Lump on dog's neck.

Breed: Mixed Staffordshire
Hi Dr Marie

We have a 4 year old female mixed breed dog. Two years ago she had a stick that went into her mouth. Since then she has always had a small lump under her throat which has never caused her pain.

However in the last week the lump has grown to the size of a small tennis ball. The dog is in no pain and is acting normally, is eating healthy and exercising daily.

She sleeps normal, drinks water, and we cannot notice any significant physical changes.

The lump is concerning and you can see from the image here

lump on dog

And a three second video here

Unfortunately the vet service here is Sweden is somewhat shocking and we are unlikely to get our dog into a vets this week due to public holidays and also horses seem to take precedence over dogs in our area.

I am thinking that as our dog is not in too much pain it could be Lipoma? Any advice would be greatly beneficial as were really in a fix!

Thanks

Dean

Thank you for providing the picture and video. This makes questions so much easier to answer!

Keep in mind that I can't give you an official diagnosis over the internet, but I can definitely give you my thoughts.

I think there is a good possibility that this is an abscess. It is a really common area to see an abscess on a dog. It may be related to the stick incident, or it may be from something else such as a bite or a wound. Often we don't know why they are there.

You would think an abscess would be painful, but they aren't always.

A lipoma is possible, but this is not a normal spot to see a lipoma.

This doesn't look like a situation where you need to rush in to the vet right away. But, if it's possible to have him seen this week this would be good.

Your vet will likely put a needle into the lump and see what is inside. An abscess should be filled with pus.

If it is an abscess, then your vet will prescribe some antibiotics. Sometimes this does the trick. However, often when an animal has an abscess they will not fully heal it unless the abscess is opened up and flushed out. This is probably a good idea to do, especially considering that there has been a lump there ever since she had a stick in her mouth. It's possible that there is a small piece of wood in the middle of that abscess.

If this abscess is opened it's something that will need to be done under a general anesthetic.

Too young for euthanasia? Is there an age too young for... (6558 views)

Panleukopenia vaccine. we have two 12 week old kittens. last week we looked after two 7 week old kittens... (9982 views)

Swelling on neck. I just noticed that when my dog barks the right side of her neck swells about 1-2... (5957 views)

Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas? Hi, I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was... (23950 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting in kittens. Hello Marie, thanks in advance. (Sorry for the English we are from Finland)... (6669 views)

Cat losing clumps of fur Our beloved 9 yo old male cat Gretzkey is ripping his hair out in clumps. Our house... (44424 views)

Cat can't put weight on leg. hi basil got away from me last night down near the woods he returned about 30 mins... (23690 views)

Lump under arm of puppy. We have a 10 week old puppy. He got his first set of vaccinations one week ago. ... (17576 views)

Ear cartilage broken. someone has broke the cartridge in my dogs ear by rubbing them hard. what can i do... (25610 views)

Cracked Toe Nail. My dog cracked his nail horizontally at the base of the nail. Is there something I... (11401 views)