Tubes in dogs ears?

Breed: english bulldog
our bulldog has bad problems with his ears they are almost swollen shut. our vet recomends surgery on his ears but we where wondering if tubes were an option or if you do that? he is really suffering with this problem.what would you suggest??

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Romeo is having a problem with his ears. Bulldogs are gorgeous dogs, but they can have so many health issues!

If a dog has such severe ear problems that their ear canals are almost completely closed then one of the best things that we can do for them is a surgery to open the ear...this is called a total ear canal ablation. There is a good description here of a total ear canal ablation. It sounds drastic but it almost always works really well.

We really don't use tubes in dogs' ears.

I have had some dogs with extremely swollen ears that have responded well to medications such as steroids. However, if your vet is suggesting surgery, then most likely you guys have tried a number of ear medications already.

While I can't say for certain what you need to do, as I can't examine your little guy, if he is this young and already having such an extreme problem with his ears, it sounds like your vet is giving you sound advice by advising surgery.

Scabs on cat's back. For a couple of months now, I’ve noticed my cat has been trying to scratch her... (175247 views)

Dog licking at penis. Hi doc- Little background- Austin is 4- very active, outgoing. He has Addison's... (264116 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma questions. Hello Dr. Marie, What is the typical procedure to removal meibomian gland... (15613 views)

Wobbly after back surgery. My little dog, pumpkin, had surgery for a 'blown disc' 2-1/2 years. She attempts to... (8087 views)

Feline leukemia contagious? I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it... (8416 views)

Cat ate vitamin D3. I believe my cat accidentally ingested a 1000iu capsule of Vitamin D3 I read your... (27816 views)

Why did my cat die? Hello, The other day, our cat Misty (she would have been 16-years-old next month)... (13232 views)

Ear cropping for boxers? should a boxers ear be cut off or let them grow? and my pets name is not any of your... (8365 views)

Phenobarb shortage? my vet just informed me the phenobarbital my dog take is going up 600% in price...is... (13730 views)

Lumps on dog's ear. Rocky has three very small bumps on the inside of the flap of his ear. They have... (29506 views)