Restraint of dogs.

Breed: Daschund
Hi, I am currently filling out a university application for vet science at the university of Sydney and I need to write a 200 word reflective statement. In the statement I have to write about the discomfort caused to the dog and the benefits to the health and welfare of the animal when restraining a dog for an injection. Would you be able to give me some tips and advice in answering this question. Thank-you so much.

Hi and thanks for your question. I'll see whether I can help out or not...

Many dogs don't like to be restrained, but need to be, for everyone's safety. There are a few methods that can be used for restraint.

One common thing that we use is a muzzle. This really, in my opinion, does not cause discomfort to most dogs. However, I have heard of situations where a muzzle was left too long on a dog that was really struggling and the dog was unable to pant and ended up in respiratory distress. Fortunately this rarely happens.

The most common type of restraint would be manual restraint where a person holds the dog down. A trained person can usually do this without causing too much discomfort to the dog.

Another method of restraint is chemical, where drugs are used. There are many different types of medications that could be used. Most are extremely safe. However, any type of sedative in an older or sick animal could have negative side effects.

Hopefully that's the type of information that you need. I hope you do well with your application!

Watery diarrhea. My cat has had consistent diarrhea and vomiting for some time. Her vet began... (4800 views)

Kitten with white gums. My kitten is 8 weeks old she just wants to lay around she was playing with the other... (20544 views)

Cushings and cataracts. Our Little Jack Russell is 15 years old. He is blind from cataracts. And now the vet... (12436 views)

Gagging dog. Last night, my dog was in his crate for bed, when I heard him gag for the first... (88812 views)

Black spot on dog's chest. My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it... (29364 views)

Interstitial cystitis. My cat has had reoccurring Cystitis. She strains when going to the toilet,... (4994 views)

low protein food My brother's cat, who is about 14 years old, recently got bloodwork done at the vet,... (7713 views)

Repeated bouts of Giardia. Our 4 month old Boston terrier Gidget was diagnosed with giardia over 6 weeks ago.... (6142 views)

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (19159 views)

Crusty spots on hamsters. I recently got three baby dwarf hamsters from a friend. The smallest one Runt had a... (13508 views)