Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas?

Breed: Not sure
Hi,

I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was dangerous, so I haven't and won't use it. I looked up alternatives to pet shampoo, and found that Dawn dish soap, or diluted baby shampoo would be fine. I also saw that you can make a mixture to prevent fleas by boiling 2 cut lemons in water, letting it sit overnight, and spraying it on your cats/dogs (avoiding the eyes).

Are these methods safe for cats/kittens and dogs? Will the lemon alter their fur color? Is it affective in removing/preventing fleas?

Robin

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Diluted Dawn dish soap is generally safe to use on an animal. I wouldn't recommend it for regular use however.

Dawn does have some effect against fleas as well. But it is not likely to kill 100% of the fleas.

I would highly advise a prescription product such as Revolution, Advantage, Capstar or Frontline for better protection against fleas. You would need to get these from your veterinarian.

I have not heard of lemon killing fleas. It is quite unlikely that it will work and I would not recommend it.

Relapse of parvo? We recently bought a lab pup that turned up with parvo a few days after bringing it... (20290 views)

Guinea pig noises. Heys! I have only one guinea pig and she is female. Sometimes my guinea pig makes... (10484 views)

Are tomatoes bad for cats? Hi, My ragdoll cat loves cherry tomatoes! - he goes mad crazy for the but I am... (37795 views)

Boxer grinding teeth. my fixed female boxer has recently started grinding her teeth. she seems to do this... (50494 views)

Dripping blood. My 13 year old female, spayed,Doberman is in good health (with lots of benign... (28147 views)

Sore gums in chihuahua. My dog's gums are very sensitive. I tried brushing them and on the right side, they... (10406 views)

Dog losing weight. my king charles is losing weight, ive tried al different kinds of wet and dry food... (7652 views)

Trouble going to the bathroom. First off i want to say i really wish i could do the paid option so i could for sure... (8443 views)

Can't move back legs. Cat is not able to move back legs and yowling. Maybe paralyzed? No accidents. Need... (15679 views)

Vomiting yorkie. Abby is 15 months old. She weighs 2.5-3.0 lbs. She is spayed. My question is that... (22079 views)