Dog ate battery fluid.

Breed: Doberman
My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it however she definitely punctured it as there was acid on the floor. She has had explosive diarrhea but no vomiting. She has drank a lot of water. Should I take her to the vet or just monitor her?

If the battery is punctured, then yes, I would definitely have a vet take a look at her. Battery fluid is very corrosive and will do damage to the mouth, esophagus and stomach.

It is very important to start her immediately on medications to protect these areas. The vet will likely prescribe something called either sucralfate or sulcrate to help to protect these areas. In some cases they may also give some pain relievers as the damage done by the battery fluid can be quite painful.

There is of course a possibility that she didn't ingest any of the battery or the fluid, but it is much better to be safe rather than sorry!

Hope everything is ok!

Hair loss in hamster I have a syrian hamster which is about two and a half years old. He as been losing... (9447 views)

Pimple on ear. My dog has a pimple on his ear. Its on the inside flap. It only bother him when i... (17111 views)

Green and black teeth. My Basenji is 14 years old, has green/black teeth in the back. He has started... (16710 views)

Time to put dog to sleep? My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost... (9059 views)

Can't get rid of fleas. Lately my dog has been non stop scratching and biting his skin. His skin becomes... (10289 views)

Why did my dog die? I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping... (9923 views)

Cat is burnt on belly. My cat seems to have a burnt patch on her belly. I don't know if this is from... (12063 views)

Scabs on cat's ear and neck. Hi. I adopted a cat and she was doing fine. I noticed that she was loosing hair in... (21961 views)

Unexplained fever in a dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My pit bull Indy has always been in pretty good health but has... (11893 views)

Reduce allergies to cats. I'm allergic to cats but I would love to have one. I've recently heard that there is... (10528 views)