calamine lotion on dogs

Breed: hairless chihuahua
Doeden has a itchy rash, raised pale bumps, on the back of his neck; I put on some caladryl lotion last night and this morning, this afternoon he is acting sad, and hasn't eaten all day, acts tired, won't play. The question is...is todays symptoms because of the anti-itch lotion or the rash or something completely different?

Caladryl (calamine) lotion is not recommended for dogs as it can actually be toxic to dogs. The most toxic component is zinc oxide.

Zinc can cause stomach upset, vomiting and diarrhea. However, this usually is only a problem if the lotion was eaten.

Is it possible that Doeden has licked at the area? If so, there will likely be some mild stomach upset and this can account for the lethargy. While repeated ingestion of zinc oxide can cause serious problems a few licks of lotion is not likely to be life threatening.

However, the real issue here is what is causing the skin irritation? There is a possibility that it is an allergic reaction, or it could be a skin infection. It may be a hot spot which is a very irritated skin infection.

In any case I think it would be good to have your vet take a look at the area and determine if he needs some antibiotics or other medication. There really isn't an over the counter medicine that is likely to help.

I hope he is ok!

Related question: Are tomatoes bad for dogs?

Floppy ear in German Shepherd. Hello my name is nick and i have a purebred west german shepherd from working lines.... (27910 views)

Sore gums in chihuahua. My dog's gums are very sensitive. I tried brushing them and on the right side, they... (11888 views)

How much exercise for a puppy? Hi Dr Marie, I'm pleased to report Max is doing well.. changing from Iams to p/d... (9647 views)

Increased thirst and urination. I have an 11 year old spayed female toy poodle. She has been drinking a lot of water... (25733 views)

Does fampridine help with spinal cord trauma? Has there been any success, or even attempt, at treating paralysis in cats using... (13256 views)

Wound on cat. My father's cat Jerry is 3 year old neutered male DSH who is up-to-date on all... (6510 views)

Swollen eye after removal. Hi My 16 month old male pug had his intact left globe removed 10 months ago after... (7627 views)

Chicken jerky from Thailand. We hear about the chicken jerkey from China, how about the jerkey from Thiland. Do... (7975 views)

Hole on puppy's head. My german shepherd gave birth to 9 puppies on June 19, however 1 pup came out with a... (17755 views)

Coughing dog. Hi, We have talked before. Trixie is 13 years old and has had kidney issues. I... (19282 views)