Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Dog ate battery fluid.

Species: Dog
Breed: Doberman
Age: 1-2 years
My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it however she definitely punctured it as there was acid on the floor. She has had explosive diarrhea but no vomiting. She has drank a lot of water. Should I take her to the vet or just monitor her?

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.
 

Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

If the battery is punctured, then yes, I would definitely have a vet take a look at her. Battery fluid is very corrosive and will do damage to the mouth, esophagus and stomach.

It is very important to start her immediately on medications to protect these areas. The vet will likely prescribe something called either sucralfate or sulcrate to help to protect these areas. In some cases they may also give some pain relievers as the damage done by the battery fluid can be quite painful.

There is of course a possibility that she didn't ingest any of the battery or the fluid, but it is much better to be safe rather than sorry!

Hope everything is ok!

Dr. Marie.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---



Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?


Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.
Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Why is my hamster biting me? My hamster bites me only when I take him out of his ball or exercise wheel. Even on... (8088 views)

Possible distemper or kennel cough. I adopted Bub from the SPCA on August 13 and he was taken to the Vet on Aug 17 for... (6109 views)

Milk coming out of squirrel's nose. I have an orphaned squirrel that doesn't have his eyes open yet. He has aspirated... (5668 views)

What kind of dog to get? My dog Toby died at the age of 14 2 moths ago.Me and my family r looking 4 a new... (4583 views)

Itchy rash near backside My dog has what looks like a rash on her right leg, near her backside and has been... (6649 views)

Is this a mouth tumor? Hi, Our cat has been doing poorly lately. She went for about a month eating once... (2281 views)

Vomiting kitten My 4 month old kitten was fine 3 days ago, then she suddenly regurgitated her... (10192 views)

Itchy hamster. What happens if my hamster is licking itself a lot of scratching itself? Also, what... (14380 views)

Blood in urine. I can not afford to take her to a vet...so here I am. I have just noticed while... (6663 views)

Heart enlargement? Hi I have a female terrier dog, Fido and she is 9 years old. Couple of months ago my... (2393 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.