calamine lotion on dogs

Breed: hairless chihuahua
Doeden has a itchy rash, raised pale bumps, on the back of his neck; I put on some caladryl lotion last night and this morning, this afternoon he is acting sad, and hasn't eaten all day, acts tired, won't play. The question is...is todays symptoms because of the anti-itch lotion or the rash or something completely different?

Caladryl (calamine) lotion is not recommended for dogs as it can actually be toxic to dogs. The most toxic component is zinc oxide.

Zinc can cause stomach upset, vomiting and diarrhea. However, this usually is only a problem if the lotion was eaten.

Is it possible that Doeden has licked at the area? If so, there will likely be some mild stomach upset and this can account for the lethargy. While repeated ingestion of zinc oxide can cause serious problems a few licks of lotion is not likely to be life threatening.

However, the real issue here is what is causing the skin irritation? There is a possibility that it is an allergic reaction, or it could be a skin infection. It may be a hot spot which is a very irritated skin infection.

In any case I think it would be good to have your vet take a look at the area and determine if he needs some antibiotics or other medication. There really isn't an over the counter medicine that is likely to help.

I hope he is ok!

Related question: Are tomatoes bad for dogs?

Pink lump on dog's paw. I just noticed my Daschund has a small lump on one of her paws. It is pinkish in... (60279 views)

Bump on roof of mouth. Hi I'm almost certain this is nothing. But I have an 8 week old golden male. I've... (34979 views)

Grove snail care. Dear Dr. Marie, Hi. My snail has been burying himself lately, so whenever I want... (12699 views)

Running with puppy. I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a... (6226 views)

Brown spots on puppy's belly. Hi Doctor. I've noticed an area along my puppies belly down to her private area... (49142 views)

Breeding big and little dog. i have a year and a half old female jack russell/rat terrier cross that is in heat... (9244 views)

Grapeseed extract and dogs. Grape seed extract listed on some chicken jerky treats from china when looking after... (12328 views)

Yellow liquid at tip of penis. Every once in a while (maybe twice a week) he will have a yellowish white dot of... (20454 views)

Cat has poop stuck to bum. My cat was a rescue from a pet hoarder and was taken too young from her mother. She... (11321 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur in kitten. I raise and show Devon Rexes. I have a litter of 6 kittens that were 8 weeks old... (11131 views)