Restraint of dogs.

Breed: Daschund
Hi, I am currently filling out a university application for vet science at the university of Sydney and I need to write a 200 word reflective statement. In the statement I have to write about the discomfort caused to the dog and the benefits to the health and welfare of the animal when restraining a dog for an injection. Would you be able to give me some tips and advice in answering this question. Thank-you so much.

Hi and thanks for your question. I'll see whether I can help out or not...

Many dogs don't like to be restrained, but need to be, for everyone's safety. There are a few methods that can be used for restraint.

One common thing that we use is a muzzle. This really, in my opinion, does not cause discomfort to most dogs. However, I have heard of situations where a muzzle was left too long on a dog that was really struggling and the dog was unable to pant and ended up in respiratory distress. Fortunately this rarely happens.

The most common type of restraint would be manual restraint where a person holds the dog down. A trained person can usually do this without causing too much discomfort to the dog.

Another method of restraint is chemical, where drugs are used. There are many different types of medications that could be used. Most are extremely safe. However, any type of sedative in an older or sick animal could have negative side effects.

Hopefully that's the type of information that you need. I hope you do well with your application!

Oozing boil on dog's paw. My dog has a sort of woozing boil on her paw and all around it there is hair loss... (11563 views)

Bleeding after biopsy. My dog has been diagnosed with Cancer(hemangiosarcoma). The tiny hole were we... (12271 views)

Stuck together - pregnant? Please help, my two dogs were stuck together today,I think she's pregnant. I'm... (12688 views)

Brown spot on lip of dog. Greetings, I have noticed that my cat has problem with her mouth. On the lower... (10572 views)

Brown spots and hair loss. Hi again Dr. Marie, My 6 year old Golden Retriever is itchy. I noticed that she... (15272 views)

Is my dog pregnant? hi i have mated my yorkshire terrier last thursday she mated for 20 minutes and tied... (13862 views)

Painful after grooming. My dog, Codey (6 yr old rescue cockapoo) went to the groomer yesterday to get... (16193 views)

Megaesophagus in a puppy. I have a 7 week old lab/pit mix puppy who has been throwing up her food since we got... (8233 views)

Puppy vomiting and not eating. my do seems to be sick she will not really eat and she has lost most of her energy... (13430 views)

Duck jerky making dogs sick? If chicken strips (jerky) might be a problem, what about duck? I have bags of both... (6321 views)