Dog ate battery fluid.

Breed: Doberman
My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it however she definitely punctured it as there was acid on the floor. She has had explosive diarrhea but no vomiting. She has drank a lot of water. Should I take her to the vet or just monitor her?

If the battery is punctured, then yes, I would definitely have a vet take a look at her. Battery fluid is very corrosive and will do damage to the mouth, esophagus and stomach.

It is very important to start her immediately on medications to protect these areas. The vet will likely prescribe something called either sucralfate or sulcrate to help to protect these areas. In some cases they may also give some pain relievers as the damage done by the battery fluid can be quite painful.

There is of course a possibility that she didn't ingest any of the battery or the fluid, but it is much better to be safe rather than sorry!

Hope everything is ok!

Best ear cleaner? i would like to know which solution is better to use, oti-clens or... (4175 views)

Swollen eye in older cat. Hello - I have a 13-yr cat with renal issues (diagnosed 2 yrs ago) - but she has... (4128 views)

Dasuquin causing allergies. About 5 months ago, my dog injured his leg during a walk. I took him to the vet &... (6269 views)

Lumps on cat's abdomen. Cubbie recently (1 week) developed two fibrous (?) lumps, one on each side of her... (12405 views)

Myasthenia gravis I am grieving the loss of my beloved companion who was euthanized on May 18, 2011.... (16178 views)

Testicle tumor and incontinence. my 11 year old dog has a swollen testicle, (a friend told me it may be a tumor), he... (6096 views)

Lumps on dog's nose. Do you know what these bumps count be? He also has a bald spot under his eye. He is... (29706 views)

Pass away at home? Potter is almost 13. About 4 months ago he was diagnosed with diabetes and we... (5367 views)

Allergies or URTI? I was looking at the questions on cats, but couldn't find one that was close to what... (4761 views)

Costco Kirkland flea product Hello We have 2 American Bulldogs. We have been using Frontline for a few years... (8063 views)