Occult blood in urine.

Breed: Jackapoo
Hi Dr. Marie

This is in regard to Oreo, I dont know if you recall our situation from a year ago when he was diagnosed with Vacuolar Hepatopathy? He had a liver biopsy and he had ALT and ALKP levels all over the place. He was put on Denamarin and now it's been a little over a year and he is doing good.

Oreo had some blood work done last week along with a urinalysis. I love my vet so much but there are times when I wonder if I should change vets because she doesnt tell me the total truth when she calls me with results. Overall he had good results, his ALT was 122 nothing to worry about and she felt and I agree, that the Denamarin is helping. His ALKP was up but that has bounced around alot in the last 18 months. Last week it was 585 and I beleive last year at the University clinic we went to at University of Wisconsin in Madison, it was 650. Then last spring it came down, now it has gone up. Oreo has been tested for Cushings and Addisons, no sign of either disease. So while you might recall I worry, I have learned a bit to chill out because my vet was taught that you treat the dog and not the numbers.

However what has me concerned is she mailed me a copy of his results and she either forgot to tell me some high areas of his urinalysis or she didnt think it was that significant. So if I may, let me run it by you...

He was catherized...color was yellow...appearance....cloudy...everything normal except Occult Blood was 3+ and RBC was 11-20.

Now I try not to google this stuff cos it what I find I dont understand, LOL and if I do sort of understand it, it ends up scaring the crap out of me.

So I read on some website that the Occult blood 3+ is indicative of some problems. I just dont understand why my vet neglected to tell me this and about the RBC of 11-20.

So here I am at nearly midnight wondering why?

I've always valued your input and believe it or not the ALKP of 585 doesn't worry me! I think his will always bounce around.

Your input is very valued. Thanks so much and congrats on your baby!

Sincere wishes

Suzie

Hi Suzie. Of course I remember Oreo. So glad to hear that he is doing well.

Occult blood means that there is blood that is present in very small amounts - too small to be seen with the naked eye but able to be picked up with laboratory tests.

It is very common to have occult blood in the urine if the sample was obtained by catheterization or if a needle was used to get urine directly from the bladder. This is because the catheter can be a little irritating to the urethra even with the gentlest of techniques. (Or, if a needle was used then it can cause some bleeding.)

If you really wanted to determine if there is a problem you could wait a couple of days and have the vet get a free catch sample and analyze that, but I think it is very unlikely that there would be an issue. Your vet would really only be worried about the blood if there were other issues with the urine such as the presence of bacteria, crystals or an abnormally high pH. I am guessing that the vet did not tell you about the blood because she knew you would be worried unnecessarily!

It sounds like Oreo is still doing well.

Sick kitten We recently found this kitten last week outside, when we found him we estimated that... (8076 views)

Bad breath he has bad breath is there a way to look after it without the vet... (7161 views)

Stuffed up nose. Dear Vet, We have a 12 year old Australian Shepard, 80 pound male. He is not having... (10318 views)

Cat meows constantly. Hello- Our 8 year old male cat meows constantly, and he does things like dribble... (9505 views)

Sneezing cat. We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2... (12457 views)

Is my dog hypothyroid? My bichon is obese. She weighs 35 lbs but is also taller than my other bichon who... (6452 views)

Bump on dog's neck. Hello, I found a small, pink, raised bump on my dog's neck this morning. It is... (106075 views)

Cat howls at night time. Hi - Rusty is almost 15 yrs. and meows and howls at night. Basically, he throws a... (20242 views)

Needs anals done often. Heidi is having trouble with anal glands. She is on a home cooked diet, mostly... (9115 views)

Kitten diarrhea the kitten is about 2mths old and has diarea she was a wild kitten born outside... (9329 views)