Wart on dog's paw.

Breed: Border Collie
Hello Dr Marie,

I'm hoping you can help me identify a lump that I have found on the top side of my 13 y.o. dog's paw.

Here's a photo: https://picasaweb.google.com/100316459255481596118/September52011?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMzbodCfkeG8BQ&feat=directlink

It's about 5mm wide, hard to the touch, and pressure doesn't seem to cause him any pain.

I know older dogs tend to get growths, but this one looks different to ones I've seen before, and it's his first one (I think!).#

Matt

lump on dog's paw

Hi Matt and thanks for your question.

First off, I always have to write a disclaimer when I look at photos of lumps online as I can't give you a diagnosis just by looking at the picture. However, this really looks like a regular old wart. I'd be very surprised if this ends up being anything to worry about.

There's not much we can do about warts other than remove them surgically or sometimes with a cryo-freezing unit. Stuff like compound-W won't work.

I would keep an eye on this and I'd see the vet if it is getting red and angry looking.

But the chances that this is cancerous are very small!

OK, thanks for your quick answer.

I understand that you can't be sure from looking, but good to know that I don't have to panic. I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks again,

Matt

Is coconut oil good for dogs? Hello, I'm writing to find out if coconut oil is safe and beneficial to feed my... (7462 views)

Possible seizures? Our cat, Teddy, started having episodes of rigid front legs, swaying, and staggering... (7047 views)

Brown spots on dog's belly. In the last 5 weeks, I've noticed some skin spots on my 3 year old Yorkshire... (32219 views)

Time to put dog to sleep? My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost... (6668 views)

Ultrasonic noise deterrents for cats? do devices that omit a 124db ultrasonic burst of sound work as a cat deterrent... (8958 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My dog is just laying here stiff in the rear but wont move anything but his head. He... (9502 views)

Did my dog mate? hello my female dog was on her 2nd heat around 2months ago she got out my garden... (7450 views)

Painful erection My 9 month old dog, Jack, has been getting erections that last up to about 10... (21110 views)

Lentigo? My cat has weird dark spots on the bald part in front of the ear canal. They look... (10917 views)

Pregnant if bred when bleeding? I have a golden retriever that's about to be 3years old. She recently mated with... (72071 views)