Restraint of dogs.

Breed: Daschund
Hi, I am currently filling out a university application for vet science at the university of Sydney and I need to write a 200 word reflective statement. In the statement I have to write about the discomfort caused to the dog and the benefits to the health and welfare of the animal when restraining a dog for an injection. Would you be able to give me some tips and advice in answering this question. Thank-you so much.

Hi and thanks for your question. I'll see whether I can help out or not...

Many dogs don't like to be restrained, but need to be, for everyone's safety. There are a few methods that can be used for restraint.

One common thing that we use is a muzzle. This really, in my opinion, does not cause discomfort to most dogs. However, I have heard of situations where a muzzle was left too long on a dog that was really struggling and the dog was unable to pant and ended up in respiratory distress. Fortunately this rarely happens.

The most common type of restraint would be manual restraint where a person holds the dog down. A trained person can usually do this without causing too much discomfort to the dog.

Another method of restraint is chemical, where drugs are used. There are many different types of medications that could be used. Most are extremely safe. However, any type of sedative in an older or sick animal could have negative side effects.

Hopefully that's the type of information that you need. I hope you do well with your application!

Do cats taste sweet? Dr. Marie, This is really more of a general question than a question about my pet... (21635 views)

Cat attacking his tail. my cat started attacking his tail sometimes making it bleed..we took him to the vet... (8905 views)

Dog pooping blood. My dog is pooping blood, but not pooping. Just blood coming out like she is... (14545 views)

Red sores on mouth. My dog has developed sores or bubbley looking things round her mouth. They get... (14670 views)

Cleansing diet for dogs? I've just heard about the Chinese dog treat scare, and I'm going to check all my... (5436 views)

Chicken fillets by Beefeaters. Dear Dr. Marie, I have a 10 y.o. Black and Tan Coonhound and he just loves... (13410 views)

Dog pees when excited. comit had surgery done to remove a hernia and the vets said it was of most good to... (10534 views)

Vomiting lethargic puppy. my dog is not wanting to eat at all and is just laying around she has vomited a few... (44059 views)

7 week old puppies have fleas. my puppy is getting eatin alive by fleas he is only 7 weeks old and is a very tiny... (9957 views)

Bitten by copperhead snake. My mom's 14 week old puppy got bit by a snake. Didn't see the snake. What should... (10041 views)