Contagious seizures.

Breed: German Shepherd
Blake is a 2yr old German shepherd that started having epileptic fits in june 2010. We suspected Toxoplasma because he had lived with a cat since puppyhood (cat died a year ago of old age). Toxoplasma test was negative. He was first put on phenobarbital, raising dosage upto 180mg daily but no change. He was changed o carbamazepine 3 weeks ago at 200mg twice daily (which has gradually been increased to 400mg) but he still has attacks every 10 - 12 days. However the puzzle here is the other pets that have lived in the household as Blake, about 3(even before Blake came) have at one time had epileptic fits including the cat, which lived longest; 17years. I have a strong feeling this might not be just mere coincidence, though indicators point at primary epilepsy
Any Ideas?? Help
Alex, Uganda

Thanks for an interesting question.

There are not many contagious things that can cause seizures in several animals in a household.

There are some toxins that can cause seizures. These include:

• Some pesticides such as organophosphates

• The Japanese Yew Plant

• Methomyl fly bait

• strychnine

• 5 flurouracil anticancer medication

However, a toxin does not sound likely if your dog is having seizures every 10-12 days.

Has any blood work been done on Blake? If there is evidence of kidney or liver damage then this could be a cause of seizures.

If not, then the next test that would be helpful is a CSF tap (spinal fluid tap). However, this is a test that usually has to be done by a specialist. Examination of the spinal fluid can tell us about certain types of infections and some parasites that can affect the brain and spinal cord.

If your vet is suspicious of a parasite affecting the spinal cord it may be worthwhile putting him on a combination of doxycycline and clindamycin just to be sure.

It does sound like it could be epilepsy though.

I really hope he improves soon!

Dog's baby teeth not out. Hi Dr Marie, Happy Holidays to you. I have a question. I don't think this is a... (13830 views)

Bump on dog's neck. Hello, I found a small, pink, raised bump on my dog's neck this morning. It is... (116465 views)

Brewer's Yeast for fleas. Is brewers yeast and garlic a safe treatment for deterring fleas and ticks,... (18980 views)

Dog died suddenly. Dr. Marie - We had a Yorkshire Terrier (would have been 12 years old in August).... (70102 views)

Brown spots on dog's belly. In the last 5 weeks, I've noticed some skin spots on my 3 year old Yorkshire... (33958 views)

Pea sized lump. Hi Dr. This morning I noticed a pea-sized lump on one of Max's ribs on the left... (58422 views)

Can dogs get chlamydia? I recently found out that i had Chlamydia, my dog hank has a bad habit of getting... (38704 views)

Aggressive hamster. hello, i got a russian hamster yesterday and in the store and at home he was really... (9755 views)

Brown fur from licking. Plato has been licking his paws, face and butt a lot. Now those areas are turning... (46537 views)

Cat limping and vomiting. Today I noticed that my cat was limping a bit. Later on in the day I noticed that... (17740 views)