Chihuahua had a seizure.

Breed: chiuaua japenese chi
Hi , my daughter's dog is very tiny weighing just 3.8 lbs. Last night he was on my bed and accidently rolled off, he was making a wimpering noise and when I saw him it was like he was having a seizure his legs were rigit and his whole body was stiff , this lasted for about 2 minutes then he came to. He was a little quiet after that but within 10 minutes he was completely back to normal. My daughter told me that this happened to him when he was four months old he wiggled out of someones arms and fell on the floor with exact same symptoms. She had called the animal hospital and they said he probally knocked himself out and to keep an eye on him for concussion symptoms which he did not have. He does have an appointment to get neutered in two weeks. My question is why does he have these seizure type episodes when he falls down? do you think it is very serious? He seems absolutely normal after both falls he eats drinks plays . Just very worried about him he is just so tiny and I feel its not even safe to put him on a couch or bed. can a hit to his head cause these symptoms should I take him to the vet imediatly or wait till he goesin two weeks? These episodes have only happened with both falls. Thanks

Sorry to hear that Mickey had this scary incident. I have actually seen this happen in a few little dogs.

I am wondering if Mickey has an open fontanelle. Can you feel a soft spot (like on a baby) on the top of his head at all? Some chihuahuas can have this spot which makes them more prone to having a seizure if they fall and hit their head.

From what you have described it is unlikely that there is another issue to blame other than the bump on the head. If he was having seizures without having a fall first then I would wonder about things like a liver shunt but because these were brought on by a fall I really think it is just bad luck.

Unfortunately there isn't much that can be done to prevent this from happening again other than to try your best to keep him from high places.

As long as he seems bright and alert and is eating well I don't think you need to take him in right away.

I hope that helps and I hope he stays accident free in the future!

Thank you Dr. Marie that makes me feel a lot better but we will mention again to the vet when he goes in for neutering thanks again, Jennie

Green smelly teeth. Dweeb has greenish slime on her gums and pain when biting. I tried washing it out... (30256 views)

Dog coughing. We let our dog do her business in the backyard. However, we are currently in the... (47889 views)

Dog jealous over owner. My female dog is 2 years old. She's a black lab. She had puppies and my boyfriend... (19612 views)

Overdose of drontal. My 9 week old kitten had an anti inflammatory injection, her first vaccine and we... (31429 views)

Cat shaking after flea treatment. I accidentally treated my kitten with a store bought flea treatment meant for dogs... (28226 views)

Bleeding from penis won't stop. I have a british bulldog who began bleeding from his penis a week ago. Took him to... (40310 views)

Chicken fillets by Beefeaters. Dear Dr. Marie, I have a 10 y.o. Black and Tan Coonhound and he just loves... (12919 views)

Duck jerky making dogs sick? If chicken strips (jerky) might be a problem, what about duck? I have bags of both... (6406 views)

Basset Hound whining. My basset has seemed to be more whiny latley than usual. I felt around his joints... (8933 views)

Does my dog have cushing's? Hi Dr. Marie, I took my almost 10 y/o lab to the vet because she has been waking... (5578 views)