Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas?

Breed: Not sure
Hi,

I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was dangerous, so I haven't and won't use it. I looked up alternatives to pet shampoo, and found that Dawn dish soap, or diluted baby shampoo would be fine. I also saw that you can make a mixture to prevent fleas by boiling 2 cut lemons in water, letting it sit overnight, and spraying it on your cats/dogs (avoiding the eyes).

Are these methods safe for cats/kittens and dogs? Will the lemon alter their fur color? Is it affective in removing/preventing fleas?

Robin

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Diluted Dawn dish soap is generally safe to use on an animal. I wouldn't recommend it for regular use however.

Dawn does have some effect against fleas as well. But it is not likely to kill 100% of the fleas.

I would highly advise a prescription product such as Revolution, Advantage, Capstar or Frontline for better protection against fleas. You would need to get these from your veterinarian.

I have not heard of lemon killing fleas. It is quite unlikely that it will work and I would not recommend it.

Rash on belly. My 15 month old pit bull/great dane mix has recently started developing a "bruise"... (87410 views)

Kennel cough in pregnant dog. My dog just started very mild reverse sneeze/sneezing and slight runny nose I'm... (29011 views)

Gray spot near a dog's penis. My dog has gray spot on the bottom by his penis is this normal? He never had them... (15117 views)

Using elastic to remove lump. Rusty was diagnose with "cancer" after giving birth 4 years ago. It was recommended... (9789 views)

Cat itchy on neck. Recently my cat has been scratching in the area just below her neck at the top of... (12751 views)

Cat with crusty areas. Hello, I'd like some advice on diagnosis and treatment for my cat. She has had... (15751 views)

Cat is getting lazy. Not urgent. Snowy used to play with paper and bottle tops and whatever else he could... (14205 views)

Liver shunt or exercise induced collapse? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old female lab named Harper. Harper loves to play... (7705 views)

Dog has bone cancer. My dog has been limping for some time now. His toe has been diagnosed with Bone... (13943 views)

Aggressive with food. Dear Dr. Marie: My husband and I adopted our kitten, Tigger, last April, so we've... (6665 views)