Rapid wheezing in a cat.

Breed: Lynx Point Siamese
My family adopted a cat from the humane society almost a year ago. When we got her she was just finishing up her last dose of medicine for an URI. Once we took her home everything has been fine and she had no signs of a remaining URI. We took her to the vet and everything checked out good. She walks funny (with a hobble) and the vet believed that she got hit by a car but has no remaining pain from it. She does have a wheezing/snoring sound that she makes at times when she breathes in. It doesn't sound painful, but I'm sure it's annoying for her. I have noticed that she would go through phases of breathing rapid shallow breaths. Everything that I look up on the internet points to something wrong. Other times though, she breathes just fine. She acts just like a normal cat. She plays, eats, drinks, and goes to the bathroom normal. Lately though she has been having more episodes of this rapid shallow breathing and will be purring for hours, which I know can be a sign that something is wrong. It seems like these episodes come at night and even when she is sleeping her breathing is abnormal. I also noticed that when she is having this abnormal breathing she curls up into a ball and resituates herself in that position many many times.

This is a tough question to answer without examining Lily.

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is a bout of asthma. Cats with asthma can have rapid wheezing and breathing or coughing.

If this is the case then sometimes we do not treat. Sometimes we treat with very small doses of steroid tablets, and sometimes we treat with an inhaler.

One of the best things you could do is videotape the episodes and have your vet take a look. They should be able to tell you if this sounds like asthma or not.

Dog licking at penis. Hi doc- Little background- Austin is 4- very active, outgoing. He has Addison's... (262910 views)

Stinky skin in pug. My pug is losing his hair and the skin is turning black around his neck. It started... (17656 views)

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (7208 views)

Scabby rash on belly and back. My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on... (19087 views)

Lentigo? My cat has weird dark spots on the bald part in front of the ear canal. They look... (11253 views)

Short of breath and runny nose. My dog is shor of breath, has a runny nose, and is shaking please help me I do not... (6997 views)

Dog with colonic tumor. Hi - Our nearly 11 year old male yellow lab has had quite a week. He has been... (19111 views)

Brewer's Yeast for fleas. Is brewers yeast and garlic a safe treatment for deterring fleas and ticks,... (17772 views)

Cat behavior problem. We got a 13 year old girl recently (just months ago, not even a year). And we have a... (9745 views)

Cyst on dog? My toy rat terrier chiuaua mix has a clear bumpy thing on her side just below her... (6838 views)