Itchy mouth in a dog.

Breed: Female - Yellow Lab
For quite sometime now she has been experiencing something that is irritating her around her mouth. I can't rub it enough to satisfy the itch. I cover my hands with my sleeves and rub vigoriously back and forth on the outsides of her mouth. She tries rubbing it on the carpet and with her paws. She will seldom scratch it with her foot. She is on a senior's grain free food. She does seem to have developed allergies to certain foods as she has aged..eggs, beef, and grains (so I keep her away from those as much as possible). She very recently has started expereincing "enviromental" allergies for which I have her on bendryl. Its almost like its a 'yeast infection' around her mouth (at least thats what I can equate it too)....is there such a thing? There is no inflamation. Dakota did have her spleen removed last year as the result of a massive growth on it. But some of the irritation existed before that...it just seems to be getting worse as time goes on...and I feel so bad for her. She is 13.5 yrs old, active and healthy with a great appetite! Thank you for your time. :-)

Hi there and thanks for your question. This is a tough one to answer without seeing your dog but I am wondering if she may have something called a lip fold pyoderma. This is a skin infection on the sides of the mouth.

We often don't know the cause of these. While it is possible that allergies were the initial cause, I would not say that allergies are usually the cause.

Unfortunately most of these need a couple of weeks of oral antibiotics in order to go away so you may need to see your vet to get this cleared up.

In the meantime you can do your best to keep it clean, especially after she eats. You can use a damp cloth or another thing that works well is a baby wipe.

From experience though, these are usually very uncomfortable and almost always require prescription medications in order to go away.

I hope she does oK!

Bitten by copperhead snake. My mom's 14 week old puppy got bit by a snake. Didn't see the snake. What should... (9015 views)

Children's shampoo for dog? okay so my sister used a kids brand of shampoo for my new puppy who is 6 weeks old... (12921 views)

Orange urine in a dog. I have had Moe for two years. He is 17 years old now according to the vet. He... (7493 views)

Increase in dog's thirst and urination. My dog has been acting fuuny the past few nights he wakes me up 2-3 times a night to... (8834 views)

Shedding Akita. my akita is 14 months old and is lossing massive clumps of fur. he has new curse... (8174 views)

Can't move back legs. My cat could not get up using its back legs. Her front legs were working but she... (30207 views)

Is my cat in heat? i have a female cat who is 1 1/2 years old she isn't spayed and has gone in heat... (9132 views)

Submissive urination. Hey Dr.Marie my dog Mya is 1 year and a half but everytime someone picks her up she... (9483 views)

Testicles are swollen. Bingo was hit from behind by a car mon nite. He got several cuts on 1 side of face,... (15496 views)

Parvo? My English Mastiff started vomiting on Friday. By Saturday he had extremely watery... (13810 views)