Very thirsty kitten.

Breed: domestic
Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl this morning, at first he was a bit lethargic and just wanted to sleep, but hes a bit more playfull now but constantly drinking. he has urinated once this morning in his litter tray, and does not seem interested in his dry food. he is due at vets today for his vaccination.

Hi and thanks for your question.

I have to apologize that I left my online status on when I went to bed last night! Sorry that you did not get a reply right away.

I do get very concerned when a cat is drinking a lot. Your vet will likely want to do some tests on him.

If a cat starts to do this all of a sudden then the first thing I think of is ingestion of some type of toxin. An example would be a toxic houseplant such as some types of lilies. If this is the case many cats can be saved by hospitalizing them and putting them on IV fluids but unfortunately sometimes it can be fatal.

Some cats can be born with kidneys that do not work properly. It is possible that habibbi is going into kidney failure because of a congenital kidney disease but this is quite uncommon.

I have seen some cats that drink a lot because of a new salty food, but it shouldn't be constant like this.

Your vet will do some blood and urine tests and help us to determine how serious this is.

I really hope habibbi is ok!

Cat fell off balcony. i was gone out of town for a couple of days and i live in the first floor up, i... (18011 views)

Coughing and not eating chihuahua My 3 year old chihuahua has been going downhill for about 2 weeks. Last week he... (7033 views)

Brown spot on lip of dog. Greetings, I have noticed that my cat has problem with her mouth. On the lower... (10105 views)

Cat died suddenly. 10-11-2010 Dear Dr Marie, almost exactly similar to the post:... (21758 views)

How long is parvo contagious? i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put... (19863 views)

Pemphigus and prednisone. Dear Dr Marie I am from Nepal. It is a developing country with per capita income... (4596 views)

Diabetes and cushings. Doc, I need an objective viewpoint. My 14 yr 3mo old dog Buddy has been diagnosed 3... (20083 views)

Sore dachshund My dog Mya has been shaking and is nervous and sensitive around her stomache area. I... (7234 views)

How often for heat? I'm wanting to breed my female Blue Heeler. She was last in heat at the beginning of... (10380 views)

Cat losing weight and vomiting. Sebastian was always a little overweight. Recently he has started losing weight,... (9894 views)