Tapeworm and roundworm meds.

Breed: Siamese
Is it safe to give my cat praziquantel for his tapeworm 2 days after I gave him piperazine citrate for roundworm? The other day I believe I saw both types of worm, tape worm and round worm, in the fur surrounding his anus. This was day before yesterday, so I first gave him the Excel, which is the brand name of the piperozine. (I think I gave him around 250 mg)
Now I wonder if giving him his dose of tape worm tabs, the praziquantel, would hurt him. His dose amount would be 1 and 1/2 tablets at 23 mg per tablet. If I should not give him the tape worm meds so soon after the other, how long should I wait? Thanks.

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Recommended Tapeworm Medications for Cats

Hi there and thanks for your question.

It is indeed safe to give praziquantel and piperazine together (or closely together).

Most of the time if you are seeing little worms around the anus, they are more likely to be tapeworms. Cats get tapeworms either from eating an infected mouse or ingesting an infected flea. So, it is a good idea to look into flea prevention, especially if your cat is not a mouser.

Roundworms tend to look like long thin white spaghetti. If you think there may be roundworms, then it is good to give a second dose of medication 2 weeks after the first.

As far as dosages go, I can't legally advise you on that, but you should be following the label directions.

It's also a good idea to have your vet analyze a stool sample to be sure that there aren't any other parasites there as well.

I hope that helps!

Dog ate chocolate bar. Hello. In September 2009, we got a family pet. She was born on 9th of July 2009. So... (4388 views)

Swollen painful gums. Stomatitis? Other vets have been trying to figure out what is wrong, or how to help Yoko. Her... (12799 views)

Kitten has a cold and is congested. the kitten was found in the backyard, cold and all alone. He has what appears to be... (9745 views)

Bulldog losing hair. hello, I have a 3 year old english bulldog that has had skin issues since he was... (16773 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog has a hard time standing up from the sitting position. Occasionally, he will... (9901 views)

Sensitive tail and belly. My cat was spayed almost 5 months ago, and I've noticed since then, that she does... (3180 views)

Lump where umbilicus was. Hi, I have a kitten who is 4 weeks and a few days. Ive noticed today that where the... (13678 views)

Dog ate battery fluid. My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it... (13826 views)

Why did my dog die? I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping... (6098 views)

Heartworm and MDR1 I rrecently had both dogs genotyped for MDR1 mutation and both are positive. Bella... (4932 views)