Tubes in dogs ears?

Breed: english bulldog
our bulldog has bad problems with his ears they are almost swollen shut. our vet recomends surgery on his ears but we where wondering if tubes were an option or if you do that? he is really suffering with this problem.what would you suggest??

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Romeo is having a problem with his ears. Bulldogs are gorgeous dogs, but they can have so many health issues!

If a dog has such severe ear problems that their ear canals are almost completely closed then one of the best things that we can do for them is a surgery to open the ear...this is called a total ear canal ablation. There is a good description here of a total ear canal ablation. It sounds drastic but it almost always works really well.

We really don't use tubes in dogs' ears.

I have had some dogs with extremely swollen ears that have responded well to medications such as steroids. However, if your vet is suggesting surgery, then most likely you guys have tried a number of ear medications already.

While I can't say for certain what you need to do, as I can't examine your little guy, if he is this young and already having such an extreme problem with his ears, it sounds like your vet is giving you sound advice by advising surgery.

Xylitol in fruit toxic to dogs? Hello Dr. Marie, I've recently become very aware of the dangers of xylitol with... (28787 views)

Horrible euthanasia. Lucy has had steroid injections for the last 18 months due to loss of fur and skin... (4598 views)

Diarrhea and pale gums in a kitten. My cat has dirra for about two week i have notice his gum is pale pink what should... (8893 views)

Hypothyroidism in Sheltie. Hi My dog had a thyroid test and the results came back as .8 which he said was low... (6539 views)

Did neutering affect dog's bladder? My dog is 10 months old and was neutered 3 weeks ago. He was on antibiotics prior to... (17016 views)

Ear cropping for boxers? should a boxers ear be cut off or let them grow? and my pets name is not any of your... (7550 views)

Dog ate moldy food. I know its likely my question won't get answered, and this is a question that can't... (25969 views)

Rottweiler urinating frequently. my dog has getting let out all the time and and and recently she has been weeing... (7036 views)

Balding legs Two month old Freddie was a rescue with mites. He went through the sulphur bath... (7476 views)

Low specific gravity. This is regarding a 9 year old male pitbull, neutered with no past medical history.... (5412 views)