Ketoconazole for dogs.

Breed: mixed breed - akita
How safe is it to give my dog ketoconazole 200 mg tab fur a fungal infection? The side effects concern me

Ketoconazole is not a drug that I use often. However, there are times when a dog needs an oral antifungal medication and nothing else will do.

I agree with you that if you read the drug label it looks like ketoconazole is quite scary. In truth, if you read almost any drug label, the list of side effects can be large.

In a healthy dog I rarely have concerns about using ketoconazole and I would consider it safe. I wouldn't use it in a dog with liver problems because it can cause liver problems to get worse.

It is possible, for a healthy dog to get liver disease as a result of being on ketoconazole. For this reason, I usually recommend doing some blood tests periodically when I have a dog on this drug for a long time.

Some dogs will have some mild stomach upset on this drug. If this happens your vet may prescribe medication to help.

If your vet has recommended ketoconzaole then it is likely necessary. You can speak to them about whether some bloodwork is a good idea.

Hope all goes well!

p.s. if you have more concerns feel free to reply. I will however be offline for about 30 minutes or so.

Meds safe for small dog? Good evening! I recently adopted a toy poodle. She is currently 4 months old (DOB... (6952 views)

Vomiting every day. My cat has been throwing up almost every day for weeks but not after feeding. This... (29882 views)

Increased appetite and hair loss. My Burmese cat is losing her hair all over and I am concerned about how hungry she... (6100 views)

Improper tail docking? I just acquired my puppy from a backyard breeder who I was told cut off the puppies... (7763 views)

Older cat missing litter box. My 18 year old male cat is getting into the liter box and urinating on the floor... (15053 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (16362 views)

Staffordshire terriers and children. I have two female staffies who are extremely close, but who will nip and snarl at... (7118 views)

Hypothermic dog. Two days ago my black lab pup fell threw some ice, he was in the water for about 5... (9117 views)

Golden with itchy abdomen. Hello My dog Henri has been constantly licking and chewing his underside inside... (32908 views)

Beagle with neck pain. I have an 8-yr. old (9 in March) female beagle. Almost a month ago, one morning she... (13151 views)