Eye problem.

Breed: pitt bull
Chances eyes are really red all the time and gets a bunch of eye snot I clean it out for him but. There's a lot is that ok or what should I do

This is a tough one to answer without seeing Chance.

If you are seeing a green or yellow type of discharge from the eyes then there is a good possibility that there is some infection there. If that is the case it is not likely to go away without a prescription from your vet.

Many of the pitties in my office have allergies. While allergies don't cause a snotty discharge they can cause redness and inflammation and that inflammation can lead to an infection. If your vet feels there are allergies there they may talk about some chronic medications you can use to help.

Some dogs with discharge from their eyes can have a condition called dry eye (KCS or keratoconjunctivitis sicca). This is a serious condition that needs lifelong medication. However, it is not common in young dogs. If your vet suspects this they will do a quick test for it called a schirmer tear test.

I hope this helps!

Lumps on dog's nose. Do you know what these bumps count be? He also has a bald spot under his eye. He is... (65290 views)

Nutritional supplement for repeated fractures. I have a chihuahua who has broken the same leg three times in the last year. The... (10320 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 10 week old OES pup, male. He is in good weight, healthy... (15734 views)

Alternative to fluid pills. What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?... (10123 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog has a hard time standing up from the sitting position. Occasionally, he will... (12119 views)

Dog ate moldy corn. My 4 month old, 20 lb. standard poodle may have eaten very moldy creamed corn from a... (46839 views)

Fearful Sheltie. my dog is very nervous of new people and places. she is very nervous and can't focus... (9455 views)

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (8204 views)

Sudden death in papillon My Doctor, I had a six year old female Papillon. She was in seemingly perfect and... (8323 views)

Pitbull with breathing problems. My daughter rescued a pit bull a few years ago. He has been an amazing dog. However,... (13702 views)