Itchy mouth in a dog.

Breed: Female - Yellow Lab
For quite sometime now she has been experiencing something that is irritating her around her mouth. I can't rub it enough to satisfy the itch. I cover my hands with my sleeves and rub vigoriously back and forth on the outsides of her mouth. She tries rubbing it on the carpet and with her paws. She will seldom scratch it with her foot. She is on a senior's grain free food. She does seem to have developed allergies to certain foods as she has aged..eggs, beef, and grains (so I keep her away from those as much as possible). She very recently has started expereincing "enviromental" allergies for which I have her on bendryl. Its almost like its a 'yeast infection' around her mouth (at least thats what I can equate it too)....is there such a thing? There is no inflamation. Dakota did have her spleen removed last year as the result of a massive growth on it. But some of the irritation existed before that...it just seems to be getting worse as time goes on...and I feel so bad for her. She is 13.5 yrs old, active and healthy with a great appetite! Thank you for your time. :-)

Hi there and thanks for your question. This is a tough one to answer without seeing your dog but I am wondering if she may have something called a lip fold pyoderma. This is a skin infection on the sides of the mouth.

We often don't know the cause of these. While it is possible that allergies were the initial cause, I would not say that allergies are usually the cause.

Unfortunately most of these need a couple of weeks of oral antibiotics in order to go away so you may need to see your vet to get this cleared up.

In the meantime you can do your best to keep it clean, especially after she eats. You can use a damp cloth or another thing that works well is a baby wipe.

From experience though, these are usually very uncomfortable and almost always require prescription medications in order to go away.

I hope she does oK!

Mass on dog's cheek. My dog recently had a cotton ball size mass on her "cheek". Someone told me it was... (8333 views)

Rottweiler urinating frequently. my dog has getting let out all the time and and and recently she has been weeing... (5596 views)

Dog licks my nose. Hi, Luci was diagnosed with Lymphoma and also had 3 Mast Cell tumors removed back... (33826 views)

Puppy walking in circles. Cj ended. Up missing found him at the shelter his ears(normally lay down) are... (10576 views)

Bloated abdomen my dog has been severly bloated for five weeks, at first i thought he had just got... (10130 views)

Give thyroid medicine? Hi there, I live in a remote northern community and we do not have a vet here. My... (5111 views)

Epogen for cat with anemia. Hi Dr. Marie, I need a second opinion. My 19 year old male cat was recently... (6892 views)

Hamster too cold? hi! my hamster has been sleeping alot. she is usally up sometimes during the day and... (4945 views)

Lump on kitten's chest. Hi I have a kitten and he has developped a very hard lump on his chest, its on... (19529 views)

Dog with ear problem. Icleaned my dogs ears with a Q tip and may have hurt his ear drum. I cannot go to a... (9750 views)