Carnassial tooth slab fracture.

Breed: Mixed 30 lb (German
Hello Dr. Marie!

Thanks for offering this service! My 3 year old dog has absolutely no medical history and is in great shape, but lately her breath has been particularly offensive. I decided to brush her teeth with some Petrodex Enzymatic Toothpaste which is when I noticed something wrong with her teeth. I'll include links to the photos below and well as email them to you.

http://i.imgur.com/4MvXzNT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/wJzUlpW.jpg

The line you see going across (halfway down) the tooth is a crack I believe and the dark half nearest the gums seem loose. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, except when I touch the tooth. Also, the smell is definitely coming from here.

What do you think this is? She has an appointment to see a vet on Friday but I'm worried about her!

Thank you!

Best,

Michael

Hi Michael,

I've included the photos here:

dental problem

slab fracture on carnassial tooth

You have taken excellent photos.

Now, I can't give you an actual diagnosis over the internet but I can tell you that this could be something called a slab fracture. This is where part of the tooth gets sheared off. The most common reason for this would be chewing on something hard like a bone.

If you are noticing a smell then there may be some infection present which is common with a slab fracture.

The good news is that this is a treatable problem. But, it does require extracting the tooth under a general anesthetic. The roots of this tooth are healthy which means that the extraction can take a fair amount of time. (Unhealthy tooth roots are loose and come out easier.) What this means is that it can be an expensive procedure.

It really should be done though. If we give antibiotics it will clear up the infection temporarily but the pain of the fracture will always be there.

She is likely ok to wait until Friday to see the vet as long as she is still eating and seems happy.

I hope that helps!

Wow, thank you so much for that information Dr. Marie! I truly appreciate your prompt and detailed response. I think you hit the nail on the head with this one. I moved her appointment up to Wednesday so that we can start on antibiotics if needed ASAP. Again, thank you! It's nice to have access to an expert opinion and I'll share your site with my family and friends. Take care!

Dog doesn't like u/d For a dog that has once needed to have surgery to have bladder stones removed do you... (19175 views)

Cat with megacolon We have a cat, Poofter, who has mega-colon. The vet prescribed Hills Prescription... (11043 views)

Dog not urinating after neuter. Hi dr just wondering if you could help me. My 1year old American Akita diesel had... (42852 views)

Boxer skin problems. -I apologize in advance for the novel i wrote below- We are officially at a loss.... (51889 views)

Lump on my dog. Hello Dr. Marie, I sincerely hope that this is real, and that if it is and you... (34117 views)

Did Orbax cause diarrhea? Hi Dr Marie, it's me again regarding Bandit, my 4 yr old DSH. I had e-mailed you... (9311 views)

Is this mammary tumor cancerous? We have an 8 yr old shih Tzu, female spayed before first heat and we noticed a lump... (4353 views)

Non itchy bald spots. She has 3 bald spots on her head and 2-3 more around her body. Took her to the vet... (15291 views)

Can't walk, dehydrated puppy. My puppy is 3 months old. She was left at home with her dogsitter but was obviously... (15613 views)

Dog can't move tail. My dog's tail is bent at the base and it is almost as if she can't move it. It seems... (10887 views)