Dog ate battery fluid.

Breed: Doberman
My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it however she definitely punctured it as there was acid on the floor. She has had explosive diarrhea but no vomiting. She has drank a lot of water. Should I take her to the vet or just monitor her?

If the battery is punctured, then yes, I would definitely have a vet take a look at her. Battery fluid is very corrosive and will do damage to the mouth, esophagus and stomach.

It is very important to start her immediately on medications to protect these areas. The vet will likely prescribe something called either sucralfate or sulcrate to help to protect these areas. In some cases they may also give some pain relievers as the damage done by the battery fluid can be quite painful.

There is of course a possibility that she didn't ingest any of the battery or the fluid, but it is much better to be safe rather than sorry!

Hope everything is ok!

Dog leaps to her feet. Why does my 12 year old lame Siberian Husky suddenly leap to her feet and walk off.... (5071 views)

Muscle atrophy in a cat. Its been two weeks since my 13 yr old cat, Sweety, has been unable to walk and the 4... (15377 views)

Rat lost his brother. My rat has lost his brother will he be ok i am not getting another... (8173 views)

Dog has smelly ears. hiya my puppy has a smell coming from his ears its not strong but when you come... (3502 views)

Possible asthma My 7 year old cat has always had frequent hairballs. I have always suspected he had... (9059 views)

Shelter cats with infection. Hello My friend told me I should talk to you about what is going on at the animal... (2350 views)

Cat won't use litter box. I have a 7 month old female cat, I have had her vet checked and she has no problems.... (6309 views)

Possible diabetes My cat is very thirsty, he will run to the bathroom counter for a drink of water, he... (5581 views)

Do I have rabies? Hiii m rakesh..i was bitten by a dog when i was 18 years old. I dnt know that dog... (6609 views)

Can dogs drink tea? Can dogs drink tea? I have been told by quite a few people that it helps puppies to... (39518 views)