Dog ate battery fluid.

Breed: Doberman
My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it however she definitely punctured it as there was acid on the floor. She has had explosive diarrhea but no vomiting. She has drank a lot of water. Should I take her to the vet or just monitor her?

If the battery is punctured, then yes, I would definitely have a vet take a look at her. Battery fluid is very corrosive and will do damage to the mouth, esophagus and stomach.

It is very important to start her immediately on medications to protect these areas. The vet will likely prescribe something called either sucralfate or sulcrate to help to protect these areas. In some cases they may also give some pain relievers as the damage done by the battery fluid can be quite painful.

There is of course a possibility that she didn't ingest any of the battery or the fluid, but it is much better to be safe rather than sorry!

Hope everything is ok!

Ovariectomy vs. Ovariohysterectomy. My beautiful little girl had a lump near one of her lower nipples last week. After... (8918 views)

vet question Dear Madame Veterinarian: Our Siberian has one of the best pedigrees we could've... (11897 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello, I have been grieving because a few days ago I had my cat euthanized. I am... (35249 views)

Brian tumor? Two months ago, my dog had his first seizure ever. He was taking Gabapentin (disc... (7568 views)

Tick Borne Disease. I took my dog to the vet on both Friday and Saturday. He has a fever. He has a... (11597 views)

Dark spot on eye. scooby recently has a darker spot on his pupil, other than that his health is... (29734 views)

Bladder surgery showed no cancer or stones. I am sorry in advance this is a little long. I just wanted to get the right... (12185 views)

Seborrheic dermatitis in Irish Setter. i have a 12yr old irish setter who has seborrheic dermatitis. she has the scaley... (13258 views)

Not using litter box. For the past several months she has decided to stop using the litter box to poop in.... (12805 views)

Dog bite wound. Hello, My dog got bit by a Pit bull on Saturday 9/1. I was not able to take him to... (14173 views)