Dog drinks every 20 minutes.

Breed: chihuahua
I have a 10 year old chihuahua and she is drinking alot of water...she is eating normally and has energy we do not feed her from out plate she is about 7 lbs she is not overweight at all.. she wakes me up at night very seldon but occasionally to get a drink. Is this something to be concerned about. During the day she gets up about every 20 minutes to get a drink..should I be concerned.

What's really important is the amount of water she is drinking. A normal dog should not drink more than 65 ml/kg of water. So, for a 7 lb dog this means she should be drinking no more than 206 mls (just under a cup) of water a day.

If she's drinking more than this then I would talk to your vet about testing her for diabetes, kidney disease or other conditions.

Puppy with hard lump on throat my dog has a hard lump on the side of his throat what could it be it is hard does... (21108 views)

Loss of muscle mass on one leg. My dog has lost muscle mass on just ONE hind leg and is getting worse everyday. He... (26773 views)

Prozac for submissive peeing? My Morkie is 2 1/2 years old. I rescued her at 6 mos. she is aggressive and also... (9133 views)

Repeated ear infections. Hi! My dog Opie is a five-and-a-half-year-old, male (neutered) red sable... (14790 views)

Dog has smelly ears. hiya my puppy has a smell coming from his ears its not strong but when you come... (8473 views)

dog with strabismus Dr. , My Boxer Cooper has what I think is called strabismus or lazy eye. He has... (20135 views)

Very sick kitty. just found you, wish we had found you earlier. maybe kitty will still be with us... (8562 views)

High LDDS and ALKP Hello Dr. Marie You might remember me and Oreo from past questions? Well, Oreo... (8566 views)

Benadryl for thunderstorms? My dog is terified of thunderstoms. Pants, tongue hanging out, eyes huge, and heart... (41081 views)

Limping Boxer. My dog is a boxer about 2 yrs old. My son stepped on his paw about a week ago and... (16010 views)