Tubes in dogs ears?

Breed: english bulldog
our bulldog has bad problems with his ears they are almost swollen shut. our vet recomends surgery on his ears but we where wondering if tubes were an option or if you do that? he is really suffering with this problem.what would you suggest??

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Romeo is having a problem with his ears. Bulldogs are gorgeous dogs, but they can have so many health issues!

If a dog has such severe ear problems that their ear canals are almost completely closed then one of the best things that we can do for them is a surgery to open the ear...this is called a total ear canal ablation. There is a good description here of a total ear canal ablation. It sounds drastic but it almost always works really well.

We really don't use tubes in dogs' ears.

I have had some dogs with extremely swollen ears that have responded well to medications such as steroids. However, if your vet is suggesting surgery, then most likely you guys have tried a number of ear medications already.

While I can't say for certain what you need to do, as I can't examine your little guy, if he is this young and already having such an extreme problem with his ears, it sounds like your vet is giving you sound advice by advising surgery.

Sick after neuter. On March 26, 2012 I took my two dogs and my friend’s dog to get spayed and... (15871 views)

Sudden death in papillon My Doctor, I had a six year old female Papillon. She was in seemingly perfect and... (7495 views)

Bump on dog's ear. Hi Dr. Marie My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2... (62673 views)

Is parvo contagious? I am sorry to have to ask this for free. I have been unemployed for over a year now.... (8479 views)

Rectovaginal fistula. We have a litter of 4 wk old Doberman puppies being bottle raised because mom was... (10443 views)

Hamster cough. Do hamsters have to have a special treatment when they have got a... (9822 views)

Kitten got head caught in door. The kitten got its head caught in the pantry door as it was closing. It seems to... (19144 views)

Ovarian remnant Hi, We have a spayed cat that has been showing signs of being on heat on and off... (9866 views)

Milk for cat? Is milk good for a one month old... (6724 views)

Cat is sneezing a lot. I have a two year old cat. I adopted her from a shelter last December. When I... (29914 views)