Wart on dog's paw.

Breed: Border Collie
Hello Dr Marie,

I'm hoping you can help me identify a lump that I have found on the top side of my 13 y.o. dog's paw.

Here's a photo: https://picasaweb.google.com/100316459255481596118/September52011?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMzbodCfkeG8BQ&feat=directlink

It's about 5mm wide, hard to the touch, and pressure doesn't seem to cause him any pain.

I know older dogs tend to get growths, but this one looks different to ones I've seen before, and it's his first one (I think!).#

Matt

lump on dog's paw

Hi Matt and thanks for your question.

First off, I always have to write a disclaimer when I look at photos of lumps online as I can't give you a diagnosis just by looking at the picture. However, this really looks like a regular old wart. I'd be very surprised if this ends up being anything to worry about.

There's not much we can do about warts other than remove them surgically or sometimes with a cryo-freezing unit. Stuff like compound-W won't work.

I would keep an eye on this and I'd see the vet if it is getting red and angry looking.

But the chances that this is cancerous are very small!

OK, thanks for your quick answer.

I understand that you can't be sure from looking, but good to know that I don't have to panic. I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks again,

Matt

Sore tail. Yesterday I noticed my cat acting strange. She has been walking with her tail very... (7047 views)

FIV positive and diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie - I took in a semi feral cat about six weeks ago. He is FIV+. He has... (15700 views)

Stop puppy from biting. How can I stop my puppy from biting me? I don't want to give her up but she is... (8420 views)

Is my dog pregnant? i think my dog is pregnet she has big nipples and she is getting lazy she was in... (5094 views)

My kitten died. Hi Dr Marie, We came home on Sunday after a night away (less than 24 hours) to... (11457 views)

Are raisins toxic to cats? Hello, On Monday of this week (today is Wednesday) my cat came up to me while I... (28646 views)

Oozing boil on dog's paw. My dog has a sort of woozing boil on her paw and all around it there is hair loss... (11625 views)

Basset Hound whining. My basset has seemed to be more whiny latley than usual. I felt around his joints... (8901 views)

Why use jugular vein? Why would my vet take blood out of the neck (jugler (?) vein)? In most cases I've... (17191 views)

Yorkie with Possible Pyometra. have a 7 year old female Yorkie that has been limp and despondent for 3 days. She... (13107 views)