Ketoconazole for dogs.

Breed: mixed breed - akita
How safe is it to give my dog ketoconazole 200 mg tab fur a fungal infection? The side effects concern me

Ketoconazole is not a drug that I use often. However, there are times when a dog needs an oral antifungal medication and nothing else will do.

I agree with you that if you read the drug label it looks like ketoconazole is quite scary. In truth, if you read almost any drug label, the list of side effects can be large.

In a healthy dog I rarely have concerns about using ketoconazole and I would consider it safe. I wouldn't use it in a dog with liver problems because it can cause liver problems to get worse.

It is possible, for a healthy dog to get liver disease as a result of being on ketoconazole. For this reason, I usually recommend doing some blood tests periodically when I have a dog on this drug for a long time.

Some dogs will have some mild stomach upset on this drug. If this happens your vet may prescribe medication to help.

If your vet has recommended ketoconzaole then it is likely necessary. You can speak to them about whether some bloodwork is a good idea.

Hope all goes well!

p.s. if you have more concerns feel free to reply. I will however be offline for about 30 minutes or so.

Dog ate dark chocolate. My 12 pound maltese ate two fun sized baby ruths, a fun sized butterfinger, and one... (17355 views)

Sterile nodular panniculitis? Hi, My dog has a patch of nodules on his neck. I took him to our normal vet five... (30626 views)

Starting pay of a vet. I'm a student hoping to study Vet Med but I might need to get student loan for the... (5503 views)

Red bubble in corner of eye. My dog has a red membrane sticking out from the corner of his eye - kind of like a... (22940 views)

Peeing in house. I have a 10 year old female cat that has never consistently used the litter box in... (5424 views)

Dog's eye is closed. Hello, My dog was playing with his toy and shaking it around and when he was... (32446 views)

Vomiting and runny eyes. Hello Doc! My cat Princess started throwing up this morning. First two times was... (42434 views)

No bowel movement after dentistry. Dear Dr Marie, Thank you for creating this website. I have a 12 year old male... (10408 views)

Old deaf dog. my dog is 16 yrs old and since he's gone deaf he gets very agitated when left,... (8237 views)

Golden retriever coughing. This weekend I was dog sitting for my dad's three dogs while he was out of town.... (11047 views)