Do you like being a vet?

Breed: Tonkinese
Hi Dr. Marie
I have 2 cats and their names are simba and angel and they're very healthy and doing great :)
But.. my question is just about your job.. do you like being a vet? I have decided I want to become a vet in the future and I just want an opinion on what your job is like.
I have talked to my veterinarian and I wanted another opinion.
I love animals and I can't really think of anything else I would really like to do in the future. I am going to try and volunteer at a vet clinic during the summer and I am considering taking co-op next year to get more experience.
I guess this isn't the type of question I should be asking, considering all the other questions are about problems pets are having, but I thought I'd give it a try.
If you choose to answer this question, thank you very much for your time. I really appreciate it :)

Hi and thanks for your question.

I do love being a vet, but you have to be really sure this is what you want to do.

I see a lot of sad things. I guide a lot of people through difficult decisions about their pets. Being a vet is mostly about dealing with people and helping them make decisions.

The part of my job I like the most is problem solving. I love to take clues and figure out what is wrong with the animals.

I make a decent salary, but I could make a lot more in other professions (like human medicine).

Hope that answers your question!

Older dog won't eat. My dog is a mutt, 14yrs old, and has been acting strangely as of late. She doesn't... (10445 views)

Sneezing guinea pig. My guinea pig is sneezing and wiping her nose more frequntly than she did... (19740 views)

Bad breath in puppy. My two month maltese male puppy has really bad breath, what can I do? I'm worrying... (4871 views)

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (5015 views)

Strange behavior in cat. Hello. My cat got hit by a car four months ago and had to have his tail... (10648 views)

Snorting dog My dog has been sneezing and once ina while making a coughing sound...like snoring. ... (26284 views)

medicine for collapsing trachea We are leaving for a car trip with Skiggy. She has a collapsable larynx and gets... (9392 views)

Swollen foot after wound. My dog Toby has what appears to be a cut in between his toes on one of his paws. He... (4821 views)

Myasthenia gravis I am grieving the loss of my beloved companion who was euthanized on May 18, 2011.... (21047 views)

Dog was limping and death. My dog was favoring his left front leg and he is an outside dog with lots of energy,... (14297 views)