Trifexis side effects

Breed: Shetland Sheepdog
I just read your article about Trifexis and was very disturbed. We have three Shetland Sheepdogs, ages 4.5 yr, 9 yr, and 10.5 yr., all normal/normal for the MDR1 gene mutation. All three dogs were very ill after their first dose of Trifexis approx.12 hours later. Would not eat, severe abdominal pain. The youngest started to recover 36 hours later and was apparently ok after a week. The oldest took almost a month to completely recover. The 9 yr. old was in emergency 24 hours after the dose but never was 100% afterwards and eventually died from liver damage, gall bladder damage, and bile duct damage. All three cases were reported to Elantro, The one who died is also in the U of Texas data base and AKC-CHF as the only recorded case of bile duct cancer in the United States.
In your article you asked people to report problems to you. I wanted to do so. My only questions are
(1) Have you gotten other reports like mine? If so, how many, etc?
(2) The label needs to have a lot more warnings on it. Vets still seem to be recommending it. What can I do to prevent other cases like mine?

Thank you for sharing your story.

I belong to something called "Veterinary Information Network" where vets speak with other vets about things that are happening in our profession. There is the odd case where it is mentioned that a dog had some sort of reaction to Trifexis, but it is not common. The most common complaint is mild vomiting within a few hours of receiving the medication. There are some dogs that can get a strange neurological reaction where they daze off into space but this seems to be quite rare according to the reports that I am hearing from other vets.

The symptoms that you are describing sound quite severe. The fact that they happened 12 hours after having Trifexis are indeed concerning. It is good that these were reported to the drug company.

I have alerted the FDA to the many comments that were left on my article on Trifexis side effects. The vets in the Veterinary Information Network have discussed my article as well. If there really is a danger with this drug, then the FDA really should step in soon.

Thank you very much for sharing.

Thank-you for your kind response. Yes, the symptoms were both unexpected and quite severe. If it had not happened to all three dogs, I might be looking at other causes. Since we had used the molabedium oxamine for years, the problem had to be the spinosad or the combination. I have no information from Elantro that this batch was contaminated in any way, but they did say that they were getting a 2% fatality rate. Please caution others to use some drug that has been on the market for years.

No reply expected. Thank-you again.

Azithromycin and cat death. I run my own rescue group. I do all the cleaning, transporting, adopting, and I... (7237 views)

Is ginger safe for dogs? I make dog biscuits to sell at craft shows and with xmas coming up sooner than we... (37503 views)

Dog peeing on furniture Skyler is 2 years old and is house broken but sometimes he will come back inside and... (7033 views)

Improper tail docking? I just acquired my puppy from a backyard breeder who I was told cut off the puppies... (6295 views)

Yorkie not eating much food. My yorkie-poo rarely eats. He is currently eating instinct. He eats about 1/2 cup... (4538 views)

Male dog - trouble urinating. Hello! Just recently my dog started peeing everywhere. When he stands up its almost... (24860 views)

Cat's leg swollen. Hi there. I've spent an hour or more doing research about this online, and I'm at a... (6032 views)

Coronavirus and FIP. I recently adopted a cat from overseas, and I found out later he was housed briefly... (5908 views)

Geodon (ziprasidone) ingestion. My morkie may have ate a GEODON pill found on the floor. It was 60 mg. And it is an... (13441 views)

Brown near cat's vagina. Talia has brown in her fur around her vagina and I wiped it with a baby wipe and it... (10858 views)