Broken leg - not eating.

Breed: wolf hybrid
Last night my 7 week old puppy broke her leg , we took her to the emergency pet clinic. She has a splint on they said it was an oblique break so they were able to easily place it back into the proper spot they gave a couple of pain killers to give her every 12 hours as well as a few syringes of an anti-inflammatory. They said to give her the medication with food and it's been nine hours and she won't eat anything or drink anything . I typically feed her every 4-6 hours two meals with ground turkey, two meals with eukanuba kibble for small breeds. Is this normal? Will she start eating again when she feels ready or should I be concerned and take her to the vet?

Oh, I am so sorry that your puppy broke her leg. The poor little thing!

I am quite concerned that she is not eating. Puppies do not have a lot of reserves to fight against dehydration and going this many hours without food or water is definitely not good.

Now, you asked your question last night and unfortunately I am just getting to it now. Hopefully she has eaten overnight. But, if she hasn't, then she definitely needs to go back to see the vet this morning.

The vet may prescribe some additional pain medication as pain is probably the main reason for her lack of appetite. If she is really unwell they may want to keep her in the hospital for a while to help her stay hydrated.

I hope she feels better soon!

I went and bought some more ground turkey and that definitely solved the problem. But she still isn't all for water.Thank you for your help, I'm taking her to the vet in an hour!

Oh, I am glad to hear that she is starting to eat. Hopefully she will drink some water soon!

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (7784 views)

Can't urinate after neuter. My boy cat was castrated yesterday he has been trying to wee but there is no wee... (8188 views)

Shelter cats with infection. Hello My friend told me I should talk to you about what is going on at the animal... (4577 views)

Hamster with cushing's disease hi a am mina. i have 10 hamester. Unfortunately "blaki" (my Hamster) Maybe have... (9486 views)

Sick cat after teeth cleaning. she had her teeth cleaned on march 1st...came home..she was woozy from... (13972 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate candy. Bo ate an 8 oz. package of See's chocolate brittle (12 one inch pieces of toffee... (8338 views)

Sneezing cat. My cat keeps sneezing and sometimes has watery eyes. It started today and. I googled... (19882 views)

Intranasal vaccine reaction. our kitten seams to have had a reaction to her nasal vacine it had been about four... (8043 views)

Cataracts, thirst and lethargy. Hi Dr Marie, I am writing for reasons of my pug that I have just been informed... (7918 views)

Contagious diarrhea? please bare with me as this is gonna be kind of long... about 2 weeks ago i had... (7161 views)