Very thirsty kitten.

Breed: domestic
Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl this morning, at first he was a bit lethargic and just wanted to sleep, but hes a bit more playfull now but constantly drinking. he has urinated once this morning in his litter tray, and does not seem interested in his dry food. he is due at vets today for his vaccination.

Hi and thanks for your question.

I have to apologize that I left my online status on when I went to bed last night! Sorry that you did not get a reply right away.

I do get very concerned when a cat is drinking a lot. Your vet will likely want to do some tests on him.

If a cat starts to do this all of a sudden then the first thing I think of is ingestion of some type of toxin. An example would be a toxic houseplant such as some types of lilies. If this is the case many cats can be saved by hospitalizing them and putting them on IV fluids but unfortunately sometimes it can be fatal.

Some cats can be born with kidneys that do not work properly. It is possible that habibbi is going into kidney failure because of a congenital kidney disease but this is quite uncommon.

I have seen some cats that drink a lot because of a new salty food, but it shouldn't be constant like this.

Your vet will do some blood and urine tests and help us to determine how serious this is.

I really hope habibbi is ok!

Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas? Hi, I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was... (20855 views)

Stomatitis and FIV. my cat has stomatitus and fiv. i hate to give her up but she may be suffering and i... (12436 views)

Dose of interceptor? I have a new puppy... he's 8 weeks old and weighs 4.6 lbs. I live in Florida which... (10643 views)

Why is my dog limping? hello we have just woke up this morning and found my american bulldog limping on his... (38528 views)

Gave meds to early. Hi Dr. Marie, We are away from home this weekend and our pet sitter came early... (9466 views)

Chicken fillets by Beefeaters. Dear Dr. Marie, I have a 10 y.o. Black and Tan Coonhound and he just loves... (12541 views)

Dog's urine smells unusual. A few days ago I noticed that my dog's urine smells a bit strong. I can't really... (132723 views)

Dental problems in 20 year old cat. My cat Jack, who is 20 yrs old and has a predominant heart murmur and obviously a... (12357 views)

Trifexis overdose. My dog ate 4 tablets of Trifexis today. He seems a little quieter than usual. ... (61301 views)

Fishy smelling urine. Hi - my dog Bluebell has had a fishy smell to her urine for quite some time and... (28164 views)