Diarrhea and not eating.

Breed: saluki
My saluki started with a foul smelling yellow diarrhea. Then she slowly stopped eating. now she does not eat or drink. I have been giving her water in a dropper. Went to the vet sunday she had blood tests for parasites, a wellness profile, x-rays and fecal test. They hydrated her and sent us home. All tests were negative. Went back to the vet on monday her regular vet. He check her mouth throat stomach looked at all the test and gave her a shot for the diarrhea and metronidazole tables twice a day. She has interest in food but will not take it and will not drink. Im am panicking now. I am going to call my vet again when they open but I feel so helpless.

I'm sorry to hear that Portia is unwell. It really does sound like she is quite sick. I have had cases like this where every test comes up negative but the dog is still obviously sick. Sometimes the cause of diarrhea can be hard to detect.

At this point, the vet will likely want to consider some in hospital treatment such as intravenous fluids over a period of a couple of days.

This could be something like a bacterial infection or gastroenteritis because of something she ate.

However, I get concerned when an older dog is this sick and doesn't want to eat or drink. It can mean that there is some type of serious underlying condition. While most underlying conditions can be detected with the tests that she had done, some types of conditions such as intestinal cancers may not.

I wish I could offer you some advice on things that you can do but by far the best advice I can give is to have your vet see her again.

I hope things work out ok!

We did go back to her vet and did an MRI. It showed nodes. We are going today to an oncologist for advice and more tests. Thanks. She did eat some today and drank a half a bowl of water this morning

Oh, I am sorry to hear that her lymph nodes are increased. Sometimes this can be because of some widespread infection. However, cancer has to be a concern as well. :(

No they have not worked out she is dying

Wobbly after seizure. hello, I have a 4 year old husky mix who is epelectic. Hes on phenobarbital and... (38896 views)

Rabbit with maggots Our rabbit was not eating and was shaking this morning. We discovered there were... (10076 views)

Rapid breathing while sleeping. I own a white female boxer. She born in oct. 30,2009. I notice when she's sleeping... (13643 views)

Myasthenia gravis I am grieving the loss of my beloved companion who was euthanized on May 18, 2011.... (21155 views)

Pitbull is itchy. I have a 4 year old pitbull/lab mix that has been scratching and biting at herself.... (49692 views)

Interview tips for veterinary technicians. I actually had a question not related to a pet, if that is okay. What advice would... (6054 views)

Interstitial cystitis. My cat has had reoccurring Cystitis. She strains when going to the toilet,... (5312 views)

Possible degenerative myelopathy. Hi Dr. Marie, My 11 year old German shepherd has been taking prevacox, tramedol,... (30983 views)

Peeing in house. My cat has recently started urinating outside of her litter box again. She is about... (8120 views)

Cat has vomiting and diarrhea. Hi my cat is about one year old and we feed him and give him water everday but he... (13160 views)