Bump on tail tip.

Breed: Rotti mix breed
I noticed a small bump near the very end of my dog's tail, about 1/2 inch wide. She keeps licking it causing it to be red and raw, although it was white and a little scaly when we first noticed it. I've found lots of information on bumps at the base of the tail, but nothing on the tip. Any idea what it could be? Might it go away on its own? Our vet is closed given the holiday weekend, so does it sound like something that can wait a few more days? It's been 5-6 days already, but it seems to be bothering her more and more. She's about to turn 3 years old.

Brandi

Thanks for your question. Is there any chance you could take a picture of what you are seeing on Emma's tail? If you can you can send it as a reply to the email you got telling you that I had responded to your question.

There are a number of things that can cause a bump at the tip of the tail. In a 3 year old dog it is very unlikely to be a cancerous tumor.

It's possible that Emma had a cut or some sort of a wound on her tail and now it has become infected. If this is the case she will probably need antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

Sometimes wounds at the end of the tail are hard to heal because every time she wags her tail or hits it on something it will get injured again!

It's also possible that it is a viral wart, although I have never seen one of these on the tail tip. These look like a cauliflower type of growth and are usually pink in color. Viral warts do go away on their own but can take a few weeks or months. Vets can prescribe an antibiotic called azithromycin that can clear up viral warts quickly.

I have seen some dogs get cysts on their tail as well. Sometimes these need surgery in order to go away.

While it does sound like Emma should see the vet, I don't think you need to rush in this weekend for an emergency visit. You may want to try to cover the tip of the tail so she is not bothering with it. One of the best ways to do this is to use a baby sock to put over the tip of the tail and then use either medical tape or duct tape to attach the sock to the tail.

Feel free to send a picture if you can!

Kittens not eating or nursing My cat had 5 kittens 5 weeks ago. Recently, she has stopped feeding them and taking... (12997 views)

Two kittens limping. Yesterday my two indoor 6 month old cats started limping and favoring their dominant... (6420 views)

Yorkie not eating much food. My yorkie-poo rarely eats. He is currently eating instinct. He eats about 1/2 cup... (6662 views)

Vomiting Dog. I contacted you about Little White Dog on April 24. She had had an exploratory to... (19369 views)

Rapid weight loss. Hello Dr. Marie, First I have to sadly say that I can not afford a vet visit for... (5682 views)

Pit bull puppy is sick. My dog was outside and I was callig her, bit she didn't come I went to look for her... (8616 views)

Large lymph nodes. I spoke with you on sunday night about my shih tzu., I brought him to the vet on... (23405 views)

Itchy by tail Dr. Marie, my dog always kind of chews/bites/scratches under the right side of his... (6943 views)

Infection after cherry eye surgery? Chewy had successful cherry eye surgery about 3 months ago. Vet has closed. I... (15000 views)

Bladder surgery? How painful/stressful is bladder surgery for a fearful barn cat? A few days ago I... (17746 views)