Broken leg - not eating.

Breed: wolf hybrid
Last night my 7 week old puppy broke her leg , we took her to the emergency pet clinic. She has a splint on they said it was an oblique break so they were able to easily place it back into the proper spot they gave a couple of pain killers to give her every 12 hours as well as a few syringes of an anti-inflammatory. They said to give her the medication with food and it's been nine hours and she won't eat anything or drink anything . I typically feed her every 4-6 hours two meals with ground turkey, two meals with eukanuba kibble for small breeds. Is this normal? Will she start eating again when she feels ready or should I be concerned and take her to the vet?

Oh, I am so sorry that your puppy broke her leg. The poor little thing!

I am quite concerned that she is not eating. Puppies do not have a lot of reserves to fight against dehydration and going this many hours without food or water is definitely not good.

Now, you asked your question last night and unfortunately I am just getting to it now. Hopefully she has eaten overnight. But, if she hasn't, then she definitely needs to go back to see the vet this morning.

The vet may prescribe some additional pain medication as pain is probably the main reason for her lack of appetite. If she is really unwell they may want to keep her in the hospital for a while to help her stay hydrated.

I hope she feels better soon!

I went and bought some more ground turkey and that definitely solved the problem. But she still isn't all for water.Thank you for your help, I'm taking her to the vet in an hour!

Oh, I am glad to hear that she is starting to eat. Hopefully she will drink some water soon!

Trim ferret's teeth? can you trim your ferrets teeth so that when they bite it wont hurt as much and if... (9976 views)

Saddle thrombus in a dog. In a dog, once a blood clot has broken off and is considered a saddle thrombus, how... (10213 views)

Vomiting kittens. I have two kittens, 6 mo. today. Both have received all vaccinations/shots. We had... (21969 views)

Matts on my cat I have a long hair cat with alot of matted hair. I also got L'oreal tangle tamer for... (8940 views)

Spinal cord lymphoma Hello Dr. Marie, Our angel puppy Oreo passed away last night. We decided to move... (13435 views)

Bloated and leaking urine. This past week my 12 year old german shepard has been wetting herself and last night... (23799 views)

Puppy died suddenly. I came home after being gone for 3 hours. We have baby Pomeranians 6 weeks old. They... (21448 views)

10 month puppy with heartworm. I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was... (14198 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog keeps shaking and isn't acting herself. Her whole body is shaking but it is... (25470 views)

Does my dog have rabies? How likely in your experience will my puppy get rabies if one of her litter mates... (10012 views)