Restraint of dogs.

Breed: Daschund
Hi, I am currently filling out a university application for vet science at the university of Sydney and I need to write a 200 word reflective statement. In the statement I have to write about the discomfort caused to the dog and the benefits to the health and welfare of the animal when restraining a dog for an injection. Would you be able to give me some tips and advice in answering this question. Thank-you so much.

Hi and thanks for your question. I'll see whether I can help out or not...

Many dogs don't like to be restrained, but need to be, for everyone's safety. There are a few methods that can be used for restraint.

One common thing that we use is a muzzle. This really, in my opinion, does not cause discomfort to most dogs. However, I have heard of situations where a muzzle was left too long on a dog that was really struggling and the dog was unable to pant and ended up in respiratory distress. Fortunately this rarely happens.

The most common type of restraint would be manual restraint where a person holds the dog down. A trained person can usually do this without causing too much discomfort to the dog.

Another method of restraint is chemical, where drugs are used. There are many different types of medications that could be used. Most are extremely safe. However, any type of sedative in an older or sick animal could have negative side effects.

Hopefully that's the type of information that you need. I hope you do well with your application!

Dog won't walk. my dog has almost stoped walkin and jus crawls around,unless it like to get food of... (13682 views)

Is my dog hypothyroid? My bichon is obese. She weighs 35 lbs but is also taller than my other bichon who... (6702 views)

Roundworms and hookworms. How often do you find roundworms /hookworms in dogs is it rare of fairly... (4196 views)

Renal lymphoma? my cat just had dental surgery. After about a week I noticed she was still listless... (25131 views)

My dog won't eat. Hello i have a male 2 year old pitbull. He is an extremely picky eater when it comes... (14112 views)

Revolution and fleas my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated... (15165 views)

Cat aggressive with dog. Our household has 2 dogs, 2 indoor cats, 3 parakeets and 3 kids :). The cats and... (4918 views)

Quiet after dentistry. Good morning...this may be lengthy...sorry. Despite my cats advanced age of 17,... (5345 views)

Is my cat in heat? i have a female cat who is 1 1/2 years old she isn't spayed and has gone in heat... (9507 views)

Sick after having puppies. I have an important question about my dog. She had puppies 2 weeks ago and suddenly... (9879 views)