Restraint of dogs.

Breed: Daschund
Hi, I am currently filling out a university application for vet science at the university of Sydney and I need to write a 200 word reflective statement. In the statement I have to write about the discomfort caused to the dog and the benefits to the health and welfare of the animal when restraining a dog for an injection. Would you be able to give me some tips and advice in answering this question. Thank-you so much.

Hi and thanks for your question. I'll see whether I can help out or not...

Many dogs don't like to be restrained, but need to be, for everyone's safety. There are a few methods that can be used for restraint.

One common thing that we use is a muzzle. This really, in my opinion, does not cause discomfort to most dogs. However, I have heard of situations where a muzzle was left too long on a dog that was really struggling and the dog was unable to pant and ended up in respiratory distress. Fortunately this rarely happens.

The most common type of restraint would be manual restraint where a person holds the dog down. A trained person can usually do this without causing too much discomfort to the dog.

Another method of restraint is chemical, where drugs are used. There are many different types of medications that could be used. Most are extremely safe. However, any type of sedative in an older or sick animal could have negative side effects.

Hopefully that's the type of information that you need. I hope you do well with your application!

Cerenia and FIP. Holly was diagnosed with the Corona Virus when she was only a few months old. It... (9255 views)

Child and dog have a virus. My puppy that is 9 weeks old has had all shot. Today he has terrible diarrhea and... (7953 views)

Dog pooped red and black balls. My dog once threw up a screw and has been eating her poop. Recently I found red and... (15490 views)

Black widow spider bite. Hi, A good friend of mine woke up this morning and found her cat dead in her... (8700 views)

Lethargic after dentistry. Our 3 year old Sheltie was at our local vet yesterday for some shots and to get his... (37039 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi there, Ive recently found out I am pregnant (6 weeks) and wanted some advice... (15944 views)

Is my cat losing weight? My 15 year old male cat looks and feels like he has lost weight. However, his weight... (6698 views)

Can I use Trifexis now? The flea population is horrible in WV this year, like most of the eastern US. We... (14704 views)

Sick after neuter. On March 26, 2012 I took my two dogs and my friend’s dog to get spayed and... (17893 views)

Watery diarrhea. My cat has had consistent diarrhea and vomiting for some time. Her vet began... (6460 views)