Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Chihuahua had a seizure.

Species: Dog
Breed: chiuaua japenese chi
Age: 6-12 months
Hi , my daughter's dog is very tiny weighing just 3.8 lbs. Last night he was on my bed and accidently rolled off, he was making a wimpering noise and when I saw him it was like he was having a seizure his legs were rigit and his whole body was stiff , this lasted for about 2 minutes then he came to. He was a little quiet after that but within 10 minutes he was completely back to normal. My daughter told me that this happened to him when he was four months old he wiggled out of someones arms and fell on the floor with exact same symptoms. She had called the animal hospital and they said he probally knocked himself out and to keep an eye on him for concussion symptoms which he did not have. He does have an appointment to get neutered in two weeks. My question is why does he have these seizure type episodes when he falls down? do you think it is very serious? He seems absolutely normal after both falls he eats drinks plays . Just very worried about him he is just so tiny and I feel its not even safe to put him on a couch or bed. can a hit to his head cause these symptoms should I take him to the vet imediatly or wait till he goesin two weeks? These episodes have only happened with both falls. Thanks


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Sorry to hear that Mickey had this scary incident. I have actually seen this happen in a few little dogs.

I am wondering if Mickey has an open fontanelle. Can you feel a soft spot (like on a baby) on the top of his head at all? Some chihuahuas can have this spot which makes them more prone to having a seizure if they fall and hit their head.

From what you have described it is unlikely that there is another issue to blame other than the bump on the head. If he was having seizures without having a fall first then I would wonder about things like a liver shunt but because these were brought on by a fall I really think it is just bad luck.

Unfortunately there isn't much that can be done to prevent this from happening again other than to try your best to keep him from high places.

As long as he seems bright and alert and is eating well I don't think you need to take him in right away.

I hope that helps and I hope he stays accident free in the future!

Dr. Marie


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Customer reply:

Thank you Dr. Marie that makes me feel a lot better but we will mention again to the vet when he goes in for neutering thanks again, Jennie



Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Urinating in her sleep. my dog has urinated in her sleep 3 times in the past few days the first time she was... (8242 views)

Tapeworms in cat. I've been using drontal deworming xl tablets to treat my cat with tapeworms also... (7011 views)

Dark sticky diarrhea. My 14yr old poodle has diarrhea and an upset stomach (he keeps eating grass in the... (13942 views)

Cat losing weight and vomiting. Sebastian was always a little overweight. Recently he has started losing weight,... (10902 views)

Clavaseptin and diarrhea. My puppy recently had to spend a night at the vet, we are pretty sure he just ate... (14760 views)

How much should a dog sleep? I am curious to know how much sleep is normal for an older dog. He is a small breed... (7681 views)

Dog ate chicken bones. PLese help me! My 8 year old American Golden just ate cooked chicken bones! What... (140447 views)

Can't put weight on his leg. my pit bull is shaking all over a refusing to put weight on his back leg what should... (27228 views)

Megaesophagus in a puppy. I have a 7 week old lab/pit mix puppy who has been throwing up her food since we got... (8771 views)

Constipated kittens. I am fostering 5 kittens. I think they are about 5 weeks old. They still cannot use... (8810 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.