Diarrhea and not eating.

Breed: saluki
My saluki started with a foul smelling yellow diarrhea. Then she slowly stopped eating. now she does not eat or drink. I have been giving her water in a dropper. Went to the vet sunday she had blood tests for parasites, a wellness profile, x-rays and fecal test. They hydrated her and sent us home. All tests were negative. Went back to the vet on monday her regular vet. He check her mouth throat stomach looked at all the test and gave her a shot for the diarrhea and metronidazole tables twice a day. She has interest in food but will not take it and will not drink. Im am panicking now. I am going to call my vet again when they open but I feel so helpless.

I'm sorry to hear that Portia is unwell. It really does sound like she is quite sick. I have had cases like this where every test comes up negative but the dog is still obviously sick. Sometimes the cause of diarrhea can be hard to detect.

At this point, the vet will likely want to consider some in hospital treatment such as intravenous fluids over a period of a couple of days.

This could be something like a bacterial infection or gastroenteritis because of something she ate.

However, I get concerned when an older dog is this sick and doesn't want to eat or drink. It can mean that there is some type of serious underlying condition. While most underlying conditions can be detected with the tests that she had done, some types of conditions such as intestinal cancers may not.

I wish I could offer you some advice on things that you can do but by far the best advice I can give is to have your vet see her again.

I hope things work out ok!

We did go back to her vet and did an MRI. It showed nodes. We are going today to an oncologist for advice and more tests. Thanks. She did eat some today and drank a half a bowl of water this morning

Oh, I am sorry to hear that her lymph nodes are increased. Sometimes this can be because of some widespread infection. However, cancer has to be a concern as well. :(

No they have not worked out she is dying

Sudden death in papillon My Doctor, I had a six year old female Papillon. She was in seemingly perfect and... (11455 views)

Is mammary tumor cancerous? I'm wondering whether to remove a small tumor from my 7 yr old chihuahua/dachshund's... (7540 views)

Sick shih tzu Hello, I have a question about my 2 and a half year old shit-zu. yesterday, after... (16881 views)

Relation of weight to skin problems. I understand that you are a very busy person but i am currently inrolled in the... (9232 views)

Euthanasia question. Sad day! I had to put my beloved Angel to sleep. Still unnerved by what happened. ... (7611 views)

Cat vomited 5 times. I came home this morning and i found about 5 vomit spots in my living room. when i... (48128 views)

Can a dog transmit Hep C? Recently my nephew was bitten by a k-9 dog in a mistaken identity situation. My... (22459 views)

Not eating losing weight. Age: 13 months Weight: 8 1/2 pounds He was 9 pounds, but lost half a pound in May.... (7292 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 10 week old OES pup, male. He is in good weight, healthy... (18629 views)

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (9494 views)