Dog ate battery fluid.

Breed: Doberman
My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it however she definitely punctured it as there was acid on the floor. She has had explosive diarrhea but no vomiting. She has drank a lot of water. Should I take her to the vet or just monitor her?

If the battery is punctured, then yes, I would definitely have a vet take a look at her. Battery fluid is very corrosive and will do damage to the mouth, esophagus and stomach.

It is very important to start her immediately on medications to protect these areas. The vet will likely prescribe something called either sucralfate or sulcrate to help to protect these areas. In some cases they may also give some pain relievers as the damage done by the battery fluid can be quite painful.

There is of course a possibility that she didn't ingest any of the battery or the fluid, but it is much better to be safe rather than sorry!

Hope everything is ok!

Bloddy vaginal discharge in a cat. My cat is bleeding from her vagina, she is not spayed and we don't believe she is... (5296 views)

Crusty sores on cat. I noticed Robin had a sore that seemed infected under the right side of his chin. I... (21322 views)

I'm out of prednisone. Sammy has been on 2.5mg of prednisone per day for the past two years for... (12274 views)

Stroke or brain tumor? I have been doing a lot of searching on the internet over the weekend and am glad... (6770 views)

Insulin shock Lucy is diabetic.She gets 4units 2x daily with food..Monday she started to have... (4395 views)

Cat licking his fur. Good evening, My 4 year old tuxedo cat has always been quite special (he meows... (8066 views)

Cat is sleeping a lot. My cat has been sleeping a lot in the last two days. Want play. Will eat a little.... (6258 views)

Severely scratching ears. I've taken my dog to 3 vets so far for "allergy" symptoms. His episodes start with... (8517 views)

Coughing and liver problems. Hi there! We are hoping that you can lend us some advice with our baby. Our... (8557 views)

Fly biting seizures. At night with the lights on, Misha snaps at the air as if she's catching flies.... (14619 views)