Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas?

Breed: Not sure
Hi,

I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was dangerous, so I haven't and won't use it. I looked up alternatives to pet shampoo, and found that Dawn dish soap, or diluted baby shampoo would be fine. I also saw that you can make a mixture to prevent fleas by boiling 2 cut lemons in water, letting it sit overnight, and spraying it on your cats/dogs (avoiding the eyes).

Are these methods safe for cats/kittens and dogs? Will the lemon alter their fur color? Is it affective in removing/preventing fleas?

Robin

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Diluted Dawn dish soap is generally safe to use on an animal. I wouldn't recommend it for regular use however.

Dawn does have some effect against fleas as well. But it is not likely to kill 100% of the fleas.

I would highly advise a prescription product such as Revolution, Advantage, Capstar or Frontline for better protection against fleas. You would need to get these from your veterinarian.

I have not heard of lemon killing fleas. It is quite unlikely that it will work and I would not recommend it.

Why did my cat die? Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece... (14076 views)

Benadryl for swollen snout? my dogs face around the snout has become swollen not sure why but im guessing its... (21307 views)

Straining to urinate. I have an 8 year old yellow lab named Chloie. She was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (5227 views)

Cause of high ALP? mickey a male is 6 and 1/2 years old. he was prescribed on 8/12/11 rimadyl (1/2 75mg... (12987 views)

Yellow vaginal discharge. my female cat has yellow vaginal discharge what does this mean? is it a sign of... (13009 views)

Dog with phlegm from mouth hi my dog has thick phlegm like mucus coming out of his mout has seemed ill for the... (51400 views)

Very thirsty kitten. Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl... (11458 views)

Trouble walking. On Wednesday evening we called our dogs for dinnertime, and our 10 year old Alaskan... (18072 views)

What caused my cat to die? Hello Dr. Marie - I found my cat dead yesterday morning under my neighbors van,... (39262 views)

Questions about seizures and MRI. Dr., We are in a dilemma and don't know what to do. Our pet, BooBoo, our beatiful... (62684 views)