Lump on dog's neck.

Breed: Mixed Staffordshire
Hi Dr Marie

We have a 4 year old female mixed breed dog. Two years ago she had a stick that went into her mouth. Since then she has always had a small lump under her throat which has never caused her pain.

However in the last week the lump has grown to the size of a small tennis ball. The dog is in no pain and is acting normally, is eating healthy and exercising daily.

She sleeps normal, drinks water, and we cannot notice any significant physical changes.

The lump is concerning and you can see from the image here

lump on dog

And a three second video here

Unfortunately the vet service here is Sweden is somewhat shocking and we are unlikely to get our dog into a vets this week due to public holidays and also horses seem to take precedence over dogs in our area.

I am thinking that as our dog is not in too much pain it could be Lipoma? Any advice would be greatly beneficial as were really in a fix!

Thanks

Dean

Thank you for providing the picture and video. This makes questions so much easier to answer!

Keep in mind that I can't give you an official diagnosis over the internet, but I can definitely give you my thoughts.

I think there is a good possibility that this is an abscess. It is a really common area to see an abscess on a dog. It may be related to the stick incident, or it may be from something else such as a bite or a wound. Often we don't know why they are there.

You would think an abscess would be painful, but they aren't always.

A lipoma is possible, but this is not a normal spot to see a lipoma.

This doesn't look like a situation where you need to rush in to the vet right away. But, if it's possible to have him seen this week this would be good.

Your vet will likely put a needle into the lump and see what is inside. An abscess should be filled with pus.

If it is an abscess, then your vet will prescribe some antibiotics. Sometimes this does the trick. However, often when an animal has an abscess they will not fully heal it unless the abscess is opened up and flushed out. This is probably a good idea to do, especially considering that there has been a lump there ever since she had a stick in her mouth. It's possible that there is a small piece of wood in the middle of that abscess.

If this abscess is opened it's something that will need to be done under a general anesthetic.

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (7430 views)

Milk coming out of squirrel's nose. I have an orphaned squirrel that doesn't have his eyes open yet. He has aspirated... (12660 views)

Sneezing dog. My 1 year old Chihuahua has been sneezing and reverse sneezing for the last couple... (26579 views)

Pooping in house. I got my dog Clyde on June 25, 2012. He is a 4 year-old Lhasa. His previous owners... (11690 views)

Older cat with congestion. First, thank u for your input on my cami that past on previous question.my husband... (6466 views)

Cat died. Dear Doctor Haynes, I started looking after a stray young tomcat (who I presume... (7630 views)

Beagle Pain Syndrome? My 10 year old beagle in November had an ear infection that caused him to develop... (20715 views)

Can I deworm a nursing female dog? BB is nursing 3 week old pups,can she be wormed while... (42727 views)

Bruising on neck. My mini dachshund went in for a dental cleaning, which the vet said went as normal.... (12693 views)

Kitten has a cold and is congested. the kitten was found in the backyard, cold and all alone. He has what appears to be... (12429 views)