Bump on tail tip.

Breed: Rotti mix breed
I noticed a small bump near the very end of my dog's tail, about 1/2 inch wide. She keeps licking it causing it to be red and raw, although it was white and a little scaly when we first noticed it. I've found lots of information on bumps at the base of the tail, but nothing on the tip. Any idea what it could be? Might it go away on its own? Our vet is closed given the holiday weekend, so does it sound like something that can wait a few more days? It's been 5-6 days already, but it seems to be bothering her more and more. She's about to turn 3 years old.

Brandi

Thanks for your question. Is there any chance you could take a picture of what you are seeing on Emma's tail? If you can you can send it as a reply to the email you got telling you that I had responded to your question.

There are a number of things that can cause a bump at the tip of the tail. In a 3 year old dog it is very unlikely to be a cancerous tumor.

It's possible that Emma had a cut or some sort of a wound on her tail and now it has become infected. If this is the case she will probably need antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

Sometimes wounds at the end of the tail are hard to heal because every time she wags her tail or hits it on something it will get injured again!

It's also possible that it is a viral wart, although I have never seen one of these on the tail tip. These look like a cauliflower type of growth and are usually pink in color. Viral warts do go away on their own but can take a few weeks or months. Vets can prescribe an antibiotic called azithromycin that can clear up viral warts quickly.

I have seen some dogs get cysts on their tail as well. Sometimes these need surgery in order to go away.

While it does sound like Emma should see the vet, I don't think you need to rush in this weekend for an emergency visit. You may want to try to cover the tip of the tail so she is not bothering with it. One of the best ways to do this is to use a baby sock to put over the tip of the tail and then use either medical tape or duct tape to attach the sock to the tail.

Feel free to send a picture if you can!

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (9967 views)

Dog has warm ears. Is it normal for my dog to have warm ears? There is no discharge and the ears are... (83479 views)

Bad for dog to eat paper? iv had Lexi 4 almost 6 months now, and she just loves to chew paper. i know she is... (34362 views)

Guinea pig scabs around mouth. My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took... (8169 views)

Is pinkeye contagious to pets? My husband just contracted pink eye. Is it possible for him to spread it to our dog... (27603 views)

Hypothyroidism? We have a 101 lbs. 7-year-old purebred Chocolate lab that has small to medium... (4083 views)

Leaking urine on bed. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog has had bladder problems since she was a puppy. She will... (4485 views)

Do sheep die on their backs? Hi, there. We have been having a debate about a sheep we saw in the field behind... (64362 views)

Surgery on 14 year old dog. Chyna has in the past few months developed a mass or cluster of lumps that are dark... (10673 views)

Dog ate M&M's. My 20 pound dachsund just ate a pack of M&M chocolate!!! Will he die? PLEASE... (39613 views)