Contagious seizures.

Breed: German Shepherd
Blake is a 2yr old German shepherd that started having epileptic fits in june 2010. We suspected Toxoplasma because he had lived with a cat since puppyhood (cat died a year ago of old age). Toxoplasma test was negative. He was first put on phenobarbital, raising dosage upto 180mg daily but no change. He was changed o carbamazepine 3 weeks ago at 200mg twice daily (which has gradually been increased to 400mg) but he still has attacks every 10 - 12 days. However the puzzle here is the other pets that have lived in the household as Blake, about 3(even before Blake came) have at one time had epileptic fits including the cat, which lived longest; 17years. I have a strong feeling this might not be just mere coincidence, though indicators point at primary epilepsy
Any Ideas?? Help
Alex, Uganda

Thanks for an interesting question.

There are not many contagious things that can cause seizures in several animals in a household.

There are some toxins that can cause seizures. These include:

• Some pesticides such as organophosphates

• The Japanese Yew Plant

• Methomyl fly bait

• strychnine

• 5 flurouracil anticancer medication

However, a toxin does not sound likely if your dog is having seizures every 10-12 days.

Has any blood work been done on Blake? If there is evidence of kidney or liver damage then this could be a cause of seizures.

If not, then the next test that would be helpful is a CSF tap (spinal fluid tap). However, this is a test that usually has to be done by a specialist. Examination of the spinal fluid can tell us about certain types of infections and some parasites that can affect the brain and spinal cord.

If your vet is suspicious of a parasite affecting the spinal cord it may be worthwhile putting him on a combination of doxycycline and clindamycin just to be sure.

It does sound like it could be epilepsy though.

I really hope he improves soon!

Vaccine FeLV positive cat? If my cat tested positive for FeLv should he still get vaccine boosters like fvrcp,... (9213 views)

Cooked garlic safety? I have 2 dogs. An 8 pound shipoo and a 20 pound mini shnauzer. The shipoo has... (9295 views)

Are tomatoes bad for dogs? I have a question about dogs and tomatoes. I accidentally fed my dog a few(maybe... (555982 views)

Cat won't use litter box. I have a 7 month old female cat, I have had her vet checked and she has no problems.... (11318 views)

Protein in urine. Hi, My Yorkie is 12 and had smelly pee starting in September 2010. I took a sample... (12952 views)

Infected wound? Hi, my cat is indoor and outdoor (she has the face of an Egyptian Mau & its head... (4814 views)

Puppy has a small eye. my puppy has an eye defect it is smaller than the other and seems to be lazy it is... (24885 views)

Swollen foot because of bandage. Hi- My dog recently cut himself and had to get 4 stitches. The day he was to get... (111407 views)

Lifespan of a rat? What is the average lifespan of a rat? My rat is 3 years old and very healthy. Is... (9335 views)

Is this Pemphigus? My cat Loki is a 4 yr old, neutered male. Over the past 2 years he has been getting... (11943 views)