Ketoconazole for dogs.

Breed: mixed breed - akita
How safe is it to give my dog ketoconazole 200 mg tab fur a fungal infection? The side effects concern me

Ketoconazole is not a drug that I use often. However, there are times when a dog needs an oral antifungal medication and nothing else will do.

I agree with you that if you read the drug label it looks like ketoconazole is quite scary. In truth, if you read almost any drug label, the list of side effects can be large.

In a healthy dog I rarely have concerns about using ketoconazole and I would consider it safe. I wouldn't use it in a dog with liver problems because it can cause liver problems to get worse.

It is possible, for a healthy dog to get liver disease as a result of being on ketoconazole. For this reason, I usually recommend doing some blood tests periodically when I have a dog on this drug for a long time.

Some dogs will have some mild stomach upset on this drug. If this happens your vet may prescribe medication to help.

If your vet has recommended ketoconzaole then it is likely necessary. You can speak to them about whether some bloodwork is a good idea.

Hope all goes well!

p.s. if you have more concerns feel free to reply. I will however be offline for about 30 minutes or so.

Eye medicine for my cat. We adopted A domestic short haired cat from our local animal shelter. He had an eye... (8409 views)

Bald patches on cats. I have twin cats, brother and sister. They are indoor cats and both overweight. They... (6823 views)

Sick after having puppies. I have an important question about my dog. She had puppies 2 weeks ago and suddenly... (9606 views)

Cat with pseudomonas infection. Sorry to bother you again. I wrote to you abt Shakey who has Pseudomas bacteria... (8618 views)

Puppy vomiting and not eating. my do seems to be sick she will not really eat and she has lost most of her energy... (13358 views)

Seizures and not eating. Earlier in the week Cash had a pee/poop/vomit fest in the house, unusual for him. ... (7608 views)

Pit bull with rash. My dog has a bumpy red rash on her inner hip area,around her tail and her private... (7799 views)

Should liver biopsy be done? Dear Dr Haines, I have a 10 year old Bichon-Poodle-Maltese mix male dog (Max). ... (6065 views)

Clavamox drops out of fridge. Hey Doc...Sparky was put on Clavamox drops because he has an abscess. The vet... (48267 views)

Pooping in the house. Hi Ipurchased a dog from a pet rescue organisation in Sydney just over three months... (14153 views)