Bump on tail tip.

Breed: Rotti mix breed
I noticed a small bump near the very end of my dog's tail, about 1/2 inch wide. She keeps licking it causing it to be red and raw, although it was white and a little scaly when we first noticed it. I've found lots of information on bumps at the base of the tail, but nothing on the tip. Any idea what it could be? Might it go away on its own? Our vet is closed given the holiday weekend, so does it sound like something that can wait a few more days? It's been 5-6 days already, but it seems to be bothering her more and more. She's about to turn 3 years old.

Brandi

Thanks for your question. Is there any chance you could take a picture of what you are seeing on Emma's tail? If you can you can send it as a reply to the email you got telling you that I had responded to your question.

There are a number of things that can cause a bump at the tip of the tail. In a 3 year old dog it is very unlikely to be a cancerous tumor.

It's possible that Emma had a cut or some sort of a wound on her tail and now it has become infected. If this is the case she will probably need antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

Sometimes wounds at the end of the tail are hard to heal because every time she wags her tail or hits it on something it will get injured again!

It's also possible that it is a viral wart, although I have never seen one of these on the tail tip. These look like a cauliflower type of growth and are usually pink in color. Viral warts do go away on their own but can take a few weeks or months. Vets can prescribe an antibiotic called azithromycin that can clear up viral warts quickly.

I have seen some dogs get cysts on their tail as well. Sometimes these need surgery in order to go away.

While it does sound like Emma should see the vet, I don't think you need to rush in this weekend for an emergency visit. You may want to try to cover the tip of the tail so she is not bothering with it. One of the best ways to do this is to use a baby sock to put over the tip of the tail and then use either medical tape or duct tape to attach the sock to the tail.

Feel free to send a picture if you can!

Best flea preventive for cats. Bella is an indoor/outdoor cat; free to roam during the day, but we keep her in at... (5999 views)

Puppy ate Imodium We think our 11-week-old puppy ate an Imodium. He weighs 6.5 pounds. Do we need to... (26404 views)

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (33334 views)

Spinning on bum. my 8yr old female jack russell sits down and puts her head in the air and spins... (48126 views)

Itchy smelly dark skin. Good day! I am Arby Bautista from Laguna, Philippines. I searched the internet... (6836 views)

Large mammary lump. Hi Dr Marie My dog Jenna is 13. Lately i have been aware that she has developed a... (10065 views)

Coughing cat. i have a indoor cat - about 10 years old... she had been staying in our... (12514 views)

Dog licking at penis. Hi doc- Little background- Austin is 4- very active, outgoing. He has Addison's... (278871 views)

Paralyzed dog now walking Emma's back legs have been paralyzed for almost 6 weeks. I took her to the vet and... (9970 views)

Repair hernia now? My pitbull puppy has an umbilical hernia, about the size of a half dollar. She shows... (7861 views)