Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas?

Breed: Not sure
Hi,

I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was dangerous, so I haven't and won't use it. I looked up alternatives to pet shampoo, and found that Dawn dish soap, or diluted baby shampoo would be fine. I also saw that you can make a mixture to prevent fleas by boiling 2 cut lemons in water, letting it sit overnight, and spraying it on your cats/dogs (avoiding the eyes).

Are these methods safe for cats/kittens and dogs? Will the lemon alter their fur color? Is it affective in removing/preventing fleas?

Robin

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Diluted Dawn dish soap is generally safe to use on an animal. I wouldn't recommend it for regular use however.

Dawn does have some effect against fleas as well. But it is not likely to kill 100% of the fleas.

I would highly advise a prescription product such as Revolution, Advantage, Capstar or Frontline for better protection against fleas. You would need to get these from your veterinarian.

I have not heard of lemon killing fleas. It is quite unlikely that it will work and I would not recommend it.

Skin problems. i have a male cocker spaniel 11yrs old, the last couple months he has been... (11878 views)

Cat with megacolon We have a cat, Poofter, who has mega-colon. The vet prescribed Hills Prescription... (11190 views)

Uncomfortable cocker spaniel My 7 1/2 year old cocker spaniel came in from a walk last night with a stomach that... (40482 views)

Needs anal glands done again. I just took Chloe to the vet last weekend because she was skooting and her vet... (7643 views)

Morning after pill for dogs? Is there a "morning after pill" for dogs? ... (27670 views)

Possible rabies. Hello, My dog bit me, on my arm, exactly 10 days ago. Today is the 10th day and he... (9283 views)

Give thyroid medicine? Hi there, I live in a remote northern community and we do not have a vet here. My... (7019 views)

Swollen painful gums. Stomatitis? Other vets have been trying to figure out what is wrong, or how to help Yoko. Her... (15208 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur. Hello, my 12 year old beagle just recently went into the vet for a check up and the... (12102 views)

Seizures...brain tumor? Hello Dr. Marie, I have an interesting scenario for you. Our Aussie is 13 and as... (5517 views)