Tubes in dogs ears?

Breed: english bulldog
our bulldog has bad problems with his ears they are almost swollen shut. our vet recomends surgery on his ears but we where wondering if tubes were an option or if you do that? he is really suffering with this problem.what would you suggest??

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Romeo is having a problem with his ears. Bulldogs are gorgeous dogs, but they can have so many health issues!

If a dog has such severe ear problems that their ear canals are almost completely closed then one of the best things that we can do for them is a surgery to open the ear...this is called a total ear canal ablation. There is a good description here of a total ear canal ablation. It sounds drastic but it almost always works really well.

We really don't use tubes in dogs' ears.

I have had some dogs with extremely swollen ears that have responded well to medications such as steroids. However, if your vet is suggesting surgery, then most likely you guys have tried a number of ear medications already.

While I can't say for certain what you need to do, as I can't examine your little guy, if he is this young and already having such an extreme problem with his ears, it sounds like your vet is giving you sound advice by advising surgery.

Died after bloat surgery. My dog became sick early Friday morning (2am) and vomited 3 times between 2am and... (18694 views)

Down in the hock. Hello, About two weeks ago I came home from being away a couple of hours and... (6654 views)

Dog ate vetoryl My younger dog ate some food that had vetoryl in it meant for my older dog. Will it... (17340 views)

Chihuahua fell from couch. Hello. I have a sweet, loving, happy, and spoiled female chihuahua, weighing about... (10950 views)

Swollen penis Charlie's penis is enlarged and pussing but the puss is not excessive. I really... (53005 views)

Puppy has diarrhea. i just aquired a 7 month old german shepard/lab mix (already 60 lbs) a week ago and... (17213 views)

Itchy dog. This is a follow on of a question past #2740. Choo Choo's itch has continued all... (7283 views)

Infected wound? Hi, my cat is indoor and outdoor (she has the face of an Egyptian Mau & its head... (3560 views)

Lump after vaccines. ...Hello! My name is Jessie and I have a Teacup Chihuhua named Zeep. He is about 10... (15234 views)

Recessed vulva I have a customer that claims the dog she bought from me has perivulvar pyoderma. ... (27760 views)