Ketoconazole for dogs.

Breed: mixed breed - akita
How safe is it to give my dog ketoconazole 200 mg tab fur a fungal infection? The side effects concern me

Ketoconazole is not a drug that I use often. However, there are times when a dog needs an oral antifungal medication and nothing else will do.

I agree with you that if you read the drug label it looks like ketoconazole is quite scary. In truth, if you read almost any drug label, the list of side effects can be large.

In a healthy dog I rarely have concerns about using ketoconazole and I would consider it safe. I wouldn't use it in a dog with liver problems because it can cause liver problems to get worse.

It is possible, for a healthy dog to get liver disease as a result of being on ketoconazole. For this reason, I usually recommend doing some blood tests periodically when I have a dog on this drug for a long time.

Some dogs will have some mild stomach upset on this drug. If this happens your vet may prescribe medication to help.

If your vet has recommended ketoconzaole then it is likely necessary. You can speak to them about whether some bloodwork is a good idea.

Hope all goes well!

p.s. if you have more concerns feel free to reply. I will however be offline for about 30 minutes or so.

Elderly cat not eating. my cat is elderly, arthritic and diabetic - but very lovely :) she was diagnosed... (5981 views)

Red spots under arms and legs. my dog has red spots under her arms and now on her legs what could it be... (14168 views)

Steroid shot and NSAID? Hi Dr. Marie, Bare with me in my lengthy explanation :) I recently found out... (10056 views)

Red dots on dog's abdomen. Hello. My dog Biscuit has been having red dots like skin under his abdominal. It... (5902 views)

Sick cat. HI. MY cat has been sick for the last two months or so. The last few weeks however,... (11396 views)

Did neutering affect dog's bladder? My dog is 10 months old and was neutered 3 weeks ago. He was on antibiotics prior to... (19323 views)

Dog pulling hair out of wrist. Well, Looks like there was an infection and he's on zeniquin 100 for 14d now.... (24406 views)

viscious dogs Killer dogs next door! We live next door to 4 dogs, a female German Shepard, a... (12918 views)

Old dog vomiting. My dog has been throwing up food that she eats except soft stuff, she is old and she... (16364 views)

Is this distemper? I live in Mexico and I rescued Trinket when she was 8 to 10 weeks old. She had... (9341 views)