Vet didn't ask my permission.

Breed: domestic tabby
I came home to find my beloved cat unable to stand (seemed drunken) and felt cooler to the touch i thought. He had made it to the other room and urinated while I was away. I rushed him to a vet and they masked hem because he was being mean, ( he was afraid) he is a sweet cat at home. I was not asked or did I sign anything to put him under in order to draw blood. He never came out of the anisthesia (spelled wrong),Did they do anything wrong??? I had asked to come back with him while they were supposedly checking him out, only to find they had a divice over his head and he was already asleep!!! No one asked me if they could do this!! Nor did I sign anything. The vet said it made it easier to work on them that way. After the mask came off, his breathing became less and less, until it finally stopped. Just a matter of a few minutes. I was heartsick at the time and not thinking clearly. They charged me almost 500.00 for about an hour and a half of whatever, but didnt ask me for any permission to treat or put to sleep. Help with your professional opinion. Thank You.. Keller

I'm very sorry to hear that your cat passed away.

This is a tough case to comment on without knowing all of the facts, but I'll give you a few of my thoughts.

If Stimpy was cool, not able to stand and wobbly then he may have been in heart failure. If the vets started to work on him and he was extremely aggressive and difficult to work with then it sounds like they made the decision that it would be safer for him to be sedated (anesthetized) rather than to struggle.

In an ideal situation, we should be getting written permission for every treatment that we do. However, if a situation is urgent then it is often better to focus on treating the cat rather than doing paperwork. I can only guess that this is what happened.

If you'd like to go deeper into the situation, then respond and I can ask you some more questions which will help me understand what happened.

However, it sounds like this was just a sad situation. The symptoms that you described are not good. It sounds like no matter what the diagnosis was he was not going to survive.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Did laundry soap cause seizures? two week ago my dog was covered in Laundry Detergent. My had it everywhere, even... (12954 views)

Black sore near anus. Hello Dr.Marie (I am SO grateful for you!), I have had my two dogs (same breeder)... (51663 views)

Bone cancer in leg. Hello My cat is 13 years old he was always a big cat and then became a big fat cat.... (19589 views)

Cat abscess not healing. About two weeks ago we took my cat to the vet, he has a abscess near his bottom, the... (14298 views)

Need spanish to be a vet? I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you... (14421 views)

Kitten was hit by a car. Hello. I would really appreciate if you could help with this situation. My kitten... (12244 views)

Yellow liquid at tip of penis. Every once in a while (maybe twice a week) he will have a yellowish white dot of... (24219 views)

Should I breed my dog? I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies... (6060 views)

GNRH implant I am asking about the GnRH implant to bring a dog into heat. MY FIRST MAIN... (16211 views)

Lipoma on a dog. Hi Dr. Laurie, You gave me such great advice on my cat Bobo, I'm writing about my... (8261 views)