Trifexis side effects

Breed: Shetland Sheepdog
I just read your article about Trifexis and was very disturbed. We have three Shetland Sheepdogs, ages 4.5 yr, 9 yr, and 10.5 yr., all normal/normal for the MDR1 gene mutation. All three dogs were very ill after their first dose of Trifexis approx.12 hours later. Would not eat, severe abdominal pain. The youngest started to recover 36 hours later and was apparently ok after a week. The oldest took almost a month to completely recover. The 9 yr. old was in emergency 24 hours after the dose but never was 100% afterwards and eventually died from liver damage, gall bladder damage, and bile duct damage. All three cases were reported to Elantro, The one who died is also in the U of Texas data base and AKC-CHF as the only recorded case of bile duct cancer in the United States.
In your article you asked people to report problems to you. I wanted to do so. My only questions are
(1) Have you gotten other reports like mine? If so, how many, etc?
(2) The label needs to have a lot more warnings on it. Vets still seem to be recommending it. What can I do to prevent other cases like mine?

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Thank you for sharing your story.

I belong to something called "Veterinary Information Network" where vets speak with other vets about things that are happening in our profession. There is the odd case where it is mentioned that a dog had some sort of reaction to Trifexis, but it is not common. The most common complaint is mild vomiting within a few hours of receiving the medication. There are some dogs that can get a strange neurological reaction where they daze off into space but this seems to be quite rare according to the reports that I am hearing from other vets.

The symptoms that you are describing sound quite severe. The fact that they happened 12 hours after having Trifexis are indeed concerning. It is good that these were reported to the drug company.

I have alerted the FDA to the many comments that were left on my article on Trifexis side effects. The vets in the Veterinary Information Network have discussed my article as well. If there really is a danger with this drug, then the FDA really should step in soon.

Thank you very much for sharing.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Thank-you for your kind response. Yes, the symptoms were both unexpected and quite severe. If it had not happened to all three dogs, I might be looking at other causes. Since we had used the molabedium oxamine for years, the problem had to be the spinosad or the combination. I have no information from Elantro that this batch was contaminated in any way, but they did say that they were getting a 2% fatality rate. Please caution others to use some drug that has been on the market for years.

No reply expected. Thank-you again.

Dasuquin causing allergies. About 5 months ago, my dog injured his leg during a walk. I took him to the vet &... (5756 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Hi, I'm desperate to find out how to help my dog. 9 days ago (Monday night) she woke... (17833 views)

Old deaf dog. my dog is 16 yrs old and since he's gone deaf he gets very agitated when left,... (5764 views)

Peeing in house on lasix. My dog has collapsed trachea and also an enlarged heart that was pressing on his... (9328 views)

Spay a nursing cat? Our kitty gave birth to three kittens 10 days ago and is already in heat. Is it... (6043 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog has been losing her appetite for about 2 months. She would no longer eat her... (9050 views)

How to get cat to lose weight? Cinder is about 16-18 lbs. She has a large frame for a Female, per the vet, but my... (2647 views)

Cat is shedding a lot. I have noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of hair Abby loses every time I... (4237 views)

Possible degnerative myelopathy. My 12 year old Chesapeake Bay Retreiver has been diagnosed with degenerative disc... (5375 views)

Ovarian remnant Hi, We have a spayed cat that has been showing signs of being on heat on and off... (6582 views)