Contagious seizures.

Breed: German Shepherd
Blake is a 2yr old German shepherd that started having epileptic fits in june 2010. We suspected Toxoplasma because he had lived with a cat since puppyhood (cat died a year ago of old age). Toxoplasma test was negative. He was first put on phenobarbital, raising dosage upto 180mg daily but no change. He was changed o carbamazepine 3 weeks ago at 200mg twice daily (which has gradually been increased to 400mg) but he still has attacks every 10 - 12 days. However the puzzle here is the other pets that have lived in the household as Blake, about 3(even before Blake came) have at one time had epileptic fits including the cat, which lived longest; 17years. I have a strong feeling this might not be just mere coincidence, though indicators point at primary epilepsy
Any Ideas?? Help
Alex, Uganda

Thanks for an interesting question.

There are not many contagious things that can cause seizures in several animals in a household.

There are some toxins that can cause seizures. These include:

• Some pesticides such as organophosphates

• The Japanese Yew Plant

• Methomyl fly bait

• strychnine

• 5 flurouracil anticancer medication

However, a toxin does not sound likely if your dog is having seizures every 10-12 days.

Has any blood work been done on Blake? If there is evidence of kidney or liver damage then this could be a cause of seizures.

If not, then the next test that would be helpful is a CSF tap (spinal fluid tap). However, this is a test that usually has to be done by a specialist. Examination of the spinal fluid can tell us about certain types of infections and some parasites that can affect the brain and spinal cord.

If your vet is suspicious of a parasite affecting the spinal cord it may be worthwhile putting him on a combination of doxycycline and clindamycin just to be sure.

It does sound like it could be epilepsy though.

I really hope he improves soon!

Cat losing clumps of fur Our beloved 9 yo old male cat Gretzkey is ripping his hair out in clumps. Our house... (42333 views)

Can an older cat be groomed? I have been getting Lily groomed twice a year since she was 1. She is getting older... (4663 views)

Guinea pig breathing problems. I'm not sure if you can answer this. My Guinea Pig was breathing very loud and fast.... (14664 views)

Should dog have a liver biopsy? My dog, Zora, was adopted from a rescue group in CA so we don't know much about her... (10466 views)

Testicle tumor and incontinence. my 11 year old dog has a swollen testicle, (a friend told me it may be a tumor), he... (8382 views)

Dog spinning and bothered My dog doesn't have flea's but acts like he is being bothered by something. He... (11960 views)

Heart medication questions. My dog’s name is Yoda. He is 16 years old. But for his heart, he is in good... (5061 views)

Trouble waking and dandruff. My male, neutered cat came from the back alley. I can't remember if we initally had... (5275 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (7696 views)

Dog shaking and limping. Dear Dr: Since yesterday I see that my dog tires to go to the bathrooms and hide.... (10823 views)