Diarrhea and not eating.

Breed: saluki
My saluki started with a foul smelling yellow diarrhea. Then she slowly stopped eating. now she does not eat or drink. I have been giving her water in a dropper. Went to the vet sunday she had blood tests for parasites, a wellness profile, x-rays and fecal test. They hydrated her and sent us home. All tests were negative. Went back to the vet on monday her regular vet. He check her mouth throat stomach looked at all the test and gave her a shot for the diarrhea and metronidazole tables twice a day. She has interest in food but will not take it and will not drink. Im am panicking now. I am going to call my vet again when they open but I feel so helpless.

I'm sorry to hear that Portia is unwell. It really does sound like she is quite sick. I have had cases like this where every test comes up negative but the dog is still obviously sick. Sometimes the cause of diarrhea can be hard to detect.

At this point, the vet will likely want to consider some in hospital treatment such as intravenous fluids over a period of a couple of days.

This could be something like a bacterial infection or gastroenteritis because of something she ate.

However, I get concerned when an older dog is this sick and doesn't want to eat or drink. It can mean that there is some type of serious underlying condition. While most underlying conditions can be detected with the tests that she had done, some types of conditions such as intestinal cancers may not.

I wish I could offer you some advice on things that you can do but by far the best advice I can give is to have your vet see her again.

I hope things work out ok!

We did go back to her vet and did an MRI. It showed nodes. We are going today to an oncologist for advice and more tests. Thanks. She did eat some today and drank a half a bowl of water this morning

Oh, I am sorry to hear that her lymph nodes are increased. Sometimes this can be because of some widespread infection. However, cancer has to be a concern as well. :(

No they have not worked out she is dying

Normal to cry when put to sleep? Two weeks ago I put my 18 and three quarter year old dog Bertie to sleep. He would... (19895 views)

Dog skin allergies. My 4 year old English Setter ( house dog and hunter) recently came down with ear... (9221 views)

Boxer bleeding from mouth. Hello my dog has just started bleeding from his mouth its not alot alot but it is... (69570 views)

Can't use back legs. In the past 7 months my dog has had 2 "episodes". First, in September 2010 he had... (35782 views)

Swollen hip. I am so worried about my dog Holly. I think she may have hip dysplasia. Her hip is... (11254 views)

Frontline Plus and Advantage Multi? Can I give my dog Advantage Multi plus the Frontline Plus. I know the Advantage... (18108 views)

Are chicken bones bad for dogs? Bobby has a very sensitive stomach. He has been vomiting lately. We gave him some... (17710 views)

When to euthanize dog with arthritis. Hello. I'm going through a really hard time right now, trying to make a decision... (43804 views)

Swollen ankle in my dog. My Labrador has the right back leg ankle joint bigger than his left one. 15 days ago... (10588 views)

Black spot on tongue. My dog, Bogey, has developed a black spot on his tongue about 3 months ago. It was a... (25598 views)