Upper respiratory virus

Breed: Mixed
Age: 8 to 11 years
Thank you for your past advise. I now have another question that is regarding another feral cat that has been with us since 1999. She seems to have developed an upper respiratory problem and we like to know the best way to treat it. We have treated this before, with the other ferals that we take care of, with an antibiotic that we get from our vet. Is there any other treatment and can we get it at a Pet store or online.

Hi and thanks for coming back!

It is really common for a cat to get an upper respiratory virus. A lot of the time they will just get over it on their own. It can take a few days to several weeks for a cat to clear an upper respiratory virus.

One thing that you can buy online or at a pet store that will help a cat to clear a virus faster is an amino acid called lysine. While nothing will kill a virus, the lysine has been shown to help a cat's immune system fight the virus quicker.

If your cat is stuffed up then you can often help her feel better by running the shower and getting the bathroom steamy and then putting her in the steamy bathroom for about 10 minutes. This will loosen up the congestion and help her to breathe.

If she is not eating well you can try heating up some canned cat food which will help her to be able to smell it.

However, if you are seeing a green discharge from her eyes or nose, if she doesn't want to eat or if you just think she is really uncomfortable then she needs to see a vet for treatment.

It is also possible that this is not a virus. In an older cat when we see these symptoms it can sometimes mean a tumor in the nose or mouth or other things.

I hope she does ok!

Bump on roof of mouth. Hi I'm almost certain this is nothing. But I have an 8 week old golden male. I've... (33081 views)

Possible cherry eye? My dog has red bags coming up from under his lower eye lids and covering half his... (6909 views)

Older dog - bloody diarrhea. My dog is a 12 1/2 yr old cocker spaniel/golden retriever mix. She's had diarrhea... (37522 views)

Infection in neuter incision? My dog got neutered 10 days ago (Aug 9th) and in a distracted moment he licked the... (55469 views)

Puppy is leaking urine. Im concerned about my puppy frequent and what seems to be lack of urin control. The... (19785 views)

old dog is peeing in the house. spot is 17 and has started weeing in house constantley even when we have doors open... (20469 views)

Elevated kidney enzymes. I brought my dog, Trixie (10 year old Shih Tzu) in this morning for her yearly... (17615 views)

Rapid weight loss. Hello Dr. Marie, First I have to sadly say that I can not afford a vet visit for... (5205 views)

Green smelly teeth. Dweeb has greenish slime on her gums and pain when biting. I tried washing it out... (30392 views)

Head tremors and clingy dog. For the first time in 12 years my dog has started following me around obsessively... (8516 views)