calamine lotion on dogs

Breed: hairless chihuahua
Doeden has a itchy rash, raised pale bumps, on the back of his neck; I put on some caladryl lotion last night and this morning, this afternoon he is acting sad, and hasn't eaten all day, acts tired, won't play. The question is...is todays symptoms because of the anti-itch lotion or the rash or something completely different?

Caladryl (calamine) lotion is not recommended for dogs as it can actually be toxic to dogs. The most toxic component is zinc oxide.

Zinc can cause stomach upset, vomiting and diarrhea. However, this usually is only a problem if the lotion was eaten.

Is it possible that Doeden has licked at the area? If so, there will likely be some mild stomach upset and this can account for the lethargy. While repeated ingestion of zinc oxide can cause serious problems a few licks of lotion is not likely to be life threatening.

However, the real issue here is what is causing the skin irritation? There is a possibility that it is an allergic reaction, or it could be a skin infection. It may be a hot spot which is a very irritated skin infection.

In any case I think it would be good to have your vet take a look at the area and determine if he needs some antibiotics or other medication. There really isn't an over the counter medicine that is likely to help.

I hope he is ok!

Related question: Are tomatoes bad for dogs?

Swollen eye and face. Hello, My 12.5 years old dog, Siberian husky, (in very good condition... (10690 views)

Sick 4 week old puppies. i have 5 chihuahua puppies of 4 weeks, and last night one of the pup's started... (16749 views)

Ovarian remnant syndrome. Hi there, We had our beautiful, angel, female kitten spayed just over one month... (5728 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My pug has been vomiting over the last few days it started two nights ago I woke up... (32702 views)

Dog spay incision lump. My dog has a lump under her spay incision. I adopted Tiaa from a rescue group a... (75464 views)

Why do dogs eat grass? I recently moved and walk my dog around the new neighborhood. Two times now he has... (13542 views)

Clumsy,wobbly yorkiepoo. My son put my 11 month old yorkiepoo outside yesterday and he didn't let him back in... (12660 views)

Dog attacked by javelina. My dog got attacked by a javelina.. shes bleeding from her nose and mouth, what... (7812 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog has been losing her appetite for about 2 months. She would no longer eat her... (11870 views)

Seizures or syncopal episodes? For some history, Bella is a 12 year old pug who is as healthy as you can expect a... (6381 views)