Hair loss in patches.

Breed: unknown
Hi we live in a remote community up near Darwin in Australia. Four weeks ago we took a wee puppy off some local kids that were abusing her and have taken her in. We have wormed her and deflead her and she is alot healthier in general. I just have one problem. She is beginning to lose fur in patches and has red icthy skin in places. Mainly behind her front legs and behind her ears. Along her back she s starting to lose fur along her back. Do you think it could be mites? or maybe mange? We would love to take her to the vet but the vet only comes out once every three months and still has a while before he is out again. I was looking at treatments for mites and saw that Advocate has a treatment for mites and mange, is this worth a try? she is seven weeks old now. thanks for your time. Hannah Poi

Hi there Hannah...thanks for asking your question! Skin problems are always difficult to diagnose over the internet, but I'll see if I can give you some ideas! It certainly does sound like this could be some type of mange. Mange is actually a skin mite. There are two types - sarcoptic mange and demodectic mange. Hopefully, if it is mange it is sarcoptic because dogs that have demodectic mange will often have it for life. However, dogs that have sarcoptic mange (the type that can be cured) often have itchiness in the areas you have described.

Advocate (called Advantage Multi in North America) is very good for sarcoptic mange. It does seem to help with demodectic mange as well. With demodectic mange it helps to get the numbers of mites down to a manageable level. It may never 100% clear up demodectic mange but if given every month should really help.

If it is sarcoptic mange then you may notice that the pup gets a little more itchy for a few days after applying the Advocate. If you have other dogs that are in contact with this one then you should treat them as well as mange is contagious from dog to dog. Mange mites can bite people and cause little itchy red spots but they go away after a few days.

In North America, Advocate is only available by prescription, but it sounds like you are able to get it without a prescription in Australia.

I am not sure if Advocate is labelled for pups as young as 7 weeks. You may need to read the label to see what the youngest age is that you can apply it. You might need to wait until 8 weeks.

It is also possible that your pup has a bacterial skin infection. If this is the case she will not get better until she receives oral antibiotics and these would need to be prescribed by your vet.

Another possibility is ringworm, but this sounds unlikely with the symptoms you have described.

Hope she does well!

Swelling on ear. My 2 year old male beagle has a bump on his outer ear flap which resembles the post... (7125 views)

Scrubbing Bubbles toxic? My Toulouse is a male. I discovered one day that after I would exit the shower &... (20341 views)

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (30367 views)

Vomiting Dog. I contacted you about Little White Dog on April 24. She had had an exploratory to... (18895 views)

Infected spay incision? My puppy was spade last Thursday and I'm worried her incision is not healing... (52434 views)

Lump where umbilicus was. Hi, I have a kitten who is 4 weeks and a few days. Ive noticed today that where the... (17107 views)

Pig ears and diarrhea. Hi, My dog gets occasional diarrhea, like twice a week maybe, I had to take her... (13689 views)

Small dog ate large dog Trifexis. I gave my 3 dogs trifexis yesterday. My larger dog take the dose for 40.1 to 60... (22231 views)

Cat is very thirsty. I have a one year old cat, he eats well no concerns there, but he is consently... (9671 views)

Is diaphragmatic hernia causing problems? My 15 year old doggie, Pepper has been diagnosed with a diaphragmatic hernia & the... (5646 views)