Broken leg - not eating.

Breed: wolf hybrid
Last night my 7 week old puppy broke her leg , we took her to the emergency pet clinic. She has a splint on they said it was an oblique break so they were able to easily place it back into the proper spot they gave a couple of pain killers to give her every 12 hours as well as a few syringes of an anti-inflammatory. They said to give her the medication with food and it's been nine hours and she won't eat anything or drink anything . I typically feed her every 4-6 hours two meals with ground turkey, two meals with eukanuba kibble for small breeds. Is this normal? Will she start eating again when she feels ready or should I be concerned and take her to the vet?

Oh, I am so sorry that your puppy broke her leg. The poor little thing!

I am quite concerned that she is not eating. Puppies do not have a lot of reserves to fight against dehydration and going this many hours without food or water is definitely not good.

Now, you asked your question last night and unfortunately I am just getting to it now. Hopefully she has eaten overnight. But, if she hasn't, then she definitely needs to go back to see the vet this morning.

The vet may prescribe some additional pain medication as pain is probably the main reason for her lack of appetite. If she is really unwell they may want to keep her in the hospital for a while to help her stay hydrated.

I hope she feels better soon!

I went and bought some more ground turkey and that definitely solved the problem. But she still isn't all for water.Thank you for your help, I'm taking her to the vet in an hour!

Oh, I am glad to hear that she is starting to eat. Hopefully she will drink some water soon!

Possible stroke? Hi, Back at the end of June my dog was hit by a truck, his brakes locked, and... (9893 views)

Too young for euthanasia? Is there an age too young for... (5151 views)

Cat can't meow. This morning my 9-yr old female indoor cat, Ally, can't meow (she's always very... (126917 views)

Diethylene glycol in chicken jerky. Do you know of any of the Chicken Jerky do treats that are made in China, has been... (5002 views)

Swelling on dog's face. Hi the right side of my 6 year old boxer boy's face has swelled up - looks like he... (53726 views)

Lentigo on a cat. Hi Dr. Marie... My 3.5 year old tortoiseshell cat has developed a black freckle... (19673 views)

Not eating or drinking and is painful. My cat tink 3 yrs seems very poorly he hasn't eaten or drank for 2 days now is very... (4403 views)

Laryngeal paralysis. Hi Dr. I have an 11 year old lab that has had breathing problems for some time now.... (18946 views)

Cat is despondent. My cat is despondent. I don't think she's sick. I'll try anything to get some life... (6113 views)

Kitten diarrhea. my cat is having diarrhea and is growing weak everyday. he's feces have mucus and he... (9154 views)