Kitten died.

Breed: Siamese
Hello

I work at the humane society. We recently adopted out a 13 week old long haired Siamese mix. This kitten was an orphan but was doing really well when he came in at 6 weeks old. This kitten did come in with a lot of fleas but we did give the cat a capstar pill and he was just fine after that. He was at the shelter until 13 weeks of age, and he was adopted very soon after hitting that age. He was vaccinated at eight weeks old, and again at 12. He was scheduled for his last at 16 weeks.

He was very hyper and playful, and showed a lot of energy. We even gave him a bath with a mild dawn dish soap and blow dryed him before he went home to make sure he was completely flea free and dewormed him against round worms. Having fleas, we were aware he probably did have tapes and was going to give him a pill once we got more stock from the vet which was going to be later that week.

The kitten ended up listless and just suddenly died 4 days later, despite being fully vaccinated , dewormed, and well cared for. This has obviously broken my heart and I could not sleep, trying to search for an answer of what happened. The other two siblings are just fine, but are not long haired. We haven't seen one case of upper respiratory in months, so I do not think that could have been the reason.

I do not think tapeworms would have killed a kitten that quick and young, as this is the first case like this we have ever had. I could understand if it was a long time that he had tapes, but it wasn't. We was going to do an autopsy but the cat had already been refrigerated and the vet said it would not be possible after that.

This was the second case this month, so we are obviously a little confused as well since the other cat is almost the exact same situation.

Any advice or insight? I do feel like this is all of my fault :(.

Oh, I am sorry to hear of this situation. As you likely know, I won't have an exact answer for you as to what happened to this poor kitten. It sounds like you did all of the right things and I certainly do not think that you were to blame for his death.

Whenever I see a young kitten that seems relatively healthy and then dies suddenly, I think of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. This is a condition where the cat is born with a heart that is too thick. Cats can suddenly die with this condition. There are often no external signs to indicate that this is the problem although some cats do have a heart murmur.

The other thing I wondered about was whether the fleas were carrying something else such as mycoplasma hemofelis (hemobartonella). This is a blood parasite that can cause extreme anemia and can be fatal.

I don't think a tapeworm would do this.

It's also possible that he had a virus such as feline leukemia, FIV or FIP. Although, these conditions are less likely to cause sudden death.

If this continues to happen with other cats, you may want to consider getting permission to have a full post mortem done and possibly a diagnosis can be made.

Rest assured that this is not your fault though.

Cat is always hungry and stealing food. hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4... (11028 views)

Wound on cat's leg. Sydney is an indoor/outdoor cat. Last week he got a cut on his front leg. I was... (11561 views)

Should I neuter him? My male chihuahua follows my female Lhasa Apso all around the house. The Lhasa does... (4489 views)

Strange problem with cat. I am having a serious issue. I have an 11 year old female indoor cat, never fixed. ... (6916 views)

Underweight dog. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs, one of whom, Mushka (mixed breed), has been... (8155 views)

Constipated or urinary issue? Hello Dr Marie. I am contacting you about our cat Linus again. It is 4 am here.... (6069 views)

Lymph node enlargement. Lola was diagnosed with stage III-IVa (b cell) lymphoma a few months ago. Today was... (2882 views)

Why is my 10 year old chihuahua coughing? Hi Dr. Marie! I have a 10yr old female Chihuahua that has a coughing problem. At... (27092 views)

Dog ate acorn Dear Dr. Marie: Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit... (75136 views)

Bald patches on cats. I have twin cats, brother and sister. They are indoor cats and both overweight. They... (5080 views)