Wart on dog's paw.

Breed: Border Collie
Hello Dr Marie,

I'm hoping you can help me identify a lump that I have found on the top side of my 13 y.o. dog's paw.

Here's a photo: https://picasaweb.google.com/100316459255481596118/September52011?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMzbodCfkeG8BQ&feat=directlink

It's about 5mm wide, hard to the touch, and pressure doesn't seem to cause him any pain.

I know older dogs tend to get growths, but this one looks different to ones I've seen before, and it's his first one (I think!).#

Matt

lump on dog's paw

Hi Matt and thanks for your question.

First off, I always have to write a disclaimer when I look at photos of lumps online as I can't give you a diagnosis just by looking at the picture. However, this really looks like a regular old wart. I'd be very surprised if this ends up being anything to worry about.

There's not much we can do about warts other than remove them surgically or sometimes with a cryo-freezing unit. Stuff like compound-W won't work.

I would keep an eye on this and I'd see the vet if it is getting red and angry looking.

But the chances that this is cancerous are very small!

OK, thanks for your quick answer.

I understand that you can't be sure from looking, but good to know that I don't have to panic. I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks again,

Matt

Penis discharge in dog. Hello. My male Jack Russell dog is now 6-7 months old and lately, he has been... (96962 views)

Arthritis prevention. I have a VERY active 8-year-old German Wirehaired Pointer who LOVES to run. I know... (4783 views)

Shaking, Limping dog. yest. my dog was laying down inside my garage later on i noticed that she was... (24397 views)

When to put down older dog. I know my dog is on the way out, she has cataracts, hearing is dim, legs are shaky,... (5994 views)

Severely scratching ears. I've taken my dog to 3 vets so far for "allergy" symptoms. His episodes start with... (11203 views)

Laryngeal paralysis. Hi Dr. I have an 11 year old lab that has had breathing problems for some time now.... (18965 views)

Methamphetamine use by dog. "My dog has mental breakdown in which he acts like he is on drugs. he runs in... (15721 views)

Benadryl for swollen snout? my dogs face around the snout has become swollen not sure why but im guessing its... (20423 views)

dead skin on wound My dog has a skin Lesion due to a cage injury. He tried to get out the cage under... (29964 views)

Training blind dog. My rottweiler is blind and does not like to go outside. If I put her on a leash and... (9507 views)