Ketoconazole for dogs.

Breed: mixed breed - akita
How safe is it to give my dog ketoconazole 200 mg tab fur a fungal infection? The side effects concern me

Ketoconazole is not a drug that I use often. However, there are times when a dog needs an oral antifungal medication and nothing else will do.

I agree with you that if you read the drug label it looks like ketoconazole is quite scary. In truth, if you read almost any drug label, the list of side effects can be large.

In a healthy dog I rarely have concerns about using ketoconazole and I would consider it safe. I wouldn't use it in a dog with liver problems because it can cause liver problems to get worse.

It is possible, for a healthy dog to get liver disease as a result of being on ketoconazole. For this reason, I usually recommend doing some blood tests periodically when I have a dog on this drug for a long time.

Some dogs will have some mild stomach upset on this drug. If this happens your vet may prescribe medication to help.

If your vet has recommended ketoconzaole then it is likely necessary. You can speak to them about whether some bloodwork is a good idea.

Hope all goes well!

p.s. if you have more concerns feel free to reply. I will however be offline for about 30 minutes or so.

Guinea pig with mammary tumor. what does a large open lump on a guinea pigs tit mean? the tit has gone!... (15770 views)

Dog keeps licking butt. My dog keeps licking her butt. I took her 2 days ago to have her anal glands... (21937 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog Piper, suddenly died today for no apparent reason. She has been... (25125 views)

Sick, limping puppy. Good Evening I know my puppy needs to go to the vet however the vet will not be... (10586 views)

sexing a cat WE found a stray cat and our question is how can we tell what gender it... (11675 views)

Dog ate a needle. My dog had not been eating his usual amount and I was watching him, he then began to... (13965 views)

Lethargic after Trifexis. Hello, Thank you for your help. My beagle, Daisy (25 lbs), ate her dose of... (31193 views)

Pit Bull won't eat. My 3 year old Pit Bull/Boxer mix isn't eating as normal. She was a rescued stray... (16175 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog is a mutt, 14yrs old, and has been acting strangely as of late. She doesn't... (13996 views)

Cooked garlic safety? I have 2 dogs. An 8 pound shipoo and a 20 pound mini shnauzer. The shipoo has... (9403 views)