Upper respiratory virus

Breed: Mixed
Age: 8 to 11 years
Thank you for your past advise. I now have another question that is regarding another feral cat that has been with us since 1999. She seems to have developed an upper respiratory problem and we like to know the best way to treat it. We have treated this before, with the other ferals that we take care of, with an antibiotic that we get from our vet. Is there any other treatment and can we get it at a Pet store or online.

Hi and thanks for coming back!

It is really common for a cat to get an upper respiratory virus. A lot of the time they will just get over it on their own. It can take a few days to several weeks for a cat to clear an upper respiratory virus.

One thing that you can buy online or at a pet store that will help a cat to clear a virus faster is an amino acid called lysine. While nothing will kill a virus, the lysine has been shown to help a cat's immune system fight the virus quicker.

If your cat is stuffed up then you can often help her feel better by running the shower and getting the bathroom steamy and then putting her in the steamy bathroom for about 10 minutes. This will loosen up the congestion and help her to breathe.

If she is not eating well you can try heating up some canned cat food which will help her to be able to smell it.

However, if you are seeing a green discharge from her eyes or nose, if she doesn't want to eat or if you just think she is really uncomfortable then she needs to see a vet for treatment.

It is also possible that this is not a virus. In an older cat when we see these symptoms it can sometimes mean a tumor in the nose or mouth or other things.

I hope she does ok!

Is kennel cough contagious to people? hi my 3 year old standard poodle went to the groomer on wed and today he was... (11492 views)

Shedding Akita. my akita is 14 months old and is lossing massive clumps of fur. he has new curse... (9378 views)

Handling newborn kittens. Hello, My cat has recently had kittens. I think they are a day old. She had... (9936 views)

Antibiotics for pyometra? my dog has pyometra what are the chances with survival after antibotic injection... (9482 views)

Pimples on dog's stomach. Your Question: Edit Question Our dog suddenly got little pimple-like lesions all... (36988 views)

Dog licking paws On Wednesday I noticed Max was licking his right rear paw. Last Saturday he had a... (68604 views)

Calcification in the lungs. dog lung calcification Dear Dr.Mari, I hear some bad sounds whenever my dog... (7465 views)

lump on ear In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been... (9621 views)

Golden with itchy abdomen. Hello My dog Henri has been constantly licking and chewing his underside inside... (33873 views)

Blood in urine. I can not afford to take her to a vet...so here I am. I have just noticed while... (10036 views)