Do you like being a vet?

Breed: Tonkinese
Hi Dr. Marie
I have 2 cats and their names are simba and angel and they're very healthy and doing great :)
But.. my question is just about your job.. do you like being a vet? I have decided I want to become a vet in the future and I just want an opinion on what your job is like.
I have talked to my veterinarian and I wanted another opinion.
I love animals and I can't really think of anything else I would really like to do in the future. I am going to try and volunteer at a vet clinic during the summer and I am considering taking co-op next year to get more experience.
I guess this isn't the type of question I should be asking, considering all the other questions are about problems pets are having, but I thought I'd give it a try.
If you choose to answer this question, thank you very much for your time. I really appreciate it :)

Hi and thanks for your question.

I do love being a vet, but you have to be really sure this is what you want to do.

I see a lot of sad things. I guide a lot of people through difficult decisions about their pets. Being a vet is mostly about dealing with people and helping them make decisions.

The part of my job I like the most is problem solving. I love to take clues and figure out what is wrong with the animals.

I make a decent salary, but I could make a lot more in other professions (like human medicine).

Hope that answers your question!

Runny eyes in a persian. Hi there I just recently got Chewey who is a extreme flat face persian and his eyes... (17573 views)

Cryptosporidium and clostridium. I am hoping for confirmation that we are on the right track with treating our two 11... (18058 views)

Losing weight but lab tests normal. My cat is losing weight, vomiting, more vocal than normal, lethargic and hungry all... (9589 views)

Strange behavior in cat. Hello. My cat got hit by a car four months ago and had to have his tail... (10029 views)

Lump on dog's head. Within a week or two I noticed a bump on Badger's head (about center back behind... (28717 views)

Parvo and hookworms. Last Monday, I got this puppy, a miniature doxen. Well, the first few days he was a... (21910 views)

Does my dog have cushing's? Hi Dr. Marie, I took my almost 10 y/o lab to the vet because she has been waking... (5062 views)

Pink lump on puppy's belly. Dr, I noticed a wart-like bump on Max's abdomen. I am sending along... (74397 views)

6 month puppy drinks a lot. I got Bentley at 3 months old. Since the beginning I always felt as if he was... (26821 views)

Bumps on schnauzer. Hi Dr. Marie, Firstly, I'd like to thank you for this very valuable, yet... (22692 views)