Dog ate battery fluid.

Breed: Doberman
My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it however she definitely punctured it as there was acid on the floor. She has had explosive diarrhea but no vomiting. She has drank a lot of water. Should I take her to the vet or just monitor her?

If the battery is punctured, then yes, I would definitely have a vet take a look at her. Battery fluid is very corrosive and will do damage to the mouth, esophagus and stomach.

It is very important to start her immediately on medications to protect these areas. The vet will likely prescribe something called either sucralfate or sulcrate to help to protect these areas. In some cases they may also give some pain relievers as the damage done by the battery fluid can be quite painful.

There is of course a possibility that she didn't ingest any of the battery or the fluid, but it is much better to be safe rather than sorry!

Hope everything is ok!

Dog is walking funny, I have a 14 year old dog. About a year ago he lost most of his hearing. About 2... (45099 views)

UTI and straining. I have a feral cat that hangs around my workplace. I have had him neutered. He also... (12594 views)

Bleach got on dog's skin. Our child picked up some 2% bleach cleaning solution and sprayed it into our dog... (16319 views)

Blood pressure for a bird. What is a normal Blood pressure for an AFrican Grey Parrot her wing pressure was... (7558 views)

Hill's k/d for bladder stones Nigel developed kidney stones and had surgery to removed them and re-route the... (8370 views)

Coughing and sneezing dog. I have a three month old teacup Yorkie. He had a check up last week and got his... (27376 views)

Bruising after blood collection. I took my dog to get some shots earlier today and to get some tests done. They drew... (25382 views)

Parvo? My English Mastiff started vomiting on Friday. By Saturday he had extremely watery... (14239 views)

Crusty cat nipple. My 8 year old male cats nipple was hard and crusty. I pulled it and it came out and... (65226 views)

Are soy nuts bad for dogs? Are roasted soynuts safe for... (16058 views)