Wart on dog's paw.

Breed: Border Collie
Hello Dr Marie,

I'm hoping you can help me identify a lump that I have found on the top side of my 13 y.o. dog's paw.

Here's a photo: https://picasaweb.google.com/100316459255481596118/September52011?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMzbodCfkeG8BQ&feat=directlink

It's about 5mm wide, hard to the touch, and pressure doesn't seem to cause him any pain.

I know older dogs tend to get growths, but this one looks different to ones I've seen before, and it's his first one (I think!).#

Matt

lump on dog's paw

Hi Matt and thanks for your question.

First off, I always have to write a disclaimer when I look at photos of lumps online as I can't give you a diagnosis just by looking at the picture. However, this really looks like a regular old wart. I'd be very surprised if this ends up being anything to worry about.

There's not much we can do about warts other than remove them surgically or sometimes with a cryo-freezing unit. Stuff like compound-W won't work.

I would keep an eye on this and I'd see the vet if it is getting red and angry looking.

But the chances that this is cancerous are very small!

OK, thanks for your quick answer.

I understand that you can't be sure from looking, but good to know that I don't have to panic. I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks again,

Matt

Does my cat have cancer? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 3rd time writing to... (17160 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in pregnancy. My dog has had 1 or 2 ties and it's been about a week now and she's starting to have... (7548 views)

Thiamine deficiency? My cat has Thiamine deficiency from Wellness pet food. Are the effects for the... (8715 views)

Old dog with mammary lump Gizmo, our shihtzu is naturally slowing due to age- her hearing is gone - her sight... (11078 views)

Hypoallergenic dogs. Dr. Marie, thank you for responding to my recent questions regarding my Pug, Newt. I... (7735 views)

Puppy and adult dog vomiting. Our 8 yr old lab became ill about 2 weeks ago with occassional vomiting, diarrhea,... (5606 views)

Cat howls at night time. Hi - Rusty is almost 15 yrs. and meows and howls at night. Basically, he throws a... (22228 views)

Teeth cleaning in cats. How important is it to clean your cats teeth and how would I go about it? My cat... (8193 views)

Very sick kitten. Thursday 4/21 daughter rescued kitten from tomcat in my mom's backyard. Kitten... (21631 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and worried about my two cats. I know how to avoid... (5537 views)