Tapeworm and roundworm meds.

Breed: Siamese
Is it safe to give my cat praziquantel for his tapeworm 2 days after I gave him piperazine citrate for roundworm? The other day I believe I saw both types of worm, tape worm and round worm, in the fur surrounding his anus. This was day before yesterday, so I first gave him the Excel, which is the brand name of the piperozine. (I think I gave him around 250 mg)
Now I wonder if giving him his dose of tape worm tabs, the praziquantel, would hurt him. His dose amount would be 1 and 1/2 tablets at 23 mg per tablet. If I should not give him the tape worm meds so soon after the other, how long should I wait? Thanks.

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Recommended Tapeworm Medications for Cats

Hi there and thanks for your question.

It is indeed safe to give praziquantel and piperazine together (or closely together).

Most of the time if you are seeing little worms around the anus, they are more likely to be tapeworms. Cats get tapeworms either from eating an infected mouse or ingesting an infected flea. So, it is a good idea to look into flea prevention, especially if your cat is not a mouser.

Roundworms tend to look like long thin white spaghetti. If you think there may be roundworms, then it is good to give a second dose of medication 2 weeks after the first.

As far as dosages go, I can't legally advise you on that, but you should be following the label directions.

It's also a good idea to have your vet analyze a stool sample to be sure that there aren't any other parasites there as well.

I hope that helps!

Limping cat. We have an outside cat who is about 12 years old. Up until recently she has looked... (8420 views)

Herpes and sore mouth. My 2 year old short hair tabby was diagnosed with FHV quite early on.. he's been... (13255 views)

Skin lesion on gerbil. can you recommend a treatment for what appears to be a hot spot or skin irritation... (7245 views)

Pomeranian in pain. I have a 4 year old pom. All of a sudden, 3 weeks ago he started having abdominal... (15723 views)

Vomiting and red skin. Dr. Marie My buddy Bobber is sick. He is currently seeing a vet. I read a Q and A... (7164 views)

Cushing's and diabetes. My dog was diagnosed last month with cushings disease and diabetes. He's up to 14... (16763 views)

Ear cartilage broken. someone has broke the cartridge in my dogs ear by rubbing them hard. what can i do... (22247 views)

Tapeworm pictures in a dog. I just discovered my dog has worms in her poop. She sleeps on our bed and where she... (37108 views)

Itchy dog. Desirae was gave to us,she was dirty and i belive she was kept outside,when we got... (5938 views)

Epsom salt vs table salt. hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the... (15807 views)