Very thirsty kitten.

Breed: domestic
Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl this morning, at first he was a bit lethargic and just wanted to sleep, but hes a bit more playfull now but constantly drinking. he has urinated once this morning in his litter tray, and does not seem interested in his dry food. he is due at vets today for his vaccination.

Hi and thanks for your question.

I have to apologize that I left my online status on when I went to bed last night! Sorry that you did not get a reply right away.

I do get very concerned when a cat is drinking a lot. Your vet will likely want to do some tests on him.

If a cat starts to do this all of a sudden then the first thing I think of is ingestion of some type of toxin. An example would be a toxic houseplant such as some types of lilies. If this is the case many cats can be saved by hospitalizing them and putting them on IV fluids but unfortunately sometimes it can be fatal.

Some cats can be born with kidneys that do not work properly. It is possible that habibbi is going into kidney failure because of a congenital kidney disease but this is quite uncommon.

I have seen some cats that drink a lot because of a new salty food, but it shouldn't be constant like this.

Your vet will do some blood and urine tests and help us to determine how serious this is.

I really hope habibbi is ok!

Are soy nuts bad for dogs? Are roasted soynuts safe for... (15847 views)

Newborn puppy not eating. Well yesterday my presious had puppys she had two, and about two to three hours... (8890 views)

Dog ate a dead bird. he ate a dead bird today,hes been sick once,he seems fine and hes eating,should i... (27408 views)

Kitten won't get out of litter box. PLEASE HELP...MY RAGDOLL KITTEN 9 WKS OLD WONT GET OUT OF THE LITTERBOX HARDLY AT... (9470 views)

53 days pregnant. My daughter got a dachshund from one of her inlaws about three months ago. Shortly... (48533 views)

Breed dog on next heat? I am interested in breeding my dog when she comes in to heat. What do I need to... (8413 views)

Bump on dog's ear. Hi Dr. Marie My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2... (61841 views)

Cat with pseudomonas infection. Sorry to bother you again. I wrote to you abt Shakey who has Pseudomas bacteria... (8623 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My can got attacked by a dog and she cant close her mouth all the way, but her tooth... (4889 views)

Kennel cough not getting better. Hello, My English bulldog puppy has been diagnosed with Kennel cough. He has had... (11599 views)