Cat with asthma.

Breed: Tuxedo
My cat sam is 9 yrs old. he weighs about 16 pounds. He has coughing spells about 3 times a year. He sneezes too. I would take him to the vet and he would get a steroid injection and prednisone 5mg once a day by mouth. He would not cough for months. Now he is terrified to go to the vet. I have prednisone to give him because he is coughing, but the 5mg wears off at night. Can I give him more? I also have a albuterol Inhaler that was mine. Can I use that on him? I don't want to keep him on the prednisone long term just when he is symptomatic. A vet I called said he could have heart trouble. Do you think so? The prednisone works and he breathes better and doesn't cough, so I don't think it's his heart. Please help!

I'm sorry to hear that Sam is having problems.

Unfortunately I can't give you specific information on whether or not you can give these medications as I can't legally do so without Sam being an actual patient of mine.

I do have cats that I put on Prednisone long term. Usually 5mg a day is plenty. In fact, I have many cats on 2.5mg every other day for asthma. I generally would not use 5 mg twice daily long term unless the benefits really outweighed the risks.

You may want to talk to your vet about possibly getting him a long acting steroid injection such as depo-medrol. There are pros and cons to this. There is a rare side effect where a cat can develop diabetes after having repeated steroid injections but this is very uncommon. These injections often work well and last about 6 weeks or longer. This could be an option.

I have used inhalers in cats but you would need to get one that has a dosage that is specific to your cat (which would have to be prescribed by your vet).

In my experience, cats don't often cough with heart trouble. The one exception is heartworm. If you live in an area where there is a lot of heartworm (such as the Southern US) then you may want to ask your vet to test for heartworm. But, given that he responds to steroids, asthma is much more likely.

I can understand that Sam doesn't enjoy going to the vet. You may want to see if the vet or another vet in your area has a housecall option. It really does sound like he needs some long term veterinary care.

I wish I could offer more to you. Please let me know if you have questions.

Thank you so much. Your information really has helped me. I found a vet that makes house calls and I'm going to get him an appt. Thanks again!

dog with bumps on head My dog has 2-3 little lumps on her head, She is smooothe coated, You can feel them... (27759 views)

Cat died after intestinal surgery. Hi, I tried to send email this morning but some how pay pal didn't take me to right... (9444 views)

Puppy breathing hard. Tucker is only 8 weeks old, I can't get his needles until this Tues. I think he has... (14515 views)

Vet drained cyst. A few months back my dog developed a blocked sweat gland. My former vet basically... (8426 views)

Swollen ankle. On 4/10/12 our dog was running down the hallway as usual and slipped as usual cause... (5575 views)

When to separate pups? Hello, My pet has just given babies and i need to give those babies for... (8291 views)

Is my dog in pain? Hi dr, Marie, I'm the one that asked about the papaya leaf for... (5959 views)

Charcoal briquette My Yorkie, male-6 pounds, was in the garden where my husband threw burn,... (40481 views)

Bump on eye. Dear Dr. Marie, I am writing about my 3-year-old Australian Cattle Dog, Bruce.... (13366 views)

Chronic ehrlichiosis treatment. I have a 7 year old Black Russian Terrier that was diagnosed 1 year ago with... (15641 views)