calamine lotion on dogs

Breed: hairless chihuahua
Doeden has a itchy rash, raised pale bumps, on the back of his neck; I put on some caladryl lotion last night and this morning, this afternoon he is acting sad, and hasn't eaten all day, acts tired, won't play. The question is...is todays symptoms because of the anti-itch lotion or the rash or something completely different?

Caladryl (calamine) lotion is not recommended for dogs as it can actually be toxic to dogs. The most toxic component is zinc oxide.

Zinc can cause stomach upset, vomiting and diarrhea. However, this usually is only a problem if the lotion was eaten.

Is it possible that Doeden has licked at the area? If so, there will likely be some mild stomach upset and this can account for the lethargy. While repeated ingestion of zinc oxide can cause serious problems a few licks of lotion is not likely to be life threatening.

However, the real issue here is what is causing the skin irritation? There is a possibility that it is an allergic reaction, or it could be a skin infection. It may be a hot spot which is a very irritated skin infection.

In any case I think it would be good to have your vet take a look at the area and determine if he needs some antibiotics or other medication. There really isn't an over the counter medicine that is likely to help.

I hope he is ok!

Related question: Are tomatoes bad for dogs?

Addison's disease. I had almost the same experience as the person who wrote you about losing their dog... (17750 views)

Dog doesn't drink much and burps. We recently adopted our boxer mix from a vet and she appears to be in very good... (20861 views)

Diabetic cat with seizures. I've inherited a diabetic cat with a history of seizures. Since bringing him home,... (18959 views)

Does parvo affect sperm? My dog, Moose, had Parvo Virus when he was eight months old. Yes, Moose got Parvo... (8962 views)

Bleeding and then death. What would make a dog bleed soliva, loose muskle control, keep it from eating,... (13945 views)

Accidents outside of box. Mt cat is litter box trained and has been since she was around 3 months old. We... (5574 views)

What is a CG8 blood test? Hi, my vet wants to do blood tests to see how Frankie is doing, he seems to have... (6489 views)

Clavaseptin and diarrhea. My puppy recently had to spend a night at the vet, we are pretty sure he just ate... (14113 views)

Is my dog pregnant? i was woke up this morning mu my female pup crying and yelping. so i found her... (14853 views)

Recurrent bladder infection. I have a four month old pug puppy that has had symptoms of UTI since 4/8/13. She is... (11641 views)