Cat is whiney when peeing

Breed: yellow tabby fixed
my 12 yr old cat cherokee had a bladder infection about 2 months ago. i changed the food to s/o and added another litter box. (i have 2 cats.) the vet put him on some medication and after nearly a month he finally got better. but now he is very winey again. mainly when he gets ready to go to the litter box. however, this time he doesnt have loose poo. is there something at home i can do for him. vet is expincive so i'd like to try home before i try vet again. my other cat is fine.

thanks for the help.

sincerely,

april mcpeak

Related article:FLUTD - Urinary Tract Blockage in Cats.

I'm sorry to hear that Cherokee is having urinary tract problems.

I would highly advise that you have your vet check a urine sample from him to be sure that he is not having more urinary tract issues.

You may want to ask them about the possibility of him having something called interstitial cystitis. This is a condition where there is inflammation in the bladder. Some cats who get interstitial cystitis can have multiple bouts of it throughout their life and need to be on medication either periodically or all of the time.

I wish I could give you advice on a treatment you could do at home, but because urinary tract disease is so serious I always recommend going back to see the vet. If he does have urinary crystals it will be much less expensive to treat the problem now while he is still able to pee than after he gets blocked.

I really hope he is ok!

Kennel cough in pregnant dog. My dog just started very mild reverse sneeze/sneezing and slight runny nose I'm... (16066 views)

Blood in urine after bladder surgery Hello again Dr. Marie. My dog had bladder surgery on Monday. To make a long story... (18611 views)

Regurgitating water. Hello, Dr Marie. My cocker spaniel just recently started regurgitating water. He... (10807 views)

Dog licking paws On Wednesday I noticed Max was licking his right rear paw. Last Saturday he had a... (60652 views)

Guinea pig noises. Heys! I have only one guinea pig and she is female. Sometimes my guinea pig makes... (9757 views)

Cat shaking after flea treatment. I accidentally treated my kitten with a store bought flea treatment meant for dogs... (27292 views)

Trembling head - distemper? Hi there This is the issue with my little puppy. I picked him up alone from... (5843 views)

Cat has an itchy head. Hello, my cat's head is very itchy. She has been wearing a e-collar for a year... (9100 views)

Rottweiler can't stand. Hello, We have a 13 year old Rott who was diagnosed with arthritis of the spine. ... (27326 views)

Ear infection and FIV. Hi, I got Monty from a rescue home 5 months ago. he is an fiv + cat and looked so... (5909 views)