Tubes in dogs ears?

Breed: english bulldog
our bulldog has bad problems with his ears they are almost swollen shut. our vet recomends surgery on his ears but we where wondering if tubes were an option or if you do that? he is really suffering with this problem.what would you suggest??

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Romeo is having a problem with his ears. Bulldogs are gorgeous dogs, but they can have so many health issues!

If a dog has such severe ear problems that their ear canals are almost completely closed then one of the best things that we can do for them is a surgery to open the ear...this is called a total ear canal ablation. There is a good description here of a total ear canal ablation. It sounds drastic but it almost always works really well.

We really don't use tubes in dogs' ears.

I have had some dogs with extremely swollen ears that have responded well to medications such as steroids. However, if your vet is suggesting surgery, then most likely you guys have tried a number of ear medications already.

While I can't say for certain what you need to do, as I can't examine your little guy, if he is this young and already having such an extreme problem with his ears, it sounds like your vet is giving you sound advice by advising surgery.

Meibomian gland adenoma? This past week Murphy (4 year old Irish Setter) developed what I thought was a small... (226038 views)

Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky. Has anyone had a problem with Nature’s Deli chicken Jerky Dog Treats (from Denver,... (6476 views)

Swollen neck on a cat. my 4 month old male cat, desexed vaccinated and everything one more shot to go tho.... (5328 views)

D-Con mice bait ingested. 75 to 80 lb dog ingested D-con mice bait, eliminated it all in bowel movement,... (17323 views)

Infection on leg. My dog has been licking his inner thigh to the point where it is very red and there... (17624 views)

Not eating and tired cat. My kitty is a very playful cat. Runs, jumps and cuddles all day long. He is looking... (48582 views)

Mass in cat's chest? Hello, My cat, a sterilized indoor-living Japanese Bobtail, is now 4 years old... (17452 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is almost 18 years old and he has kidney disease. He is on a special diet my... (6927 views)

Cat with green patch on skin. first i would like to thank you for your time. When my cat was a kitten i thought... (13737 views)

Crying after using litter box. After my cat eats, drinks, gets up or uses the cat box she cries this very strange... (23588 views)