Dog ate battery fluid.

Breed: Doberman
My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it however she definitely punctured it as there was acid on the floor. She has had explosive diarrhea but no vomiting. She has drank a lot of water. Should I take her to the vet or just monitor her?

If the battery is punctured, then yes, I would definitely have a vet take a look at her. Battery fluid is very corrosive and will do damage to the mouth, esophagus and stomach.

It is very important to start her immediately on medications to protect these areas. The vet will likely prescribe something called either sucralfate or sulcrate to help to protect these areas. In some cases they may also give some pain relievers as the damage done by the battery fluid can be quite painful.

There is of course a possibility that she didn't ingest any of the battery or the fluid, but it is much better to be safe rather than sorry!

Hope everything is ok!

Can a dog transmit HIV or hep c Hello, I know you've had a similar question before but I'm unsure about... (63100 views)

Quiet, sneezing dog. My Choc Lab is acting very listless, sneezing constantly, her nose is cold, is still... (21520 views)

Should I do these tests? I have two shih tzu's from the same litter. They were born on 1/29/09, so they are... (15515 views)

Lump near penis. I have a one year old male dashund dog. He got all his shots. For two days he... (9011 views)

Accidently cut dog's skin i was giving my dog a hair cut with a small pair of sissors and was trimming around... (19514 views)

Peeing in house. My cat has recently started urinating outside of her litter box again. She is about... (8016 views)

Abscess or Cancer? My 8 year old shih tzu had raptured disks surgery five months ago. He was on wheel... (8540 views)

Blood tinged urine. Dr. Marie, My cat does not pee in her litterbox. Instead she will pee right... (10913 views)

Head tremors and clingy dog. For the first time in 12 years my dog has started following me around obsessively... (8507 views)

Black dots in dog's ear. We recently realised there are black sesame seed like black dots in one of my dog's... (10603 views)