Very thirsty kitten.

Breed: domestic
Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl this morning, at first he was a bit lethargic and just wanted to sleep, but hes a bit more playfull now but constantly drinking. he has urinated once this morning in his litter tray, and does not seem interested in his dry food. he is due at vets today for his vaccination.

Hi and thanks for your question.

I have to apologize that I left my online status on when I went to bed last night! Sorry that you did not get a reply right away.

I do get very concerned when a cat is drinking a lot. Your vet will likely want to do some tests on him.

If a cat starts to do this all of a sudden then the first thing I think of is ingestion of some type of toxin. An example would be a toxic houseplant such as some types of lilies. If this is the case many cats can be saved by hospitalizing them and putting them on IV fluids but unfortunately sometimes it can be fatal.

Some cats can be born with kidneys that do not work properly. It is possible that habibbi is going into kidney failure because of a congenital kidney disease but this is quite uncommon.

I have seen some cats that drink a lot because of a new salty food, but it shouldn't be constant like this.

Your vet will do some blood and urine tests and help us to determine how serious this is.

I really hope habibbi is ok!

Hibiscus toxic to dogs? Are Hibiscus flowers poisonous? I caught my pomeranian eating one this morning... (22195 views)

Do cats get chicken pox? it is not of a cat of mine a cat i saw he had spots that looked alot like chickenpox... (28234 views)

Can a dog transmit Hep C? Recently my nephew was bitten by a k-9 dog in a mistaken identity situation. My... (19517 views)

Dog died after having diarrhea. My dog Dott is a small Aussie mix, weighing about 28 lbs. She is normally very... (26618 views)

Kittens died. My 9-10 month old cat had five kittens. No problem delivering. Kittens seemed... (11796 views)

Allergies or URTI? I was looking at the questions on cats, but couldn't find one that was close to what... (8558 views)

Vomiting dog. Our vet has told us that Lola won't digest all her food and empty her stomach in the... (7647 views)

Ear Cleaning. I'd like to know is a vinegar and water solution a good home remedy for my dogs... (26094 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Buster was throwing up for over two weeks. I had him to an emergency pet hospital,... (22971 views)

Male rabbits mounting. i have just got two babay rabbits that should be both 10 weeks old male and... (42888 views)