Dog ate battery fluid.

Breed: Doberman
My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it however she definitely punctured it as there was acid on the floor. She has had explosive diarrhea but no vomiting. She has drank a lot of water. Should I take her to the vet or just monitor her?

If the battery is punctured, then yes, I would definitely have a vet take a look at her. Battery fluid is very corrosive and will do damage to the mouth, esophagus and stomach.

It is very important to start her immediately on medications to protect these areas. The vet will likely prescribe something called either sucralfate or sulcrate to help to protect these areas. In some cases they may also give some pain relievers as the damage done by the battery fluid can be quite painful.

There is of course a possibility that she didn't ingest any of the battery or the fluid, but it is much better to be safe rather than sorry!

Hope everything is ok!

Small open wound on dog Our min pin lives out in country with us. We have enclosed 1/2 acre fenced area. She... (15362 views)

Hamster with cushing's disease hi a am mina. i have 10 hamester. Unfortunately "blaki" (my Hamster) Maybe have... (11073 views)

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (11223 views)

Vomiting dog. Our vet has told us that Lola won't digest all her food and empty her stomach in the... (8357 views)

Benadryl for allergies? Dear Dr. Marie, Sadie, my eight year old daschund has a skin condition that causes... (8059 views)

Allergic to greenies? My 11.5 year old pug/griffin mix dog has been having nasal/breathing issues for the... (10951 views)

Dog has itchy lumps my dog has lumps on her body and are a bit... (13424 views)

Connection between dandruff and diabetes? My pet has recently been diagnosed with Diabetes. She is on 5 units of insulin 2x... (18459 views)

Kennel Cough. Hello I am only 16 and my parents do not believe me on my concern for my dog. I do... (6966 views)

Swelling by anus. King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked... (21472 views)