Diarrhea and not eating.

Breed: saluki
My saluki started with a foul smelling yellow diarrhea. Then she slowly stopped eating. now she does not eat or drink. I have been giving her water in a dropper. Went to the vet sunday she had blood tests for parasites, a wellness profile, x-rays and fecal test. They hydrated her and sent us home. All tests were negative. Went back to the vet on monday her regular vet. He check her mouth throat stomach looked at all the test and gave her a shot for the diarrhea and metronidazole tables twice a day. She has interest in food but will not take it and will not drink. Im am panicking now. I am going to call my vet again when they open but I feel so helpless.

I'm sorry to hear that Portia is unwell. It really does sound like she is quite sick. I have had cases like this where every test comes up negative but the dog is still obviously sick. Sometimes the cause of diarrhea can be hard to detect.

At this point, the vet will likely want to consider some in hospital treatment such as intravenous fluids over a period of a couple of days.

This could be something like a bacterial infection or gastroenteritis because of something she ate.

However, I get concerned when an older dog is this sick and doesn't want to eat or drink. It can mean that there is some type of serious underlying condition. While most underlying conditions can be detected with the tests that she had done, some types of conditions such as intestinal cancers may not.

I wish I could offer you some advice on things that you can do but by far the best advice I can give is to have your vet see her again.

I hope things work out ok!

We did go back to her vet and did an MRI. It showed nodes. We are going today to an oncologist for advice and more tests. Thanks. She did eat some today and drank a half a bowl of water this morning

Oh, I am sorry to hear that her lymph nodes are increased. Sometimes this can be because of some widespread infection. However, cancer has to be a concern as well. :(

No they have not worked out she is dying

Antibiotics for stuffed up nose. Hello again Dr. Marie, writing again about our dog Sparky and have some questions.... (6249 views)

Hamster biting leg Hi Iam a newbe to the whole dwaf hamster thing so I have this six week year old... (14385 views)

Dog eats grass and vomits Hi Marie! My Germen Spitz(male) eats some grass while he is out and vomits.Avoids... (10053 views)

Epsom salt vs table salt. hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the... (16281 views)

Should this tumor be removed? My neice's 8-month old cavoodle has a growth on his shoulder. When we first noticed... (13903 views)

Wound on dog's ear. Hello, my puppy has a tiny hole underneath his ear flap. It's red and I worry its... (16137 views)

Hole on puppy's head. My german shepherd gave birth to 9 puppies on June 19, however 1 pup came out with a... (15728 views)

Black spot on dog's chest. My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it... (35574 views)

Yellow fluid from nose. Dr. Marie, My male pug, aged 10, stuck with a piece of apple last night (29/1), I... (6468 views)

Older dog - bloody diarrhea. My dog is a 12 1/2 yr old cocker spaniel/golden retriever mix. She's had diarrhea... (38718 views)