Itchy mouth in a dog.

Breed: Female - Yellow Lab
For quite sometime now she has been experiencing something that is irritating her around her mouth. I can't rub it enough to satisfy the itch. I cover my hands with my sleeves and rub vigoriously back and forth on the outsides of her mouth. She tries rubbing it on the carpet and with her paws. She will seldom scratch it with her foot. She is on a senior's grain free food. She does seem to have developed allergies to certain foods as she has aged..eggs, beef, and grains (so I keep her away from those as much as possible). She very recently has started expereincing "enviromental" allergies for which I have her on bendryl. Its almost like its a 'yeast infection' around her mouth (at least thats what I can equate it too)....is there such a thing? There is no inflamation. Dakota did have her spleen removed last year as the result of a massive growth on it. But some of the irritation existed before that...it just seems to be getting worse as time goes on...and I feel so bad for her. She is 13.5 yrs old, active and healthy with a great appetite! Thank you for your time. :-)

Hi there and thanks for your question. This is a tough one to answer without seeing your dog but I am wondering if she may have something called a lip fold pyoderma. This is a skin infection on the sides of the mouth.

We often don't know the cause of these. While it is possible that allergies were the initial cause, I would not say that allergies are usually the cause.

Unfortunately most of these need a couple of weeks of oral antibiotics in order to go away so you may need to see your vet to get this cleared up.

In the meantime you can do your best to keep it clean, especially after she eats. You can use a damp cloth or another thing that works well is a baby wipe.

From experience though, these are usually very uncomfortable and almost always require prescription medications in order to go away.

I hope she does oK!

Prednisone and Tramadol for Neck Pain. Seymour is a 7-year old black neufy/mix, 110 lbs,very strong and energetic. The... (10336 views)

Doesn't like s/d. My dog has bladder stones(a lot) and was put on Hills Prescription diet s/d Canine... (5339 views)

Diarrhea question. My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a... (5960 views)

Cancer or pyometra? My lab who was quite healthy up and until August started to show a dulling coat and... (8622 views)

Grief after dog's death. I need your help, please... for peace of mind so I can sleep and live with myself. ... (6140 views)

Cat is killing lizards. My cat keeps killing lizards that come inside the house. I have tryed spraying water... (10220 views)

Did air freshener kill my dog? hi. my dog, simon, a jack russell/poodle, died of kidney failure which was caused... (7957 views)

Corn in dog food. I have heard that corn is bad in dog food. Also that alfalfa, brewers yeast, and... (11980 views)

Cat doesn't want to move. My cats bio: July was infested with fleas. Took two months to totally rid them from... (3022 views)

Best ringworm treatment. We adopted Milo (5 months) from a shelter 2 weeks ago. He has two patches where skin... (8185 views)