Tapeworm and roundworm meds.

Breed: Siamese
Is it safe to give my cat praziquantel for his tapeworm 2 days after I gave him piperazine citrate for roundworm? The other day I believe I saw both types of worm, tape worm and round worm, in the fur surrounding his anus. This was day before yesterday, so I first gave him the Excel, which is the brand name of the piperozine. (I think I gave him around 250 mg)
Now I wonder if giving him his dose of tape worm tabs, the praziquantel, would hurt him. His dose amount would be 1 and 1/2 tablets at 23 mg per tablet. If I should not give him the tape worm meds so soon after the other, how long should I wait? Thanks.

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Recommended Tapeworm Medications for Cats

Hi there and thanks for your question.

It is indeed safe to give praziquantel and piperazine together (or closely together).

Most of the time if you are seeing little worms around the anus, they are more likely to be tapeworms. Cats get tapeworms either from eating an infected mouse or ingesting an infected flea. So, it is a good idea to look into flea prevention, especially if your cat is not a mouser.

Roundworms tend to look like long thin white spaghetti. If you think there may be roundworms, then it is good to give a second dose of medication 2 weeks after the first.

As far as dosages go, I can't legally advise you on that, but you should be following the label directions.

It's also a good idea to have your vet analyze a stool sample to be sure that there aren't any other parasites there as well.

I hope that helps!

Dog can't jump. My dog has a hard time standing up from the sitting position. Occasionally, he will... (13302 views)

Dog ate raisins. My 16lb. 10 month old beagle ate about 20-25 raisins yesterday at approx. 6pm and we... (141090 views)

Sore leg in a cat. I recently moved from a ranch house to townhouse(steps) in another city. Winston is... (32594 views)

How much water does a puppy drink? My dog is almost 9 months old and he drinks water all the time i often find him... (15243 views)

Fleas on a newborn kitten. My cat just had kittens and they have fleas. What can I do to get rid of fleas on... (8821 views)

Rabbit euthanasia questions. I had my bunny put down due to a spinal injury. The vet said they gave her gas to... (7198 views)

Puppy died suddenly. I came home after being gone for 3 hours. We have baby Pomeranians 6 weeks old. They... (20932 views)

Very sick puppy. Hi there So we bought a puppy from this lady a few days ago. The puppy was fine... (8995 views)

Severe liver problems. I took Dillinger to vet on Friday, and after a blood test and urine analysis the vet... (8389 views)

Red sores in front of cat's ear. Hi Dr. Haynes Thank you for offering this service and reviewing my question. My... (59141 views)