Dog ate battery fluid.

Breed: Doberman
My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it however she definitely punctured it as there was acid on the floor. She has had explosive diarrhea but no vomiting. She has drank a lot of water. Should I take her to the vet or just monitor her?

If the battery is punctured, then yes, I would definitely have a vet take a look at her. Battery fluid is very corrosive and will do damage to the mouth, esophagus and stomach.

It is very important to start her immediately on medications to protect these areas. The vet will likely prescribe something called either sucralfate or sulcrate to help to protect these areas. In some cases they may also give some pain relievers as the damage done by the battery fluid can be quite painful.

There is of course a possibility that she didn't ingest any of the battery or the fluid, but it is much better to be safe rather than sorry!

Hope everything is ok!

UTI and straining. I have a feral cat that hangs around my workplace. I have had him neutered. He also... (13257 views)

Pain in front leg. She has been limping, crying out to us, and holding up her front right leg. It... (7228 views)

Dog ate foam padding. Hi Dr, At 9pm last nite Max chewed open an office chair. He managed to swallow... (103518 views)

White tongue after neuter. My dog got neutered couple of days ago and seems to be recovering fine. He is eating... (10729 views)

Dried blood in ferret's ears. My ferret has dry blood in it's ears what does that... (14535 views)

Bumps over dog's body. My pug is having dry bumps on his body.. It's not paining him but yeah it's bit... (8513 views)

Will one grape hurt my dog? (113873 views)

Diethylene glycol in chicken jerky. Do you know of any of the Chicken Jerky do treats that are made in China, has been... (5393 views)

Pain meds after spay? Is it necessary to purchase antibiotics and pain meds after a dog has been... (20577 views)

Pink lump on puppy's belly. Dr, I noticed a wart-like bump on Max's abdomen. I am sending along... (79057 views)