Chihuahua had a seizure.

Breed: chiuaua japenese chi
Hi , my daughter's dog is very tiny weighing just 3.8 lbs. Last night he was on my bed and accidently rolled off, he was making a wimpering noise and when I saw him it was like he was having a seizure his legs were rigit and his whole body was stiff , this lasted for about 2 minutes then he came to. He was a little quiet after that but within 10 minutes he was completely back to normal. My daughter told me that this happened to him when he was four months old he wiggled out of someones arms and fell on the floor with exact same symptoms. She had called the animal hospital and they said he probally knocked himself out and to keep an eye on him for concussion symptoms which he did not have. He does have an appointment to get neutered in two weeks. My question is why does he have these seizure type episodes when he falls down? do you think it is very serious? He seems absolutely normal after both falls he eats drinks plays . Just very worried about him he is just so tiny and I feel its not even safe to put him on a couch or bed. can a hit to his head cause these symptoms should I take him to the vet imediatly or wait till he goesin two weeks? These episodes have only happened with both falls. Thanks

Sorry to hear that Mickey had this scary incident. I have actually seen this happen in a few little dogs.

I am wondering if Mickey has an open fontanelle. Can you feel a soft spot (like on a baby) on the top of his head at all? Some chihuahuas can have this spot which makes them more prone to having a seizure if they fall and hit their head.

From what you have described it is unlikely that there is another issue to blame other than the bump on the head. If he was having seizures without having a fall first then I would wonder about things like a liver shunt but because these were brought on by a fall I really think it is just bad luck.

Unfortunately there isn't much that can be done to prevent this from happening again other than to try your best to keep him from high places.

As long as he seems bright and alert and is eating well I don't think you need to take him in right away.

I hope that helps and I hope he stays accident free in the future!

Thank you Dr. Marie that makes me feel a lot better but we will mention again to the vet when he goes in for neutering thanks again, Jennie

Grapeseed extract and dogs. Grape seed extract listed on some chicken jerky treats from china when looking after... (10156 views)

Thirsty hamster my wee hamster is drinking a very lot of water l could fill her bottle up and she... (16300 views)

Spay a nursing cat? Our kitty gave birth to three kittens 10 days ago and is already in heat. Is it... (8435 views)

Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food. My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in... (15028 views)

Can dogs take human antibiotics? Can dogs take human antibiotics or triple creams for... (13308 views)

Suddenly disoriented. our approx 8 y/o schnauzer is partially blind and partially deaf(we adopted him a yr... (24865 views)

Tail tip injury. our dog is golden retriever 5 years old, he had happy tail and somehow cut the tip... (6615 views)

Paralyzed back legs. about a day ago,my dog stop using his bottom part of is body,like she paralyzed,and... (10772 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog has a hard time standing up from the sitting position. Occasionally, he will... (10906 views)

Chemical castration of dogs. What would be the benefits of Zinc neutering using Zinc Gluconate offered by Ark... (12118 views)