Vet didn't ask my permission.

Breed: domestic tabby
I came home to find my beloved cat unable to stand (seemed drunken) and felt cooler to the touch i thought. He had made it to the other room and urinated while I was away. I rushed him to a vet and they masked hem because he was being mean, ( he was afraid) he is a sweet cat at home. I was not asked or did I sign anything to put him under in order to draw blood. He never came out of the anisthesia (spelled wrong),Did they do anything wrong??? I had asked to come back with him while they were supposedly checking him out, only to find they had a divice over his head and he was already asleep!!! No one asked me if they could do this!! Nor did I sign anything. The vet said it made it easier to work on them that way. After the mask came off, his breathing became less and less, until it finally stopped. Just a matter of a few minutes. I was heartsick at the time and not thinking clearly. They charged me almost 500.00 for about an hour and a half of whatever, but didnt ask me for any permission to treat or put to sleep. Help with your professional opinion. Thank You.. Keller

I'm very sorry to hear that your cat passed away.

This is a tough case to comment on without knowing all of the facts, but I'll give you a few of my thoughts.

If Stimpy was cool, not able to stand and wobbly then he may have been in heart failure. If the vets started to work on him and he was extremely aggressive and difficult to work with then it sounds like they made the decision that it would be safer for him to be sedated (anesthetized) rather than to struggle.

In an ideal situation, we should be getting written permission for every treatment that we do. However, if a situation is urgent then it is often better to focus on treating the cat rather than doing paperwork. I can only guess that this is what happened.

If you'd like to go deeper into the situation, then respond and I can ask you some more questions which will help me understand what happened.

However, it sounds like this was just a sad situation. The symptoms that you described are not good. It sounds like no matter what the diagnosis was he was not going to survive.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Do male cats go into heat? Hi, I recived a new male cat and I would like to know if exist a "tablett" or... (7181 views)

My dog is deaf. Almost total deaf within the last 3 months. 14 yr. old english pointer. Female. In... (6380 views)

Is it time to put her down? My dog has degenerative myelopathy and is having trouble getting up, moving around... (24070 views)

Aggressive hamster. hello, i got a russian hamster yesterday and in the store and at home he was really... (9015 views)

Time to put dog to sleep? My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost... (6782 views)

OTC sedation for cats. I just brought my two cats home from their dental cleaning and found out that they... (92268 views)

Seizure or heart problem? My sister is younger and home alone until tomorrow. She called me freaking out about... (12351 views)

Pain meds after spay? Is it necessary to purchase antibiotics and pain meds after a dog has been... (19544 views)

Dog urinating in house. hey my 5 year old staff has started urinating in the house she has never done this... (9605 views)

Vomiting foamy yellow stuff. My Yorki 8 Lb and was throwing up yellow foamy and almost puss like stuff 3 days ago... (17818 views)