Carnassial tooth slab fracture.

Breed: Mixed 30 lb (German
Hello Dr. Marie!

Thanks for offering this service! My 3 year old dog has absolutely no medical history and is in great shape, but lately her breath has been particularly offensive. I decided to brush her teeth with some Petrodex Enzymatic Toothpaste which is when I noticed something wrong with her teeth. I'll include links to the photos below and well as email them to you.

http://i.imgur.com/4MvXzNT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/wJzUlpW.jpg

The line you see going across (halfway down) the tooth is a crack I believe and the dark half nearest the gums seem loose. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, except when I touch the tooth. Also, the smell is definitely coming from here.

What do you think this is? She has an appointment to see a vet on Friday but I'm worried about her!

Thank you!

Best,

Michael

Hi Michael,

I've included the photos here:

dental problem

slab fracture on carnassial tooth

You have taken excellent photos.

Now, I can't give you an actual diagnosis over the internet but I can tell you that this could be something called a slab fracture. This is where part of the tooth gets sheared off. The most common reason for this would be chewing on something hard like a bone.

If you are noticing a smell then there may be some infection present which is common with a slab fracture.

The good news is that this is a treatable problem. But, it does require extracting the tooth under a general anesthetic. The roots of this tooth are healthy which means that the extraction can take a fair amount of time. (Unhealthy tooth roots are loose and come out easier.) What this means is that it can be an expensive procedure.

It really should be done though. If we give antibiotics it will clear up the infection temporarily but the pain of the fracture will always be there.

She is likely ok to wait until Friday to see the vet as long as she is still eating and seems happy.

I hope that helps!

Wow, thank you so much for that information Dr. Marie! I truly appreciate your prompt and detailed response. I think you hit the nail on the head with this one. I moved her appointment up to Wednesday so that we can start on antibiotics if needed ASAP. Again, thank you! It's nice to have access to an expert opinion and I'll share your site with my family and friends. Take care!

Home remedy for ear infection? Hello, My golden bailey was sprayed by a skunk in September, his shots are up to... (16803 views)

Grief after dog's death. I need your help, please... for peace of mind so I can sleep and live with myself. ... (12922 views)

Homemade chicken jerky treats for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, If you do choose to answer my questions, I thank you so much in... (7263 views)

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (11039 views)

Dog not urinating after neuter. Hi dr just wondering if you could help me. My 1year old American Akita diesel had... (66555 views)

Rare form hepatitis. I got Sadie in January this year. She is a rescue. She's been sick since February.... (6616 views)

Salt lick for dogs? My dog is constantly licking things (windows, sprinkler heads, feet, floors, ect)... (58714 views)

Is this rabies? My dog is going crazy. He's been shaking and walking somewhere and walking back for... (9341 views)

Liver disease in a cat. Ruby is 8 years old, and was diagnosed with liver disease last Thursday. I could... (18394 views)

Peeing in house and throwing up. My dog has not woke us up to be let ouside since he has been house trained. A... (71811 views)