Chihuahua had a seizure.

Breed: chiuaua japenese chi
Hi , my daughter's dog is very tiny weighing just 3.8 lbs. Last night he was on my bed and accidently rolled off, he was making a wimpering noise and when I saw him it was like he was having a seizure his legs were rigit and his whole body was stiff , this lasted for about 2 minutes then he came to. He was a little quiet after that but within 10 minutes he was completely back to normal. My daughter told me that this happened to him when he was four months old he wiggled out of someones arms and fell on the floor with exact same symptoms. She had called the animal hospital and they said he probally knocked himself out and to keep an eye on him for concussion symptoms which he did not have. He does have an appointment to get neutered in two weeks. My question is why does he have these seizure type episodes when he falls down? do you think it is very serious? He seems absolutely normal after both falls he eats drinks plays . Just very worried about him he is just so tiny and I feel its not even safe to put him on a couch or bed. can a hit to his head cause these symptoms should I take him to the vet imediatly or wait till he goesin two weeks? These episodes have only happened with both falls. Thanks

Sorry to hear that Mickey had this scary incident. I have actually seen this happen in a few little dogs.

I am wondering if Mickey has an open fontanelle. Can you feel a soft spot (like on a baby) on the top of his head at all? Some chihuahuas can have this spot which makes them more prone to having a seizure if they fall and hit their head.

From what you have described it is unlikely that there is another issue to blame other than the bump on the head. If he was having seizures without having a fall first then I would wonder about things like a liver shunt but because these were brought on by a fall I really think it is just bad luck.

Unfortunately there isn't much that can be done to prevent this from happening again other than to try your best to keep him from high places.

As long as he seems bright and alert and is eating well I don't think you need to take him in right away.

I hope that helps and I hope he stays accident free in the future!

Thank you Dr. Marie that makes me feel a lot better but we will mention again to the vet when he goes in for neutering thanks again, Jennie

Dog has split her nail. my dog has a toe nail that is split. it is causing her alot of pain. what do we do... (8606 views)

Should dog with cancer be euthanized? Ben was diagnosed with a Grade III mast cell tumor last February. We had it... (16194 views)

Purple feces. Why is my dog's poop... (14612 views)

Scabby rash on belly and back. My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on... (19866 views)

Euthanized dog with megaesophagus. 3 days ago we had to put our dear dog Bailey to sleep:( he was diognosed with... (11636 views)

pain after root canal Had major teeth work performed about 3 months ago as we noticed her breath and she... (8018 views)

Balding legs Two month old Freddie was a rescue with mites. He went through the sulphur bath... (8439 views)

Male rabbits mounting. i have just got two babay rabbits that should be both 10 weeks old male and... (42689 views)

Penis comes out when poops. Our 13 weekd old sprocker spaniel's penis is popping out when he poos. This only... (24823 views)

Eye problem. Chances eyes are really red all the time and gets a bunch of eye snot I clean it out... (9190 views)