Cat with asthma.

Breed: Tuxedo
My cat sam is 9 yrs old. he weighs about 16 pounds. He has coughing spells about 3 times a year. He sneezes too. I would take him to the vet and he would get a steroid injection and prednisone 5mg once a day by mouth. He would not cough for months. Now he is terrified to go to the vet. I have prednisone to give him because he is coughing, but the 5mg wears off at night. Can I give him more? I also have a albuterol Inhaler that was mine. Can I use that on him? I don't want to keep him on the prednisone long term just when he is symptomatic. A vet I called said he could have heart trouble. Do you think so? The prednisone works and he breathes better and doesn't cough, so I don't think it's his heart. Please help!

I'm sorry to hear that Sam is having problems.

Unfortunately I can't give you specific information on whether or not you can give these medications as I can't legally do so without Sam being an actual patient of mine.

I do have cats that I put on Prednisone long term. Usually 5mg a day is plenty. In fact, I have many cats on 2.5mg every other day for asthma. I generally would not use 5 mg twice daily long term unless the benefits really outweighed the risks.

You may want to talk to your vet about possibly getting him a long acting steroid injection such as depo-medrol. There are pros and cons to this. There is a rare side effect where a cat can develop diabetes after having repeated steroid injections but this is very uncommon. These injections often work well and last about 6 weeks or longer. This could be an option.

I have used inhalers in cats but you would need to get one that has a dosage that is specific to your cat (which would have to be prescribed by your vet).

In my experience, cats don't often cough with heart trouble. The one exception is heartworm. If you live in an area where there is a lot of heartworm (such as the Southern US) then you may want to ask your vet to test for heartworm. But, given that he responds to steroids, asthma is much more likely.

I can understand that Sam doesn't enjoy going to the vet. You may want to see if the vet or another vet in your area has a housecall option. It really does sound like he needs some long term veterinary care.

I wish I could offer more to you. Please let me know if you have questions.

Thank you so much. Your information really has helped me. I found a vet that makes house calls and I'm going to get him an appt. Thanks again!

Red bubble in corner of eye. My dog has a red membrane sticking out from the corner of his eye - kind of like a... (23483 views)

Cat with green patch on skin. first i would like to thank you for your time. When my cat was a kitten i thought... (15658 views)

Vomiting yorkie. Abby is 15 months old. She weighs 2.5-3.0 lbs. She is spayed. My question is that... (22667 views)

Azithromycin and cat death. I run my own rescue group. I do all the cleaning, transporting, adopting, and I... (11183 views)

Kennel Cough. Hello I am only 16 and my parents do not believe me on my concern for my dog. I do... (6293 views)

Enlarged lymph nodes on chemo. My furry child was recently diagnosed Lymphoma, cells suggestive of T-cell. I do... (13434 views)

Boxer bleeding from mouth. Hello my dog has just started bleeding from his mouth its not alot alot but it is... (68489 views)

Chihuahua had a seizure. Hi , my daughter's dog is very tiny weighing just 3.8 lbs. Last night he was on my... (25164 views)

Vaginal bleeding in cat. my cat is having vaginal bleeding since early morning, she cannot keep up with... (21308 views)

Bengal leg weakness. Rebel has had some undiagnosed rear end lameness and weakness intermitantly since... (9339 views)