Dog ate battery fluid.

Breed: Doberman
My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it however she definitely punctured it as there was acid on the floor. She has had explosive diarrhea but no vomiting. She has drank a lot of water. Should I take her to the vet or just monitor her?

If the battery is punctured, then yes, I would definitely have a vet take a look at her. Battery fluid is very corrosive and will do damage to the mouth, esophagus and stomach.

It is very important to start her immediately on medications to protect these areas. The vet will likely prescribe something called either sucralfate or sulcrate to help to protect these areas. In some cases they may also give some pain relievers as the damage done by the battery fluid can be quite painful.

There is of course a possibility that she didn't ingest any of the battery or the fluid, but it is much better to be safe rather than sorry!

Hope everything is ok!

Lab is not eating. my dog is a labrador retriever and about 9 years old. he was a solid eater and never... (7687 views)

Itchy spot on thigh. my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and... (5636 views)

Hartz Ultra Guard for fleas? hello dr. marie, bear has fleas. i gave her a bath then treated her with hartz... (10578 views)

Daschund with sore neck. My dog was perfectly fine leading up to and on the day he received his vaccines. He... (8256 views)

Dripping blood. My 13 year old female, spayed,Doberman is in good health (with lots of benign... (28860 views)

Good cat foods. Hi Dr.! I'm currently a new cat owner. I found peachie wandering near the new... (15206 views)

Is this a flea problem? My small 3 year old in door cat very recently survived a bout with flea anemia. We... (9991 views)

Should I breed my dog? I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies... (4885 views)

Swelling by anus. King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked... (19943 views)

Bleeding after biopsy. My dog has been diagnosed with Cancer(hemangiosarcoma). The tiny hole were we... (13098 views)