Tapeworm and roundworm meds.

Breed: Siamese
Is it safe to give my cat praziquantel for his tapeworm 2 days after I gave him piperazine citrate for roundworm? The other day I believe I saw both types of worm, tape worm and round worm, in the fur surrounding his anus. This was day before yesterday, so I first gave him the Excel, which is the brand name of the piperozine. (I think I gave him around 250 mg)
Now I wonder if giving him his dose of tape worm tabs, the praziquantel, would hurt him. His dose amount would be 1 and 1/2 tablets at 23 mg per tablet. If I should not give him the tape worm meds so soon after the other, how long should I wait? Thanks.

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Recommended Tapeworm Medications for Cats

Hi there and thanks for your question.

It is indeed safe to give praziquantel and piperazine together (or closely together).

Most of the time if you are seeing little worms around the anus, they are more likely to be tapeworms. Cats get tapeworms either from eating an infected mouse or ingesting an infected flea. So, it is a good idea to look into flea prevention, especially if your cat is not a mouser.

Roundworms tend to look like long thin white spaghetti. If you think there may be roundworms, then it is good to give a second dose of medication 2 weeks after the first.

As far as dosages go, I can't legally advise you on that, but you should be following the label directions.

It's also a good idea to have your vet analyze a stool sample to be sure that there aren't any other parasites there as well.

I hope that helps!

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, My puppy won't eat and has a soft mushy stool. I just got him Yesterday. Could... (7337 views)

Both dogs having seizures I have 2 dogs. Molly the mixbreed started acting strange about a week ago. not... (9939 views)

Infection on leg. My dog has been licking his inner thigh to the point where it is very red and there... (17289 views)

Wobbly Boxer. My 3 year old boxer has been having some issues. He has always been very very clumsy... (9622 views)

Cyst on dog? My toy rat terrier chiuaua mix has a clear bumpy thing on her side just below her... (5333 views)

Albendazole for dogs. Can I use Albendazole to deworm my puppy? I have something called Valbazen. Thank... (39771 views)

Dog ate soap. My dog just ate a whole bar of soap? Do I need to be worried? It was Dove soap. ... (150888 views)

Pain in front leg. She has been limping, crying out to us, and holding up her front right leg. It... (5490 views)

Coughing kitten. I have a 6 wk old rescued kitten who in the past 2 days has developed a horrible... (12796 views)

Cat flung himself around. Hello about 2 weeks ago my 12 year old cat was sleeping soundly when he woke up... (5337 views)