Dog drinks every 20 minutes.

Breed: chihuahua
I have a 10 year old chihuahua and she is drinking alot of water...she is eating normally and has energy we do not feed her from out plate she is about 7 lbs she is not overweight at all.. she wakes me up at night very seldon but occasionally to get a drink. Is this something to be concerned about. During the day she gets up about every 20 minutes to get a drink..should I be concerned.

What's really important is the amount of water she is drinking. A normal dog should not drink more than 65 ml/kg of water. So, for a 7 lb dog this means she should be drinking no more than 206 mls (just under a cup) of water a day.

If she's drinking more than this then I would talk to your vet about testing her for diabetes, kidney disease or other conditions.

Why is cat urinating in the house? Hi Dr. Marie, Recently, my one cat Habibi has started urinating outside of the... (5708 views)

Front leg and neck pain. Hi, I noticed last Thursday my dog being uncomfortable and by Saturday he started... (12554 views)

Chemical castration of dogs. What would be the benefits of Zinc neutering using Zinc Gluconate offered by Ark... (13683 views)

Older dog acting strange. I have had Dakota since he was 3 months old and he will be 12 in January. The... (11360 views)

Good chew toys for dogs. Hi Dr, I have a 9 month old dog who is part Golden and part Canadian beaver. He... (14922 views)

Benadryl for dogs How much Benadryl can I give my dog? I think he is having an allergic reaction to a... (14006 views)

Really bad skin issues. there is a PHOTO on the Pet-Forums-UK website, on the Dog Health sub-forum under Dog... (9847 views)

Puppy is leaking urine. Im concerned about my puppy frequent and what seems to be lack of urin control. The... (20804 views)

Should we put down out cat? Good evening. My 15 year old tabby seems to be in rough shape. He is still... (5466 views)

Bumps on belly and vomiting. MY NEO IS AROUND 2 MONTHS OLD,NOT YET VACCINATED. FOR SOME DAYS BOILS ARE... (7560 views)