Cat is whiney when peeing

Breed: yellow tabby fixed
my 12 yr old cat cherokee had a bladder infection about 2 months ago. i changed the food to s/o and added another litter box. (i have 2 cats.) the vet put him on some medication and after nearly a month he finally got better. but now he is very winey again. mainly when he gets ready to go to the litter box. however, this time he doesnt have loose poo. is there something at home i can do for him. vet is expincive so i'd like to try home before i try vet again. my other cat is fine.

thanks for the help.

sincerely,

april mcpeak

Related article:FLUTD - Urinary Tract Blockage in Cats.

I'm sorry to hear that Cherokee is having urinary tract problems.

I would highly advise that you have your vet check a urine sample from him to be sure that he is not having more urinary tract issues.

You may want to ask them about the possibility of him having something called interstitial cystitis. This is a condition where there is inflammation in the bladder. Some cats who get interstitial cystitis can have multiple bouts of it throughout their life and need to be on medication either periodically or all of the time.

I wish I could give you advice on a treatment you could do at home, but because urinary tract disease is so serious I always recommend going back to see the vet. If he does have urinary crystals it will be much less expensive to treat the problem now while he is still able to pee than after he gets blocked.

I really hope he is ok!

Peeing in the house. We have a problem with Storm (a male cat) weeing every where in the house we do have... (8307 views)

Is vet just trying to make money? I have 3 cats aged 3, 4 and 7. Lately every time I walk into my DVM's off ice I... (9467 views)

Sick shih tzu Hello, I have a question about my 2 and a half year old shit-zu. yesterday, after... (15939 views)

Peeing in house. I have a 10 year old female cat that has never consistently used the litter box in... (6366 views)

My cat's fur is falling out. My cat's fur is falling out. Patchy and balding. I have 2 cats, the other is... (15699 views)

Vomiting puppy. My 30 day old Lab is pukes when I feed him milk and I think is dehydrated as his... (12833 views)

Vomiting dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog Frank is usually very active, but one week ago he was feeling... (8500 views)

Golden Retriever puppy diarrhea. Dr, All of a sudden last Sunday my 8 week old male Golden had two large stools... (21081 views)

Bald patches on body. I live in Spain. Last Spring my dog had hard white lumps of skin down the sides of... (34327 views)

Painful dog. I have a small dog, under 20 pounds, that I rescued off the street in Mexico. I'm... (9544 views)