Hair loss in patches.

Breed: unknown
Hi we live in a remote community up near Darwin in Australia. Four weeks ago we took a wee puppy off some local kids that were abusing her and have taken her in. We have wormed her and deflead her and she is alot healthier in general. I just have one problem. She is beginning to lose fur in patches and has red icthy skin in places. Mainly behind her front legs and behind her ears. Along her back she s starting to lose fur along her back. Do you think it could be mites? or maybe mange? We would love to take her to the vet but the vet only comes out once every three months and still has a while before he is out again. I was looking at treatments for mites and saw that Advocate has a treatment for mites and mange, is this worth a try? she is seven weeks old now. thanks for your time. Hannah Poi

Hi there Hannah...thanks for asking your question! Skin problems are always difficult to diagnose over the internet, but I'll see if I can give you some ideas! It certainly does sound like this could be some type of mange. Mange is actually a skin mite. There are two types - sarcoptic mange and demodectic mange. Hopefully, if it is mange it is sarcoptic because dogs that have demodectic mange will often have it for life. However, dogs that have sarcoptic mange (the type that can be cured) often have itchiness in the areas you have described.

Advocate (called Advantage Multi in North America) is very good for sarcoptic mange. It does seem to help with demodectic mange as well. With demodectic mange it helps to get the numbers of mites down to a manageable level. It may never 100% clear up demodectic mange but if given every month should really help.

If it is sarcoptic mange then you may notice that the pup gets a little more itchy for a few days after applying the Advocate. If you have other dogs that are in contact with this one then you should treat them as well as mange is contagious from dog to dog. Mange mites can bite people and cause little itchy red spots but they go away after a few days.

In North America, Advocate is only available by prescription, but it sounds like you are able to get it without a prescription in Australia.

I am not sure if Advocate is labelled for pups as young as 7 weeks. You may need to read the label to see what the youngest age is that you can apply it. You might need to wait until 8 weeks.

It is also possible that your pup has a bacterial skin infection. If this is the case she will not get better until she receives oral antibiotics and these would need to be prescribed by your vet.

Another possibility is ringworm, but this sounds unlikely with the symptoms you have described.

Hope she does well!

Spaying an older dog. My dog is 10 years old and has had 2 litters of puppies. I would like to have her... (7494 views)

Aggressive cat My cat is having some behavioral issues. When I got her as a kitten she always came... (9106 views)

Peeing on clothes. My old cat seems to be healthy, he eats well, is blind in one eye but that doesn't... (5994 views)

Swollen ear flap. i have a dog named shiloh and something is wrong with his ear and i just need to... (11299 views)

Recurring respiratory symptoms. My 1 yr old Burmese cat was purchased with what we think is cat flu. She has... (12122 views)

Fearful puppy? I just adopted a new puppy from a man who owned a farm. he had a few dogs and they... (6976 views)

Papilloma Virus. My seven month old puppy developed papilloma virus warts on his lips and then his... (24035 views)

Benadryl for allergies? Dear Dr. Marie, Sadie, my eight year old daschund has a skin condition that causes... (6799 views)

Sedative after heartworm treatment? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 and a half year old boxer/lab that is being treated... (13258 views)

Zodiac safe? Is Zodiac Spot Treatment safe to use on my small dog and... (9562 views)