Wart on dog's paw.

Breed: Border Collie
Hello Dr Marie,

I'm hoping you can help me identify a lump that I have found on the top side of my 13 y.o. dog's paw.

Here's a photo: https://picasaweb.google.com/100316459255481596118/September52011?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMzbodCfkeG8BQ&feat=directlink

It's about 5mm wide, hard to the touch, and pressure doesn't seem to cause him any pain.

I know older dogs tend to get growths, but this one looks different to ones I've seen before, and it's his first one (I think!).#

Matt

lump on dog's paw

Hi Matt and thanks for your question.

First off, I always have to write a disclaimer when I look at photos of lumps online as I can't give you a diagnosis just by looking at the picture. However, this really looks like a regular old wart. I'd be very surprised if this ends up being anything to worry about.

There's not much we can do about warts other than remove them surgically or sometimes with a cryo-freezing unit. Stuff like compound-W won't work.

I would keep an eye on this and I'd see the vet if it is getting red and angry looking.

But the chances that this is cancerous are very small!

OK, thanks for your quick answer.

I understand that you can't be sure from looking, but good to know that I don't have to panic. I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks again,

Matt

Black dots in dog's ear. We recently realised there are black sesame seed like black dots in one of my dog's... (9780 views)

Dog peeing on furniture Skyler is 2 years old and is house broken but sometimes he will come back inside and... (8080 views)

Separation anxiety. Dear Dr. Marie, My family and I adopted Champ, who is a 2 1/2 year old... (6325 views)

Hartz Ultra Guard for fleas? hello dr. marie, bear has fleas. i gave her a bath then treated her with hartz... (9466 views)

Swollen eye and face. Hello, My 12.5 years old dog, Siberian husky, (in very good condition... (10777 views)

Chin acne. Hi there, My cat came down with a case of feline acne, probably caused by stress,... (9103 views)

Pregnant cat is vomiting. My cat got out and didn't come home for about a month. When she got out she was in... (17743 views)

Rat with swollen eyes. my moms friend was watching my albino rat and she left him out side all day and now,... (8025 views)

Puppy Strangles. litter of 12 puppies were born on April 13th and now 4 are showing signs of lumps... (7088 views)

Vomiting dog. Our vet has told us that Lola won't digest all her food and empty her stomach in the... (6876 views)