Cat is whiney when peeing

Breed: yellow tabby fixed
my 12 yr old cat cherokee had a bladder infection about 2 months ago. i changed the food to s/o and added another litter box. (i have 2 cats.) the vet put him on some medication and after nearly a month he finally got better. but now he is very winey again. mainly when he gets ready to go to the litter box. however, this time he doesnt have loose poo. is there something at home i can do for him. vet is expincive so i'd like to try home before i try vet again. my other cat is fine.

thanks for the help.

sincerely,

april mcpeak

Related article:FLUTD - Urinary Tract Blockage in Cats.

I'm sorry to hear that Cherokee is having urinary tract problems.

I would highly advise that you have your vet check a urine sample from him to be sure that he is not having more urinary tract issues.

You may want to ask them about the possibility of him having something called interstitial cystitis. This is a condition where there is inflammation in the bladder. Some cats who get interstitial cystitis can have multiple bouts of it throughout their life and need to be on medication either periodically or all of the time.

I wish I could give you advice on a treatment you could do at home, but because urinary tract disease is so serious I always recommend going back to see the vet. If he does have urinary crystals it will be much less expensive to treat the problem now while he is still able to pee than after he gets blocked.

I really hope he is ok!

Hartz and Advantage. I gave my cat Hartz one spot flea treatment and it doesnt work grrrr, i gave it on... (11678 views)

Dog died after surgery. On Saturday evening my daughters 6 month old dog swallowed a needle which got her... (15230 views)

Does Hartz flea treatment work? My dogs have gotten fleas and I've been putting Hartz flea treatment on them but it... (19344 views)

Dog ate moldy food. I know its likely my question won't get answered, and this is a question that can't... (29224 views)

Older cat with diarrhea Gizzy has Diarrhea most all the time and it smells really bad She used to throw up... (11680 views)

Mast cell tumors on penis. I have a healthy 11 yr old Chihuahua named Tyson who has mitotic cancer/mast cell... (18560 views)

Wart on dog's foot. Last Friday I was walking my dog and he suddenly pulled up his front right paw and... (33114 views)

Dog having seizures. Hi Dr. Marie, My regular vet left to go on holiday today and after calling the... (17051 views)

Is this a mouth tumor? Hi, Our cat has been doing poorly lately. She went for about a month eating once... (5825 views)

Golden with itchy abdomen. Hello My dog Henri has been constantly licking and chewing his underside inside... (36633 views)