Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas?

Breed: Not sure
Hi,

I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was dangerous, so I haven't and won't use it. I looked up alternatives to pet shampoo, and found that Dawn dish soap, or diluted baby shampoo would be fine. I also saw that you can make a mixture to prevent fleas by boiling 2 cut lemons in water, letting it sit overnight, and spraying it on your cats/dogs (avoiding the eyes).

Are these methods safe for cats/kittens and dogs? Will the lemon alter their fur color? Is it affective in removing/preventing fleas?

Robin

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Diluted Dawn dish soap is generally safe to use on an animal. I wouldn't recommend it for regular use however.

Dawn does have some effect against fleas as well. But it is not likely to kill 100% of the fleas.

I would highly advise a prescription product such as Revolution, Advantage, Capstar or Frontline for better protection against fleas. You would need to get these from your veterinarian.

I have not heard of lemon killing fleas. It is quite unlikely that it will work and I would not recommend it.

Hamster is dying. My hamster is 2 years and 11 months now . I noticed he hasnt been drinking as much ,... (10012 views)

Hind end paralysis. I put my beautiful, loyal companion to sleep on Christmas day. The guilt is... (9013 views)

Dog pees when someone pets him. Cooper is 5 months old and neutered. He pees when anyone pets him, talks to him or... (6141 views)

Ectopic ureter or pelvic bladder? My dog ziggy is almost a year old. I got him at 6 months. He has a urination... (41026 views)

Superglue for dog's wound. He had a cut on his leg from broken glass fairly deep but not long, nor puncture. I... (25778 views)

Surgery on 14 year old dog. Chyna has in the past few months developed a mass or cluster of lumps that are dark... (13447 views)

Puppy ate Imodium We think our 11-week-old puppy ate an Imodium. He weighs 6.5 pounds. Do we need to... (26158 views)

Peeing on clothes. My old cat seems to be healthy, he eats well, is blind in one eye but that doesn't... (6958 views)

Diarrhea with mucus. Dr, Are you familiar with those bullwinkle sticks. They are about 13" long, bull... (22409 views)

Lumps on mammary glands. Fraya is a rescue we have had for a month. We are not sure of her age, but we think... (26953 views)