Contagious seizures.

Breed: German Shepherd
Blake is a 2yr old German shepherd that started having epileptic fits in june 2010. We suspected Toxoplasma because he had lived with a cat since puppyhood (cat died a year ago of old age). Toxoplasma test was negative. He was first put on phenobarbital, raising dosage upto 180mg daily but no change. He was changed o carbamazepine 3 weeks ago at 200mg twice daily (which has gradually been increased to 400mg) but he still has attacks every 10 - 12 days. However the puzzle here is the other pets that have lived in the household as Blake, about 3(even before Blake came) have at one time had epileptic fits including the cat, which lived longest; 17years. I have a strong feeling this might not be just mere coincidence, though indicators point at primary epilepsy
Any Ideas?? Help
Alex, Uganda

Thanks for an interesting question.

There are not many contagious things that can cause seizures in several animals in a household.

There are some toxins that can cause seizures. These include:

• Some pesticides such as organophosphates

• The Japanese Yew Plant

• Methomyl fly bait

• strychnine

• 5 flurouracil anticancer medication

However, a toxin does not sound likely if your dog is having seizures every 10-12 days.

Has any blood work been done on Blake? If there is evidence of kidney or liver damage then this could be a cause of seizures.

If not, then the next test that would be helpful is a CSF tap (spinal fluid tap). However, this is a test that usually has to be done by a specialist. Examination of the spinal fluid can tell us about certain types of infections and some parasites that can affect the brain and spinal cord.

If your vet is suspicious of a parasite affecting the spinal cord it may be worthwhile putting him on a combination of doxycycline and clindamycin just to be sure.

It does sound like it could be epilepsy though.

I really hope he improves soon!

Pigmented spot on belly. Dr, Recall my 9 week old golden named Max... I noticed something today on his... (13792 views)

Kitten eating her feces. My kitten keeps eating her own poo and vomiting it back up and i dont know why... (12861 views)

Breeding and vaccines. I wanted to breed my female pitbull, but I have not yet given her the annual... (17471 views)

Is it ok to shave a cat? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 4th time writing to... (12559 views)

Vomiting foamy yellow stuff. My Yorki 8 Lb and was throwing up yellow foamy and almost puss like stuff 3 days ago... (19487 views)

Roundworms and hookworms. How often do you find roundworms /hookworms in dogs is it rare of fairly... (5162 views)

Cat with diarrhea but eating. My 12 year old tabby had watery diarrhea and vomited 1 night ago. I took food away... (25174 views)

Dog ate soap. My dog just ate a whole bar of soap? Do I need to be worried? It was Dove soap. ... (175879 views)

Irregular heart rhythm. MY 12 year old lurcher ran into a car and broke a leg and a few ribs he is in... (9424 views)

Vaccines in Nunavut. Hi, We live in the high arctic and don't have access to vet services and thus... (6650 views)