Occult blood in urine.

Breed: Jackapoo
Hi Dr. Marie

This is in regard to Oreo, I dont know if you recall our situation from a year ago when he was diagnosed with Vacuolar Hepatopathy? He had a liver biopsy and he had ALT and ALKP levels all over the place. He was put on Denamarin and now it's been a little over a year and he is doing good.

Oreo had some blood work done last week along with a urinalysis. I love my vet so much but there are times when I wonder if I should change vets because she doesnt tell me the total truth when she calls me with results. Overall he had good results, his ALT was 122 nothing to worry about and she felt and I agree, that the Denamarin is helping. His ALKP was up but that has bounced around alot in the last 18 months. Last week it was 585 and I beleive last year at the University clinic we went to at University of Wisconsin in Madison, it was 650. Then last spring it came down, now it has gone up. Oreo has been tested for Cushings and Addisons, no sign of either disease. So while you might recall I worry, I have learned a bit to chill out because my vet was taught that you treat the dog and not the numbers.

However what has me concerned is she mailed me a copy of his results and she either forgot to tell me some high areas of his urinalysis or she didnt think it was that significant. So if I may, let me run it by you...

He was catherized...color was yellow...appearance....cloudy...everything normal except Occult Blood was 3+ and RBC was 11-20.

Now I try not to google this stuff cos it what I find I dont understand, LOL and if I do sort of understand it, it ends up scaring the crap out of me.

So I read on some website that the Occult blood 3+ is indicative of some problems. I just dont understand why my vet neglected to tell me this and about the RBC of 11-20.

So here I am at nearly midnight wondering why?

I've always valued your input and believe it or not the ALKP of 585 doesn't worry me! I think his will always bounce around.

Your input is very valued. Thanks so much and congrats on your baby!

Sincere wishes

Suzie

Hi Suzie. Of course I remember Oreo. So glad to hear that he is doing well.

Occult blood means that there is blood that is present in very small amounts - too small to be seen with the naked eye but able to be picked up with laboratory tests.

It is very common to have occult blood in the urine if the sample was obtained by catheterization or if a needle was used to get urine directly from the bladder. This is because the catheter can be a little irritating to the urethra even with the gentlest of techniques. (Or, if a needle was used then it can cause some bleeding.)

If you really wanted to determine if there is a problem you could wait a couple of days and have the vet get a free catch sample and analyze that, but I think it is very unlikely that there would be an issue. Your vet would really only be worried about the blood if there were other issues with the urine such as the presence of bacteria, crystals or an abnormally high pH. I am guessing that the vet did not tell you about the blood because she knew you would be worried unnecessarily!

It sounds like Oreo is still doing well.

OK to keep cats in a small room? I am concerned for two cats that I know. They live in a house where they are... (4986 views)

15 year old dog with kidney failure. My dog Gyppie had a bloody stool, large. We took her to the vet. He ran blood work,... (7857 views)

Pumpkin for anal glands. My dog has anal gland troubles, the vet mentioned fiber treats, I was wondering for... (33154 views)

Chaning cat's thyroid medication. Hi, my cat is 13 and 1/2 years old. He was diagnosted hyperthyorid 2 1/2 months ago.... (6803 views)

Heart murmur. In Emerg, as part of an exam in preparation for sedation, a level 2 heart murmur was... (15692 views)

Dog died suddenly. Please help me....My dog lucky (6) was found dead at the side of our house the other... (49549 views)

Papilloma Virus. My seven month old puppy developed papilloma virus warts on his lips and then his... (23735 views)

Dog has liver cancer. Our 12 year old Golden/Lab mix has been diagnosed with liver cancer. What can we do... (23394 views)

Can dogs drink tea? Can dogs drink tea? I have been told by quite a few people that it helps puppies to... (54496 views)

PU surgery on a cat? Hi Dr. Marie , I hope you can help me with my cat, Jack. He is 1 ½ years old and... (9158 views)