Itchy mouth in a dog.

Breed: Female - Yellow Lab
For quite sometime now she has been experiencing something that is irritating her around her mouth. I can't rub it enough to satisfy the itch. I cover my hands with my sleeves and rub vigoriously back and forth on the outsides of her mouth. She tries rubbing it on the carpet and with her paws. She will seldom scratch it with her foot. She is on a senior's grain free food. She does seem to have developed allergies to certain foods as she has aged..eggs, beef, and grains (so I keep her away from those as much as possible). She very recently has started expereincing "enviromental" allergies for which I have her on bendryl. Its almost like its a 'yeast infection' around her mouth (at least thats what I can equate it too)....is there such a thing? There is no inflamation. Dakota did have her spleen removed last year as the result of a massive growth on it. But some of the irritation existed before that...it just seems to be getting worse as time goes on...and I feel so bad for her. She is 13.5 yrs old, active and healthy with a great appetite! Thank you for your time. :-)

Hi there and thanks for your question. This is a tough one to answer without seeing your dog but I am wondering if she may have something called a lip fold pyoderma. This is a skin infection on the sides of the mouth.

We often don't know the cause of these. While it is possible that allergies were the initial cause, I would not say that allergies are usually the cause.

Unfortunately most of these need a couple of weeks of oral antibiotics in order to go away so you may need to see your vet to get this cleared up.

In the meantime you can do your best to keep it clean, especially after she eats. You can use a damp cloth or another thing that works well is a baby wipe.

From experience though, these are usually very uncomfortable and almost always require prescription medications in order to go away.

I hope she does oK!

Not using litter box. For the past several months she has decided to stop using the litter box to poop in.... (9272 views)

Antibiotics for pyometra? my dog has pyometra what are the chances with survival after antibotic injection... (7437 views)

Can dogs drink tea? Can dogs drink tea? I have been told by quite a few people that it helps puppies to... (49627 views)

PU surgery on a cat? Hi Dr. Marie , I hope you can help me with my cat, Jack. He is 1 ½ years old and... (7607 views)

Can I get toxoplasmosis from my dog? I've caught my dog eating stray cat feces in my yard several times. I would then... (31361 views)

Blood in stools. My dog has bright red blood in his stools. He is in good form, jumping around and... (8992 views)

Cat constantly in heat. Hi, I have a cat, she is little less than 2 years old. She is always in heat like 1... (20084 views)

Non itchy bald spots. She has 3 bald spots on her head and 2-3 more around her body. Took her to the vet... (13332 views)

No bowel movement? Hi & thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if it is normal for my... (11723 views)

Bald spot on hamster. My dwarf hamster has a rather large bald spot above her left front leg. I noticed... (20314 views)