Itchy mouth in a dog.

Breed: Female - Yellow Lab
For quite sometime now she has been experiencing something that is irritating her around her mouth. I can't rub it enough to satisfy the itch. I cover my hands with my sleeves and rub vigoriously back and forth on the outsides of her mouth. She tries rubbing it on the carpet and with her paws. She will seldom scratch it with her foot. She is on a senior's grain free food. She does seem to have developed allergies to certain foods as she has aged..eggs, beef, and grains (so I keep her away from those as much as possible). She very recently has started expereincing "enviromental" allergies for which I have her on bendryl. Its almost like its a 'yeast infection' around her mouth (at least thats what I can equate it too)....is there such a thing? There is no inflamation. Dakota did have her spleen removed last year as the result of a massive growth on it. But some of the irritation existed before that...it just seems to be getting worse as time goes on...and I feel so bad for her. She is 13.5 yrs old, active and healthy with a great appetite! Thank you for your time. :-)

Hi there and thanks for your question. This is a tough one to answer without seeing your dog but I am wondering if she may have something called a lip fold pyoderma. This is a skin infection on the sides of the mouth.

We often don't know the cause of these. While it is possible that allergies were the initial cause, I would not say that allergies are usually the cause.

Unfortunately most of these need a couple of weeks of oral antibiotics in order to go away so you may need to see your vet to get this cleared up.

In the meantime you can do your best to keep it clean, especially after she eats. You can use a damp cloth or another thing that works well is a baby wipe.

From experience though, these are usually very uncomfortable and almost always require prescription medications in order to go away.

I hope she does oK!

Clear discharge from eye. Hi there, My one year old cat has had a slight watery discharge from her left eye... (8164 views)

Why did my dog die? Hi, My dog died recently. She was 11 yr.s 9 mo.s old, about 55-60 lbs.,... (127773 views)

How much exercise for a puppy? Hi Dr Marie, I'm pleased to report Max is doing well.. changing from Iams to p/d... (6084 views)

Cat is very quiet. My cat is a neutered male who has just turned two years old. He is an indoor/outdoor... (14569 views)

Diabetic cat problems. I have a diabetic cat who gets 4ml ProZinc 2x per day with meals. Normally she is... (4228 views)

64 days pregnant. hello, I have a 1 1/2 year old Pomeranian half jack russel. I just found out she is... (12218 views)

Dog pees in the house. Woody has been peeing when I have gone to work in the bedroom. I take him out... (6141 views)

Stuffed up nose. Dear Vet, We have a 12 year old Australian Shepard, 80 pound male. He is not having... (6182 views)

Clindamycin overdose? I have been caring for Sox, a feral. Awhile back Sox started coughing on and off... (4494 views)

Bumpy skin on back. My cat BonBon has a significant amount of dry, bumpy, itchy, red skin on her back... (8037 views)