Dog ate battery fluid.

Breed: Doberman
My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it however she definitely punctured it as there was acid on the floor. She has had explosive diarrhea but no vomiting. She has drank a lot of water. Should I take her to the vet or just monitor her?

If the battery is punctured, then yes, I would definitely have a vet take a look at her. Battery fluid is very corrosive and will do damage to the mouth, esophagus and stomach.

It is very important to start her immediately on medications to protect these areas. The vet will likely prescribe something called either sucralfate or sulcrate to help to protect these areas. In some cases they may also give some pain relievers as the damage done by the battery fluid can be quite painful.

There is of course a possibility that she didn't ingest any of the battery or the fluid, but it is much better to be safe rather than sorry!

Hope everything is ok!

Run over by car. we have a small part pomeranian dog, she old, but not sure how old. she was... (9741 views)

Itchy rash near backside My dog has what looks like a rash on her right leg, near her backside and has been... (8445 views)

Sick puppy. Our Westie puppy, Minnie, is 12 weeks old today. We got her 23 days ago. From Day... (9587 views)

Time for euthanasia? My 19 year old cat has been ill for some time. For many years I have had to help... (5634 views)

Senior cat losing weight. Hello, My cat is 11 or 12 years old (he was a rescue kitty I inherited, so I'm... (4852 views)

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (9365 views)

Hungry and losing weight. Our 17 year old indoor cat, one of two from the same litter, has always been skinny,... (10746 views)

Vomiting every time she eats. My cat is throwing up every time she eats, what is the... (17221 views)

Dog licking his penis. My dog was groomed today and is licking his penis excessively (even stopping during... (45197 views)

Licking at foot. About 4 years ago we had one front dewclaw removed, after ruby caught it on... (8091 views)