Upper respiratory virus

Breed: Mixed
Age: 8 to 11 years
Thank you for your past advise. I now have another question that is regarding another feral cat that has been with us since 1999. She seems to have developed an upper respiratory problem and we like to know the best way to treat it. We have treated this before, with the other ferals that we take care of, with an antibiotic that we get from our vet. Is there any other treatment and can we get it at a Pet store or online.

Hi and thanks for coming back!

It is really common for a cat to get an upper respiratory virus. A lot of the time they will just get over it on their own. It can take a few days to several weeks for a cat to clear an upper respiratory virus.

One thing that you can buy online or at a pet store that will help a cat to clear a virus faster is an amino acid called lysine. While nothing will kill a virus, the lysine has been shown to help a cat's immune system fight the virus quicker.

If your cat is stuffed up then you can often help her feel better by running the shower and getting the bathroom steamy and then putting her in the steamy bathroom for about 10 minutes. This will loosen up the congestion and help her to breathe.

If she is not eating well you can try heating up some canned cat food which will help her to be able to smell it.

However, if you are seeing a green discharge from her eyes or nose, if she doesn't want to eat or if you just think she is really uncomfortable then she needs to see a vet for treatment.

It is also possible that this is not a virus. In an older cat when we see these symptoms it can sometimes mean a tumor in the nose or mouth or other things.

I hope she does ok!

Wheezing, sneezing kitten. my kitten is 3 and a half months old recently she has been sleeping a whole lot and... (11751 views)

Dog in heat a long time. i have a 7yr.old boxer who started a heat cycle in march and it is now august....she... (18068 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a... (26112 views)

Running with puppy. I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a... (5486 views)

Urinating in the house. I have a 6 y.o. Bichon Frisé who should be house trained by now. In fact, he is... (16456 views)

Swelling on neck. I just noticed that when my dog barks the right side of her neck swells about 1-2... (4796 views)

Itchy hamster. What happens if my hamster is licking itself a lot of scratching itself? Also, what... (21404 views)

Exercise after a spay? Kallie got spayed last Tuesday (July 3). She still has her stitches. We have been... (6704 views)

4 year old cat not eating. My 4 year old cat, who normally is a great eater, isn't eating much at all. She... (6393 views)

Mark on dog's nose. Hello! My dog is a Toy Fox Terrier (5 years old). He is a typical hyperactive toy... (4406 views)