Dog ate battery fluid.

Breed: Doberman
My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it however she definitely punctured it as there was acid on the floor. She has had explosive diarrhea but no vomiting. She has drank a lot of water. Should I take her to the vet or just monitor her?

If the battery is punctured, then yes, I would definitely have a vet take a look at her. Battery fluid is very corrosive and will do damage to the mouth, esophagus and stomach.

It is very important to start her immediately on medications to protect these areas. The vet will likely prescribe something called either sucralfate or sulcrate to help to protect these areas. In some cases they may also give some pain relievers as the damage done by the battery fluid can be quite painful.

There is of course a possibility that she didn't ingest any of the battery or the fluid, but it is much better to be safe rather than sorry!

Hope everything is ok!

Are bully sticks safe? My dog loves to chew on bully sticks. I think it's kind of gross that it is a... (15074 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (12148 views)

Parvo protection. Hi Dr, My Golden is 7 weeks now. I will be taking him home next week after he's... (42803 views)

arthritis in 17 year old dog I have a 17 year old female german shepard/black lab/collie mix that weighs 45... (55022 views)

Dog ate a grape. Hi, My 2 year old miniature schnauzer ate a red seedless grape about 20 minutes... (8171 views)

Bleeding from mouth. Hi Dr. Marie, What would cause recurrent tongue and gum ulcers in cats? Chuger is... (17741 views)

Cat won't use litter box. I have a 7 month old female cat, I have had her vet checked and she has no problems.... (6710 views)

Pimples on dog's stomach. Your Question: Edit Question Our dog suddenly got little pimple-like lesions all... (30066 views)

Geodon (ziprasidone) ingestion. My morkie may have ate a GEODON pill found on the floor. It was 60 mg. And it is an... (12555 views)

Teeth cleaning in cats. How important is it to clean your cats teeth and how would I go about it? My cat... (5221 views)