Carnassial tooth slab fracture.

Breed: Mixed 30 lb (German
Hello Dr. Marie!

Thanks for offering this service! My 3 year old dog has absolutely no medical history and is in great shape, but lately her breath has been particularly offensive. I decided to brush her teeth with some Petrodex Enzymatic Toothpaste which is when I noticed something wrong with her teeth. I'll include links to the photos below and well as email them to you.

http://i.imgur.com/4MvXzNT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/wJzUlpW.jpg

The line you see going across (halfway down) the tooth is a crack I believe and the dark half nearest the gums seem loose. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, except when I touch the tooth. Also, the smell is definitely coming from here.

What do you think this is? She has an appointment to see a vet on Friday but I'm worried about her!

Thank you!

Best,

Michael

Hi Michael,

I've included the photos here:

dental problem

slab fracture on carnassial tooth

You have taken excellent photos.

Now, I can't give you an actual diagnosis over the internet but I can tell you that this could be something called a slab fracture. This is where part of the tooth gets sheared off. The most common reason for this would be chewing on something hard like a bone.

If you are noticing a smell then there may be some infection present which is common with a slab fracture.

The good news is that this is a treatable problem. But, it does require extracting the tooth under a general anesthetic. The roots of this tooth are healthy which means that the extraction can take a fair amount of time. (Unhealthy tooth roots are loose and come out easier.) What this means is that it can be an expensive procedure.

It really should be done though. If we give antibiotics it will clear up the infection temporarily but the pain of the fracture will always be there.

She is likely ok to wait until Friday to see the vet as long as she is still eating and seems happy.

I hope that helps!

Wow, thank you so much for that information Dr. Marie! I truly appreciate your prompt and detailed response. I think you hit the nail on the head with this one. I moved her appointment up to Wednesday so that we can start on antibiotics if needed ASAP. Again, thank you! It's nice to have access to an expert opinion and I'll share your site with my family and friends. Take care!

Vomiting and diarrhea every two weeks. I adopted my yorkiepoo from a local shelter in 12/2012. From that time until a few... (11217 views)

Weakness in legs and thirsty. Dear Dr. Marie, Sammy has been having weakness in hind legs,difficulty standing... (11793 views)

Sores on dog's nose. Dr. Marie- Our dog has been breaking out in sore/boil/blister type bumps on his... (80634 views)

Lab gets into the garbage. Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year... (8819 views)

Mast Cell tumor? This past Saturday afternoon I was petting my dog and I noticed a small bump under... (22130 views)

Chronic doxycycline use. How many weeks can I safely keep my pug on 100 mg daily of doxycycline... (14766 views)

Uncomfortable cocker spaniel My 7 1/2 year old cocker spaniel came in from a walk last night with a stomach that... (41049 views)

Can't walk, dehydrated puppy. My puppy is 3 months old. She was left at home with her dogsitter but was obviously... (15998 views)

Can puppy go outside? I was just wondering when it is okay to take Marley for walkes? He only has his... (10011 views)

Time for euthanasia? My 19 year old cat has been ill for some time. For many years I have had to help... (6330 views)