Lump on dog's neck.

Breed: Mixed Staffordshire
Hi Dr Marie

We have a 4 year old female mixed breed dog. Two years ago she had a stick that went into her mouth. Since then she has always had a small lump under her throat which has never caused her pain.

However in the last week the lump has grown to the size of a small tennis ball. The dog is in no pain and is acting normally, is eating healthy and exercising daily.

She sleeps normal, drinks water, and we cannot notice any significant physical changes.

The lump is concerning and you can see from the image here

lump on dog

And a three second video here

Unfortunately the vet service here is Sweden is somewhat shocking and we are unlikely to get our dog into a vets this week due to public holidays and also horses seem to take precedence over dogs in our area.

I am thinking that as our dog is not in too much pain it could be Lipoma? Any advice would be greatly beneficial as were really in a fix!

Thanks

Dean

Thank you for providing the picture and video. This makes questions so much easier to answer!

Keep in mind that I can't give you an official diagnosis over the internet, but I can definitely give you my thoughts.

I think there is a good possibility that this is an abscess. It is a really common area to see an abscess on a dog. It may be related to the stick incident, or it may be from something else such as a bite or a wound. Often we don't know why they are there.

You would think an abscess would be painful, but they aren't always.

A lipoma is possible, but this is not a normal spot to see a lipoma.

This doesn't look like a situation where you need to rush in to the vet right away. But, if it's possible to have him seen this week this would be good.

Your vet will likely put a needle into the lump and see what is inside. An abscess should be filled with pus.

If it is an abscess, then your vet will prescribe some antibiotics. Sometimes this does the trick. However, often when an animal has an abscess they will not fully heal it unless the abscess is opened up and flushed out. This is probably a good idea to do, especially considering that there has been a lump there ever since she had a stick in her mouth. It's possible that there is a small piece of wood in the middle of that abscess.

If this abscess is opened it's something that will need to be done under a general anesthetic.

Vomiting puppy. My 30 day old Lab is pukes when I feed him milk and I think is dehydrated as his... (11970 views)

Best cat foods. One cat is 13 pounds and 7 years old. He is heavy, but it doesn't look or feel like... (5384 views)

Dog leaking urine. Aud is 5 year old black mini poodle. The past 3 days she is leaking urine. She is... (20949 views)

Getting cat to lose weight. Dear Dr Marie, We have just adopted a fat cat, and are trying to reduce his weight.... (6108 views)

Vacuolar hepatopathy. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's elevated bile acid... (20225 views)

Why is my dog limping? hello we have just woke up this morning and found my american bulldog limping on his... (41467 views)

UTI and straining. I have a feral cat that hangs around my workplace. I have had him neutered. He also... (13382 views)

Great Dane not eating. Dr. Marie, my dog molly just recently started not eating dog food or drinking and... (11145 views)

Seizures and not eating. Earlier in the week Cash had a pee/poop/vomit fest in the house, unusual for him. ... (8368 views)

Itchy dog. Hi Dr Marie, Recall my email a couple of weeks ago about Max and his... (8416 views)