marie: For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches... (11647 views)

Peeing in house. We live in a 2 story 5 bedroom house. I have a male 14 year old pure bred Ragdoll... (9320 views)

Cat peed on my bed. My neutered male cat has peed on my bed twice now. I've had him for almost a year... (8723 views)

Lump on jaw. OK...my cat has a lump on her neck/jaw. One vet has told me it was an... (27638 views)