Hair loss in patches.

Breed: unknown
Hi we live in a remote community up near Darwin in Australia. Four weeks ago we took a wee puppy off some local kids that were abusing her and have taken her in. We have wormed her and deflead her and she is alot healthier in general. I just have one problem. She is beginning to lose fur in patches and has red icthy skin in places. Mainly behind her front legs and behind her ears. Along her back she s starting to lose fur along her back. Do you think it could be mites? or maybe mange? We would love to take her to the vet but the vet only comes out once every three months and still has a while before he is out again. I was looking at treatments for mites and saw that Advocate has a treatment for mites and mange, is this worth a try? she is seven weeks old now. thanks for your time. Hannah Poi

Hi there Hannah...thanks for asking your question! Skin problems are always difficult to diagnose over the internet, but I'll see if I can give you some ideas! It certainly does sound like this could be some type of mange. Mange is actually a skin mite. There are two types - sarcoptic mange and demodectic mange. Hopefully, if it is mange it is sarcoptic because dogs that have demodectic mange will often have it for life. However, dogs that have sarcoptic mange (the type that can be cured) often have itchiness in the areas you have described.

Advocate (called Advantage Multi in North America) is very good for sarcoptic mange. It does seem to help with demodectic mange as well. With demodectic mange it helps to get the numbers of mites down to a manageable level. It may never 100% clear up demodectic mange but if given every month should really help.

If it is sarcoptic mange then you may notice that the pup gets a little more itchy for a few days after applying the Advocate. If you have other dogs that are in contact with this one then you should treat them as well as mange is contagious from dog to dog. Mange mites can bite people and cause little itchy red spots but they go away after a few days.

In North America, Advocate is only available by prescription, but it sounds like you are able to get it without a prescription in Australia.

I am not sure if Advocate is labelled for pups as young as 7 weeks. You may need to read the label to see what the youngest age is that you can apply it. You might need to wait until 8 weeks.

It is also possible that your pup has a bacterial skin infection. If this is the case she will not get better until she receives oral antibiotics and these would need to be prescribed by your vet.

Another possibility is ringworm, but this sounds unlikely with the symptoms you have described.

Hope she does well!

FIP? Fever and fluid. We brought Mo into the vet two weeks ago because he had stopped eating and grooming... (8868 views)

Spinal cord lymphoma Hello Dr. Marie, Our angel puppy Oreo passed away last night. We decided to move... (13166 views)

deramaxx, Dasuquin and AdvantixIII Is it ok for Casey to be on deramaxx desaquin and k9advantix 2... (9196 views)

Bengal Cat health questions. please could you read this topic Dr. Marie and answer to help this person? thank you... (10919 views)

Tapeworm and roundworm meds. Is it safe to give my cat praziquantel for his tapeworm 2 days after I gave him... (28438 views)

What foods to give cats? Yesterday I adopted two male cats. I am unsure what to feed them. Their foster mum... (8794 views)

Vomiting Dog My dog isn't eating, and when she drinks water, she throws it up. Her stomach seems... (11310 views)

Bladder stone surgery. I just returned from the vet where my dog still is. It was discovered through... (23594 views)

Itchy dog. This is a follow on of a question past #2740. Choo Choo's itch has continued all... (8004 views)

Intranasal vaccine reaction. our kitten seams to have had a reaction to her nasal vacine it had been about four... (9329 views)