Tapeworm and roundworm meds.

Breed: Siamese
Is it safe to give my cat praziquantel for his tapeworm 2 days after I gave him piperazine citrate for roundworm? The other day I believe I saw both types of worm, tape worm and round worm, in the fur surrounding his anus. This was day before yesterday, so I first gave him the Excel, which is the brand name of the piperozine. (I think I gave him around 250 mg)
Now I wonder if giving him his dose of tape worm tabs, the praziquantel, would hurt him. His dose amount would be 1 and 1/2 tablets at 23 mg per tablet. If I should not give him the tape worm meds so soon after the other, how long should I wait? Thanks.

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Recommended Tapeworm Medications for Cats

Hi there and thanks for your question.

It is indeed safe to give praziquantel and piperazine together (or closely together).

Most of the time if you are seeing little worms around the anus, they are more likely to be tapeworms. Cats get tapeworms either from eating an infected mouse or ingesting an infected flea. So, it is a good idea to look into flea prevention, especially if your cat is not a mouser.

Roundworms tend to look like long thin white spaghetti. If you think there may be roundworms, then it is good to give a second dose of medication 2 weeks after the first.

As far as dosages go, I can't legally advise you on that, but you should be following the label directions.

It's also a good idea to have your vet analyze a stool sample to be sure that there aren't any other parasites there as well.

I hope that helps!

Pemphigus and prednisone. Dear Dr Marie I am from Nepal. It is a developing country with per capita income... (5125 views)

Unexplained liver problems. Dr. Marie, I have a now 14 year old yorkie with some complex medical issues and... (6717 views)

Cat pooping on floor. We have a male, neutered cat who is about 4 years old. He has been pooping on the... (10665 views)

Staggering Rottweiler I have a nine month old female rottweiler mix. She is eating nutro max dog food. She... (9268 views)

Incontinence she will be lying on the floor and she just pees and does not know or realize she... (8412 views)

Bump under eye - tooth abscess My dog has had an abscess on her face for a while, under her eye, but it hasn't... (15040 views)

Lack of bladder control. I HAVE A FEMALE COCKER SPANIEL WHO IS THE OFF SPRING OF MY OWN MALE AND FEMALE WHO... (15163 views)

Defecating out of her vagina. We found Clara abandoned next to our house a few days ago. Yesterday we found out... (8186 views)

Diarrhea in chihuahua. Hello. I need some help in trying to diagnose my 4 month old chihuahua puppy. Let me... (8354 views)

Paying for megacolon surgery. hello my cat has mega-colon my question is do you know of any place that might be... (8070 views)