Ketoconazole for dogs.

Breed: mixed breed - akita
How safe is it to give my dog ketoconazole 200 mg tab fur a fungal infection? The side effects concern me

Ketoconazole is not a drug that I use often. However, there are times when a dog needs an oral antifungal medication and nothing else will do.

I agree with you that if you read the drug label it looks like ketoconazole is quite scary. In truth, if you read almost any drug label, the list of side effects can be large.

In a healthy dog I rarely have concerns about using ketoconazole and I would consider it safe. I wouldn't use it in a dog with liver problems because it can cause liver problems to get worse.

It is possible, for a healthy dog to get liver disease as a result of being on ketoconazole. For this reason, I usually recommend doing some blood tests periodically when I have a dog on this drug for a long time.

Some dogs will have some mild stomach upset on this drug. If this happens your vet may prescribe medication to help.

If your vet has recommended ketoconzaole then it is likely necessary. You can speak to them about whether some bloodwork is a good idea.

Hope all goes well!

p.s. if you have more concerns feel free to reply. I will however be offline for about 30 minutes or so.

Neuter at 8 weeks? We are trying to decide when to get our male kitten spayed. He is around 2 months... (6605 views)

Cancer or infection? My dog recently completed radiation therapy for a brain tumor and he handled the... (5674 views)

Benadryl for dogs How much Benadryl can I give my dog? I think he is having an allergic reaction to a... (15099 views)

Urinating in house. Bella has started urinating in places other than her litter box. She has not been... (5128 views)

Blood in stool. Hi, this is going to be a really long question so my apologies in advance, but we... (11048 views)

Perianal fistula Dear Dr Marie, My baby doggie, Mushka, has developed small pimple-sized boils... (24704 views)

Meowing all the time? pain? Hi Dr. Marie Our cat has a virus infection and is on medication, and an eye drops.... (7786 views)

Cat limping and vomiting. Today I noticed that my cat was limping a bit. Later on in the day I noticed that... (17736 views)

Limping kitten my kitten has started losing alot of weight and he is limping. his back left paw is... (10017 views)

White urine in guinea pig. My Guinea Pigs urine is a white color (or possibly cloudy). Is this something we... (46355 views)