Tubes in dogs ears?

Breed: english bulldog
our bulldog has bad problems with his ears they are almost swollen shut. our vet recomends surgery on his ears but we where wondering if tubes were an option or if you do that? he is really suffering with this problem.what would you suggest??

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Romeo is having a problem with his ears. Bulldogs are gorgeous dogs, but they can have so many health issues!

If a dog has such severe ear problems that their ear canals are almost completely closed then one of the best things that we can do for them is a surgery to open the ear...this is called a total ear canal ablation. There is a good description here of a total ear canal ablation. It sounds drastic but it almost always works really well.

We really don't use tubes in dogs' ears.

I have had some dogs with extremely swollen ears that have responded well to medications such as steroids. However, if your vet is suggesting surgery, then most likely you guys have tried a number of ear medications already.

While I can't say for certain what you need to do, as I can't examine your little guy, if he is this young and already having such an extreme problem with his ears, it sounds like your vet is giving you sound advice by advising surgery.

Constipated cat. For the past 2 weeks or so, my cat has been having some constipation. I think it... (16639 views)

Worms in stool. My dogs stool has a lot of worms in it. My Mom's friends takes care of a lot of... (15775 views)

Weight loss in cat. My cat use to be really overweight. About a year ago he started to get sick a lot... (7135 views)

Red swollen paw. My cat's paw is red and swollen. The middle toes are swelling so they appear to be... (16970 views)

Expensive fecal exam. Hello Dr. Marie, My question is about a vet bill that I got yesterday and I... (37748 views)

Is my cat in heat? i have a female cat who is 1 1/2 years old she isn't spayed and has gone in heat... (9130 views)

Lavender plant bad for dogs and cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Can you tell me if a lavender plant is toxic to cats and dogs? I... (50841 views)

Rottweiler can't stand. Hello, We have a 13 year old Rott who was diagnosed with arthritis of the spine. ... (27557 views)

Dog drinking and panting lots. my dog has been drinking and panting a lot since i changed his dog food last summer.... (11783 views)

Vaccines in Nunavut. Hi, We live in the high arctic and don't have access to vet services and thus... (5050 views)