Chihuahua had a seizure.

Breed: chiuaua japenese chi
Hi , my daughter's dog is very tiny weighing just 3.8 lbs. Last night he was on my bed and accidently rolled off, he was making a wimpering noise and when I saw him it was like he was having a seizure his legs were rigit and his whole body was stiff , this lasted for about 2 minutes then he came to. He was a little quiet after that but within 10 minutes he was completely back to normal. My daughter told me that this happened to him when he was four months old he wiggled out of someones arms and fell on the floor with exact same symptoms. She had called the animal hospital and they said he probally knocked himself out and to keep an eye on him for concussion symptoms which he did not have. He does have an appointment to get neutered in two weeks. My question is why does he have these seizure type episodes when he falls down? do you think it is very serious? He seems absolutely normal after both falls he eats drinks plays . Just very worried about him he is just so tiny and I feel its not even safe to put him on a couch or bed. can a hit to his head cause these symptoms should I take him to the vet imediatly or wait till he goesin two weeks? These episodes have only happened with both falls. Thanks

Sorry to hear that Mickey had this scary incident. I have actually seen this happen in a few little dogs.

I am wondering if Mickey has an open fontanelle. Can you feel a soft spot (like on a baby) on the top of his head at all? Some chihuahuas can have this spot which makes them more prone to having a seizure if they fall and hit their head.

From what you have described it is unlikely that there is another issue to blame other than the bump on the head. If he was having seizures without having a fall first then I would wonder about things like a liver shunt but because these were brought on by a fall I really think it is just bad luck.

Unfortunately there isn't much that can be done to prevent this from happening again other than to try your best to keep him from high places.

As long as he seems bright and alert and is eating well I don't think you need to take him in right away.

I hope that helps and I hope he stays accident free in the future!

Thank you Dr. Marie that makes me feel a lot better but we will mention again to the vet when he goes in for neutering thanks again, Jennie

urinating in the house Dr. Marie, Isabella is a healthy 13 yr old female cat. For a short period we... (8474 views)

Puppy knuckling on back legs. Hi I have a pug who is 5 months old, he was fine until about 2 week ago. He started... (9184 views)

Hartz Ultra Guard for fleas? hello dr. marie, bear has fleas. i gave her a bath then treated her with hartz... (11736 views)

Lumps on dog's neck. My dog keeps getting small red lumps on his body especially over the back of his... (12865 views)

Pit bull puppy is sick. My dog was outside and I was callig her, bit she didn't come I went to look for her... (9819 views)

Itchy hamster. What happens if my hamster is licking itself a lot of scratching itself? Also, what... (26205 views)

Handling newborn kittens. Hello, My cat has recently had kittens. I think they are a day old. She had... (11216 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Buster was throwing up for over two weeks. I had him to an emergency pet hospital,... (25541 views)

Do dogs get gonorrhea? Hi Dr. Marie, I just got diagnosed with gonorrhea, which is devastating to me. I... (42362 views)

Stopped prednisolone suddenly. Hi Dr. Marie, My 2.5 year old cat, Pebbles, was diagnosed with pretty severe... (26902 views)