Bump on tail tip.

Breed: Rotti mix breed
I noticed a small bump near the very end of my dog's tail, about 1/2 inch wide. She keeps licking it causing it to be red and raw, although it was white and a little scaly when we first noticed it. I've found lots of information on bumps at the base of the tail, but nothing on the tip. Any idea what it could be? Might it go away on its own? Our vet is closed given the holiday weekend, so does it sound like something that can wait a few more days? It's been 5-6 days already, but it seems to be bothering her more and more. She's about to turn 3 years old.

Brandi

Thanks for your question. Is there any chance you could take a picture of what you are seeing on Emma's tail? If you can you can send it as a reply to the email you got telling you that I had responded to your question.

There are a number of things that can cause a bump at the tip of the tail. In a 3 year old dog it is very unlikely to be a cancerous tumor.

It's possible that Emma had a cut or some sort of a wound on her tail and now it has become infected. If this is the case she will probably need antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

Sometimes wounds at the end of the tail are hard to heal because every time she wags her tail or hits it on something it will get injured again!

It's also possible that it is a viral wart, although I have never seen one of these on the tail tip. These look like a cauliflower type of growth and are usually pink in color. Viral warts do go away on their own but can take a few weeks or months. Vets can prescribe an antibiotic called azithromycin that can clear up viral warts quickly.

I have seen some dogs get cysts on their tail as well. Sometimes these need surgery in order to go away.

While it does sound like Emma should see the vet, I don't think you need to rush in this weekend for an emergency visit. You may want to try to cover the tip of the tail so she is not bothering with it. One of the best ways to do this is to use a baby sock to put over the tip of the tail and then use either medical tape or duct tape to attach the sock to the tail.

Feel free to send a picture if you can!

Dog leaking urine. Good Evening. Charlot is a rescued dog so I do know his history prior to his new... (12570 views)

Dog has a bald patch over eye. Hello, I have a miniature Dashchund which is 5 mnths old and she is in perfect... (13728 views)

Seizure and diarrhea. Hi. My dog had a seizure this morning. her legs started shaking but she still had... (29609 views)

Runny eyes in a persian. Hi there I just recently got Chewey who is a extreme flat face persian and his eyes... (18355 views)

Should I breed my dog? I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies... (4454 views)

My dog ate goose poop. Dr, Max was walking in the park today and picked up what I believe was an old... (100332 views)

How to get guinea pig to gain weight. Hi! Remember me? Some days ago one of my friends gave me a guinea pig that she... (14169 views)

Vomiting lethargic puppy. my dog is not wanting to eat at all and is just laying around she has vomited a few... (43234 views)

Tramadol not working. He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on... (14808 views)

Aggressive cat. I have had 2 cats same amount of time. Julia has started hissing, growling, and... (8202 views)