Cat is whiney when peeing

Breed: yellow tabby fixed
my 12 yr old cat cherokee had a bladder infection about 2 months ago. i changed the food to s/o and added another litter box. (i have 2 cats.) the vet put him on some medication and after nearly a month he finally got better. but now he is very winey again. mainly when he gets ready to go to the litter box. however, this time he doesnt have loose poo. is there something at home i can do for him. vet is expincive so i'd like to try home before i try vet again. my other cat is fine.

thanks for the help.

sincerely,

april mcpeak

Related article:FLUTD - Urinary Tract Blockage in Cats.

I'm sorry to hear that Cherokee is having urinary tract problems.

I would highly advise that you have your vet check a urine sample from him to be sure that he is not having more urinary tract issues.

You may want to ask them about the possibility of him having something called interstitial cystitis. This is a condition where there is inflammation in the bladder. Some cats who get interstitial cystitis can have multiple bouts of it throughout their life and need to be on medication either periodically or all of the time.

I wish I could give you advice on a treatment you could do at home, but because urinary tract disease is so serious I always recommend going back to see the vet. If he does have urinary crystals it will be much less expensive to treat the problem now while he is still able to pee than after he gets blocked.

I really hope he is ok!

Vomiting dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog Frank is usually very active, but one week ago he was feeling... (8938 views)

Skin lesion on gerbil. can you recommend a treatment for what appears to be a hot spot or skin irritation... (8030 views)

Wound on cat. My father's cat Jerry is 3 year old neutered male DSH who is up-to-date on all... (6274 views)

Ear mite treatment for dogs and cats. Hello, I just noticed the other day that my cat and dog has alot of ... (10380 views)

Cat losing weight. My cat is only about 2 years, she is female. She recently got sick, she started off... (11093 views)

Vomiting, diarrhea, sneezing. My 4 month old kitten has vomited twice this morning. He has also coughed and... (20363 views)

Ear swollen like balloon. My dog has a large swelling on her ear that looks like a balloon. She is shaking... (29402 views)

Is my dog in heat? my dog was really sick and she wouldnt eat. then after a few days she got better and... (34992 views)

Kitten panting. My previous cats lived to be 18 yrs, so it's a long time since I had a young one. ... (6896 views)

Black dots in dog's ear. We recently realised there are black sesame seed like black dots in one of my dog's... (12637 views)