Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Kitten died.

Species: Cat
Breed: Siamese
Age: Less than 3 mon
Hello

I work at the humane society. We recently adopted out a 13 week old long haired Siamese mix. This kitten was an orphan but was doing really well when he came in at 6 weeks old. This kitten did come in with a lot of fleas but we did give the cat a capstar pill and he was just fine after that. He was at the shelter until 13 weeks of age, and he was adopted very soon after hitting that age. He was vaccinated at eight weeks old, and again at 12. He was scheduled for his last at 16 weeks.

He was very hyper and playful, and showed a lot of energy. We even gave him a bath with a mild dawn dish soap and blow dryed him before he went home to make sure he was completely flea free and dewormed him against round worms. Having fleas, we were aware he probably did have tapes and was going to give him a pill once we got more stock from the vet which was going to be later that week.

The kitten ended up listless and just suddenly died 4 days later, despite being fully vaccinated , dewormed, and well cared for. This has obviously broken my heart and I could not sleep, trying to search for an answer of what happened. The other two siblings are just fine, but are not long haired. We haven't seen one case of upper respiratory in months, so I do not think that could have been the reason.

I do not think tapeworms would have killed a kitten that quick and young, as this is the first case like this we have ever had. I could understand if it was a long time that he had tapes, but it wasn't. We was going to do an autopsy but the cat had already been refrigerated and the vet said it would not be possible after that.

This was the second case this month, so we are obviously a little confused as well since the other cat is almost the exact same situation.

Any advice or insight? I do feel like this is all of my fault :(.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh, I am sorry to hear of this situation. As you likely know, I won't have an exact answer for you as to what happened to this poor kitten. It sounds like you did all of the right things and I certainly do not think that you were to blame for his death.

Whenever I see a young kitten that seems relatively healthy and then dies suddenly, I think of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. This is a condition where the cat is born with a heart that is too thick. Cats can suddenly die with this condition. There are often no external signs to indicate that this is the problem although some cats do have a heart murmur.

The other thing I wondered about was whether the fleas were carrying something else such as mycoplasma hemofelis (hemobartonella). This is a blood parasite that can cause extreme anemia and can be fatal.

I don't think a tapeworm would do this.

It's also possible that he had a virus such as feline leukemia, FIV or FIP. Although, these conditions are less likely to cause sudden death.

If this continues to happen with other cats, you may want to consider getting permission to have a full post mortem done and possibly a diagnosis can be made.

Rest assured that this is not your fault though.

Dr. Marie.



Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Peeing in house on lasix. My dog has collapsed trachea and also an enlarged heart that was pressing on his... (10466 views)

Cat is sleeping a lot. My cat has been sleeping a lot in the last two days. Want play. Will eat a little.... (6258 views)

Lumps all over body. Hello, I have a 6 year old italian grey hound. Before he was very very active and... (24046 views)

Wound on cat's paw. When I got my cat 3yrs ago he had frostbite on his front pads, they healed good. a... (3818 views)

How long does a dog stay in heat? How long does she stay in heat? and how often? thanks have a blessed... (6828 views)

Discoid lupus treatment. Hi. I live in rural Peru. After many wrong diagnoses, a vet here diagnosed Diego... (6834 views)

Are tomatoes bad for cats? Hi, My ragdoll cat loves cherry tomatoes! - he goes mad crazy for the but I am... (25330 views)

Rottweiler can't stand. Hello, We have a 13 year old Rott who was diagnosed with arthritis of the spine. ... (21858 views)

Ear mite treatment for dogs and cats. Hello, I just noticed the other day that my cat and dog has alot of ... (7319 views)

Red gums next to baby teeth. Hi Dr, This question concerns Max gums. Recall a month ago he had two occluded... (9640 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.